Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Junkie Man Of The World's Avatar
    Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Default I don't Own Dior Homme...I Have Never Even Tried It...Am I Missing Out?

I do not own Dior Homme or Dior Homme Intense. I have never even sampled it. While I can't speak for everyone it is generally regarded as one of the best fragrances ever released. There are some who consider it the holy grail. I keep hearing about this lipstick smell which has put me off of even sampling it but the more I read about it the more fascinated I become. I am most probably going to buy a decant. What are you thoughts on the fragrance and how does it compare to the original (as I am led to believe that there has been a slight reformulation)?

Thanks!
    Currently wearing: CH Men by Carolina Herrera

Default Re: I don't Own Dior Homme...I Have Never Even Tried It...Am I Missing Out?

Both are really nice/ beautiful scents imo. Just test them out, give them a full wearing and stand your ground, as you are a Man of the World. ^^

I drink and I know things Palmolive's Avatar

Default Re: I don't Own Dior Homme...I Have Never Even Tried It...Am I Missing Out?

Indeed you are. Dior homme, intense and parfum are all worth having in your collection even if it's just a 10ml decant of each as they are all different yet the same and all great whilst being quite versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Indeed you are. Dior homme, intense and parfum are all worth having in your collection even if it's just a 10ml decant of each as they are all different yet the same and all great whilst being quite versatile.
    Which is your favorite of the 3??

Both are good with the original been more classy. I would not say they are must purchases but worthy of been sampled.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

They're both nice fragrances, but you have to like Iris as a theme note. I wouldn't call them the holy grail, but IMO a lot of other designers have worked other popular fragrances off of their blueprint. I don't own either, simply because I'm not big on the iris note. I believe that is where the lipstick or cosmetic tone carries from. Sample them.
    Currently wearing: Himalaya by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Man Of The World View Post
    Which is your favorite of the 3??
    Tough choice. DH is more versatile, Intense is just more gooder but a tad overpowering in some situations and Parfum is limited in its range but perfect for a dressed up night out. DHI is probably the best pick as you could go easy on the trigger if the situation called for it.

For a more modern take on these classics check out the Valentino Uomo range as well because they are great and share a lot of the same DNA

Tough choice. DH is more versatile, Intense is just more gooder but a tad overpowering in some situations and Parfum is limited in its range but perfect for a dressed up night out. DHI is probably the best pick as you could go easy on the trigger if the situation called for it.

For a more modern take on these classics check out the Valentino Uomo range as well because they are great and share a lot of the same DNA
    Thanks for that!

Mate, you can sample this anywhere they sell Dior products.

DH, DHI and DHP are all must haves for me. DHP is the one I wear most often and I wear it casually, although I do the same with everything I own.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

What are you thoughts on the fragrance and how does it compare to the original (as I am led to believe that there has been a slight reformulation)?

Thanks!
    I like it a lot and only have bottles of the original releases, but would be content with any iteration of this scent.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestbrummie View Post
    DH, DHI and DHP are all must haves for me. DHP is the one I wear most often and I wear it casually, although I do the same with everything I own.
    Something about DHP screams elegance to me bud and even though I wear anything anywhere (and wear) this one just has that certain je ne sais quoi that makes it fit hand in glove with a well tailored fit as it has such a formal air to it. Might have to live dangerously and see what happens:

*dons tracksuit*
    *applies 4 sprays of DHP*
    *goes to the gym*

Come to think of it the sillage on this one could become my secret weapon in the ring:

"I don't know, he was like surrounded in an iris leather haze, you know? I couldn't see him clearly and those lefts and rights just kept coming out of nowhere as I was set adrift on Dior bliss and pain"

Sample and you'll know....just like every other fragrance in the world.

No need to buy a larger decant unless you know you like it and want to wear it.
    Basenotes sales: 18.21SweetTobacco, TiffanyforMenConcen, de Bachmakov, Atelier PomeloParadis & VetiverFatal, St James of London, TiffanyforMen mini, 17 CubaParis frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, ReyaneInsurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

I own the first formulation and all I can say is I got it first because of all the hype but it took a couple of wearings to like it. I can't say I can't do without it but I could probably emphasize that its a staple in a collector's inventory.
    Treasured Fragrances

Terre d'Hermes
    Timbuktu
    Ambre Nuit
    Encre Noire A L'Extreme
    Raghba Wood Intense
    Currently wearing: Aoud Safran by Montale

Something about DHP screams elegance to me bud and even though I wear anything anywhere (and wear) this one just has that certain je ne sais quoi that makes it fit hand in glove with a well tailored fit as it has such a formal air to it. Might have to live dangerously and see what happens:

*dons tracksuit*
    *applies 4 sprays of DHP*
    *goes to the gym*

Come to think of it the sillage on this one could become my secret weapon in the ring:

"I don't know, he was like surrounded in an iris leather haze, you know? I couldn't see him clearly and those lefts and rights just kept coming out of nowhere as I was set adrift on Dior bliss and pain"
    Quote of the bloody year!

I don't get a formal or informal impression of scent though, and I think by the time someone is close enough to you to be able to smell what you're wearing, they will already have an impression of you through primarily clothes and then demeanour. Their perceptions of what perfume you're wearing will be set by that impression, I reckon.

Both are great. DHI being one of my top 10 fragrances.

IMO, no. I don't own Dior Homme. Dior Homme started a trend of powdery-iris-based fragrances in the modern age that from my reading seemed to start like 10 years or so ago. Since Dior Homme there have been ever increasingly powdery and every increasingly sweet fragrances trying to capitalize off of the popularity of powder fragrances. The most recent popular one is Prada L'Homme. To my nose Prada L'Homme is a totally over-done iris-sweet bomb. If you want the best iris-based fragrance made during this 'trend' I recommend trying to find a bottle of Midnight in Paris EDT or EDP that contains a nicely blended and controlled iris with leather mixed in. I think Midnight in Paris is the most tasteful and masterful of the popular ones, but was discontinued and now you can only find on ebay or etsy from private sellers.

I smelled Dior Homme, the original, and IMO you're far more likely to think the fragrances that came after it are superior because the whole iris schtick has been done to death since the original. If you cannot find Midnight in Paris then I recommend YSL La Nuit de L'Homme.

I bought DH when it came out back when I was in college. I spent a long time tracking down the vintage (which I can smell a difference although the stuff now is good too). I have 3 bottles now, it's a masterpiece to me. A lot of other Iris scents are too sweet, DH isn't and is classy and masculine. I also have 2013 DHI and a 150ml backup of it. They are masterful to me. DHI is less versatile than DH but the iris is so well done and not cloyinly sweet.

Wearing it today, and it is one of my favorites. Definitely one to try. Have sample Intense, and while it's nice, never wanted to pick up a bottle.

I keep hearing about this lipstick smell which has put me off of even sampling it but the more I read about it the more fascinated I become. I am most probably going to buy a decant. What are you thoughts on the fragrance and how does it compare to the original (as I am led to believe that there has been a slight reformulation)?
    There was a lot of "lipstick" chatter when it was released, a likely reaction to it being one of the first mainstream male fragrances with an iris note. I never did get it, but regardless, iris ain't no thang anymore, so if you've smelled anything else with much iris and didn't immediately think "lipstick," you probably won't with Dior Homme, either.

There is a lot of truth to what tspencer says above - Dior Homme did start a long-term iris trend - but I disagree in that Dior Homme/DHI still feel unique even after the iris wave, with their semi-gourmand spiced leather orientation. I also like and own Midnight in Paris, but I never really equated with Dior Homme. It reads more like Bulgari Black + florals + a pinch of Chergui to me. The only real similarity to the fresh-iris of Prada L'Homme is that both have iris, and IMO there's room for more than one iris scent in a wardrobe...but I like the note.

I slightly prefer the original Dior Homme. As other have said, it's more versatile and leathery vs gourmand, and more versatile. But both are gorgeous.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 13th September 2017 at 02:21 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

DHI is a good one for a classic Dior Homme - smells best in my opinion. Dior Homme Parfum is richer, sweeter, darker and more masculine than the original edt. The others vary widely from the original DH smell, but as flankers maintain some of the soft iris/suede like character. Summary: L'Eau is aquatic and very watery, Cologne is tart citrus smooth cologne, Sport '13 is gingery spiced, Sport '17 is more aquatic and powdery. All of the Dior Homme's share a smoothness and languid quality unique to the DH brand, but they are quite different from each other. Just try them to see what you like most. You should know if you are "missing out". Personally - I like DHI or DHP best but, but I wear DH Cologne and either of the DH Sport versions the most because they work for everyday. Some people prefer L'Eau too -it is is very easy to live with.
    favorites: santo incienso • azemour les oranger • eau de neroli dore • cedro di taormina • uae oud • byredo rodeo • le sillage blanc • piccadilly '69 • byredo la botte • monsieur houbigant musk • bibliothetique • sammarco bond-t • dusita Issara •

Re: I don't Own Dior Homme...I Have Never Even Tried It...Am I Missing Out?
    Well, for someone whose interest in the hobby is great enough to have an active Basenotes account, I'd say it's definitely one that you should sample. Living in America---can't speak for the rest of the world---it also seems like an extraordinarily easy scent to sample: they have it at Macy's and so many department stores.

As for me, it's one of three fragrances that I will never be without.

For me, personally, I also think that Dior Homme Eau is something of a masterpiece as well.

If you end up liking the scent, then it would seem you are missing out in not giving it a try.

Just so you understand a little about me. For the last 15 years, I have only known Aqua Di Gio since I was 15 and thought that no other scent compared.

I found this site and fragantica last year and started reviewing everything and looking at top rated scents. Blind bought a few niche colognes like Aventus and started smelling every top rated cologne I could buy at the fragrance shops.

All that being said. DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT FOLLOW THE REVIEW AND RATING HYPE FOR EVERYTHING!!! I recently went to Perfumeria Tin Tin in Palma Spain while on deployment (Hence many of my blind purchases). I decided to check out Dior Homme and its intense flanker because of it's 4.5 rating on Fragantica and all the hype surrounding it! LET ME BE CLEAR. Dior Homme it's intense flanker smells like 100 PERCENT LIPSTICK. There is no nice complexity, no unique dry down, no balance, no feminine sweet blended coco/vanilla. It smells 100 Percent like lipstick. Ironically I haven't smelled lipstick in ages since digging through my Mom's purse many years ago, but you can't miss that smell for anything in this world, you can't play it off for something remotely the same. It smells like lipstick!!!!!!!

Good thing a good friend of mind introduced me too YSL L Homme while I was there!!!! My oh My I have smelling my hand like some psyco crazed maniac all over the ship im on. designer or Niche... I don't care, Panny Dropper forsure. Can't wait to try Aventus when I get back home.. Hopefully it has the same effect on me.
    Last edited by HunterC; 13th September 2017 at 05:38 PM.

What are you thoughts on the fragrance and how does it compare to the original (as I am led to believe that there has been a slight reformulation)?
    I think it is excellent and it's definitely worth trying. My favorite is the original, followed by the Intense flanker.

My advice would be to get a sample of the original. If you like that one you should also try the intense while if you don't like DH you probably also won't like the DHI.

If you like iris as a note, then yes you're missing out.

If you're like me and detest iris, then no, you'll hate it.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oschi View Post
    I agree - and - if you're not sure how you feel about iris, Dior Homme could be a scent that helps you figure it out. My advice: After you've gotten a feel for Dior Homme, check out Grey Vetiver for a totally different take on iris. I'm talking about the original Grey Vetiver, the one simply named Grey Vetiver. The more recent EDT version is a flanker and, in my opinion, it's nowhere near as good because it's missing the iris that gives Grey Vetiver its greyness... but let's not derail the topic of Dior Homme.

Dior Homme is a masterpiece of modern perfumery. I would very strongly recommend you stick with the original Dior Homme rather than Dior Homme Intense. Both are excellent, but I think the original is significantly better. It's a bit fresher though it has the same wonderful base. It's more versatile. It has more development on skin.

The current Dior Homme that's sold in stores is excellent.
    Current Favorites (not in any particular order)
    Rose 31
    Individuel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    Castile
    APOM
    Curve
    Lumiere Noire
    Reflection Man
    Aqua Celestia
    Interlude Man
    Dior Homme
    Grey Vetiver
    Petit Matin
    1725 Casanova
    Prada L'Homme
    Aqua Universalis
    Bergamote Soleil
    Millesime Imperial
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori HM EDT

Quote Originally Posted by oschi View Post

If you're like me and detest iris, then no, you'll hate it.
    I actually really like iris so I suppose I better get cracking!

when I sampled DH I didn't like it. maybe I would if I revisited it.

something can be very popular, famous even, but not accord with individual taste (another Dior men's fragrance, Fahrenheit, might be a good example of this phenomenon - although I personally like that one!!)
    Currently wearing: Figment Man by Amouage

You are definitely missing out, in my opinion. The whole line is excellent, and the original and Intense are the best of the line. 5-Star scents, if you ask me.
    Currently wearing: H.M. by Hanae Mori

To the OP, or anyone really. Even if you don't think you'll like something, try it anyways.

1. You may be surprised.
    2. You'll get the experience and improve/grow your 'olfactive library'.
    Last edited by ILikePeeps; 14th September 2017 at 12:41 AM.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

In my view Dior Homme stands out as one of the few truly original male fragrances of the last ten years. Forget the 'lipstick' note (which I never really got and which speaks more of insecurity than perfumery imo) and try it for yourself. For the record, I prefer the original EdT - more elegant, more versatile - and think the current version is great. Intense is sweeter and more gourmand. I found the parfum to be a honkingly brash chemical bomb. Voilà.