Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default At the age of 45, I am COMPLETELY new to all this...!!!

A big HI to everyone...!!!

So a little bit about me...

I had NEVER been interested in wearing perfumes for most of my life.
    In 1997 and I was given a bottle of Armani Pour Homme a few months prior.
    I absolutely loved it and the bottle lasted me a few years as I only wore it sparingly.
    Once I finished the bottle, I never purchased any other Perfume again.
    I would liked to have purchased a bottle of Armani Pour Homme, but the price was too high and I couldn't justify buying it.
    Many years later, when I did feel like buying a bottle I was told, by a friend, that the formula had changed.
    So I never went near a bottle

My wife would, ever year, get me a bottle of some thing from the high street (usually under £20) and I would wear this, and carried on like this for close to 18 years
    I never really paid attention to what they were called or what they really smelt like, I didn't even like most of them but just wore them cos they were there.

So then to March of this year, a friend of mine came to see me from the Middle East. He smelt really good. So asked him why he smelt so good.
    He mentioned the word Oud and then dipped a plastic stick into a little glass bottle and applied something to my wrist.
    It was DELICIOUS...!!!
    We spent the next couple of days talking or rather my friend talking/educating me about perfumes.
    He mentioned names like Black Afgano, Ispahan, Montale to name but a few that I could remember at the time
    He, himself, was still on a road of discovery

So then, I visited a few department stores and tried to to sample a few perfumes

I got to try Creed's Aventus (which I absolutely adore and want to buy),
    Creed's Virgin Island Water (I think I liked it...Need to try it again)
    Dior Ispahan which I hated and then fell in love with it on the second day...Go figure
    Nasomatto Black Afgano (I would buy this cos it very unusual for me)
    Nasomatto Blamage (I did like it but not enough to buy it)
    Victor & Rolf Spicebomb (Love the warming feeling I get form this)

I mainly prefer perfumes that have a Lemon, Lime & Pineapple influence & I believe, it's because I loved Armani Pour Homme which, if I remember correctly, had Lemon & Lime notes.

I do not have the knowledge or know how to explain what I smell in a perfume.
    I could not breakdown a juice into its components from smelling it.
    I am just starting to learn how to ENJOY what I like the smell of.

And that's why I'm here today...I'm enjoying this new "hobby" I guess and want to see what other people think about some of the perfumes I like and to find out what tickles.their fancy.
    Also I wanna know what juices have been on the market as well as what to expect in the future.

I know I have a lot of reading to do & and even more to learn.
    I'm looking forward to it

Thank you guys and especially those that took the time to actually read this...

Much Respect...!!!

Missing Oakmoss

Default Re: At the age of 45, I am COMPLETELY new to all this...!!!

Welcome to Basenotes and to the wonderful world of perfume, Sa-fire!

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Welcome to you Sa-fire! Enjoy your time here at Basenotes!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Smellcheck

Welcome, Sa-fire! Just keep reading and poking around here, and you'll find lots of folks who share your interests.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Flaubert liked tinsel better than silver because tinsel possessed all silver's attributes plus one in addition -- pathos.
    --Clive James, The Essential Essays, 1968-2002

Welcome, Sa-fire. The Armani is reported to have been improved in its most recent formulation, so you might check out a tester at a place where it's sold. The vintage version is also available from time to time on ebay. Coincidentally, I'm wearing the vintage today and agree with your take on it!

Welcome!

As you have probably noticed, oud has exploded in western perfumery and there are now literally hundreds of perfumes based on it. So just smelling that will keep you busy for a while.

cacio

It's never to late to start anything good! Hey I'm your age, we're only 45, not dead! Welcome to Basenotes. There's a lot to catch up to but it's gonna be fun, I promise you. Congratulations for diving in head first rather than dipping a tentative toe.
    Currently wearing: Irish Leather by Memo

Welcome to Basenotes!
    Enjoy the new world that has been opened up to you.
    Take your time with it all; no need to rush to buy everything that you like.

Welcome!

Tip #1 from an oldie (me) - NEVER buy anything before smelling it first. No matter how magical it's described online, it's impossible to universally describe a fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Diorella by Christian Dior

Call me Mr Cynical -- I'm just wondering how many subsequent posts we'll get from Shaggy Dog -- sorry Sa- Fire

Basenotes Junkie

Welcome. If you haven't seen already there is a split board where you can get decants of fragrances at a fraction of the cost. Its great for learning new stuff without spending a ton. I recommend going with 10ml decants to start. You can also try sampler packs that many manufactures offer online.

http://www.basenotes.net/forums/142-...e-Splits-Board

Welcome and have a wonderful time here on Basenotes, hope you will enjoy the interaction, insights and communication here, often superlative and fascinating.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Welcome!

Tip #1 from an oldie (me) - NEVER buy anything before smelling it first. No matter how magical it's described online, it's impossible to universally describe a fragrance.
    Excellent point, and one that will keep you from losing your money and your mind. :-)

Just a few you may want to sample.....

Jo Malone Oud and Bergamot
    Creed Spice and Wood
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mazzolari Nero
    Club de Nuit Intense

...many, many more! Just go to a site like luckyscent.com and start picking samples out sorting through first by notes that you know you enjoy, good luck!

Oud Wood is another you may want to check out. Welcome aboard!

Basenotes Junkie Man Of The World's Avatar
    Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Welcome. Funnily enough it was Oud that took me from being a mainstream cologne guy to something more.

HOLY CRAP....!!!!

What an amazing, warm welcome. I am so thankful for your comments.
    I thank you guys for the excellent advise you have shared & I will take on board all that you've said.

I do need your advice & guidance, as this hobby can be seriously expensive, and I don't have a great deal of money, as I'm sure most of the members here don't too.
    I wanna be able to spend my money wisely and truly enjoy any purchases I make.

It will take me a while to find my feet and my way around the forum, but I'm here now.

Again...Thank you guys.

Hi Cologne Connoisseur

Thank you for letting me know.
    I will definitely try a sample, if I can over the weekend

My question now is, do formulations change (for better or worse) for ALL perfumes?

I wasn't aware this was a thing
    Last edited by Sa-fire; 20th September 2017 at 09:25 AM.

Hi cacio.
    Thank you for the warm welcome.

I must admit, I have, as yet, not really quite grasped the whole Oud vibe. By that I mean I simply haven't had a sniff of more than 2 Oud perfumes.

I tried Armani Prive Oud Royal. I instantly felt I could wear this on a regular, but then I saw the price LOL...

I did also at the same time try Armani Rose D'Arabie which just smelt of roses. Not sure if Oud was supposed to be present. Will revisit it though.

But I'm sure I'll get to experience a lot more in due course

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    It's never to late to start anything good! Hey I'm your age, we're only 45, not dead! Welcome to Basenotes. There's a lot to catch up to but it's gonna be fun, I promise you. Congratulations for diving in head first rather than dipping a tentative toe.
    Thank you for making me feel so welcome & relaxing me.
    Before I joined here, I don't know why, but for some reason I felt the members here woud be in their 20-30 max with high flying professional careers & money to burn.

But after reading your post, you made me feel comfortable and I'm so glad I reached out.

THANK YOU AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Welcome!

HI Dane.

As logical as your advise is, I'm sure many out there that will NOT follow your advise. Call me old fashioned...Ahem but I couldn't and will not buy a perfume WITHOUT trying it first. I understand that this is all subjective, and besides, I neither have the lifestyle or the funds to live like that.

A great piece of advice for myself and everyone here.

Thank you dane

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Call me Mr Cynical -- I'm just wondering how many subsequent posts we'll get from Shaggy Dog -- sorry Sa- Fire
    Thank you for the warm welcome Mr Cynical...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by guitarphil View Post
    Welcome. If you haven't seen already there is a split board where you can get decants of fragrances at a fraction of the cost. Its great for learning new stuff without spending a ton. I recommend going with 10ml decants to start. You can also try sampler packs that many manufactures offer online.

http://www.basenotes.net/forums/142-...e-Splits-Board
    Hi guitarphil
    Thank you so much for link.

I will definitely make some purchases from here in the future.
    This will definitely be a big help on my wallet.

I think its brilliant that the community here is helping each other out In this fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah1919 View Post
    Just a few you may want to sample.....

Jo Malone Oud and Bergamot
    Creed Spice and Wood
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mazzolari Nero
    Club de Nuit Intense

...many, many more! Just go to a site like luckyscent.com and start picking samples out sorting through first by notes that you know you enjoy, good luck!
    Hi Cheetah1919
    Thank you for the welcome.

I'm so glad you listed some scents for me to sample. It feels like I've been given homework on the first day of school...LOL
    I'm familiar with the name Creed as I have tried Aventus before so I should be able to track down your recommendations.

The others I don't know of so I'll try and find somewhere to sample them.

And also thank you for the site recommendation too.
    That will surely come in handy

Thank you again

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Oud Wood is another you may want to check out. Welcome aboard!
    Thank you for the recommendation.
    I google'd Oud Wood and the results show as "Tom Ford Oud Wood". I assuming that's the one your talking about.

I will try it out when i come across it

Thanks again

welcomesign.gif
    Creed Royal Oud is the only one I like, all other Oud's smell like a shrine to me.

Creed Royal Oud.jpg

[QUOTE=Sa-fire;4205314]Hi Cologne Connoisseur

Thank you for letting me know.
    I will definitely try a sample, if I can over the weekend

My question now is, do formulations change (for better or worse) for ALL perfumes?[QUOTE}

Fragrances are reformulated fairly often, but not necessarily for all of them. They are done for various reasons, including unavailability of the original ingredients or restrictions imposed on their use by law or by IFRA. They are also done for cost considerations. Reformulations can go either way, for better or worse, but they can materially alter a fragrance from what it previously smelled like. The perfume houses rarely make any public announcement of reformulations. The Basenotes community does a good job of letting us all know when these occur, so if you have questions on this subject you can probably get your answers here.

Thank You Cologne Connoisseur for answering my question.

I honestly had no idea but after reading your explanation it clearly make sense for the Perfume Houses but not for the consumer.
    I first heard of such practice when Armani changed their formula as I mentioned in my original post but I assumed it was one off.
    Clearly not.

Thank you once again

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Sa-fire View Post

My question now is, do formulations change (for better or worse) for ALL perfumes?

I wasn't aware this was a thing
    Rule of thumb- all reformulations are for the worse. A few try to keep it the same and very rarely is a reformulation better.
    As CC said above, keep reading about reformulations in the forum threads to get an idea.
    Most common reason is - save money (so companies use cheaper substitutes) and regulations( as we discover ill effects of some of the perfume ingredients )
    Currently wearing: Wall Street by Victor

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    welcomesign.gif
    Creed Royal Oud is the only one I like, all other Oud's smell like a shrine to me.............
    Decent fragrance. No oud in sight.