Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Feel Oud (Oud, Sandalwood, etc) from Russian Adam of Areej le Dore line

Feel Oud Meroke Noir

A very unique oil from South East Asia. Basically Meroke refers to Aq. Filaria. Consider it as the primal equivalent of Indian Oud. Its DNA is not animalic but earthy, swampy. Almost mushroom powder sort dusty. Now mix with it tons of bonfire smoke and bonafide cocoa bitterness. All these unique traits of meroke oils is supported by an almost fatty bittersweet mineralic soft barniness charateristic of Oud :-). Opening is legendary, base is flatter. But such Meroke oils are usually very pricey and this one of the most affordable ones. So Kudos to Adam. The higher more sophisticared Filarias would include Meroke Muah and Xiao Liang Ling from Ensar. For the bonfire smoke vibe and incense tones Aroha Kyaku and Oudh Dhul Q are challenging buy exceptionally intense and spiritual creations. Cheers
    Currently wearing: Musk Aoud by Roja Dove

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Feel Oud (Oud, Sandalwood, etc) from Russian Adam of Areej le Dore line

Quote Originally Posted by exoticscents View Post
    Thank you so much. I would love to contribute if you all feel the need of it. Cheers.
    Certainly yes Nihkil
    I have my eye on this one ;
    Attachment 73172
    Borai Choco Extreme .
    http://www.feel-oud.com/product/borai-extreme/

My question is to you,
    if I own Oud Picante and Oud Zen, would Boria be needed ?
    I was think about layering the two.
    A tiny smear of Choco and a light spritz of their of the other two.
    Do you think this would be overkill on my part ?
    Anyways, thanks and have a great week ahead.

Thanks bud.

Choco is a very unique sort of Oud. Oud Picante is not really not Oudcentric in true sense because other notes also chime in. Oud on its own has so many finer nuances it makes for a really interesting material for study. Choco as the name suggest is a strange milk chocolate aroma added over a soft Indian barn even though its Cambodian Wood if my memory serves me right. The perfume shifts from chocolate barn slowly to typical plantation fruity sweetness and lasts for a very long time. Magical wafts will hit you now and then. Its a stereotypical high quality modern artisanal oud with added top note of chocolate. I really love it because at the price that its available at the complexity and tenacity are applaudable. I seriously suggest you start with samples. Try layering it with Oud Picante. I layer Indian Oud with stuff like Tobacco Vanille and many other scents. Its really amazing tbh. Take your time with Ouds my friend. They change a lot and depending on your wood and external environment they can show many new personalities within a single profile.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks bud.

Choco is a very unique sort of Oud. Oud Picante is not really not Oudcentric in true sense because other notes also chime in. Oud on its own has so many finer nuances it makes for a really interesting material for study. Choco as the name suggest is a strange milk chocolate aroma added over a soft Indian barn even though its Cambodian Wood if my memory serves me right. The perfume shifts from chocolate barn slowly to typical plantation fruity sweetness and lasts for a very long time. Magical wafts will hit you now and then. Its a stereotypical high quality modern artisanal oud with added top note of chocolate. I really love it because at the price that its available at the complexity and tenacity are applaudable. I seriously suggest you start with samples. Try layering it with Oud Picante. I layer Indian Oud with stuff like Tobacco Vanille and many other scents. Its really amazing tbh. Take your time with Ouds my friend. They change a lot and depending on your wood and external environment they can show many new personalities within a single profile.
    Alright .I will start out with more sampling .
    The whole layering with TV sounds like a great place to start.
    Thank you always for your insightful replies.
    Your fragrance friend ,
    Eddie.

Cheers frag bro. U need any help or pointers you can knock on my door anytime of the day. Best of luck.

I've never smelled a pure oud oil before, and I'd like to dip my toe in with FeelOud - but the prices are eye opening on a per-gram basis. I know its a ton of labor and rare materials, but this is expensive stuff.

If I'm not mistaken, Ta-Bu Mi-Tang is the least expensive listed, under "wild oud oils". Would that be a good starting point? The listed scent profile ("soothing, honey like, resinous, woody, highly addictive") certainly sounds alluring. Russian Adam's notes focus heavily on the honey aspect. In light of that, would it be a good starting point?

Bio Hirta
    also sounds interesting as a "fresh" (in oud terms) counterpoint to the typical oud profile. Velvet Kyen just sounds delicious - smoky sweet tobacco plum oud? Yes, please.

My wallet is shaking in its boots. And these are "value" ouds!

P.S., I have a decant of Oud Zen, which, per earlier in this thread, involves Hindu Oud, a la Hindi Asli, correct? I've only given it one wear so far, and my impressions are not fully formed.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 23rd October 2017 at 07:53 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I've never smelled a pure oud oil before, and I'd like to dip my toe in with FeelOud - but the prices are eye opening on a per-gram basis. I know its a ton of labor and rare materials, but this is expensive stuff.

If I'm not mistaken, Ta-Bu Mi-Tang is the least expensive listed, under "wild oud oils". Would that be a good starting point? The listed scent profile ("soothing, honey like, resinous, woody, highly addictive") certainly sounds alluring. Russian Adam's notes focus heavily on the honey aspect. In light of that, would it be a good starting point?

Bio Hirta
    also sounds interesting as a "fresh" (in oud terms) counterpoint to the typical oud profile. Velvet Kyen just sounds delicious - smoky sweet tobacco plum oud? Yes, please.

P.S., I have a decant of Oud Zen, which, per earlier in this thread, involves Hindu Oud, a la Hindi Asli, correct? I've only given it one wear so far, and my impressions are not fully formed.
    The price per ML are indeed eye opening but remember that a tiny bit goes a long way. I am nowhere near depleting any of my 1/4tola bottles.

Of the 3 you have mentioned, I have tried and own only Bio Hirta which is quite clear and upliftingl. I enjoy it more with each wearing. I get the most delightful wisps of incense as it dries down through the day. Much different from the deeper Hindi, Loatian, etc. Keep in mind, as it has been mentioned, the character of ouds will differ significantly based on region and distillation methods.

I began with Thai oils as I found their general profiles to be much more agreeable to my novice nose. Bright fruits, Floral, honeyed, and usually easy to wear. I then moved to Malaysian, Indonesian, and Hindi oils. My favorites are the Borneo oils. Start where you feel most comfortable. It's on the expensive side but definitely rewarding.
    Currently wearing: Genre by Edward Bess

Quote Originally Posted by LostboyR View Post
    The price per ML are indeed eye opening but remember that a tiny bit goes a long way. I am nowhere near depleting any of my 1/4tola bottles.

Of the 3 you have mentioned, I have tried and own only Bio Hirta which is quite clear and upliftingl. I enjoy it more with each wearing. I get the most delightful wisps of incense as it dries down through the day. Much different from the deeper Hindi, Loatian, etc. Keep in mind, as it has been mentioned, the character of ouds will differ significantly based on region and distillation methods.

I began with Thai oils as I found their general profiles to be much more agreeable to my novice nose. Bright fruits, Floral, honeyed, and usually easy to wear. I then moved to Malaysian, Indonesian, and Hindi oils. My favorites are the Borneo oils. Start where you feel most comfortable. It's on the expensive side but definitely rewarding.
    Pretty much like my story :-) You start with simple sweet floral fruity oils like Thai and some Cambodis. Then the foresty green ones from Papua, Sri Lanka. Then sweet incensy ones from Sumatra, Vietnam, Borneo. Finally going more spiritually fulfilling ones from Burma, China and then the Indian Oud. Cheers. Borneo Oils are superb.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post

Bio Hirta

Pure oils or generally speaking all high grade naturals like Indian Rose, Saffron, Jasmine, Sandalwood are quite costly per unit. But eventually just like with perfumes you end up accumulating a large collection out of curiosity for different Oud signatures and regional profiles. I layer only pure oils to create my own perfume and on rare occasions use perfumes. Some predesigned Eastern Blends/Mukhallats are very narcotic too like Sultan Pasha Attars, UK. But these perfumes are more luxury items very expensive. Anyway you need tiny swipes for a nice perfume bubble around you. Attars and Ouds are all about a personal sort of effect. Sampling is available everywhere. Even a tiny amount of 0.3ml is enough to last for months. So I urge you to take your own time with oils samples. Cheers

Basenotes Institution

I agree about ouds definitely lasting for a long time, even if it's a small amount. The only large size of ouds / attars I've owned are the two from Amouage (Tribute and Homage) and the oud solid that Aftelier made years ago (Oud Luban). With the Amouage's I didn't even buy a full bottle, I particpated in a bottle split and so I got a 1/3 of a bottle in a generic glass roll on tube. I bought those probably 4-5 years ago and I still have a lot of liquid left and my BF wears it a lot also...so it really lasts. With these Amouage's you only need a tiny amount. With the Aftelier solid you have to swipe it out of the metal box with your finger - so it requires a deft application but I would say I have about 1/2 the solid still intact. And I bought that also like 3-4 years ago.

My latest acquisition, the Phoenix al Cambdi Attar by Rising Phoenix Perfumery is a full 3 grams - but I imagine this lasting me for quite some time also.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    My latest acquisition, the Phoenix al Cambdi Attar by Rising Phoenix Perfumery is a full 3 grams - but I imagine this lasting me for quite some time also.
    You have piqued my interest in this one, Sir. How do you find it?

Basenotes Institution

You have piqued my interest in this one, Sir. How do you find it?
    My review is here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/442...=1#post4212468
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thanks, Mike! I completely missed your review.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks, Mike! I completely missed your review.
    Sure, you're welcome.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Joseph (Rising Phoenix) has some really high quality attars and Ouds. The ones which are really stellar in my exp are Musk Rose and Musk al Malouk. Fabulous stuff. His Thai Leather, Thai ko Pa are also nice.

Basenotes Plus

Joseph (Rising Phoenix) has some really high quality attars and Ouds. The ones which are really stellar in my exp are Musk Rose and Musk al Malouk. Fabulous stuff. His Thai Leather, Thai ko Pa are also nice.
    Musk Rose is wonderful Nikhil.
    Thanks for that one.

Basenotes Institution

Has anyone had more experience with both of the Feel Oud sandalwoods: Bengal Sandal Aira ($45 / 2.5 gr) and Sandal 100K Finale ($120 / 2.5 gr)?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Cheers my friend. It is a superb blend. Try layering pure rose absolute with a barny Indian Oud once. They work extremely well together.

Has anyone had more experience with both of the Feel Oud sandalwoods: Bengal Sandal Aira ($45 / 2.5 gr) and Sandal 100K Finale ($120 / 2.5 gr)?
    100k is a very good delicate Sandal. No creamy curdy sour dairy notes at the top like Mysore Sandal. Its spicier and mildly creamy. Sillage is soft. Longevity is great. For a 100year old tree definitely priced very well. I really liked it but I am a fan of Mysore Sandal s complexity. But so difficult to get good stuff these days.

Basenotes Institution

100k is a very good delicate Sandal. No creamy curdy sour dairy notes at the top like Mysore Sandal. Its spicier and mildly creamy. Sillage is soft. Longevity is great. For a 100year old tree definitely priced very well. I really liked it but I am a fan of Mysore Sandal s complexity. But so difficult to get good stuff these days.
    This is what I thought. I've heard a few people talk about the Sandal 100K Finale, and most of them mention it's quiet / non-complex character. I think I might pass on sampling this one.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I received samples of Velvet Kyen and Sandal 100K with my order yesterday. Velvet Kyen is beautiful and I can see why people say that this is a starter Oud. Not much funk; smoke, Incense, plum and Oud combined to make a gorgeous fragrance. I have no experience with sandalwood oil but also received Ensar Oud Santal Sultan the same day. While I will agree that Sandal 100K is not as complex I did not find it quiet on the small sampling I have done. It is a pretty girl next door compared to the blonde bombshell of SS.

And off to the land of oud we go! Mike, I left a link up to this thread in GFD for the next 24 hrs.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    And off to the land of oud we go! Mike, I left a link up to this thread in GFD for the next 24 hrs.
    Thank you PL, I thought it belonged here more

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE: Those receiving the Feel Oud samples please post your impressions on this thread!

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

Has anyone received their Feel Oud samples in the mail?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Always be smelling

SANDALWOOD:

Indian Mysore Alba - Extremely buttery with Curd like sourness at the top. Base is spicy woody and colossal. Extreme longevity is a trademark with soft projection. There's nothing like it in the whole wide world. Very rare to get. (Cauvery Emporium India, Agarwood Assam, Ensar Oud). Red Sandal is rare variety and its not available to everyone. Cauvery Emporium is the only official distributor of Govt. owned KSDL venture which handles factories at Mysore and Kuppam. Sandalwood is an endangered species. Cultivation farms/Plantations are coming up everywhere trying their best to match up to classical Sandal/Chandan smell but its far from reality.
    Thanks Nikhil. This is very useful
    A quick question. Is Cauvery Emporium still reliable? There was a, well, scandal a few years ago. Not sure how things are now. They went OOS for a while and came back with double the price.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Basenotes Plus

Has anyone received their Feel Oud samples in the mail?
    I got mine today, and I know Pelle got his yesterday because we chatted about it.

This is a whole new world to me, and I'm kinda nervous. I think I won't start sniffing til tomorrow.... I don't want to take a chance on applying some tonight and falling asleep. Wouldn't want to waste even a drop!

Anybody want to suggest what we should start with?

Basenotes Institution

How exciting cook.bot

I would start with the fragrances (the Areej le Dore ones). Then the ouds.

When it comes to the ouds / sandalwood you really only have to apply a pin drop, at the beginning, to get a good idea of the smell. You're always going to be able to apply more - but many people over apply at the beginning and either totally fatigue their nose in a few seconds or they get overwhelmed with the sheer power and complexity (or stinkyness) of an oud and 'hate' it.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Well, they are the only official partners for the sale of sandal oils for consumers. I am planning a short documentary from the actual Sandalwood factories. Also on rose harvest near Kannauj in April 2018. I will address all the issues in the video. What ? Where ? Who ? etc :-) I recently got some lovely thick sandalwood oil from Kannauj from a respectable vendor called Ali Brothers Perfumers. The smell of it is divine. Thick curdy top notes turning into glorious Sandal with a very delayed shift. I use it as base for my private blends. I am making my own attars with 100pc natural materials these days lol. Only problem is pure oils are pretty expensive.

Basenotes Plus

Well, they are the only official partners for the sale of sandal oils for consumers. I am planning a short documentary from the actual Sandalwood factories. Also on rose harvest near Kannauj in April 2018. I will address all the issues in the video. What ? Where ? Who ? etc :-) I recently got some lovely thick sandalwood oil from Kannauj from a respectable vendor called Ali Brothers Perfumers. The smell of it is divine. Thick curdy top notes turning into glorious Sandal with a very delayed shift. I use it as base for my private blends. I am making my own attars with 100pc natural materials these days lol. Only problem is pure oils are pretty expensive.
    Can't wait for the documentary Nikhil.
    Thank you.

Basenotes Plus

How exciting cook.bot

I would start with the fragrances (the Areej le Dore ones). Then the ouds.
    Good advice, Mike. I think I'll start today with the Flux de Fleur and Inverno Russo. Back later!