Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Talking Mixerscent Attar and deep Vintage Sample Pass

Mixerscent has kindly offered a Sampling of some scents that are deep Vintage and Attars that some of us may not have nosed or not likely to.have the chance to nose ever.
    I have yet to hear back from a couple of the 12 participants.
    Since there are a couple more Canadian participants I think we are best to cross the border once.
    I will put up a mailing order list week.
    So far I have reviewed Amouage Tribute in two parts Red and Black. Yummy!
    Emeraude Parfum from the 50's
    I'll put the list up in the next couple of days.
    I will say today treats galore including a 50's CDR, that is Growling.
    There are a couple of Godet's from the 20's.
    Many thanks to the mixerscent who is a Prince surely.

Sample Pass route of Passage.

Sciencegirl
    HackerX
    Yoshimi
    Epapsiou
    Bavard
    IsoESuperman
    Cook.bot
    cacio
    Cheetah1919
    Sniffers
    HORNS
    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer
    Starblind

Please contact the person after you directly for addressing.

List of Samples

AMOUAGE Homage Red Box Batch 2
    Tribute Black Box
    Tribute Red Box 1
    Rose TRO
    Gold Man-Khanjar
    Dia Man-Khanjar
    Lyric Man 2008-2010
    Epic Man 2008-2010

CHANEL

No 19 Parfum Vintage
    Cuir de Russie 1950's

GODET 1920's

Chypre
    Cuir De Russie
    Petit Fleure Bleue

GUERLAIN

Habit Rouge EDC
    Vol De Nuit Vintage

ELIE SAAB

Vetiver
    Neroli

OTHERS

Coty Emeraude Parfum 1950's
    LF Iris Gris
    Parfum Satori Iris Homme
    Shiseido Nombre Noir
    Ormonde Jayne Black Gold
    Interji Adghal ( Adghal Majid Muzaffar Interji )
    Last edited by purecaramel; 15th September 2017 at 10:37 AM.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Mixerscent Attar and deep Vintage Sample Pass

I'll be burning through these over the next week, offering Reviews and perhaps a little discussion here.

Always be smelling

Awaiting eagerly
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Palais Jamais by Etro

Basenotes Plus

Chanel Cuir de Russie Parfum 1950's Soft, Round, Animalic. The Birch is painted into the Floral. The feel is sumptuous, dimensional and carries a natural sweetness. Genderless leaning Feminine.

Chanel Cuir de Russie Parfum 2015 Rigid, Sharp, Soapy. The Birch swirls around the Florals. The feel is clean, soapy, Boot wax and Petroleum. Genderless leaning Masculine.

I love them both leaning to the 2015.

My sniff to the 2016 Parfum indicated a lean toward a woodier base.

In an Ideal world I would own a bottle of Parfum each year from 2015 back.
    Last edited by purecaramel; 2nd October 2017 at 11:30 PM.

Very interesting. My Cuir de Russie is from around 2015, I need to check. I smelled the original at the osmotheque, and I agree with your description that it felt sumptuous. At the same time, the bite of the birch tar was clear. My version has far less birch tar, but it doesn't feel sharp or rigid. I find it more floral, the iris is more clear (perhaps that's what registers as clean and soapy?)

cacio

Basenotes Plus

If I was to describe the differences in Vintage and Contemporary Chanel CDR in relation to Cordovan Shoes.

I have a pair of Cordovans from the Seventies, well worn, some forming to my feet, creasing and a Patina. When I sniff them, they hold an animalic,(sweat) that draws thought to the lower notes produced by a bow slowly drawn across the surface of the Cello.

I have a pair of Cordovans from the 2000's, lightly worn, little wearing to my feet, no creasing and a clean, crisp flawless surface. When I sniff them, they hold a Citric, Soapiness, that draws thought to the higher notes produced by a bow drawn quickly across the surface of the Cello.
    Last edited by purecaramel; 7th September 2017 at 04:53 AM.

Looking forward to all your thoughts, as I eagerly await!

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    Chanel Cuir de Russie Parfum 1950's Soft, Round, Animalic. The Birch is painted into the Floral. The feel is sumptuous, dimensional and carries a natural sweetness. Genderless leaning Feminine.

Chanel Cuir de Russie Parfum 2015 Rigid, Sharp, Soapy. The Birch swirls around the Florals. The feel is clean, soapy, Boot wax and Petroleum. Genderless leaning Masculine.
    Oh my, I am SO wishing I could be part of this sample pass right now! 1950s Cuir de Russie sounds like absolute heaven. I will be following this thread with much interest!

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Interesting analogy with the shoes. I like the civet in older Cuir de Russie - it suits my tastes perfectly.

Vivid comparison with Cordovan shoes. Which brand by the way? I don't own any pair, but my cousin in Italy loves the Alden ones. If there are other options of comparable quality, that would be good to know.

caico

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Interesting analogy with the shoes. I like the civet in older Cuir de Russie - it suits my tastes perfectly.
    I too like the Civet in the Vintage as it provides volume, texture and sumptuousness to the picture. I've put my boots on after leaving Gabrielle's bed.

I lean to the crisp 2015 as it provides a picture of waxy crayons and Boot Leather petroleum. I've walked into Gabrielle's Boudoir and she's beckoning me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Vivid comparison with Cordovan shoes. Which brand by the way? I don't own any pair, but my cousin in Italy loves the Alden ones. If there are other options of comparable quality, that would be good to know.

caico
    The most beautiful Oxblood Patina comes from a pair of Vegetable tanned Vintage Allen Edmonds "Leeds" plain toe and "MCallister.

A pair of Beautiful "Cigar' Plain Toe Alden's. One animal, one pair.

Those are my faves of "American Made".
    Last edited by purecaramel; 7th September 2017 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep in mind for my cousin.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Vintage Habit Rouge EDC is a soft, quiet, balanced and urbane presentation of this classic. This allows easy identification of the moss and with it's balance it could be classed as "A Gentleman's Cologne." Bergamot opens, however it folds into the mix of spice, moss, vanilla and leaves a fine dusting of powder.

1990 Vintage EDT by comparison is rougher, louder and a "Dandy's" scent. Bergamot Marmalade shouts at opening until it is sliced by a strong incense, not unlike "Furyo".
    A cloud of powder obscures the spices, moss. The powder is in the same vein as Tiffany for Men in "Dandiness"

Both offer a fine example of Classic Masculine scent.
    Which to choose for me?

I take my Guerlain doses with my favourites, Heritage, Vol de Nuit.
    Last edited by purecaramel; 2nd October 2017 at 11:32 PM.

Vintage Habit Rouge EDC is a soft, quiet, balanced and urbane presentation of this classic.
    I have a small bottle of this, and could go for another, larger one. It's a reliable fragrance with great moments through the development and a vintage-quality, outstanding base.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by yellowtone View Post
    Oh my, I am SO wishing I could be part of this sample pass right now! 1950s Cuir de Russie sounds like absolute heaven. I will be following this thread with much interest!
    Cuir de Russie Vintage 50's, in all honesty, is so luxuriously sumptuous with it's Civet, that I was overwhelmed by it's dimension and patina. It's the animalic that creates thoughts of Post-Coitus lounge, on furs, smoking a cigarette.

The 2015 is brighter, soapier, aldehydic and Contemporary Luxury prelude to anticipated Coitus.

I'd love to taste a vertical of this Masterpiece. All scent of Luxury.
    Last edited by purecaramel; 2nd October 2017 at 11:33 PM.

Great description of the 1950 CdR. How was the birch tar in that one? stronger than in the current thing?
    cacio

Basenotes Plus

What do you mean by "a vertical"? Do you mean older even than the 1950s version?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Great description of the 1950 CdR. How was the birch tar in that one? stronger than in the current thing?
    cacio
    It's really hard to say which one has the stronger Birch tar. For me, it would be somewhat equal as both offer the Polished Leather, slight bitterness and bite that I associate with the Birch.
    They both offer a vision of the same picture from different angles and lighting.

If the 50's, is the mark left (in both mind and body) by the single stroke of a birch wand a day hence, the 90's would be a couple minutes hence.
    Last edited by purecaramel; 2nd October 2017 at 11:34 PM.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    What do you mean by "a vertical"? Do you mean older even than the 1950s version?
    i assume it's the same as a vertical wine tasting where one samples multiple different vintages of he same scent or wine, and could include older and younger vintages.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Cuir de Russie Vintage 50's, in all honesty, is so luxuriously sumptuous with it's Civet, that I was overwhelmed by it's dimension and patina. It's the animalic that creates thoughts of Post-Coitus lounge, on furs, smoking a cigarette.

The 2015 is brighter, soapier, aldehydic and Contemporary Luxury prelude to anticipated Coitus.

'anticipated coitus', now that made me smile.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Hmm, Yes, like, say take samples of perhaps each decade up to today. There are differences between the 50's and today. One glaring is certainly the levels of Civet. I wonder if that changed back and forth with each decade depending on tastes of the time, availability of ingredients, Lead perfumer's notions etc. JTD has offered, in his review of CDR, his thoughts on the history of this gem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    i assume it's the same as a vertical wine tasting where one samples multiple different vintages of he same scent or wine, and could include older and younger vintages.
    Yes, this is indeed, the same.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a weekend of Godet's.

It look's as if relations are looking to rebirth some of the popular scents.
    http://sharonsantoni.com/2017/08/par...e-generations/

- - - Updated - - -

forget me not.jpg

GODET Petite Fleur Bleue

Would like to think this would smell like the flower. When I was a child it was my most favourite flowers as I saw them as little blue eyes smiling at me.

What we have here though is
    pinkroses.jpgjasmine-grandiflorum-850x667.jpgSandalwood oil.jpgcivet ass.jpg

This opens with naturally sweet Citrus and a touch of Heliotrope. Rose and Jasmine whispers float on a base of Sandalwood and Civet. Fine example of a White Floral supported and dimension-ed with the Civet and rounded, creamed by the Sandalwood.

- - - Updated - - -

Godet Cuir de Russie

This scents a lighter leather with less dramatic animalic than the Vintage Chanel. It follows the contours of the Chanel, however far less sugar. It spits out a softened, quite beautiful, Iris Lipstickiness. When I dug down deep, the animalic of the Leather is closer to the scent of a saddle that was used lightly and sits on a post dried from the sun, the air and the dust.Florals are light, pretty and quietly folded into the dry Leather with a little petroleum tilt like Fahrenheit. Genderless.

godet cuir.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Ormonde JayneBlack Gold

Purrrrrrr.

This is some fragrance. In my review I focused on the unusual and beautifully shaped opening. I could drift on that forever, it's just, well sort of like eating a Mandarin Orange Aromatic Creamsicle.
    The rest is just as important, however I will leave it to others.
    All the other reviewers generally have better writing skills than I, ClaireV in particular.

Purrrr.

- - - Updated - - -

Ellie Saab Vetiver

Classy Polished Scent. Understated. Think of first Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum without the Vanilla, Sugar and Root Beer overload which obscures the Natural flavour of Vetiver.
    What I find most interesting is the Dry Canvas of Papyrus which gently draws my mind to layers of woody flavours within the root Vetiver.
    Francis Kurkdijan has this extraordinary ability to combine ingredients in such a way as to coax layers of flavours of the subject, discard the nasty bits, polish the surface and present a slightly idealized piece of Art. Fragrantica says the design is geared toward Celebrity on the Red Carpet. Yes, perhaps Opera, Theatre stars. No Hollywood here.
    A superior, balanced, clean and whispered soapiness than most of the Vetivers that have come before. On to the Neroli, brief test suggests FK genius at work.

- - - Updated - - -

Godet's Chypre

My nose is gone?

I get Nada from this.

Perhaps a very faint powder.

Two tastings so I will move on to the big Roses.

Emeraude Essence

This is the scent of my mother. She tells me it was her going out on the town scent. I swear she was scented with it while I was nursing. She wore into the sixties. I associate it with a picture of her in a Green Silk Dress that she had crafted herself. She was 22, slim and very beautiful.
    So, sniffing this wonderful Vintage Emeraude has me feeling the soft Love that there is between a young boy and his mother.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by purecaramel; 2nd October 2017 at 11:36 PM.

I've attached images of the fragrances in the sample pass, so you can picture and have a better understanding of the fragrances you're sniffing. All of the fragrances are in very good to superb condition. Without further ado.

Amouage Tribute red box 1st batch, Homage red box 2nd batch, Rose TRO red box (Turkish Rose Otto)

Amouage Gold Man (Khanjar bottle, pre 2008), Dia Man (Khanjar, pre 2008), Lyric Man (2008-2010), Epic Man (2009-2010)

I'll just make two points, Gold Man is more of a floral and nuanced composition than later versions which also included a heavier incense note, and Epic Man in this first edition is much softer than later editions.

Chanel Cuir de Russie extrait (1950s) and No.19 extrait (vintage)

Godet Cuir de Russie, Chypre and Petite Fleur Bleue (1920s)

Guerlain Habit Rouge EDC (1987) and Vol de Nuit extrait (vintage 1984 or 1994). The Vol de Nuit is particularly good and I'm not responsible for wobbly knees. Yes that good.

Elie Saab Essence No.6 Vetiver and No.7 Neroli

Legendary Fragrances Iris Gris, Coty Emeraude extrait (1950s)

Parfum Satori Iris Homme and Shiseido Nombre Noir

Two incredible fragrances and Satori san is a wonderful person and such a wealth of knowledge.

Iterji Adghal

Adghal was imported from Saudi Arabia and in my view gets the balance between rose and oud just right.

Last edited by mixerscent; 14th September 2017 at 06:38 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mixerscent View Post
    I've attached images of the fragrances in the sample pass, so you can picture and have a better understanding of the fragrances you're sniffing. All of the fragrances are in very good to superb condition. Without further ado.

Amouage Tribute red box 1st batch, Homage red box 2nd batch, Rose TRO red box (Turkish Rose Otto)

Amouage Gold Man (Khanjar bottle, pre 2008), Dia Man (Khanjar, pre 2008), Lyric Man (2008-2010), Epic Man (2009-2010)

I'll just make two points, Gold Man is more of a floral and nuanced composition than later versions which also included a heavier incense note, and Epic Man in this first edition is much softer than later editions.

Chanel Cuir de Russie extrait (1950s) and No.19 extrait (vintage)

Godet Cuir de Russie, Chypre and Petite Fleur Bleue (1920s)

Guerlain Habit Rouge EDC (1987) and Vol de Nuit extrait (vintage 1984 or 1994). The Vol de Nuit is particularly good and I'm not responsible for wobbly knees. Yes that good.

Elie Saab Essence No.6 Vetiver and No.7 Neroli

Legendary Fragrances Iris Gris, Coty Emeraude extrait (1950s)

Parfum Satori Iris Homme and Shiseido Nombre Noir

Two incredible fragrances and Satori san is a wonderful person and such a wealth of knowledge.

Iterji Adghal

Adghal was imported from Saudi Arabia and in my view gets the balance between rose and oud just right.

Oh wow. Look at all the eye candy. It is SO dangerous following great threads. Enablers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

I've attached images of the fragrances in the sample pass
    Lovely.

Basenotes Plus

I've attached images of the fragrances in the sample pass
    Holy mackerel. Gobsmacked.

Always be smelling

I am green
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Palais Jamais by Etro

Basenotes Plus

So excited to smell these beauties! Not quite sure how I'm going to occupy myself until then!

Basenotes Plus

Interji Adghal ( Adghal Majid Muzaffar Interji )

Hmm! The approach here is about understatement and balance. This uses a blended Oud so it is layered richly with varnishes,camphour, hay and only whispers of barnyard and cheese. There is a medicinal rubber start that may be a light Synthetic boost. The Rose concentrates on the Lower registers of the note and almost acts as a billowing Canvas for the Oud.
    I applied this to the inside of my biceps. As I followed to "kiss my biceps" (don't all men do that?) the mixture of the perfume and the cumin of my pit had me wanting to lick myself.
    Silliness aside, this most suits a Masculine sensibility as the Rose is understated and the Oud is Polished, with only a hint to the a skank. Handsome and not overtly "Perfumey"
    This is similar to Amber Oudh by Rasasi, where it distances is by sublimating White Musk and presenting a Masculine scent.

- - - Updated - - -

Amouage Rose Attar TRO and Amouage Homage

The Rose TRO opens with Citronella and dries down to an Opus VI Amber.
    The Homage opens with Sweet Rose and dries down to a very pleasant White Musk.

The Rose TRO, for me, presents the colour and texture that relates to my Masculine orgasmic. The combination of the Citrus counters the perfect layered sweetness of the Rose. The highest exquisite n.otes are reached in the music, there is release and then an absence of pain. My eyes roll back.

That is not to say that Homage is not a beautiful perfume. It is. However for this boy, the Rose TRO, is what it's all about.

AMOUAGE GOLD MAN

Guy Robert's stamp is upon this. The structure is so very close to his work with Hermes. Equipage and Caleche in Vintage share the same shape. Caleche turns to the Floral powder and the Equipage to the Floral leather. Both are formal and conservative to my nose. Gold Man seems down the middle with the Golden threads of incense which add an exotic flavour. Ihave both the Hermes, however wear them infrequent. I think I would reach for this often as the incense and Civet are a draw.

LYRIC MAN

I found this opens very pretty and Feminine, then loses ground, then there was a breeze of incense,then it settled down to a vague mushy floral. It remains lightly musked tenacious. I really think this needs to be marketed to women. It doesn't feel right on me as a man. Then again I wouldn't really appreciate this on my girl.I have a good friend that I'll mention it to. I think he might appreciate it.

EPIC MAN

I like this for a lot of the reasons deadidol doesn't. I like the broadshouldered 80' gangster oomph. It's got the tobacco right, it's got the Leather right, it's even got the Sandalwood right. So what that it trumpets a little greasiness. I'm going to try to fanangle a drop of this on Halloween.
    Last edited by purecaramel; 4th October 2017 at 09:25 PM.

Basenotes Plus

"...the mixture of the perfume and the cumin of my pit had me wanting to lick myself."

I may as well stay home today. I don't see how my day can get any better than starting with reading the above. Thanks for starting me will a laugh!

And now I need to go back and read the review again, because I can't remember any other single part of it. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Basenotes Plus

Chanel No 19Vintage

Fabulous scent. When I was a young man, I was most attracted to the Bitter greens, Givenchy 3, Lauder Azuree, Lauder Private Collection.

Chanel, I associated with No.5, Bois des Illes.

So by the Early 80's I was pleasantly surprised when a woman told me she was wearing Chanel 19.

She was wearing what I am sniffing right here. The Vintage Parfum is like being devoured by the "Green Goddess"

green goddess.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Amouage Dia Man Vintage

I found that I had to lean in to this perfume. At once it seems a Whisper and Harmony, easy to dismiss. Leaning in, I found a space that was pristine, static. Movement in this perfume is precise Tick Tock around this pristine static.

I have met this specifically in a few other perfumes Chanel Bois Noir, Hendley Jade, Lumiere by Aftel.

Then again I speak nonsense and Dia is an incredible Amouage, that is unique, in that it is quiet, amongst all the pomp and circumstance. There is a Grandness in it's truthfulness.

It smells wonderful on the skin.

fractal.jpg

Amouage Epic Man personal fave as it hits a nostalgic nerve.

Mixerscent says this is softer than following reforms.

This opens with a blast of 80's umph, Moschino Pour Homme-like. (I know that's 90's but it is 80's cozy)

Epic does soften, however to me it's a beautifully finished Leather.

And, I'm a sucker for Castoreum beautifully placed.

beaver.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

LF Iris Gris

This starts with a blast of Candied Pineapple. It then opens out to a quite beautifully true Peach in that the acid/ sugar balance is just right for a sun-ripened. The Iris didn't show up in the flesh, however perhaps it shows as a ghostly background flavour.

Parfum Satori Iris Homme

Now this is a "Lean In" fragrance. A startling Whiff of Carrot puree, a singular Lemon and Whisper of Cardamon. Pure White Jasmine sans Indol provides a slight cream and natural sugar. Woody Amber gives me one sneeze with it's dryness. It is then that I recognize, there is a surround of sweet Raspberry Ionones. Yes, this is Masculine in tone.

carrot puree.jpgcitron.jpgsingle jasmine.jpgsandalwood fan.jpg
    violet raspeberries.jpg

Vol de Nuit

This along with Heritage seem to fill all of the spots of luxury that I expect from Guerlain. They are just.....perfect.
    With the Vol de Nuit I'd really love to do a vertical sniffing.

Yes, some similarities to the Habit Rouge and for me Shalimar Guerlain paintings. Where it beats those is with a Citric Marmalade start, the Green of the Galbanum and Poison moldiness of Oakmoss. A Sandalwood cushion surrounds and mellows. For me the Spiciness is rather hidden, however the Floral bouquet dances in the centre. A waxy stripe of Iris is struck across the canvas. It leisurely, winds down to a surprising Baby powder finish.
    For me, I'll take this before Shalimar and perhaps even the Habit Rouge.

Vol-De-Nuit-Perfume-by-Guerlain_3.jpg
    Last edited by purecaramel; 11th November 2017 at 09:44 PM.