Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Thoughts on Le Labo?

Patchouli 24
    Santal 33
    Bergamote 22
    The Noir 29
    Labdanum
    Oud
    I have liked pretty much all i have tried from this house.

Quote Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
    Bergamote 22 all day.
    same goes for me.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Still looking for Big Bottle of Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Santal is the clear winner for me, followed by a tie with The Noir and Ylang.

On a related note, does anyone know what's the retail price of a 50ml bottle of Gaiac 10 in Tokyo?

Iris and Ylang were interesting but I think Rose, Santal, and Vetiver are in the top running. I like Santal which seems to last forever and is addicting, but its popularity puts me off a bit. Vetiver just seems so wearable for me. Rose is a masterpiece.

Does Le Labo ship out samples with their bottles? I'd love to get some of their City Exclusives while they're still available.

Also, to the poster above 50ml of Gaiac is ¥36,720 in Japan, which translates to $326.84USD

Thanks for the info. Interesting that it's cheaper to buy Gaiac outside of Japan during the Sept event than in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by St0ry View Post
    Thanks for the info. Interesting that it's cheaper to buy Gaiac outside of Japan during the Sept event than in Japan.
    Not by much. It’s $300 USD for 50ml directly from Le Labo.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

$300 plus tax. Best price I would think would be buying in Europe. It's €264 which is $315USD, but you get a 15-18% VAT reduction if you're leaving the EU.

I bought a small travel thing of the Bergamote because I quite liked the hotel line they do which popped up in a couple of places I've stayed (Busan & Sanya). While I like the metal tube thing I found I could take or leave the actual perfume after a while (I just bang a Malle travel bottle in now - fits fine).

I have tried a few Santal, Patchouli, Labdanum and while I can understand the popularity (as much the 'cool' packaging touches as the perfumes) I still haven't been able to bring myself to buy a bottle - not a line that grabs me, really.

IMG_8896.jpgIMG_9155.jpg
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

I really enjoy Le Labo - although I get annoyed at their prices and some of their marketing ploys.

My 3 favorite fragrances are"

1. Santal 33 - great for signature fragrance
    2. Patchouli 24 - the most daring to me. great to wear occasionally on a winter night out
    3. The Noir (My wife's signature fragrance. She wears it every day and I love it on her)

I would probably say bergamot and santal.. santal kinda gives me a bit royal oud

Quote Originally Posted by sym View Post
    Iris and Ylang were interesting but I think Rose, Santal, and Vetiver are in the top running. I like Santal which seems to last forever and is addicting, but its popularity puts me off a bit. Vetiver just seems so wearable for me. Rose is a masterpiece.

Does Le Labo ship out samples with their bottles? I'd love to get some of their City Exclusives while they're still available.

Also, to the poster above 50ml of Gaiac is ¥36,720 in Japan, which translates to $326.84USD
    I got to try the city exclusives yesterday and the one that jumped out at me was Mousse de Chene 30. Really nice creamy/green fragrance. The price is pretty steep though. I believe they release these once a year.

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    I got to try the city exclusives yesterday and the one that jumped out at me was Mousse de Chene 30. Really nice creamy/green fragrance. The price is pretty steep though. I believe they release these once a year.
    Mousse de Chene 30 has my attention the most right now. I've yet to order a sample - the reviews have been all over for it.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

Favorite Le Labo is Rose 31. Santal, Vetiver, Bergamote, Benjoin, Labdanum, Patchouli - are all really good ones.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Mousse de Chene 30 has my attention the most right now. I've yet to order a sample - the reviews have been all over for it.
    This is one of the few I have not had a chance to smell. Could you compare any other frags to it that might be similar?

For me, Rose 31, Bergamot 22, Oud 27, and Fleur d'Oranger 27 all work well (and I own all these). I enjoy Vetiver but haven't convinced myself I need it alongside my CDG 2 Man. I also really appreciate Ylang 49 from afar. Some from this line, however, are obnoxiously synthetic and honkingly loud to me, with the biggest offender being Santal 33. That stuff has nuclear potency and a keening chemical quality I really can't stand, especially when someone leaves a trail of it through a room (which is fairly common). The Noir has another persistent woody amber which I find annoying after a little bit (though the fragrance is nice at first), and the new Mousse de Chene turned into a chlorine-pool style chemical fest after maybe 10 minutes. Unrepentantly cheap smelling; couldn't stand it. So, yeah, Le Labo is a mixed bag for me, for sure.
    Currently wearing: New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    the new Mousse de Chene turned into a chlorine-pool style chemical fest after maybe 10 minutes. Unrepentantly cheap smelling; couldn't stand it.
    I also didn't care for Mousse de Chene. Rose 31 falls into the overly-synthetic/harsh smelling category for me, whereas I don't mind Santal 33, yet.

Recently got my nose on Labdanum. Whilst I think it's a pleasant scent, this is nothing more than an opoponax note (sweet, powdery incence). You get this accord in mainstream scents like Tom Ford Noir and just about any Villoresi scent at a significantly lower price point.

I am beginning to think that Poivre and Bergamotte are their best scents, but alas don't own either.

they have some new, limited exclusives for Parisian boutique Colette:

http://www.nstperfume.com/2017/05/30...ew-fragrances/

don't think you can sample these which is a shame, 34 is supposedly really nice.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Colette is closing down in December, so I'm not sure if these will still be available anywhere.

My faves in order are:

B22
    N29
    R31
    S33

However, with the exception of the Noir 29, the other three seem to have been hit with reformulation or just a bad mixing by the person who made the bottle. Probably reforms though since the EL takeover. Rose 31 used to be much heavier and a bit dirty in the opening. It's much lighter, with no cumin and doesn't last as long now. Santal 33 is simpler smelling than it used to be. My sample from 2012 had something almost off putting in the opening, but now it's much easier going. Dries down to a cedary ISO E Super scent.. Bergamot 22 smells the same, but my bottle lasts maybe 6 hours while my decant from 2016 lasted 10-12 hours. The Noir 29 smells like my decant from last year and lasts all day.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

top 3 for me are:

1. Bergamote 22
    2. Rose 31
    3. Santal 33
    Top 10 Seasonal Favorites - Winter:
    Dior Homme Parfum
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    MFK Baccarat Rouge 540 EDP
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Roja Creation E
    Initio Parfums Blessed Baraka
    Initio Parfums Oud for Greatness
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Roja Qatar
    Roja Sweetie Aoud

Worth adding an update: I sprang for a bottle of Vetiver 46, and I love it. I'm quite familiar with CdG 2 Man, and Vetiver 46 is basically 2 Man with the keening, tedious synthetic edge removed, and replaced with a rich, natural-smelling vanilla/amber base and clearer frankincense. It's like the EdP of 2 Man, with higher-quality ingredients, as others have said, and for me it's gorgeous and perfect. I could see others preferring the CdG (I otherwise love so much of that line), so this is just a matter of taste.

I've also gone for a bottle of Thé Noir 29 after sampling once again, this time using only one spray. It's a really likable fragrance, with a great fig+rose effect in the first hours. I just need to handle it with some restraint as the final woody-amber can honk pretty loudly otherwise. Overall it's a good one, though, even with its hip boutique-hotel room-spray vibe. Glad to have it in the collection.
    Currently wearing: New Haarlem by Bond No. 9