Code of Conduct

Default Harry's Razors...uh, no

I got tired of paying the price for the Gillette Fusion Power blades. They're like $34 for 8 blades now.

So I bought a Gillette Mach 3 disposable pack in anger. Shaved great, but no back edge blade for trimming under the nose and the rim of my ears.

So I bought Harry's razor and blades. Yuck. Cut myself the first 2 days I used it, and it shaves at a very "flat" angle. Too much plastic frame around the blades as well. I had to really concentrate on keeping the blade angle as flat as possible. Too much work for about zero benefit. Now it does have the edge blade for trimming. That and the nice handle are the only two plusses for me.

I used the Mach 3 disposable this AM and it just crushes Harry's. I did use the Harry's for the back edge under my nose and on my ears.

I'm spoiled by the Fusion Power blades. I'll be going back.
    Currently wearing: Spice and Wood by Creed

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Harry's Razors...uh, no

Thanks for the heads up!

Love the Fusion Power blades also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I got tired of paying the price for the Gillette Fusion Power blades. They're like $34 for 8 blades now.

So I bought a Gillette Mach 3 disposable pack in anger. Shaved great, but no back edge blade for trimming under the nose and the rim of my ears.

So I bought Harry's razor and blades. Yuck. Cut myself the first 2 days I used it, and it shaves at a very "flat" angle. Too much plastic frame around the blades as well. I had to really concentrate on keeping the blade angle as flat as possible. Too much work for about zero benefit. Now it does have the edge blade for trimming. That and the nice handle are the only two plusses for me.

I used the Mach 3 disposable this AM and it just crushes Harry's. I did use the Harry's for the back edge under my nose and on my ears.

I went to DE safety razor 4 years ago and have never looked back. You should try it. Get a good razor and some good blades. The razor lasts forever and blades are cheap (10cents or so) and each blade will give 5-10 shaves. No cuts

https://www.amazon.com/Edwin-Jagger-...er%2Bde89&th=1
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Phoenix by Keith Urban

I have tried Harry's and I thought they were ok but nothing special.I think that the blades you get from shave clubs are pretty much all the same standard as I have tried quite a few. I have been down the DE route before and though it takes longer I could get a pretty good shave from it. Now I have grown a beard and it just the neck and upper cheek area I'm using shaving oil and a Phillips one blade and it's working fine for me with no irritation.

I agree with epapsiou. I have been using a DE safety razor for many years now. I started using it because it's what my grandfather used. There was a period in my early teens after he passed that I got very nostalgic for his stuff and ended up restoring and using an old copper/brass Gillette (open comb) safety razor that was his. I have had a beard for many years too, but really liked the DE razor so I could keep the edge of my beard and neck neatly maintained. That being said, I shave my head as well, but it's only within the last year that I've been doing it with a razor. It was usually some hair clippers without a guard to get as close as possible, but I decided to give the razor a shot one day and I've never looked back! I was using the Wilkinson Sword blades for many years and was enjoying them, but I recently switched over to Personna Lab Blues and I really like them. Definitely sharper than the Wilkinson Swords too and a little more aggressive on the first shave, but a better shave all around. Just don't apply too much pressure and you'd be fine. I only get two head shaves out of one razor though. The third shave on them is a rough one, but I got 200 of them for about $25 so I don't mind only getting two uses per blade. I get a better shave with DE's than multiple blade razors every time and they are much easier on my sensitive skin as well. Long story short...DE shaving is well worth a shot! You can get a decent razor that's a great shaver for under $50. I've been using the Merkur 34c for a long time and have no complaints with it.

Does the back edge razor on the Fusion cartridge wear out as quickly as the actual five blades do?

If not, why not just shave with Mach 3 and keep used Fusion cartridge razors to the side, only using their back edge razor when needed?
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Does the back edge razor on the Fusion cartridge wear out as quickly as the actual five blades do?

If not, why not just shave with Mach 3 and keep used Fusion cartridge razors to the side, only using their back edge razor when needed?
    Cheers,
    Renato
    That's basically what I'm doing now, except using the Harry's back edge trimmer. The Mach 3 is a good razor.
    Currently wearing: Spice and Wood by Creed

I've got annoyingly sensitive skin on my neck. For the past 4 months I've been using a Philips One Blade and it's been a dream.
    Currently wearing: Chrome Pure by Azzaro

Basenotes Plus

Fusion* Pro glide or nothing Chuck. I had a similar experience with Harrys, and the back blade didn't trim as well as Gillette did either. I couldn't get precise with it, and the blades just overall underperform. Only plus with Harry's is the handle is camo green and I'm a sucker for camo. I basically cut my cost in half and unfortunately my face paid the price. I threw them away.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Once you Double Edge you never go back!
    +1

I haven't looked back since 2005 approx.

Here's a useful link from approx that year that I found really good for those new to or about to enter the DE shaving experience:
    https://www.today.com/style/how-get-...ave-2D80554959
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Once you Double Edge you never go back!
    I did.

Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    I went to DE safety razor 4 years ago and have never looked back. You should try it. Get a good razor and some good blades. The razor lasts forever and blades are cheap (10cents or so) and each blade will give 5-10 shaves. No cuts

This is the way to go.

It's a higher, up-front cost, but in the long run you'll wind up saving money with how little the blades cost. I bought a 100-pack last year for $15-20 and I still have more than enough to cover me for possibly the next year.

Plus, it's kind of fun to use various scented shave creams and a badger hair brush.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

I'm not a DE fan personally, as I switch from SE to cartridge and of the cartridges, Mach 5 Fusion is definitely the best IMO.

In regard to Harry's I was initially a fan and on my rebuy, I could see that 3 of the 8 cartridges had a slight bow effect in the blade. No doubt there was a quality control issue but I didn't want to go through the hassle with Harry's, so I was able to even it up a bit with a hard backed strop.

In regard to either razor, if you don't have a hard backed strop, I suggest you get one and use it to extend the life of your cartridge (yes, it really works). For those of you who haven't used a strop before, it's always with the blade edge trailing - NEVER leading. Put the razor against the strop, push forward, lift the blade off of the strop and repeat. It'll take two minutes or less and 20 passes or so is good.
    Last edited by steve0580; 28th October 2017 at 04:06 PM.

Basenotes Junkie

Companies like Gillette will continue to gouge customers as long they keep buying. The price of cartridge blades has been absurd for ages.

I switched to DE about 6 months ago. Skin feels better, wallet feels better, and once your technique and blade/razor combination is right for you, you easily get the same closeness of shave as you do with a cartridge.

You just need to be willing to make the change.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rdoss27 View Post
    This is the way to go.

It's a higher, up-front cost, but in the long run you'll wind up saving money with how little the blades cost. I bought a 100-pack last year for $15-20 and I still have more than enough to cover me for possibly the next year.

Plus, it's kind of fun to use various scented shave creams and a badger hair brush.
    You can do this with cartridge razors as well.
    Last edited by Paul P; 11th October 2017 at 07:03 AM.

Used a Fusion for eons before "downgrading" to a Mach 3. Surprisingly, my shaving irritation went down with no impact on closeness. Picked up 28 blades for $36 at Costco on clearance a while back, so I'm set for two years.

Also like the Bic Flex 5 - a very close and inexpensive shave with minimal irritation. Like all Bic products, excellent value for the money. If I hadn't found that deal at Costco, I'd use this.

I haven't tried Harry's, but I did try Dollar Shave Club and basically experienced what the OP did with Harry's.
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Vintage Dior Leather Oud for sale (US only)

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Used a Fusion for eons before "downgrading" to a Mach 3. Surprisingly, my shaving irritation went down with no impact on closeness. Picked up 28 blades for $36 at Costco on clearance a while back, so I'm set for two years.

Also like the Bic Flex 5 - a very close and inexpensive shave with minimal irritation. Like all Bic products, excellent value for the money. If I hadn't found that deal at Costco, I'd use this.
    A friend of mine also finds Fusion more irritating than Mach 3, though I'm of the reverse position.

I like Bic Flex 3, as marginally better than the Flex 5.
    Cheers,
    Renato

DE all the way, Edwin Jagger DE89, Astra blades, badger brush and Taylor of Old Bond Street Cream results in baby-butt soft skin....splashed with some Speick A/S!
    "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

That is so intresting i would like do this types of styles https://cutehairstyles.review/

I concur with 'traditional' wet shaving. There's a huge swathe of history behind a lot of what you can pick up for cheap and the newer items to the market also tend to perform admirably!

It is also fun using differing soaps and creams, using a badger brush and seeing the lather 'explode' in front of you.

+1 on a DE shave. I used the Mach3 forever--liked it over the Fusion--but like so many others here, when I made the switch to DE, I never looked back. Yes--expensive up-front, but the cost evens out within a few months. You save LOADS in the long run. Plus--you get a better shave. Definitely worth checking out.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Let's Dance

Just get rid of those toys and go with a DE razor ....
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post

Agreed. I've been using DE razors for over twenty years, since my grandfather passed me down his Parker when I was sixteen. Nothing better. I see posts of men absolutely shredding their faces though, so I think more education is needed. Poor guys are used to having to press the razor into their faces to cut the beard, then they try that with DE - ouch!

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by DapperChapper View Post
    Agreed. I've been using DE razors for over twenty years, since my grandfather passed me down his Parker when I was sixteen. Nothing better. I see posts of men absolutely shredding their faces though, so I think more education is needed. Poor guys are used to having to press the razor into their faces to cut the beard, then they try that with DE - ouch!
    Yes. I guess each guy will know his face / stubble the best, so if you can use multi blade razors without ill effects, and you're happy using them, then go for it.

But honestly, the idea that you need 5 blades to shave 24 or 48 hours of stubble is crazy. And the idea that a DE razor can't shave as well as a multi blade is even crazier.

Try shaving a beard (1or 2 months of growth) with a cartridge. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post

Hi ChuckW,

I had virtually the same experience you did. It's frustrating to pay so dang much for the Gillette cartridges (I'm a Gillette Fusion Proglide guy), and I was eager to give Harry's a chance, thinking it might be the answer to a prayer, so to speak. No way. It didn't matter what angle I held the razor or how gingerly I shaved; it just ripped up my face. It didn't take long for me to bite the bullet and go back to paying Gillette's somewhat insane prices. That Fusion Proglide, along with my pre-shave treatment and shaving cream of choice, gives me the best shave of my life, time after time without flaw.

One thought/suggestion: I found I was able to get a good deal on the Gillette cartridges at Amazon recently with their "instant coupon" promotion. I'd never seen this before, but the coupon just showed up on the item page when I went looking to buy Progildes online (my local drugstore didn't have them in stock). I ended up paying $23. for 8 cartridges, which (as I'm sure you know) is a big discount compared to what I usually pay. I'm not sure if this was a one-time-only deal or if Amazon has some arrangement with Gillette, but it's worth looking for!

Best of Luck, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    . And the idea that a DE razor can't shave as well as a multi blade is even crazier.

I can't really agree with you Paul. A DE Razor cannot shave as well as a multi blade razor from just one pass. I've got over ten DE razors and I don't know how many blades, and I always feel like I need a shave a day after a single pass DE shave, whereas I don't need one for at least a day and a half after a single pass cartridge shave.

That is also why people do one or more of the multiple passes with the DE blade - with grain, against grain, across grain in one direction, across grain in other direction - in order to get a close shave equivalent to that from a multi blade razor.

The benefit of reducing irritation for some people comes from a DE razor not being supposed to be pushed into the skin, whereas cartridge razors require some pressure on the skin.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Junkie

I can't really agree with you Paul. A DE Razor cannot shave as well as a multi blade razor from just one pass. I've got over ten DE razors and I don't know how many blades, and I always feel like I need a shave a day after a single pass DE shave, whereas I don't need one for at least a day and a half after a single pass cartridge shave.

That is also why people do one or more of the multiple passes with the DE blade - with grain, against grain, across grain in one direction, across grain in other direction - in order to get a close shave equivalent to that from a multi blade razor.

The benefit of reducing irritation for some people comes from a DE razor not being supposed to be pushed into the skin, whereas cartridge razors require some pressure on the skin.
    Regards,
    Renato
    The minute you mention skin irritation / shaving to a dermatologist, the first thing they will ask if whether you use a cartridge razor, and if so, will tell you to switch to a safety or electric razor. There is a simple law of logic whereby one blade abrading the surface of your skin must be less traumatic than 3 or 4 or 5 going over the same part of your face one after the other.

Cartridge razors work on the principle of shaving hysteresis. DE razors work on the principle of progressive beard reduction. You are of course correct - a single pass of a DE razor cannot cut as much as a cartridge single pass - but in my view, that's a good thing. the question of how many passes are required depends on many things, one of which is what you expect out of a shave.I'm sure there are lots of men for whom a single pass DE shave is enough.

I'm not a purist, nor am I an evangelist. If cartridge razors work for you with no ill effects, and you enjoy using them, then you should keep using them. I know plenty of men who have no problems at all with cartridge razors. From my own experience, I started using cartridge razors 20 years ago, and was finding it less enjoyable as I got older. My face would have a burning sensation after most shaves, so i decided to make the switch to DE. After a few months of getting accustomed to DE, I never looked back. I have sensitive skin, and I can go 2 passes plus a clean up pass with no burning or irritation at all with DE. With DE, I get closer shaves, no irritation, plus it's cheaper and better for the environment.

The minute you mention skin irritation / shaving to a dermatologist, the first thing they will ask if whether you use a cartridge razor, and if so, will tell you to switch to a safety or electric razor. There is a simple law of logic whereby one blade abrading the surface of your skin must be less traumatic than 3 or 4 or 5 going over the same part of your face one after the other.

Cartridge razors work on the principle of shaving hysteresis. DE razors work on the principle of progressive beard reduction. You are of course correct - a single pass of a DE razor cannot cut as much as a cartridge single pass - but in my view, that's a good thing. the question of how many passes are required depends on many things, one of which is what you expect out of a shave.I'm sure there are lots of men for whom a single pass DE shave is enough.

I'm not a purist, nor am I an evangelist. If cartridge razors work for you with no ill effects, and you enjoy using them, then you should keep using them. I know plenty of men who have no problems at all with cartridge razors. From my own experience, I started using cartridge razors 20 years ago, and was finding it less enjoyable as I got older. My face would have a burning sensation after most shaves, so i decided to make the switch to DE. After a few months of getting accustomed to DE, I never looked back. I have sensitive skin, and I can go 2 passes plus a clean up pass with no burning or irritation at all with DE. With DE, I get closer shaves, no irritation, plus it's cheaper and better for the environment.
    Hi Paul,
    Thanks for your comment. There are plenty of DE blades that aggravate my skin just as much as various cartridge razors do. The only way to test aggravation levels is to check (assuming that it isn't already obvious by bleeding nicks) by applying alum after a shave and counting the stings or level of stings from micro-nicks.

On me, many of the much loved DE blades like Gillette Astra SP are just as aggravating as the Bic Hybrid 3 blade cartridge razor I posted about here a while back. But many unloved DE blades like Dorco and Shark are as pleasant to use as Gillette Fusion and Schick Hydro cartridges - though the cartridges shave a tad closer.

I feel that one needs to experiment with different blades be they in DE or in cartridge to find something comfortable. One is lucky, if like you, one comes across something good early on in trialing DE blades ( or maybe you are lucky in that most DE blades don't aggravate your skin).
    Cheers,
    Renato

Basenotes Junkie

Hi Paul,
    Thanks for your comment. There are plenty of DE blades that aggravate my skin just as much as various cartridge razors do. The only way to test aggravation levels is to check (assuming that it isn't already obvious by bleeding nicks) by applying alum after a shave and counting the stings or level of stings from micro-nicks.

On me, many of the much loved DE blades like Gillette Astra SP are just as aggravating as the Bic Hybrid 3 blade cartridge razor I posted about here a while back. But many unloved DE blades like Dorco and Shark are as pleasant to use as Gillette Fusion and Schick Hydro cartridges - though the cartridges shave a tad closer.

I feel that one needs to experiment with different blades be they in DE or in cartridge to find something comfortable. One is lucky, if like you, one comes across something good early on in trialing DE blades ( or maybe you are lucky in that most DE blades don't aggravate your skin).
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Yes, one definitely needs to trial a few different creams, soaps, blades etc. before you get the right combination. I started with a mild blade and razor (Merkur 34c and Derby and Shark blades) and the stock standard Proraso Green soap. Still using the Proraso and the 34c, but have moved beyond the Derby (terrible in my experience), and Shark (ok, but better options exist).

I cannot emphasize enough the theory and the science behind my previous post. Notwithstanding the trialing we mention, negative experiences with DE shaving usually revolve around inadequate prep and incorrect technique. Early on, I had bad experiences Feather and Personna Blue blades, but now they're fine, and in the case of the Personna, are my current preferred blades.

I do have an alum block, but never use it. When I finish shaving, I splash cold water on my face, then splash some after shave lotion, then moisturizer / after shave balm.

Yes, one definitely needs to trial a few different creams, soaps, blades etc. before you get the right combination. I started with a mild blade and razor (Merkur 34c and Derby and Shark blades) and the stock standard Proraso Green soap. Still using the Proraso and the 34c, but have moved beyond the Derby (terrible in my experience), and Shark (ok, but better options exist).

I cannot emphasize enough the theory and the science behind my previous post. Notwithstanding the trialing we mention, negative experiences with DE shaving usually revolve around inadequate prep and incorrect technique. Early on, I had bad experiences Feather and Personna Blue blades, but now they're fine, and in the case of the Personna, are my current preferred blades.

I do have an alum block, but never use it. When I finish shaving, I splash cold water on my face, then splash some after shave lotion, then moisturizer / after shave balm.
    The thing is that while evaluating the trials with blade and creams/soaps and technique, it is handy to have an objective measure other than number of visible nicks. While I initally hated my alum block, it did provide the objective measure for feedback by number of alum stings, (i.e. lots, moderate or minimal number of stings). Eventually I got annoyed with the white film my Turkish alum blocks kept leaving on my skin, and opted for the cheaper DeoNat crystal deordorant sticks they sell in our phramacies for around $7. They are made from ammonium alum, and sting slightly more (thus giving better feedback on the blade or cartridge, for the same cream).

I was going through an alum block a year, before switching to the DeoNat stick - which has been going for around four years and I'm nearly halfway through it. And as a bonus, it does double duty as an anti-perspirant stick.

Given the myriad of blades out there, one can hone in the best ones for one's face using an alum block or stick for feedback, initially at least, reducing the time to find one's best blades for one's skin. Otherwise, one has to rely on feedback such as rawness that shows up a day or two later after applying aftershave balm. Anyhow, I'm glad you found Persona to be your personal favourite.
    Cheers,
    Renato