Code of Conduct
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: The Murky Matter of Musk

Excellent journalism! Made my morning. Keep 'em coming Claire!
    Wanna Shop? --> Buzier's Sales

MY TOP 25%: Al Oudh, Azzaro pH, Basala, Bel Ami, Black Afgano, Blackbird, Blend 30, Bull's Blood, Chaps Original, Cuba, DK Men - Fuel, Davidoff '84, Derby, Edition, Elsha 1776, Equipage, Eau d' Hermes, Egoiste Cologne Concentree, Fetish pH, Fougere Royal reissue, Genghis Khan, Green Water, Havana, Jules, Kiehl's Musk, Knize Ten, Kouros, L'Homme Sage, Leather Oud, Loewe pH, Monogram, Montecristo, Musc Ravageur, Olibanum, Perry Ellis for Men Original, Piper Nigrum, Polo, Puredistance M, Santal Noble, Santalum, Sandalo (Villoresi), Tea for Two, Tribute Attar, Ungaro II, Versace l'homme, Yatagan, YSL pH
    Currently wearing: Interlude Man by Amouage

looks like someone is a little defensive about declaring that Russian-sourced musk is presumptively legit.

implausible, but a particularly tough sell for a crowd who generally wouldn't even buy a designer fragrances from Russian-based ebay sellers.

I hope readers slogged through to the reviews -- the best part.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by dogma View Post
    looks like someone is a little defensive about declaring that Russian-sourced musk is presumptively legit.

implausible, but a particularly tough sell for a crowd who generally wouldn't even buy a designer fragrances from Russian-based ebay sellers.

I hope readers slogged through to the reviews -- the best part.
    I hope that readers choose to read through the superb reviews and the banter following. As a whole, it holds the exercises necessary to understand the views of others and further, to assist in the development of critical, listening, reading and thinking skills.
    Last edited by purecaramel; 8th September 2017 at 01:36 AM.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Vert de Fleur by Tom Ford

Excellent article Claire! Quick question, does Abdullah of beautiful scents have a website?

Basenotes Plus

Thanks MzM - yes, he does, it's his eBay page here: https://www.ebay.ie/sch/themostbeaut...1&_ipg=&_from=
    Having tested much of his work, I can really recommend his attars that focus on roses, vetiver, musk, and green/jungle ouds. Enjoy!
    “There is no exquisite beauty… without some strangeness in the proportion.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireV View Post
    Thanks MzM - yes, he does, it's his eBay page here: https://www.ebay.ie/sch/themostbeaut...1&_ipg=&_from=
    Having tested much of his work, I can really recommend his attars that focus on roses, vetiver, musk, and green/jungle ouds. Enjoy!
    appreciate the link :)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Still looking for Big Bottle of Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Claire, thank you so much for contributing such a fantastic write up to basenotes. You are such an asset to the fragrance community!

Thanks for the great article, Claire!

Basenotes Plus

Thank you Kiliwia, Ryan, and DuNezDeBuzier!
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Thank you for this extremely detailed and informative article. I also appreciate you pointing out the hypocritical stance of those who decry the use of real musk because of animal cruelty while at the same time consuming farmed animal products and fish.

Thank you very much for this morning's read!

Holy shit Claire! What a fantastic piece of writing. I particularly enjoyed your description of the Bruno Acampora musc. This is one of my all time favourite scents and one which I've always struggled to put into words as I find it maddeningly dirty and clean at the same time. Thank you so much and keep up the good work, Duncan

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by dunkybase View Post
    Holy shit Claire! What a fantastic piece of writing. I particularly enjoyed your description of the Bruno Acampora musc. This is one of my all time favourite scents and one which I've always struggled to put into words as I find it maddeningly dirty and clean at the same time. Thank you so much and keep up the good work, Duncan
    I adore this scent, and was VERY sad to have my husband claim it smelled exactly like Comet(!)

Basenotes Plus

Thank you very much, Cazaubon, Duncan, and Therese! You know, when anyone says Holy Shit to me, I always think of Holy Shit, the perfume by Pekji perfumes - have any of you tried this one? It's very, very dirty, as well as smoky and dry, like a dirt-encrusted leather jacket thrown on a campfire, with a side of wet, sulfurous cow pat for good measure. Then it dries down into a rich, musky leather and resin scent. I love Mick Trick's review of it for Basenotes:

It's all musty catacombs, dust covered remains of resinous altar offerings, smoke impregnated cassocks and sweat infused leathers, pain followed by ecstatic howls and mewling. A light slightly damp movement of air from adjoining tunnels is slightly cooling but unrefreshing. This is what I wanted 1740 Marquis de Sade to be. It's creepy, liturgical, and a little scary, but in parallel possesses a kinky charm that beguiles.
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

OMG . This article is the most detailed and best researched I have ever read on Musk.
    Thanks for this, it will go to my bookmarks as a reference for anything related to Musk.

Basenotes Member

Brilliant musk article, very informative. I have been trying different musk scents, especially in the Arab world, for over 18 years and have noticed a sharp decline in natural musk. It's useful to know that it can be synthesised almost as good as the natural.

What an informative article. Going to revisit this from time to time. Answered a great deal of questions I had and I myself owned and Attar that I wasn't sure if it was musk or not. The description of the scent is so varied (from medicinal to spicy, fecal to woods) that I was confused as to its origins. I can now after reading this assure myself that my Attar is indeed Musk. Thank you again :)
    “I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”
    ― Frank Herbert, Dune

An interesting articles on musk, the articles rendered more on the experience of a few perfumers point of view of musk when referred to smell. I do applaud your effort. However , when referred to old scriptures, it does mentioned that musk smell sweet. i am a bit perplexed on the articles available on the net pertaining to the smell of it. Animalic is the main ingredient of the smell, dirty earthy and others protruding the smell of musk is such.

in the late 70's , i remember the smell of pure musk worn by people who attended the wedding reception or ceremony. The whole room smell of musk. It is so cloying and overpowering and induced a bit of headache to me. Now it is rather difficult to obtain a pure musk. My greatest fear on the misconception of musk is that it will be a legend. No one knows, just like the legend of a dragon where the shape differ greatly between european and the east.

I would propose that a more detail research is done on musk pertaining to the originality of the smell that is mentioned in the old scriptures. I believe a search on kamrup musk should be able to assist. As far as the smell of the musk i can still recollect is more incline towards flowery which magnolia flower or champaca is the nearest. ref http://www.jkhealthworld.com/english/musk.

My apologies if it offend anybody but, i love perfume and i always love that the true smell of musk mentioned in old scriptures as sweet never animalic, dirty or earthy is proclaimed is considered to be searched thoroughly and compared. please write another articles on kamrup musk where it explained by researchers , among them is Dr K.M Nadkarni and others

This is very interesting Fazli.
    I think it will have a lot to do with the way the musk is rendered.
    When you smell raw deer musk grains, the smell is always animalic and earthy. But when it is macerated in sandalwood it becomes much sweeter over time, notes emerge thar were not evident. Yet when tinctured it tends to bring out the raw notes of the grains again.
    So these different methods bring about different facets of the musk, much the same with other methods of extracting a scent.
    If you extract vetivers scent by C02, you'll lose a lot of its beautiful freshness, yet an essential oil distillation will bring a much more enchanting aroma.

I will love to read more on the old scriptures of musks smell too, i know in Islamic texts the smell is also referred to as a sweet one.
    Thanks

Abdullah

Thank you abdullah..what you are saying is true in one aspect. However the type of deer where musk is obtained is also a determining factor.as for how the oils is obtained i seen the maceration and other techniques, but i was told verbally, my apologies for the lack of reference, that in the olden days musk is applied straight away to the skin, it contain fatty acids thus it is oily, it require a lot of musk to milk it though. I also heard about distillation of the strong and pungent smell to obtain a clear colored musk oil, again no reference my apologies.

I have an argument with numbers of perfurmers that insists musk is animalic, i told them that it depend on species and how the oil is obtained.

Again my concern is i do not want knowledge is lost and i want it to conserve, beside conserving the wild deer, knowledge is very important too. If one knows the true smell of something one can appreciate and benefit from the creativity of perfumers in interpreting musk.

Yes abdullah the hadith mentioned musk to be sweet, so does ayurvedic and chinese old scriptures.

Thank you

ps: i am still trying to find people that had smell species of aqualaria rostrata, there is only one tree that was found in malaysia, the elderly often describe to me as being really sweet and even there is a legend that even animals like to linger around it. ( my apologies for deviating from the topic), The reason is there are articles describe oud as smelling like lavender and other weird things, i am concerned that similar fate happen to musk happen to oud too in years to come.

+ Reply to Thread