Code of Conduct
    Banned

Default Aged Myrrh (5 years) on scent strip

100% myrrh e.o. aged 5 years - smelled on a scent strip

Warm, but not at all vanilla sweet. More dry neutral.
    This myrrh - like most myrrh`s posses a anise facet - hence the "lightly sweet."

This myrrh isn`t harsh in any way, and has a powdery texture on the nose making it easy to inhale.
    A powdery texture, and anise/sued type warmth.

Although this myrrh does not posses any harsh scent profiles,
    it is still a very "serious," resin.

Beneath its agreeable surface registers a deep, medicinal, fungal, mineral core.

Beneath the anise, lay a dry fungal and very definitely medicinal scent profile.
    It`s the dry fungal/antiseptic/mineral type scent one immediately recognizes at traditional Chinese Medicine shops.
    The places where dried mushroom and various other traditional goods are sold.

But not overly medicinal!
    This myrrh is much "rounder," than other myrrhs I`ve used.
    It has fewer grapefruit top notes, and far far fewer overly harsh mushroom/medicinal notes.
    When it merges with the skin, it looses the anise and instead, replaces sweetness with a hardwood and stone scent.

If anything, what makes this myrrh unique is this "wet stone," scent.
    Not exactly "wet," but imagine taking a stone, placing it in water, then drying it off...and placing your nose to the stone.
    This "once wet," stone scent is at the core of what makes this myrrh invaluable to me.

How could I do this myrrh justice? What`s a good match for this scent profile,
    like labdanum, or carrot seed - it hardly belongs to any one category...it`s so understated,
    yet extremely complex.

Perhaps just trying to combining it with frankincense?
    Or rose? unsure... very unsure...
    Like Agarwood, this myrrh could very easily loose something when combined with other oils or absolutes?
    I wonder if there are oils or molecules I could use to emphasize certain aspects within this myrrh?
    Last edited by mattmeleg; 2nd September 2017 at 08:40 AM.

Default Re: Aged Myrrh (5 years) on scent strip

Thanks for sharing, I use myrrh too and love the scent in resin or oil! Any advice on the tincture? Mine always changes the smell to a quite fecal animalic and medicinal one , which really doesn’t resemble the original smell at all. It’s quite strange, I’ve tried it twice and the same result both times. It’s not contamination from the wood or anything, I double checked. I want a beautiful myrrh tincture! :/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aromas del cielo View Post
    thanks for sharing, i use myrrh too and love the scent in resin or oil! Any advice on the tincture? Mine always changes the smell to a quite fecal animalic and medicinal one , which really doesn’t resemble the original smell at all. It’s quite strange, i’ve tried it twice and the same result both times. It’s not contamination from the wood or anything, i double checked. I want a beautiful myrrh tincture! :/
    try diy forum

Does your aged myrrh still have the, as my wife says, burnt cables smell? Haha, kinda like rubber? I suppose that's what people refer to when calling it a medicinal smell. I love myrrh but ever since she said that I cant enjoy it as much!

I ended up just getting some EO that works great. Any comments on the difference between your myrrh tinctures and the EO?