Code of Conduct

Thread: Jean Patou 1000

Default Jean Patou 1000

In the interest of full disclosure, I am an Ebay seller. I'm not a perfume enthusiast. I picked up 5 brand new 30 ml (1 oz) bottles of Jean Patou 1000 perfume. I would like some help determining the age of this perfume. I haven't been able to find any solid information online via Google search and Ebay. Any help that you could provide me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

SAM_6194.jpgSAM_6193.jpgSAM_6196.jpgSAM_6198.jpgSAM_6199.jpg

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Jean Patou 1000

Perhaps this should be re-posted in the Appraisals Forum.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Missing Oakmoss

In general, the outer box indicates the period between 1990 (when barcodes were instituted) and 2005 (when the long list of ingredients started appearing). Agree that this thread would be better served in the Appraisals forum.

Thanks for the input. That really helps. Can a moderator or someone else move this thread to appraisals or should I repost it there?

Default Patou 1000

In the interest of full disclosure, I am an Ebay seller. I'm not a perfume enthusiast. I picked up 5 brand new 30 ml (1 oz) bottles of Jean Patou 1000 perfume. I would like some help determining the age of this perfume. I haven't been able to find any solid information online via Google search and Ebay. Any help that you could provide me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Patou1.jpgPatou2.jpgPatou3.jpgPatou4.jpgPatou5.jpg

Missing Oakmoss

Default Re: Patou 1000

Hi, I answered on your other thread and you responded, so I won't re-post the exchange - glad to see you have opened a thread here in the Appraisals section. It's a gorgeous bottle and box.

Edited to add: If the outer box features a little recycling-type arrow within a circle (known as "the green dot") on the sides not shown in your photos, the perfume is post-1993. So...no green dot: between 1990 and 1993. Post greendot: 1993-2005.
    Last edited by Bonnette; 13th September 2017 at 04:55 PM.

Thanks for that information. I'll check out the other sides of the box when I get home tonight. I've read about old formulations and new formulations. Which would this be in either case?

Missing Oakmoss

There's no way of knowing, because vintage perfumes from all houses have undergone reformulations throughout their histories for a variety of reasons, including availability of ingredients, good or bad crop years, war privations, and more. Official restrictions on ingredients were widely introduced between 2008-10, but in anticipation of these regulations, some companies began to tinker with their formulae as early as 1988-90. Reformulation history is a well-guarded secret within the industry. Personally, I look for vintage fragrances from no later than 2000, and preferably earlier (depending on house).

Very interesting. Who would have known that perfume was so complicated? Certainly not a mid-50s, midwest American man like me.

Now, the question I really came here to get answered. What is this particular perfume worth? I see a recently completed Ebay sale of a 1/2 oz bottle that went for $495. This listing emphasized that it was the original 1972 formulation. This is the highest sale of Patou 1000 in the last 60 days.

Another question I should get answered is whether or not what I have is authentic? It seems that nearly everything is counterfeited these days. Any thoughts on the authenticity of this particular bottle?

Thanks again!

Missing Oakmoss

Vintage bottles like yours are not likely to be counterfeits. Its packaging is lush and counterfeiters don't usually bother with such things. Everything about your bottle and box look correct to me. Your bottle is sealed and still has its outer box; evaporation has been minimal. It appers to have been well stored. If I were looking for a 1oz sealed 1000 with box, I'd expect to pay around $400.

Thanks again for all of this information. It's refreshing to do a touch and go at a user community while looking for help on an item's value and not get bashed. A couple more questions.

1. Is there any age information associated with the code on the tag in the box or the code on the bottom of the bottle?

2. 3 of the 5 that I have are still sealed with the outer cellophane intact. From a potential buyer's perspective, am I better off leaving them sealed or opening them to take pictures of the contents?

Thanks again!

Missing Oakmoss

Patou is particularly difficult to date with specificity. I am sure that the code means something, but I've never seen a code tag and wouldn't know what it meant.

Definitely, keep those cellophane-wrapped boxes intact. Some buyers like to be sure that a bottle is full, so they don't mind a seller removing the wrapper - given a choice, though, I (and most vintage collectors I'm aware of) would be much more likely to buy a vintage perfume with its cellophane intact. Just be sure and state in the product description that you do not accept returns based on a buyer's complaints about the bottle, as you have not seen it and there would be no way for you to assess its condition pre- and post-sale.
    Last edited by Bonnette; 13th September 2017 at 07:44 PM.

Smellcheck

Quote Originally Posted by kknh3 View Post
    Thanks again for all of this information. It's refreshing to do a touch and go at a user community while looking for help on an item's value and not get bashed.
    I couldn't possibly add anything to the thorough and concise information that Bonnette already provided you, but just wanted to say it's also refreshing to have a "touch & go" questioner be as transparent and forthright about their intentions as you were. Not to mention polite!

Good manners really do provide rewards.

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    ... Just be sure and state in the product description that you do not accept returns based on a buyer's complaints about the bottle, as you have not seen it and there would be no way for you to assess its condition pre- and post-sale.
    While I agree with Bonette that sealed bottles are more sought after I would probably open it before listing. If I pay $400 and get an empty bottle I am not going to be happy. And maybe suspect that seller was trying to swindle. Cellophane wrapping is not a seal.
    IIRC this may have a thread seal on the bottle. So maybe use that in you EBay listing.
    Currently wearing: Wall Street by Victor

You could weigh the unopened boxes vs. the opened one if you have a decently accurate scale to make sure they aren't too far apart. Also, you can use a picture of the opened one as an example of what to expect from the unopened one, since they were all probably stored in the same conditions, just mention in the description that that's what you're doing and that they're from the source.

I'm not sure, but I think that oval mark on the bottom of the bottle is older than the circular mark that's on a lot of their bottles. Can anyone confirm that?

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by beleriand View Post
    I'm not sure, but I think that oval mark on the bottom of the bottle is older than the circular mark that's on a lot of their bottles. Can anyone confirm that?
    Sorry, I've never seen any info about that.

Edited to add: It looks like one of Patou's Baccarat bottles. My guess would be 1990s - it's post-barcode, so after 1990; if green dot is present, it would be post-1993. It's not later than 2005 (when the long list of ingredients appeared).
    Last edited by Bonnette; 14th September 2017 at 12:28 AM.

Here are some more pics. I assume the symbol on the right side of the box pic is where I would find the green dot. Is this correct?

Also, it looks like the string seal is intact. As such, it seems that this bottle hasn't been opened.

IMG_1748[1].jpgIMG_1749[1].jpgIMG_1750[1].jpg

Missing Oakmoss

Thank you for the additional photos. The green dot is present, so it's probably safe to say the perfume is from the mid-90s (but could be early 2000s). Yes, the seal - technical term baudruchage - is intact. It's a thing of beauty
    Last edited by Bonnette; 14th September 2017 at 12:54 AM.

Thank you for the additional photos. The green dot is present, so it's probably safe to say the perfume is from the mid-90s (but could be early 2000s). Yes, the seal - technical term baudruchage - is intact. It's a thing of beauty
    Thanks again for all of the info. Please clarify me on the location of the green dot. I don't see it in the pic or on the actual box.

Nevermind, I reread your previous spot and now understand that the symbol itself is call the "green dot".
    Last edited by kknh3; 14th September 2017 at 01:14 AM.

Always be smelling

The circle with two arrows like ying yang is the green dot. On the right
    Currently wearing: Wall Street by Victor

Missing Oakmoss

Nevermind, I reread your previous spot and now understand that the symbol itself is call the "green dot".
    Right.

Quote Originally Posted by beleriand View Post
    You could weigh the unopened boxes vs. the opened one if you have a decently accurate scale to make sure they aren't too far apart. Also, you can use a picture of the opened one as an example of what to expect from the unopened one, since they were all probably stored in the same conditions, just mention in the description that that's what you're doing and that they're from the source.

The opened and unopened boxes all weigh within 0.1 oz of each other. As such, I'm confident all bottles are unopened and full. Thanks for the suggestion.

Missing Oakmoss

It is unusual to find five such excellent exemplars of this perfume, so the provenance might be important in your sales description. For example: Did they come from department store stock or from a private collection? Do you know how and/or where they were stored? Vintage collectors love to know backstories and to have some idea of provenance, which can in some cases justify greater expenditures.

It is unusual to find five such excellent exemplars of this perfume, so the provenance might be important in your sales description. For example: Did they come from department store stock or from a private collection? Do you know how and/or where they were stored? Vintage collectors love to know backstories and to have some idea of provenance, which can in some cases justify greater expenditures.
    I wish I could say that I have a good backstory for these bottles of perfume. However, I don't. I purchased them at an upscale resale shop in the St. Louis area where I live. Obviously, I know nothing of their history. I have one of the bottles listed on Ebay. I don't want to possibly violate any of your forum's rules, so I won't post any information that's specific to the actual listing. I'm sure anyone who is interested can find it easily enough. If not, I will gladly share the listing, my Ebay username, and/or my Ebay store's name via the private message feature of this forum.

Missing Oakmoss

You were wise to purchase all five. No backstory is necessary, just interesting to buyers if it exists. Not many of the vintage perfumes on eBay have "personal histories", so it's fun to come across exceptions.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am an Ebay seller. I'm not a perfume enthusiast.
    Thanks for the input. That really helps. Can a moderator or someone else move this thread to appraisals or should I repost it there?
    Hi and welcome to BN.
    I've moved the thread to the appraisals forum and kept a redirect link temporarily. Please do make sure you read our rules carefully on marketplace rules and selling.