Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lorenzo Villoresi Fragrances

I believe I've only seen one other thread on this house and I'd like to hear more opinions. What are your general thoughts, which LV fragrances have you tried, which are your favorites from the line?

If I'm looking for a summer/hot weather fragrance from this line (or something that at least wouldn't be completely out of place/too heavy/cloying in the heat) with tolerable to decent lasting power, which should I sample?

What's the best online place I can procure samples from, I typically like Lucky Scent and the Perfumed Court, I've also used Scent Split before but none seem to carry this range and the places that do only offer full bottles.

At the moment the ones I'm most interested in getting my hands on are Yerbamate, Aura Maris, Tropicana, Sandalo and perhaps Uomo.

Default Re: Lorenzo Villoresi Fragrances

For summer / hot weather Acqua di Colonia. Very good scent. Very true to it's name.
    Uomo is my favourite. It's 'heavier' than Colonia but works great in the summer as well.

Sandalo is lovely but I wouldn't wear it in the heat. Dry and cozy. Rather autumny to my mind.
    Aura Maris (or Mare Nostrum?) is not my cup of tea. Boring and uninvolving. It's quite pleasant and mostly summer oriented. Perhaps you'll like it.

Yerba is nice but can sometimes come off as little bit 'musty'(?), not necessarily in a bad way but for the summer I'd prefer something more crisp.
    “You must have a perfume. A perfume is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?” Oscar Wilde

+1 for Uomo. Very easy to wear in hot weather. Performance is moderate, so it won't be too heavy in the heat.

Although Sandalo is a heavier scent that's better suited for autumn / spring weather, I actually wore this on an unexpectedly hot day a few weeks ago and it didn't feel out of place. Somehow the refined "head-shop" / hippy-sandalwood vibe worked in the sunny weather. If anything, I feel the performance of this one is more restrained than I would like it to be. Longevity is decent, but it sits quite close to the skin.

Overall, Uomo would be a safe blind buy based on what you're looking for.
    "I learned to work the saxophone...I play just what I feel....Drink Scotch whiskey all night long....And die behind the wheel
    They got a name for the winners in the world...I want a name when I lose...They call Alabama the Crimson Tide...Call me Deacon Blues"

Yerbamate, I really liked. It's green, somewhat fresh with tea but delves into a couple of stages with hay (a bit strange) then a bit powdery (labdanum). AdC, as mentioned, is very good and probably one of the better of its kind and I prefer it over Uomo which takes a similar citrus concept and pairs it with patchouly - while I like it, it's not as "clean" or "bright" smelling for summer. Sandalo I had while living in Las Vegas and it, to me, just didn't work in the bone dry heat because it's a bone dry type of scent. Had several others but wouldn't call them summer scents, though Piper Nigrum was my favorite. Don't know how any of these are today since I had them all a good 8-14 years ago.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage View Post
    What are your general thoughts, which LV fragrances have you tried, which are your favorites from the line?
    They're OK. I've tried Sandalo, Uomo, Vetiver Piper Nigrum and a few others.
    Last edited by hednic; 9th September 2017 at 02:30 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Community Manager

If you like pepper, definitely try Piper Nigrum. On me it's a bit too much black pepper, I get tired of wearing it.
    Sandalo is great, or was great. I hear confliction stories on how well it's been reformulated. I have an older bottle with a very pronounced sandalwood note and use it a lot in the winter.
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

I love Lorenzo Villoresi's early fragrances. My favorites are Piper Nigrum, Vetiver, Yerbamate, and Spezie. Ambra is also very good but absolutely nobody ever mentions it!

The only one worth tying is uomo for the weather you described ...I myself live in a hot weather county and its a nice one but I wish it lasted longer on my skin !

My very favorite of the line is Aura Maris. Next would be Acqua di Colonia, but it might be a little harder to find.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626
    Currently wearing: Néroli Sauvage by Creed

This house was spoken of all the time back when I joined BN. Piper Nigrum was all the rage. The hype died down, but this is still a good house. Uomo is your summer scent and Sandalo is an excellent winter fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Rocabar by Hermès

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy View Post
    This house was spoken of all the time back when I joined BN. Piper Nigrum was all the rage. The hype died down, but this is still a good house. Uomo is your summer scent and Sandalo is an excellent winter fragrance.
    It's also very seldom mentioned on youtube. Shame, the house seems to have a decent aesthetic and looks quite affordable for a niche.

For future reference, the only place that seems to carry samples is Surrender to Chance, (though very limited- Aura Maris, Tropicana, Musk, Sandalo and some others). Decantshop also has a handful.

As a side note, Chandler Burr rated Teint de Neige as "transcendent."
    Last edited by Hermitage; 12th September 2017 at 03:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    Ambra is also very good but absolutely nobody ever mentions it!
    Yes! Wonderful dry take on the note, unique in that it strongly features ambergris, as opposed to straight up sweet amber. As far as ambers go, it could work well in heat.

Otherwise, yes, Uomo is great, and Piper Nigrum.

Haven't smelled any others, but it sounds like I should check out Yerbamate ASAP. There was a brief rage for a long, long time ago (along with LV in general, as trumpetguy said).
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 11th September 2017 at 03:45 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Uomo has been one of my go-to fragrances for 13 years now, great year around. Acqua di Colonia works even better in summer. Buying both blind is not a bad idea - or at least as bad as it usually is.

Does anyone know where to find samples for these, or whether they'll send them out (do houses do that anymore...!?)
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Yes! Wonderful dry take on the note, unique in that it strongly features ambergris, as opposed to straight up sweet amber. As far as ambers go, it could work well in heat.

Otherwise, yes, Uomo is great, and Piper Nigrum.

Haven't smelled any others, but it sounds like I should check out Yerbamate ASAP. There was a brief rage for a long, long time ago (along with LV in general, as trumpetguy said).
    Yes, do try Yerbamate. It's like a field of wildflowers and weeds in some strange place ... with powder.I wore it to a dentist appointment once and it created quite the sensation among the office staff (positive).

Basenotes Plus

"A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Acqua di Colonia is my favorite

Love Lorenzo's Patchouli and for females Teint de Neige

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Does anyone know where to find samples for these, or whether they'll send them out (do houses do that anymore...!?)
    Notino might be an option - I know they had the range in stock a while ago. Not sure if it's still the case...

Of course if you want bricks and mortar stores, there's Liberty London and Fortnum & Mason.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    Yes, do try Yerbamate. It's like a field of wildflowers and weeds in some strange place ... with powder.I wore it to a dentist appointment once and it created quite the sensation among the office staff (positive).
    I do love Yerbamate, but it's been so long I wonder if it's changed at all. It does go through quite a progression, from very hay-like to fresh green, tea and powdery. It is a very nice scent. I need to invest in another bottle sometime, though Piper Nigrum was higher on the list (I've read that's a shadow of its former self which would be a shame.)
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Notino might be an option - I know they had the range in stock a while ago. Not sure if it's still the case...

Of course if you want bricks and mortar stores, there's Liberty London and Fortnum & Mason.
    Thank you, really appreciate the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    I do love Yerbamate, but it's been so long I wonder if it's changed at all. It does go through quite a progression, from very hay-like to fresh green, tea and powdery. It is a very nice scent. I need to invest in another bottle sometime, though Piper Nigrum was higher on the list (I've read that's a shadow of its former self which would be a shame.)
    My bottle of Yerbamate is from back in the days before the translucent bottles were dropped in favor of clear ones, so I can't speak about recent batches. I do think that the clear bottle Piper Nigrum I have isn't as great as my earlier translucent bottle, but when I've said that before there were people who argued loudly on here that I was wrong and that the formula hadn't changed, so I'll just leave it at that.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Big fan of the house. Only currently have a bottle of Vetiver (old blue one, 3 ingredients listed) but got 3ml decants on eBay of ~half dozen others. I think my first ever purchase of something technically 'niche' was a partial bottle of Wild Lavender almost 10 years ago, long since finished.

Sandalo and Vetiver are my two favorites. Piper Nigrum hits the spot for a fresh aromatic peppery scent (as opposed to the heavier woody ones) but the urge rarely strikes. Yerbamate I still haven't tried, along with a handful of others. Really enjoyed Patchouli, Uomo, Alamut, and Musk as well. The only one I actively dislike is Incensi - it's a little too high-pitched/soapy for me. Like a light that is too bright.

Did you visit the Villoresi website? They have a 2ml x 16 sample set for 44€ of the main collection and a 2ml x 6 for 20€ of the 'vintage' collection. Not sure if they ship to the UK. If they do, shipping might be kind of hefty. It tends to be from Italy to the US at least.

Ah thank you, that wasn't showing up on google at all - should have tried the website directly.

I've actually purchased several of these from the USA in carded samples so might hang bang for those to arrive until buying some more.

Also...is there any sort of difference between the Vintage Collection and the predecessors?

EDIT: Checked their website. The ones I'm most interested in - Sandalo, Ambra, and Incensi - aren't available in sample form unfortunately.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    Love Lorenzo's Patchouli and for females Teint de Neige
    would agree with these. I own both and Patch its great, teint I got cause i love powdery scents but wow this ones tough to wear for a guy, and I wear traditionally femme frags all the time with no issue but this pushes my boundaries. I'll still wear it but defnitely like it more on a girl
    Currently wearing: Jardin d'Amalfi by Creed

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Ah thank you, that wasn't showing up on google at all - should have tried the website directly.

I've actually purchased several of these from the USA in carded samples so might hang bang for those to arrive until buying some more.

Also...is there any sort of difference between the Vintage Collection and the predecessors?

EDIT: Checked their website. The ones I'm most interested in - Sandalo, Ambra, and Incensi - aren't available in sample form unfortunately.
    That's weird, all three of those show up in the Vintage Collection sample set for me. Link here. They also appear to be available individually for 4€ each, if one did not want the whole set.

As for the Vintage Collection being the same formulae as when they were still in the older blue bottles, I can't say. I believe in a past thread where someone reached out directly to Villoresi, they got a response stating they were. Call me a skeptic (I generally am) but I think it could go either way. I mean, some of them came out in the early 1990's. Quite a few materials have been restricted since then.

Really appreciate your response, thank you - for some reason I couldn't navigate to the Vintage Collection samples...not sure if it's because I'm in the UK or just computer illiterate!

The postage costs weren't great so I bought it slightly cheaper from the Netherlands. Still...think I've been spoilt by UK-based perfume buying, as postage is basically the same again as the sample set (20 euros for the set, 15 euros for postage).

Looking forward to trying them. Thanks Superman!

Try First in Fragrance : https://www.ausliebezumduft.de/
    Summer 2020 : Guerlain Vetiver; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Etro Gomma; Palais Jamais and Dianthus; Hermes Equipage Geranium; Aramis Tuscany; Caron Yatagan and Third Man; Knize Ten ; Parfums d'Empire Eau de Gloire and Corsica Furiosa; Anatole Lebreton L'Eau de Merzhin; Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta pour Homme

https://www.perfumelounge.nl/product...-discovery-set

That's the link for anyone interested ^^^