Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Feel Oud (Oud, Sandalwood, etc) from Russian Adam of Areej le Dore line

Quote Originally Posted by exoticscents View Post
    ...I recently got some lovely thick sandalwood oil from Kannauj from a respectable vendor called Ali Brothers Perfumers. The smell of it is divine. Thick curdy top notes turning into glorious Sandal with a very delayed shift. I use it as base for my private blends...

The SW sounds lovely. It's new stuff, or aged?
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Feel Oud (Oud, Sandalwood, etc) from Russian Adam of Areej le Dore line

Well it is thick and very high on santalol content. Aged oils are ultrare esp ones from the govt factory. Its the best oil that I have sampled anywhere.
    Currently wearing: Musk Aoud by Roja Dove

Basenotes Plus

I spent a somewhat baffling 10 hours with Flux de Fleurs yesterday. It's new geography for my nose. I think before I publish my reactions here, I'll spend today with Inverno Russo and see if I can get some context for these scent types that are quite new to me.

I received a sample pack from Russian Adam which has 7 or 8 smaples, thanks again! have't tried them all, but the 100K has truly blown me away!
    I was underwhelmed at first by the fresh airy ceder smell, and a part of my brain kept saying I know this smell, I have smelled this particular opening somewhere before, and I reckoned it was ceder for at least he first 30~45 mins, though a herbaceous green patchouli+eucalyptus feeling grew stronger meantime. I then realized it was Tam Dao EDP, the exact opening of TAM DAO! And I always thought it was just cedar, nothing but pale/green cedar! How wrong and smug I was to therefore downgrade Tam Dao because the 'cedar' misunderstanding!
    100K then roars like a furious lion! All the facets of mysore sandalwood that I read before all showed up with depth and amazing complexity. Mysore sandalwood is now making sense to me with all that craze. The green herbaceous feeling turned into amber gold creamy wood heart with a subtle smoky incensy hint and some on and off whiff of sensual warmth, but it never became resinous nor sweet. Very long lasting for sure even just a gentle dab on my hand. The almost 20 hours drydown still left me a slight trace of general sandalwood creaminess.
    This is absolutely a fantastic experience of understanding genuine sandalwood at its best, thanks Russian Adam!
    I need to pull out my poraso wood & spice, red shaving cream, Tumulte Pour Homme, carven homme and of course, Tam Dao, to cross check and upgrade my knowledge of sandalwood!
    Currently wearing: Resina by Oliver & Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorjeee View Post
    I received a sample pack from Russian Adam which has 7 or 8 smaples, thanks again! have't tried them all, but the 100K has truly blown me away!
    I was underwhelmed at first by the fresh airy ceder smell, and a part of my brain kept saying I know this smell, I have smelled this particular opening somewhere before, and I reckoned it was ceder for at least he first 30~45 mins, though a herbaceous green patchouli+eucalyptus feeling grew stronger meantime. I then realized it was Tam Dao EDP, the exact opening of TAM DAO! And I always thought it was just cedar, nothing but pale/green cedar! How wrong and smug I was to therefore downgrade Tam Dao because the 'cedar' misunderstanding!
    100K then roars like a furious lion! All the facets of mysore sandalwood that I read before all showed up with depth and amazing complexity. Mysore sandalwood is now making sense to me with all that craze. The green herbaceous feeling turned into amber gold creamy wood heart with a subtle smoky incensy hint and some on and off whiff of sensual warmth, but it never became resinous nor sweet. Very long lasting for sure even just a gentle dab on my hand. The almost 20 hours drydown still left me a slight trace of general sandalwood creaminess.
    This is absolutely a fantastic experience of understanding genuine sandalwood at its best, thanks Russian Adam!
    I need to pull out my poraso wood & spice, red shaving cream, Tumulte Pour Homme, carven homme and of course, Tam Dao, to cross check and upgrade my knowledge of sandalwood!
    I love TamDao too. The edp. Its Australian Sandal. Very nicely described as herbaceous and cedar like by you. Thats the characteristic.tone of Australian Sandal. Those top notes would be very thick curdy sour in Mysore Sandalwood. Yet 100k somehow manages to capture the best parts of Sandalwood oils. Truly a very nice to have :-). Cheers.
    Last edited by exoticscents; 5th November 2017 at 07:45 PM.

Loving the Bengal Aria in this blend I'm constructing. It gives off this sort of uplifting sandalwood vibe and lends this sort of amber and woody warmth.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Loving the Bengal Aria in this blend I'm constructing. It gives off this sort of uplifting sandalwood vibe and lends this sort of amber and woody warmth.
    That's great to hear Ryan, I know you love your sandalwood just like I do.

I didn't get a sample of this, but I am looking forward to smelling the Sandal 100K (which is TWICE the price!)

- - - Updated - - -

I wore the tiniest amount of Velvet Kyen on my left hand last night. Not a full wearing just a drop. Still, this is a massive smoky/woody oud. Super green. Some mild fruit notes here and there. No skanky or animal notes.

I was reminded of Black Afgano by Nasomatto.

I am not sure I like it though. I need to retest this.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

There is a 2.5g of Feel Ood's Velvet Kyen almost full ,
    listed here on Basenote's Items for Sale on Nov 7th if anyone's interested.
    It's selling for $85

Here's the link; http://www.basenotes.net/threads/445...rait-Nasomatto

There's photos of it along with Hainss's other items listed.
    I hope you don't mind me mentioning it .
    I don't receive anything for doing so.
    Wrong link.sorry everyone .
    Last edited by JBS1; 11th November 2017 at 10:36 AM. Reason: wrong link Soory.

Basenotes Institution

I feel super honored to have in my Feel Oud sample pack a tiny sample of Maroke Noir oud oil.

I'll copy the description from his website:

Maroke oud oil always has a place in the hearts of Oud lovers. Dark, deep, soothing and oudy in its own unique way. However, it is a big headache for a distiller. High cost of the raw material and extremely low yield making it… special.

Finding a pure, nicely done, wild Maroke oud oil is… tricky. Finding Maroke with super dark, rezinous, smooth scent profile… nearly impossible. All that below 200$ for a 2.5g bottle? Forget about it!

However, for God Almighty there is nothing impossible and we thank only Him for allowing us to come across a gem we called Maroke Noir.

During my last trip to Indonesia I got to experience this oil. It seemed simply too good to be true. For that reason we can offer a lab purity test of this oil upon request. It is 100% pure, super dark, rezinous, smooth wild Maroke agarwood oil.

Think of a deep and black night in the jungle. It is warm and compfortable yet mysterious aura is all around you. No wet earth. Only super dry oudiness. Take the best out of the finest patchouli extract aged for severel decades, add to that cardamom rezinoid, spikenard essential oil, a touch of the finest labdanum absolute and place it all a top of “50 years aged” dark Hindi that has not even a tiny dot of barnyard and you will get an idea what is Maroke Noir ��

So far we have only offered 3 Maroke oud oils. Our first Maroke from sinking agarwood called Ma-Maroke was sold at 1 000 $ per 1 ml. Second called Marokesh at 400$ 1ml. Maroke Noir is 190$ per 2.5g bottle.

Can you see the point here?

Grab it now, age it few years if you want and it will command double if not triple in value.

We thank God Almighty and are truly happy with this discovery. Now we wish to share it with you. Enjoy.
    I put only a tiny swipe on my left hand. So I will give this a proper review when I wear this fully. For now I smell this:

- Sharp wood resins, with a terpenic texture and sharpness. Mineral spirits-ish.
    - I get no 'dirt' smell. Neither do I get any skank, barn, etc. It's very non-animalic
    - Yet it definitely has that band-aid sort of oud note in it, that let's you know that you're smelling agarwood
    - The smoke in the top notes fades fast, on my skin. When I first smelled it it was very smoky, but now it's much more wearable.
    - There is something like petroleum jelly (Vaseline) smelling
    - Something in this (and in Velvet Kyen) reminds my BF of how it smells when we cook Indian food in the apartment - sort of the collected smells of cooking oil, curry, spices and human sweat. He doesn't mean this in a good way...he disliked this and Velvet Kyen instantly, whereas he's loved a lot of ouds and attars I've introduced him to

The color is just like it is in the Feel Oud website - super dark, almost black,
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 11th November 2017 at 02:56 AM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Just got my sample pack - it was delivered over a week ago but I've been away.

Is this thread only for the oils or for both oils and perfumes(alcohol-based) in sample pack?

My pack contains:

Inverno Russo
    Oud Picante
    Flux de Fleur
    Atlantic Ambergris

Hindi Asli
    Velvet Kyem (Thai)
    Maroke Noir (Indonesia)
    100k (Sandalwood I presume!)

I've put a swipe of Maroke Noir on hand and in crease of elbow (top tip from a BN person!), and am excitedly awaiting developments!

It went on sharp and woody and somewhat yeasty (a touch of salty yeastiness - a bit like Marmite in a way - I love Marmite!).

On a train and sure fellow passengers are a little bemused by my alternate sniffings of finger, hand, elbow...
    Currently wearing: La Colonia by Oliver & Co.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenas View Post
    Just got my sample pack - it was delivered over a week ago but I've been away.

Is this thread only for the oils or for both oils and perfumes(alcohol-based) in sample pack?

My pack contains:

Inverno Russo
    Oud Picante
    Flux de Fleur
    Atlantic Ambergris

Hindi Asli
    Velvet Kyem (Thai)
    Maroke Noir (Indonesia)
    100k (Sandalwood I presume!)

I've put a swipe of Maroke Noir on hand and in crease of elbow (top tip from a BN person!), and am excitedly awaiting developments!

It went on sharp and woody and somewhat yeasty (a touch of salty yeastiness - a bit like Marmite in a way - I love Marmite!).

On a train and sure fellow passengers are a little bemused by my alternate sniffings of finger, hand, elbow...
    I am just posting my oil reviews here & the ALD reviews on that thread.

Marmite! Great description.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Maroke Noir

It's now a lovely fruity spicy tobaccoey woody scent - warm and dry, with a tiny hint of that olive oil like green I get from a lot of these oils (Rising Phoenix and this one also). The yeasty saltiness has gone and it's just smooth sweet but dry (not at all cloying I mean) with a teeny bit of bandaid still there.

It definitely develops best in the fold of my elbow - probably because of warmth - but I'm such a phsyical wreck that I can't reach elbow so well (I seem to have bruised or cracked a rib or two on my travels). I might try on chest next and try to restrain myself from the 'pull jumper up to hairline and breathe in the perfume' manoeuvre in public! I have Irish dry skin that seems to drink perfume - a dab on my hand or wrist disappears quickly, so I need to apply somewhere warm but accessible without scaring the horses!

Basenotes Institution

Oh it sounds way better on your skin Ebenas, than on mine. The smoky, ashy intensity sort of annoyed me and I held my wrist away from my nose for most of the night last night - hoping that it would fade and transform into something I would like more. It didn't.

Of course I'll retry. Maybe next time when it's chilly here in Miami (which is rare) and see how that feels.

SO GLAD that I didn't swipe this one on my beard hair, where I've sampled some ouds and attars. It would have drove me crackers.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

Where are all of the reviews from people who bought the Feel Oud sample pack!?

-- Eckhart Tolle

I tried Hindi Asli last night its a nice old school feel Hindi with a little barn,chocolate,tobacco at the top,dark fruits in the mid and a lot of funk in the drydown.I tried the 4 EDPs and really like Atlantic Amberris and Oud Picante but they are complex and going to take a few wears for me to give a proper review

Basenotes Institution

riveradeuce I also took a tiny swipe of Hindi Asli several days ago - it behaved much nicer than I expected it to considering most of the Hindi (or Indian) ouds are just so animalic and smell like sh*t. This one reigns it in a bit. I haven't given it a proper wear, but I will since I'm on my vacation for a week (staying in town) and I can stink to high heaven and noone will care.

The Areej le Dore fragrances, I must admit, have been winning over the ouds. I wasn't really *blown away* by any of these 3 ouds like I was from the ones I've smelled prior to this. But also, I still haven't sampled the Mysore Sandalwood...so I still have some sampling to do.

I think that it's super admirable that Russian Adam is carrying the torch for oud production that is fair, transparent, legitimate and easily accessible. I just wish I loved more of what I am smelling. Perhaps the only ones I'd really love are the ones that are completely out of my price range! lol

- - - Updated - - -

I'm finally sampling Sandal 100K today. I like it much better than I expected to...yes it's subtle but also VERY present. I find that aspect very admirable.

I look forward to seeing how this develops over the day...

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

I'm finally sampling Sandal 100K today. I like it much better than I expected to...yes it's subtle but also VERY present. I find that aspect very admirable.

I look forward to seeing how this develops over the day...
    So am I (I wonder why?)

I don't know that I'm a pure sandalwood person, but this is good - it's feels quite bright and like fresh wood in a way - I'll see how it goes later on...

Later, I like it - I find that sandalwood oil smells for want of a better word - woody - like crumbs of freshly sawn wood. I think I need more experience with these oils as I usually meet sandalwood in a blend with amber or something. I'm always surprised at how many 'notes' there are in these oils and how they develop.
    Last edited by Ebenas; 24th November 2017 at 09:47 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenas View Post
    So am I (I wonder why?)

I don't know that I'm a pure sandalwood person, but this is good - it's feels quite bright and like fresh wood in a way - I'll see how it goes later on...
    I thoroughly enjoyed it. I also got 2 compliments on it from my BF. It's different enough from my existing vintage (2000) to own both. I will have to make up my mind about this soon...I don't think this stuff will last long. As it is I own my vintage, my Aqua Oleum that I diluted in Everclear, plus by Rising Phoenix Sultani Sandali and my recently bought Imperial Oud Mysore Sandalwood (not here yet). I am officially a hoarder.

I did notice, on the Feel Oud website last night, that Velvet Kyen seems to be out of stock...

- - - Updated - - -

Wearing Maroke Noir oud oil again tonight. I larger application this time, several swipes all over me.

It's still very much an intense oud experience, this one. The smoke...it's piercing. Not choking but...strong. Serious. It has a solid texture, when worn that manages to create a smell of burning oud wood - not just wood. Because it's so solid, there is a mis-interpretation that there's a synthetic note in this - when I know very well that there is not. It's just that, these types of solid smoky notes usually infer something industrial...something manufactured that is burning (or has burnt)...something recently extinguished.

Most of my personal joy and pleasure in oud oils comes from how calming and meditative the oils make me feel when I wear them. However, because I struggle a bit with the smoke in this, I find that it's less calming and relaxing. I sort of 'tense up' from an olfactory perspective.

Nonetheless, I find the smell fascinating: I've never smelled a fragrance or an oud like this. Just being introduced to it makes me grateful and satisfied. Sort of like tasting a vintage wine that's been stored in someones wine cellar for a hundred years, uncorked just for you. And while you taste the wine you sort of have no frame of reference for this bouquet, this taste...but you're also not quite sure if you like it.

It is still fairly warm in Miami today, so perhaps I should (as I mentioned earlier) put this one and the Velvet Kyen away and re-test them when the weather is truly cooler.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

It's been cold here so I've been wearing a lot of my ouds including today a re-wearing of Maroke Noir aka The Intensely Smoky one. There is something in this that reminds me of shoe polish (Tom Ford Extreme used to, but this one is even more realistic of the smell). I get very little fruit notes...if any. Much more so leather...leather goods...hard carved wooden objects...those types of accords. Most of the descriptions Feel Oud uses to describe the oil are notes that I just don't smell or perhaps I have never smelled them so I don't have any olfactory association. There is a bit of that 'dirt' smell that aged patchouli oil has, but this oil does not smell like patchouli. It's hard to describe that 'patchouli element' that I'm attempting to describe.

Anyone else test Maroke Noir and have any other comments/feedback?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Great description Mike. Maroke Oils (Basically Aquilaria Filaria) are quite polarising scents. End of the Oud spectrum until something newer is discovered. They have a dusty, earthy quality about them. They are least perfumey (Compare Thai/Cambodi Ouds). Noir has a very old feel, dusty library books, wet cave, moist forest bed. A few ferns, tingling smoke. Hints of bitter cocoa and a sharp bittersweet incense. What users appreciate in it is its strange ability to uplift the mood and induce a feeling if well being. Its a strange inexplicable feeling you will get suddenly one day. Until its not spoken to you, you will find it slightly challenging to understand its beauty. This is the favorite genre of seasoned Oud lovers who are not Hindi Oud oriented. At least thats what I have seen. Noir is the most affordable form of Filaria/Maroke. It only gives u a trailer not the whole picture. I have only felt that meroke effect a couple of times. It was special. The best way to enjoy these oils is to dab the oil below your chin both sides and not wear any other scent. Then the spectrum opens up like Malaysian Oils. The oils should not be swiped ideally. Just let it dry on your skin, you will be amazed to experience the shifts in the scent spectrum. Malay Incens by House of Misk, one of the most affordable wild ouds on earth shows its brilliance under the chin. Otherwise its just an average thing. All the best Mike.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks exoticscents. I would never have thought of wearing an oil this challenging on my beard (I have worn oud on my beard as well as Mysore sandalwood oil, but only those I really like a lot). Just the thought of wearing a scent that I (perhaps) I don't like and having it so close to my nose..it would drive me crackers! lol. But, sure WTH I'll try it out with the Maroke Noir and yes I agree with you that this oil is surprisingly affordable compared to other Indonesian ouds.

Are you saying that Malay Incens by House of Misk is also an Indonesian oud (Maroke)? I thought that oil was from Malaysia.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 16th December 2017 at 06:12 PM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

I have worn Maroke Noir several times, a tiny swipe on each side of my beard and I am happy to report that it has finally *clicked* with me. Now, I understand the fragrance so much more than the previous wearings. I usually go to a 6:00 am or 7:00 am Cross Fit class weekdays and it takes a while (and a lot of caffeine) to wake up enough to endure a high intensity workout the first thing in the morning. I have put some Maroke Noir on, before my Cross Fit, and I must admit it gives me a nice olfactory *focus* that is discreet enough where I am the only one smelling it, but it's also strong, potent and serious. I am fascinated by this now & I feel very grateful that I took the time and patience to get to know this scent and that I read exoticscents recommendation about Maroke oils. Hats off to you exoticscents!

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I have worn Maroke Noir several times, a tiny swipe on each side of my beard and I am happy to report that it has finally *clicked* with me. Now, I understand the fragrance so much more than the previous wearings. I usually go to a 6:00 am or 7:00 am Cross Fit class weekdays and it takes a while (and a lot of caffeine) to wake up enough to endure a high intensity workout the first thing in the morning. I have put some Maroke Noir on, before my Cross Fit, and I must admit it gives me a nice olfactory *focus* that is discreet enough where I am the only one smelling it, but it's also strong, potent and serious. I am fascinated by this now & I feel very grateful that I took the time and patience to get to know this scent and that I read exoticscents recommendation about Maroke oils. Hats off to you exoticscents!
    Hello my good friend ! I am really sorry to not have replied earlier. Recovering from a right thumb fracture lol. I will be active soon. I am so glad you took your time with. Merokes or Aquilaria Filaria oils work great outdoors. It needs to breathe a bit. You are hit by a sudden wave of something amazing. That "focus" thing....you nailed it. The Malay Incense is Malaysian Oud. It's Aq. Malacensis if I remember correctly. It shares that damp, dusty, forest floor vibes of Merokes. But it's incense, musky and minty ending in a beautiful sweet oudy resinous tone. At first it may not appeal you much but it needs time like most complex Oud oils. I suggest you just put two gentle swipes under your chin. Don't smudge. It needs the thickness to change. And it needs air. House of misk totally nailed it at that price. Because Wild Malay wood oil is a treasured one and is rather costly. Grab it asap. It gives you the raw incense feel like that of the extremely popular Tigerwood 95 by Ensar :-). MI lacks the menthol vapour of T95 but gives a solid Malay punch. Superb value for money. Even their pure Rose Oils are phenomenal. HOM has been a revelation for 2017.

Sotd is Aoud Spirit of UAE by Roja Dove. Yeah.... must be Oud for the price.....lol. Same synthetic Oud base from Guerlain SDUBD and so many other overpriced niche garbage Oud.

Have a good day brother.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I wasn't going to wear anything today, but I found a sample that Feel Oud generously provided for free a couple of years ago. I don't think it is available any more, but it looks like the blurb was

Soaked, wild, old Malacensis from South Thailand against younger, unsoaked bio Crissana from Trat. I thought this is going to be the greatest, craziest and bloodiest fight ever… . Instead we got one of the most harmonious fusions, an expression of love and ecstasy that transcends all borders and defies any names.Was it just another oud oil co-distillation, you may ask? Well, very far from it! We tried hard to follow our custom of introducing unique technics into this distillation, as we do with every single distillation we design. Of course we also implemented necessary tricks from successful past projects.
    I would call this a triple hybrid distillation : in addition to using our hybrid still we blended raw materials, water and combined 2 different condensers.
    Let’s slowly break everything down in order to cover every single detail of the process, as I believe each detail has its significant value….
    We used 6,5kg of Wild Malaccensis from highly matured trees. It was soaked in a blend of purified drinking and fresh rain water for about two weeks, inside a traditional Thai ceramic pot.
    To the Wild Malaccensis we added 30kg of 20 year old Trat agarwood. 3 years ago those trees were drilled and naturally infected. This resulted in amazingly high quality agarwood, in comparison to younger trees where injection is used and the wood is harvested in 6 to 12 months.
    To my knowledge this is the first ever agarwood distillation in which two condensers wre used on one pot during a single distillation in the hopes of capturing a complex, complete and wild scent profile. In this, we were successful.
    For the first 2.5 days of cooking our usual crazy, upwards, surf condense was used. This condenser is perfect for capturing airy, floral and incense notes. It has two collectors for the oil. The smaller one collects the top notes and the bigger one traps mid and basenotes. We use this type of condenser for all of our incense grade oils because it transports the actual scent of the raw material very well, while enhancing the diffusive topnotes with an aquamarine, super fresh, light and airy character. However, when I wear this type of oils some part of me wanted a more solid, heavier base note kick, the kick that can only be achieved using another type of condenser. For that reason I decided to stop the cooking half way through and change to our improved, long neck pyrex monster. The specialty of this condenser is to capture super solid and intense base notes and to make the oil project like a southern light. What a beauty!
    Additionally we blended freshly collected rain water with local purified drinking water. Each type of water brings unique notes to the scent profile. Purified, soft drinking water adds light, soft and airy beauty to the top notes and fresh rain water acts as a stimulant and booster for the solid base.
    What was the result? We got top notes that are as pleasing and delicate as the first vapor released by gently heated, fine agarwood chips. Is its scent profile similar to heated chips? Absolutely not! Far from it. The opening scent of melted, creamy brown cane sugar reminds me of the craziest, incense grade Papua oud oils, minus the earthiness, mintyness, green petroleum, rain and jungle. Leave only its sweetness. The middle notes are fruity and floral, a yellow and orange richness that is often present in classical wild Cambodian oud oil. The base notes may simply leave you speechless, coming extremely close to the scent of Kalimantan agarwood with its smooth woody blast.
    It is interesting to note that despite the two week soaking period, the scent profile is totally lacking any barnyard aspect. It perfectly represent the scent of actual agarwood as a whole, without falling under specific regional category.
    Therefore, it can be said that this was a very successful co-distillation experiment in which woods from opposite ends of the spectrum give birth to a child that embodies a universal beauty. Thank God Almighty.
    I have only just put it on, but I find it rather airy and expansive. Very clean, yet somehow reminiscent of clean skin. No at all animalic. I was trying to identify the vaguely sweet dry fruit notes (dates? prunes?), which must be the description of creamy brown sugar. It lacks the leather sticking plaster notes that I got in my other Feel Oud samples and one so often see approximated in synthetic oud oils.

I find this very uplifting. Probably the most enjoyable oud that I've sampled (I've sampled very few). Looking forward to how this is going to develop.

Edit - it has passed through the fruity, slightly floral mids and now feels (somehow it's a texture rather than a smell) like an immaculately polished wood. Not sure it's something I want to smell like often, but I can't keep my nose off it. Fascinating.
    Last edited by Darjeeling; 12th March 2018 at 03:06 AM.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Basenotes Institution

Bumping this thread to say that I still have my few drops of Hindi Asli oil and decided to swipe some on tonight. It's quite warm here in Miami (we have the air conditioner on in my apartment) but this oil plays nicely in warm humid air. I don't get the plum notes everyone mentions but I do get a whiff of leather (like a saddle) and the chocolate and of course the barn.

This oil is long discontinued but it's fun to play around with.

-- Eckhart Tolle

So I got some samples and I’ve been playing with:
    Virgin Sumatran Island
    Oud Sub Lime
    Maroky Incense

One question: with oud oils, when you swipe, do you rub in as an oil or let it sit where it was swiped? Also, so far VSI is easily my fav of the three. Wish I had more than .2g!!!

Do the 1g come in nice bottles or little vials like the samples? Does anyone have experience with that size from feel oud?
    Currently wearing: Bonheur by Bortnikoff

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    Virgin Sumatran Island
    Oud Sub Lime
    Maroky Incense

One question: with oud oils, when you swipe, do you rub in as an oil or let it sit where it was swiped? Also, so far VSI is easily my fav of the three. Wish I had more than .2g!!!

Do the 1g come in nice bottles or little vials like the samples? Does anyone have experience with that size from feel oud?
    Better swipe and let the oil sit there. Rubbing it means killing the top notes. But it is not harmful to spread oil on the wrist gently.

0.2 ml is a sample. So, it is to try the oil at least three to four times to know its behaviour and shades.

I won't recommend acquiring more than 1 gram. Just imagine when/ if you have ten plus oils, 1 ml would last for a long time. Second, oils keep coming into the market. None is the last oil.
    Last edited by Rai Munir; 11th July 2019 at 04:05 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    Virgin Sumatran Island
    Oud Sub Lime
    Maroky Incense

Depends on the mood I am in and the density of the oud I am smelling. Rarely I swipe and do not rub at all - but obviously this can be messy (the oil can rub off on clothing, stain etc). Except for my beard - Chinese oud oil I have found smelling fantastic swiped on my beard and NOT rubbed it. Otherwise with oud I normally rub it in gently into skin - or I mix the oil with some unscented body lotion and smooth it on to give it more skin application.

My Feel Oud bottle (2.5gr) that I bought (Maroke Noir) came in a bottle like this:

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thanks for all the tips!
    Currently wearing: Bonheur by Bortnikoff