Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Default Re: Mixerscent Attar and deep Vintage Sample Pass

Lyric Man 2008-2010 formula

Another that I have an official carded sample from 2013/14 to compare to. Again, I find differences. My newer Lyric I would describe as a rose-forward masculine with spice, woods, and very minor resinous facets. In the modern stuff, I find a very prominent angelica note in the opening that carries into the heart. I quite like angelica (most of the time) and it is well integrated here.

This angelica is absent from the sample pass version, I honestly can't smell it at all. It is also less woody (although neither are very woody). The 2008/10 version also seems to have a bit of a soapy feel which wasn't in my spray sample, and overall is more smooth/less-textured, and seems more rose-forward without the counterbalance of the angelica. All in all, it comes across as less complex. It still smells good, but I prefer the complexity of the 2013/14 stuff I have.

All in all, they both smell nice but neither are my favorite from Amouage and despite being a lover of rose, neither would make a top 10 rose list. I cannot pin down what type of synth-wood is trying to be represented, but it smells like they were going for a mix of cedar and sandalwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    That's hard to reconcile.
    Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    He is in denial
    I guess it's not that I don't like French dandy scents, I kind of consider Chanel Pour Monsieur to be one and love that, but Habit Rouge just doesn't align with my tastes at all...despite having notes of and being similar to other things I do like.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Lyric Man is not one of my favorite Amouages or one of my favorite rose fragrances.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus Sport by Chanel

Notes copy and pasted from the Chanuary thread.

Cuir de Russie - Chanel (vintage 1950's parfum)

Wearing Cuir de Russie today, vintage parfum circa 1950's. One of the generous items from the mixerscent sample pass, the first time I'm trying it in parfum form vintage or otherwise. Wearing it alongside another generous gift, a decant of Cuir de Russie (2014 EdT) from the Les Exclusifs line from the Canadian camel.

There are certainly some differences, as one would expect. The vintage parfum is much more leathery, richer, less floral, and seems to lack the mellow aldehydic opening that the newer EdT does. Both are stunning in their own way. The parfum seems a little more unisex although I'd happily wear either. While I don't outright smell any animalics in the vintage parfum, I can imagine there some being there, contributing to the depth that it has.

Either way - Cuir de Russie...now this is perfumery.

No.19 - Chanel

I liked this a lot in EdT form, but the parfum is on another level. It's really an amazing green scent. I think any male who avoids this because it's a Chanel named No.X is doing themselves a disservice - anyone could wear this, and it's one of the most approachable and streamlined green scents I've tried. I've had a hectic and entirely unrelaxing weekend so far, but it's hard to be salty when wearing this. I can't stop smelling my arm.

Lyric Man is not one of my favorite Amouages or one of my favorite rose fragrances.
    I'd say we're on the same page there.

Chanel does good work. Even among the beauties in this pass, I thought Cuir de Russie and No. 19 were standouts.

Tribute Attar

Both versions in the pass, plus whatever version I was kindly sent by another Basenoter last year (who is in the pass, he can comment on which version if he wishes) all smell relatively the same after an hour. There are differences before that, mentioned at the end of the post.

My first exposure to the much lauded Amouage Attars (which are mostly mukhallats and not attars, from what I understand) was with a blind buy of Badr Al Badour which sounded most up my alley - rose, oud, ambergris. It is, and was a fantastic buy. I thought, "If this is this good, I can only imagine how good Tribute must be." So hopes were high. When I first tried it, I didn't like it. I still don't love it. I suppose it's well made, but really not my style despite being full of notes I love.

The rose I enjoy, the incense/tobacco/whatever it is, I don't. It smells like a lit menthol cigarette, which I find repulsive. I enjoyed Camel Filters very much when I smoked for a few years in my early 20's, but menthols are vile. Maybe it's the combo of patchouli and some type of incense, but this opens with a strongly mentholated smokey vibe that I really, really dislike.

It later calms down to reveal some parched, cracked brown leather jacket type leather, which I like. There is a touch of woodiness, which I can see as being cedar, that pairs well with the rose, frank, leather, and now calmer smoke. From application to the 60 minute mark, this is a strong thumbs down. From 90 minutes on, it's a neutral to a mild thumbs up. I like nearly every listed note, but I only smell a handful and those that I do smell aren't exactly coming off a top-notch. As far as my tastes go, I'd never hype this.

-- First version/Red Box --

Much stronger menthol smoke, smells slapped together/disjointed and really rough for a while. My least favorite.

-- Black Box Version --

Less strong menthol smoke, maybe slightly less leathery in the dry down. Seems more finely tuned, as far as note proportioning. My second favorite version, and second least favorite version (aka the middle).

-- Version I had prior to pass --

Smells the most well-balanced and perhaps slightly less smoky than the other two. There is a more noticeable non-menthol unlit tobacco note in the drydown. I also find something mildly sweet in the opening and heart, which helps to round and balance things even further. My favorite of the three I've tried.

Best menthol cigarette perfume ever, for my money - if there were any to buy.

Basenotes Plus

Best menthol cigarette perfume ever, for my money
    Are there others?

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    It smells like a lit menthol cigarette, which I find repulsive. I enjoyed Camel Filters very much when I smoked for a few years in my early 20's, but menthols are vile.
    Interesting. If people are smoking and you're nearby, can you distinguish between the smell of a mentholated cigarette and a non-mentholated one?

I've never noticed that I can.

Basenotes Plus

Talking Re: Mixerscent Attar and deep Vintage Sample Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Are there others?

Interesting. If people are smoking and you're nearby, can you distinguish between the smell of a mentholated cigarette and a non-mentholated one?

I've never noticed that I can.
    When I was a smoker,when in the States, I always enjoyed Camels, however Salem's were de rigueur and totally my fave.

For a while I smoked Kent and used to be able to nose the difference in tobaccos. A European friend told me that Kents were used as a medium of exchange in Romania.
    Last edited by purecaramel; 18th January 2018 at 03:01 AM.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.