Code of Conduct
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14
    Dependent

Default Re: Mixerscent Attar and deep Vintage Sample Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    I got about an hour out of it. It was pretty subtle; you’re right.

Today I have Godet Cuir de Russie on one arm and a Qtip scraping from the inside of the empty Chanel Cuir de Russie vial on the other. The Godet reminds me of the soaps they had in Paris hotels about 20 years ago. Kind of a gummy scent with some strong resins. I imagine there may have been an aldehydic top that has faded.

The Chanel is recognizable to me as itself. It’s so much softer and more cozy than the birchy current EDP. I can see why vintage hunters seek this out. It makes me want to try vintage Bois des Iles.
    Oh honey, vintage BdI is to DIE for! I only wish I had some left from a tiny bottle I purchased several years ago - talk about falling down a rabbit hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr1973 View Post
    Oh honey, vintage BdI is to DIE for! I only wish I had some left from a tiny bottle I purchased several years ago - talk about falling down a rabbit hole!
    Oh my... I can see this is eventually going to cost me some money...

Btw, Basenoters, I just got back in from my travels (including the meetup) last night, so I should be able to delve back into the pass this evening.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr1973 View Post
    I sampled an 80s EDC concentration of BDI and that stuff was wonderful. Have you tried vintage Egoiste?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I sampled an 80s EDC concentration of BDI and that stuff was wonderful. Have you tried vintage Egoiste?
    The oldest Egoiste I’ve sampled was 2008, so sadly not.

I have some more reviews for you guys:

Vol de Nuit Vintage

This is a far cry from the current EDT of which I have a sample. That one is a faint floral powdery with a clear narcissus note. This is almost a totally different perfume: it’s as if someone spilled some current Vol de Nuit into a vat of Jicky. I get narcissus, Guerlainade, and lavender. It’s not as animalic as Jicky, but not as tame as Pour Une Homme. This is really gorgeous; I had no idea! I thought the current Vol de Nuit was more similar to the original than it is.

Elie Saab Vetiver

A nice, dense vetiver that reminds me of Sycomore. It’s dense without being too smoky, and it doesn’t smell skunky, either. It’s natural and grassy with an undercurrent of powder. I think this take on vetiver is more feminine than most.

Parfum Sartorial Homme Iris

This is all effervescent and sparkly like an iris-flavored soda. And it has good waft, too. I seem to have a mild skin allergy to it, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Kotori; 2nd June 2019 at 11:58 PM.

Elie Saab Neroli

A peppery neroli with an ink-forward indolic note. There is also some spice in there. Maybe saffron. Maybe clove. A technicolor interpretation that does not lean too soapy or go powdery. It’s a bit sharp and difficult to wear for the first few minutes until it settles. It stays dark and syrupy even as it clings closer to the skin.

No. 19 Vintage Parfum

So floral I almost don’t recognize it— round and smooth. I think there is orange blossom somewhere in there, or jasmine, holding it all together. I’ve never smelled it in the modern versions. The iris is toned down and the rose and greens are tuned up. Gorgeous.

Nombre Noire

Rose, powder, leather: Ombré Rose meets Bandit. The leather is acrid and a bit rotting. The rose is sugared. The powder is the kind ladies used to keep in pretty boxes on their dressers.

Dia Man Khanjar

Grass, ozone, patchouli— earth after rain.

Gold Man

The family resemblance is striking: this is a lot like Gold Woman, which I can see now must be a shadow of its former self. The aldehydes are perky without being sneeze-inducing. The jasmine is sweet and strong. The frankincense and myrrh make it smell exotic and rich. There seems to be real sandalwood in the base. I enjoy this more than Gold Woman, and I would definitely wear it over the feminine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I'm glad you liked this one, Zephyr. It's fairly light on me. I can smell it most of a day, but it's almost too light to project to other people after an hour or so.
    It is really light on me.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Hi folks-

My little bottle of Godet Petite Fleur Bleue arrived, all the way from France:
    Attachment 99479
    After a quick test, I believe this may be the EDT formulation, but it is fresh and potent (with an internal plastic plug) and I find it true to the parfum included in the pass. No idea of the date, but it could be from the 1950's, during the brief postwar revival of the house. Quite happy to have this. It's reminding of Coty Paris (1923) and I plan to compare them when I have a chance.
    A couple of small bottles of this came today. Rose, Sandalwood Soapy CiveT EDT. Nice 50's Feminine Soapiness that still scents beautiful on my Masculine skin.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    A couple of small bottles of this came today. Rose, Sandalwood Soapy CiveT EDT. Nice 50's Feminine Soapiness that still scents beautiful on my Masculine skin.
    Small bottles of Petite Fleur Bleue? Nifty! Where did you find them? The Etsy vendor who had them seems to have disappeared...
    Currently wearing: Joy by Jean Patou

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Small bottles of Petite Fleur Bleue? Nifty! Where did you find them? The Etsy vendor who had them seems to have disappeared...
    Yes, the Etsy Vendor out of France sold the two bottles and dispatched them quick to Canada. Soapy Sandalwood with a light Civet.
    A nice orange blossom incense that provides a softer feminine reminiscent to my 92 Guerlain Habit Rouge.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Hi all!

Kotori seems to be last in the queue, and she let me know that some of the samples still have enough left to send on to one more person. Would it be okay if I jumped in on the tail end of this?
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    Would it be okay if I jumped in on the tail end of this?
    I certainly vote "Yes", but only if you promise to withhold your final notes until August 29th, so we can have a party to celebrate the 2nd birthday of this pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I certainly vote "Yes", but only if you promise to withhold your final notes until August 29th, so we can have a party to celebrate the 2nd birthday of this pass.
    Sure!
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    Sure!
    You could slow things down like limit yourself to two reviews per week, that should get you to the end of August.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

I could also hold it a few more days! I haven’t sent it yet! I think I have one more thing to sniff. Here’s some of my review backlog:

Iris Gris by Legendary Fragrances

Hm. Not at all what I was expecting. After reading a great deal about this fragrance in its various forms, I was expecting kind of a Mitsouko-like velvety iris. With peach. But this smells anisic and resinous. There were these barrel-shaped rootbeer-flavored hard candies when I was little, and the initial smell of this fragrance strikes a balance between the smell of those and the smell of the little black licorice chews that people kept in candy bowls. I don’t smell a lot of iris.

Godet Petite Fleur Bleue
    This reminds me a bit of Apres L’Ondee, but less sweet and round. It’s a smell that reminds me of French soap bars. I smell the incense notes, and the combination of floral notes and incense puts it into a similar genre as Angelique Encens by Creed, but I much prefer the Creed. Petite Fleur Bleue is a nice time capsule. I don’t think I’d wear it.

Iterji Adghal

Rose. A big, jammy rose. A hint of violet. An animalic leather that smells like feet (I’m assuming this is some very real oud.) Taken together, I am rushed with a strong olfactory memory of my time in Greece 20 years ago: at a local eatery in a small town sprinkled with vineyards. Like much of Europe, there is no free water placed at the tables. Instead, the free drink was a small carafe of fruity-dry rose wine that tasted suspiciously of feet.

After a few minutes, oppoponax and spices come out and balance the footy aspect. The rose also takes a back seat. It is now a more typical middle eastern style blend with resins, spices, and rose. Not a fan of the opening, but after a few minutes, it’s good. Eventually, an hour in or so, it is very woody/oudy and at this point I really understand it as an oud. It’s gorgeous, and worth the wait.

Amouage Lyric Man

Opening is a sheer floral blend. Feels feminine, not masculine. In a moment something mentholated emerges, which brings it more solidly into masculine territory, IMO. I have a difficult time knowing what I’m smelling. Jasmine. Rubbery tobacco. Spices. Then suddenly it’s very sweet. Reminds me a bit of Bvlgari Black.

I also realized I didn’t review the Tribute attars, though I did wear them. They were really gorgeous! I remember feeling surrounded by luxury with their leathery spicy oudy fruity plushness. And I remember liking the earlier one much better than the later one.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post

There were these barrel-shaped rootbeer-flavored hard candies when I was little, and the initial smell of this fragrance strikes a balance between the smell of those and the smell of the little black licorice chews that people kept in candy bowls. I don’t smell a lot of iris.
    Wow, I hadn't thought of those root beer barrel candies in 20 or 30 years, but you just made me realize that's sort of what Vaninger by Oliver & Co. smells like too!

I'll have to start checking drugstores to see if anyone still sells those little barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Wow, I hadn't thought of those root beer barrel candies in 20 or 30 years, but you just made me realize that's sort of what Vaninger by Oliver & Co. smells like too!

I'll have to start checking drugstores to see if anyone still sells those little barrels.
    Yeah, it was a weird thought! My boys would love them.

Thanks to Kotori for sending to me what was left of the pass. Some are empty already but many have enough left. I'll start with Amouage since that's the house I'm most familiar with.

Amouage Gold Man

Very floral opening. I feel like I'm rolling in a field of flowers in the Swiss Alps. It's also very green. Quite tart and I get aldehydes. The gentle incense builds in the background. Then in the heart it becomes musky/powdery with salty green moss. Longevity is outstanding. Ten hours later I could still smell it. The drydown was simple powdery musk.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Tried another Amouage Saturday night and one last night. Amouage Khanjar vial was empty.

Epic Man

Opens very fruity. Lots of berry. But soon I get spices and incense. A bit herbal, a bit gourmand, but the incense prevents it from going full gourmand. I can make out the sweetness of nutmeg, the sharpness of cumin, and the warmth of cardamom. A lot of the individual spices are really there individually and not just an all-spice blur. A little bit of sandalwood and patchouli comes through. It's sweet aged vanilla patchouli. A little musk enters about an hour in. About two hours in I get a bit of geranium and a taste of leather but the strength has weakened considerably. It really dropped off abruptly to become not much more than a skin scent. A good start that just kind of vanished for me.

Lyric Man

Opening is very strong lime with hints of orange, bergamot, and rose in the background. Something musky too, and I'm already getting green galbanum. Distantly pine. It's nice but a little overwhelming. Too much coming at me right off the bat, it's a pile on of notes. Then the rose arises further, becomes more dominant. Still with tart lime and crisp pine. Soon I can detect nutmeg and creamy vanilla sandalwood. Omg then spicy saffron. A taste of musk which grows over time. A touch of the incense joins it. I'm kind of going crazy with this one, so many individual notes to discover in it. An extremely nice fragrance overall. Very layered. Even some bergamot dances back in as it dries down. It become a little lemony for a while. The only downside on this fragrance for me is that it's almost too much, too many notes coming at me at the same time. But I could see this growing on me.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Amouage Tribute Black box

Meaty smoke and leather in the opening. This likely has cade in it because cade always smells like burnt meat to me. Then some incense arises and that seems to soften the burnt smell. In the heart it's very dense and resinous and musky. In the drydown it becomes softer and sweeter. It's nice here, I like the drydown.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Amouage Tribute red box

Very similar opening to black box but not quite as strong. It's a little salty as if there's some ambergris with the leather and burnt smell. It becomes rather herbal in the heart and very dry almost frankincense like. It's a bit sour, though. It becomes a bit ambery and a little resinous. I get a little vanilla/labdanum vibe in the drydown. But it's dirty. Overall, not as coherent or as likable as the black box.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy