Code of Conduct
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Mixerscent Attar and deep Vintage Sample Pass

Grayspoole, you're making me think we need a comprehensive thread on Coty in the vintage forum, as has been done for houses like Patou and Dior. I, for one, am almost totally ignorant about Coty.

I see threads on individual scents, but nothing covering the house as a whole except these two, which don't go very deep:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/237...assic-perfumes

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/426...y-Vintage-Coty

Great idea Cook.bot. I enjoyed reading the older threads. I'll gather some thoughts and post a topic soon.
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr1973 View Post
    Habit Rouge EDC - oooohhh! I have never tried the vintage of this - and it is so much different than the more recent releases! Rosy-lemon goodness on a well-kept leather saddle! How gorgeous! Dry-down reveals some vanilla, but not too sweet. Possibly some cedar wood. Really classy. Also unisex.
    I'm glad you liked this one, Zephyr. It's fairly light on me. I can smell it most of a day, but it's almost too light to project to other people after an hour or so.

Dependent

I have not forgotten this thread - just have had some difficulty smelling stuff the past few days due to wicked allergies. I promise to get back to this ASAP!
    Currently wearing: 17/17 Irisss by Xerjoff

Basenotes Plus

I have not forgotten this thread - just have had some difficulty smelling stuff the past few days due to wicked allergies. I promise to get back to this ASAP!
    My sympathies. We're having a hellacious pollen season here in South Carolina too, after that wet, wet spring. I hate to think how buggy the summer will be.

And this pass is a LOT to get through.

Freed from BN Institution

Hopefully it will pass, allergies are no fun.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Dependent

AMOUAGE

Tribute Black Box - This has some serious smoke - tarry, sticky, and yet, still really nice! VERY masculine - I could not pull it off, but I would not mind my husband wearing it! The leather is rich, luxurious and deep - it's like a Chesterfield that has been used by smokers - and normally, I would detest cigarette smoke, but something about this works.

Tribute Red Box 1 - Now THIS THIS is what I adore! Still a leather, but very few if any have smoked while sitting on this Chesterfield! And there is a gorgeous vase full of deep, red roses! This is sensual, and layered and OMG I am in love! There is something that lifts this scent and keep it from entering a heaviness only enjoyed in cold months - this is a year-round beauty!

Gold Man-Khanjar - OH MY GOODNESS! This is better than Gold Woman! I am going to venture to guess that the current formula of Gold Man is very different - I smell roses - LOTS and even jasmine and some - is that ORRIS?? This is like a crystal chandelier - heavy, gorgeous and I cannot look away - this is bright and opulent - and slightly animalic, though I cannot discern whether it is civet, Hyrax, or ?? Still trying not to look at the notes, but I want to know what this is! Looked - and now wonder if the opulence and the animalic are both from the ambergris? I see Civet is there as well, but this seems too charming to be civet LOL!

Dia Man-Khanjar - There is so little remaining in the Dia vial, I am going to simply try and review based on sniffing the vial: This is very light, and smells like there are flowers and maybe some citrus. I have to be honest, without placing it on my skin, I really cannot tell much - and I do not want to ruin the experience for the next person by using the rest. I think I detect something resinous, perhaps a light dose of Labdanum, but I could be wrong - I've been trying somethings out with the raw material and maybe it's just on my mind

Lyric Man 2008-2010 - Sort perplexed - I have Lyric Woman and expected this to be an AMPED up version of that - however, it reminds me (please do not think I'm being silly) of Chanel No 19 - Green fresh roses! This really does not have the Lyric Woman DNA, and yet it is not bad - in fact, I really like it - but it is not at all what I would have thought - it's too green and "wet" to be an oriental, like Woman clearly is - and there is not a great deal of depth - not a bad thing, and yet, I'm still perplexed...why is this considered the masculine version of Lyric Woman? It seems like an entire different species!

Epic Man 2008-2010 - This one JUMPS out of the gate and is seriously passionate about itself LOL! WHOA! I adore cumin, and this does NOT disappoint! Its rugged and manly - and honestly, I never thought I would type "rugged" in an Amouage review! LOL! Typically, I see these as elegant sorts of scents, but this one is all man - and strong! I get a bit of the smoke I got in Tribute Black Box - and I am really digging this. I hope someone will assure me that if I go in search of a bottle, I don't need to worry about later formulations - somehow, I am guessing anything I look for will have to be the earliest available. Sigh.

ELIE SAAB

Vetiver - oh, this is good! I have some Haitian Vetiver that smells very much like this - and I really REALLY love this soliflore! There is a slight warmth, but it still has such a refreshing scent, it would be perfect for hot days! Green and lovely - all vetiver lovers should get their noses on this one!

Neroli - OMG! This is beautiful! This is so much more floral than TF's NP - and so more photo-realistic! I need to get a bottle of this NOW! I feel seriously HAPPY smelling this! It is sunshine in a bottle

Dependent

Who do I send to next?

Who do I send to next?
    I really enjoyed reading your testing notes, Zephyr1973, and I see we share an enjoyment of Vol de Nuit, Emeraude, and Habit Rouge EDC and "perplexity" over Lyric Man.

I think Kotori is up next...

Dependent

I repackaged the entire thing, as the box was in seriously poor shape, and I used parafilm to wrap each remaining vial - I did not include the ones that were completely empty. I cleaned the pipettes in org. grain alcohol. I hope this is all "ok"

Package received— thanks for the repackaging effort, Zephyr!

First test is Godet Chypre— a beautiful violetty chypre that reminds me a bit of Chypre Siam by Rogue. Soft and comfortable.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Dune by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Package received— thanks for the repackaging effort, Zephyr!

First test is Godet Chypre— a beautiful violetty chypre that reminds me a bit of Chypre Siam by Rogue. Soft and comfortable.
    How was the longevity? On myself it was very short lived. It was nice for the first 15-20 minutes but then it became a skin scent shortly after.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I repackaged the entire thing, as the box was in seriously poor shape, and I used parafilm to wrap each remaining vial - I did not include the ones that were completely empty. I cleaned the pipettes in org. grain alcohol. I hope this is all "ok"
    The attar oils were the most problematic if I recalled. Once the rubber seal gets deformed, the sample is all but likely to leak.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    How was the longevity? On myself it was very short lived. It was nice for the first 15-20 minutes but then it became a skin scent shortly after.
    I got about an hour out of it. It was pretty subtle; you’re right.

Today I have Godet Cuir de Russie on one arm and a Qtip scraping from the inside of the empty Chanel Cuir de Russie vial on the other. The Godet reminds me of the soaps they had in Paris hotels about 20 years ago. Kind of a gummy scent with some strong resins. I imagine there may have been an aldehydic top that has faded.

The Chanel is recognizable to me as itself. It’s so much softer and more cozy than the birchy current EDP. I can see why vintage hunters seek this out. It makes me want to try vintage Bois des Iles.

I don't find the current edp particularly birchy, but it is true that the vial is softer and more animalic. Interestingly, the reconstruction of the parfum I smelled at the osmotheque has a definite kick of birch tar.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I don't find the current edp particularly birchy, but it is true that the vial is softer and more animalic. Interestingly, the reconstruction of the parfum I smelled at the osmotheque has a definite kick of birch tar.

cacio
    That makes me wonder if the birch notes and the animalic notes decay at different rates.

Good point about the decay. I would have assumed that birch tar stayed for a long time. But perhaps not. Or perhaps it's a matter of concentration, with the parfum having more birch tar.

This is unknown to me. I thought citrus top notes were always the first to go in a fragrance. Is my assumption wrong then?
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)

I think you are right, citrus and aldehydes are the first to go. But here we are talking about 50 year old perfumes, so plenty of time for other notes to disappear.

cacio

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    I got about an hour out of it. It was pretty subtle; you’re right.

Today I have Godet Cuir de Russie on one arm and a Qtip scraping from the inside of the empty Chanel Cuir de Russie vial on the other. The Godet reminds me of the soaps they had in Paris hotels about 20 years ago. Kind of a gummy scent with some strong resins. I imagine there may have been an aldehydic top that has faded.

The Chanel is recognizable to me as itself. It’s so much softer and more cozy than the birchy current EDP. I can see why vintage hunters seek this out. It makes me want to try vintage Bois des Iles.
    Oh honey, vintage BdI is to DIE for! I only wish I had some left from a tiny bottle I purchased several years ago - talk about falling down a rabbit hole!

Oh honey, vintage BdI is to DIE for! I only wish I had some left from a tiny bottle I purchased several years ago - talk about falling down a rabbit hole!
    Oh my... I can see this is eventually going to cost me some money...

Btw, Basenoters, I just got back in from my travels (including the meetup) last night, so I should be able to delve back into the pass this evening.

I sampled an 80s EDC concentration of BDI and that stuff was wonderful. Have you tried vintage Egoiste?

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I sampled an 80s EDC concentration of BDI and that stuff was wonderful. Have you tried vintage Egoiste?
    The oldest Egoiste I’ve sampled was 2008, so sadly not.

I have some more reviews for you guys:

Vol de Nuit Vintage

This is a far cry from the current EDT of which I have a sample. That one is a faint floral powdery with a clear narcissus note. This is almost a totally different perfume: it’s as if someone spilled some current Vol de Nuit into a vat of Jicky. I get narcissus, Guerlainade, and lavender. It’s not as animalic as Jicky, but not as tame as Pour Une Homme. This is really gorgeous; I had no idea! I thought the current Vol de Nuit was more similar to the original than it is.

Elie Saab Vetiver

A nice, dense vetiver that reminds me of Sycomore. It’s dense without being too smoky, and it doesn’t smell skunky, either. It’s natural and grassy with an undercurrent of powder. I think this take on vetiver is more feminine than most.

Parfum Sartorial Homme Iris

This is all effervescent and sparkly like an iris-flavored soda. And it has good waft, too. I seem to have a mild skin allergy to it, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Kotori; 2nd June 2019 at 11:58 PM.

Elie Saab Neroli

A peppery neroli with an ink-forward indolic note. There is also some spice in there. Maybe saffron. Maybe clove. A technicolor interpretation that does not lean too soapy or go powdery. It’s a bit sharp and difficult to wear for the first few minutes until it settles. It stays dark and syrupy even as it clings closer to the skin.

No. 19 Vintage Parfum

So floral I almost don’t recognize it— round and smooth. I think there is orange blossom somewhere in there, or jasmine, holding it all together. I’ve never smelled it in the modern versions. The iris is toned down and the rose and greens are tuned up. Gorgeous.

Nombre Noire

Rose, powder, leather: Ombré Rose meets Bandit. The leather is acrid and a bit rotting. The rose is sugared. The powder is the kind ladies used to keep in pretty boxes on their dressers.

Dia Man Khanjar

Grass, ozone, patchouli— earth after rain.

Gold Man

The family resemblance is striking: this is a lot like Gold Woman, which I can see now must be a shadow of its former self. The aldehydes are perky without being sneeze-inducing. The jasmine is sweet and strong. The frankincense and myrrh make it smell exotic and rich. There seems to be real sandalwood in the base. I enjoy this more than Gold Woman, and I would definitely wear it over the feminine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I'm glad you liked this one, Zephyr. It's fairly light on me. I can smell it most of a day, but it's almost too light to project to other people after an hour or so.
    It is really light on me.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Hi folks-

My little bottle of Godet Petite Fleur Bleue arrived, all the way from France:
    Attachment 99479
    After a quick test, I believe this may be the EDT formulation, but it is fresh and potent (with an internal plastic plug) and I find it true to the parfum included in the pass. No idea of the date, but it could be from the 1950's, during the brief postwar revival of the house. Quite happy to have this. It's reminding of Coty Paris (1923) and I plan to compare them when I have a chance.
    A couple of small bottles of this came today. Rose, Sandalwood Soapy CiveT EDT. Nice 50's Feminine Soapiness that still scents beautiful on my Masculine skin.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    A couple of small bottles of this came today. Rose, Sandalwood Soapy CiveT EDT. Nice 50's Feminine Soapiness that still scents beautiful on my Masculine skin.
    Small bottles of Petite Fleur Bleue? Nifty! Where did you find them? The Etsy vendor who had them seems to have disappeared...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Small bottles of Petite Fleur Bleue? Nifty! Where did you find them? The Etsy vendor who had them seems to have disappeared...
    Yes, the Etsy Vendor out of France sold the two bottles and dispatched them quick to Canada. Soapy Sandalwood with a light Civet.
    A nice orange blossom incense that provides a softer feminine reminiscent to my 92 Guerlain Habit Rouge.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.