Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default Feel Oud (Oud, Sandalwood, etc) from Russian Adam of Areej le Dore line

I thought it would be a good idea to have one thread where we can talk about Feel Oud oils, blends, Mysore sandalwood distillations and such. The only thread (I could find) about the line was this one back from 2015, that was started by BN Member "russian adam", when he offered Basenotes members samples of the line. The majority of the ouds spoken about, on that thread, are no longer for sale on his site: http://www.feel-oud.com/

Personally I am very interested in his Mysore Sandalwood. At the moment, there are 2 versions: Bengal Sandal Aira ($45 for 2.5 grams) and Sandal 100K Finale ($120 for 2.5 grams).

ClaireV and Diamondflame, if you're reading this, I'd love to hear again some of your impressions of this line...I remember you two mentioning FeelOud on other threads.

Has anyone ever bought his oud wood (the actual wood pieces)? I personally never would (I don't have anything to burn the wood in my house)

What about shipping? I assume they're internationally based & must have to utilize international shipping, insurance, etc when shipping oils this costly and such.

Some of the ouds, classified as "Royal Oud Oil" are $1,500 for 3 grams!
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Bois de Mysore by Mizensir

Default Re: Feel Oud (Oud, Sandalwood, etc) from Russian Adam of Areej le Dore line

I own a number of oils from Feel Oud, the latest being Bio Hirta. All have been high quality and unique. As for shipping, I believe all of my oils were shipped via EMS International and ended up at my local USPS office where I had to sign for them. It’s typically been a 10 day process from offer to pickup and never had a problem. Adam may have different shipping options since Areej Le Dore came not existence.
    Currently wearing: Genre by Edward Bess

Default Re: Feel Oud (Oud, Sandalwood, etc) from Russian Adam of Areej le Dore line

Great idea for a thread, mikeperez! I did see the older thread when Adam was offering free samples but it is indeed time we have a more updated one on Feel-Oud stuff. More so with the closure of the BN Oud forum.

I did receive samples of Bio Hirta oud oil and Bengal Sandal with my purchase of Ottoman Empire . Will update my impressions of them with subsequent wearings.

Honestly Mike, I don't think you can go wrong with Bio Hirta if you are interested. It is just so easy to wear. Sweet flowers on top which swiftly transitions into a lovely Malaysian oud profile. Round and gorgeous with a bit of that initial sweetness tempering the pungency. As the hours go by it becomes a lovely wispy incense that languidly floats in the air. Bio Hirta is a full scent that is never heavy and does wonderfully in our Florida heat. It's a joy to wear and the price point is really nice.
    Currently wearing: Genre by Edward Bess

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by LostboyR View Post
    I own a number of oils from Feel Oud, the latest being Bio Hirta. All have been high quality and unique. As for shipping, I believe all of my oils were shipped via EMS International and ended up at my local USPS office where I had to sign for them. It’s typically been a 10 day process from offer to pickup and never had a problem. Adam may have different shipping options since Areej Le Dore came not existence.
    Yeah I am def' gonna be buying some Bio Hirta. Glad to know about the shipping, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Great idea for a thread, mikeperez! I did see the older thread when Adam was offering free samples but it is indeed time we have a more updated one on Feel-Oud stuff. More so with the closure of the BN Oud forum.

I did receive samples of Bio Hirta oud oil and Bengal Sandal with my purchase of Ottoman Empire . Will update my impressions of them with subsequent wearings.
    Oh I'd love to hear about Bengal Sandal.

Any idea why these are not in the BN Directory?
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

In case you missed reading this two-part article (with the most interesting and informative YouTube video's I've seen on oud production) about Feel Oud on Kafkaesque's blog the links are below:

Part 1: http://www.kafkaesqueblog.com/2017/0...w-theyre-made/
    Part 2: http://www.kafkaesqueblog.com/2017/0...lwood-reviews/

-- Eckhart Tolle

Wearing 2 swipes of Bengal Sandal today.

Compared to the Mysore I tried recently, this one is on the shy side of projection. It is silky smooth from the get go, with none of the charred edges or smoky nuances you find in certain species. It is warm, more milky than creamy IMO, lacking the rich ‘thickly slathered on butter’ feel oft associated with genuine sandalwood. There is a faint but noticeable vein of sap-like greenness running through which combines with its milkier aspect to form a creamy vetiver-like accord. By the 5th hour this accord gives way to an airier, slightly resinous but almost cedar-like woodsy note that lingers on as a skinscent... presumably for the remainder of its lifespan (I’m now in the 6th hour).

I can see how this particular type of sandalwood oil could work in a delicate floral composition that tends to be overwhelmed by the richly buttery creamy facet of other sandalwood. Iirc the Bengal sandalwood is used in Ottoman Empire.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks diamondflame. His Bengal Sandal is from Indian sandalwood, no?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Thanks diamondflame. His Bengal Sandal is from Indian sandalwood, no?
    You’re welcome, Mike. I think it is still Santalum Album, just not from Mysore.
    ...from Bangladesh, the border with Assam, India.

And according to Adam, it was distilled without prior ‘treatment’, which accounts for its airier less buttery profile.

Update:
    10+ hours in... still noticeable on skin. Less woody, faintly milky. Will make a wonderful basenote to any fragrance composition IMHO.

I think the Bengal Sandal’s lighter and easygoing profile makes it a great gateway sandalwood oil. But if you’re used to the richer /smokier sandalwood of the Mysore variety, you might find this a little spare in comparison.

Basenotes Institution

Ah I see diamondflame, thanks for clarifying that.

Just yesterday I was looking at that brand Eden Botanicals and they sell sandalwood from all kinds of regions...

-- Eckhart Tolle

I'm wearing Bengal Sandal today layered with Deer Musk. Bengal Sandal is really a solid sandalwood. I'm getting a lot of projection from just single drop and the addition of the deer musk tincture, the alcohol in the tincture is probably carrying it up a bit more into my nose.

Bengal smells a lot like the non-aged mysore I've tried. A buttered-turpentinic wood with some light floral undertones and a bit of an odd creamy pencil shavings type vibe I get in some sandalwoods.

I bought Bengal first and was quite impressed, a sample of Sandal 100K was included and I ended up buying that as well.

Basenotes Institution

Great rynegne - I saw your SOTD post so I was wondering where you'd gotten that sandalwood from.

Where is Bengal sandalwood from?

-- Eckhart Tolle

It's Bengal Sandal Aira from Feel Oud. The deer musk was from profumo.it.

Great rynegne - I saw your SOTD post so I was wondering where you'd gotten that sandalwood from.

Where is Bengal sandalwood from?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    It's Bengal Sandal Aira from Feel Oud. The deer musk was from profumo.it.
    Yes, lol, I was asking if you knew what region of the world it's harvested from (since I assume its not India/Mysore)?

-- Eckhart Tolle

User of Toilet Water

Yes, lol, I was asking if you knew what region of the world it's harvested from (since I assume its not India/Mysore)?
    Origin: 100% pure sandalwood oil from Bangladesh, the border with Assam, India.

Source: http://www.feel-oud.com/product/bengal-sandal-aira/

It's from the Eastern Indian border with Bangladesh according the the Feel Oud website. I think Mysore is in Southern India from my understanding.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    It's from the Eastern Indian border with Bangladesh according the the Feel Oud website. I think Mysore is in Southern India from my understanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    Origin: 100% pure sandalwood oil from Bangladesh, the border with Assam, India.

Source: http://www.feel-oud.com/product/bengal-sandal-aira/
    Ah, thanks!

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hindi Asli

Love this! This isn't a blend? Chewy Hindu oud with strong waxy undertones and wet edges that suggest chewing tobacco. Sweetness makes bold first appearance at head and moves to a background role quickly but remains substantive and helps keep everything chewy and moist. The oud is smooth with only slight barn accents (up close much more). Sour has sandal qualities. Refined and rugged.
    Currently wearing: New Sibet by Slumberhouse

Basenotes Institution

Thanks ctboom.

I do not think I am familiar with Hindu oud, at all. Are you? Or is Hindi Asli your first foray?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sure you are: Oud Zen!

Strong fermented notes, dark, can have funk elements but that's not the case for me with either of Oud Zen or Asli.

Thanks ctboom.

I do not think I am familiar with Hindu oud, at all. Are you? Or is Hindi Asli your first foray?

Velvet Kyen

Quality smoke and inky woods at a budget price. Before discovering oud, I'd despaired of finding a smoky scent that worked on me, they were too "aromachemical" and / or invoked BBQ'd meat. This one is fantastic. Full on psycho-therapeutic satisfaction. Get the full tola and do some layering.

Feel Oud retains a real, raw old school aesthetic in a world where everything is made overly precious.

Great solid stuff here guys.

Hello everyobody. Nikhil here from Exotic Scents. I apologise for my late participation in the discussions. I love Oud and have an informative YouTube channel called Exotic Scents where I discuss in detail about Oriental Scents and Artisanal perfumes. I love to feature independent artists and stuff like Oud the image of which has been sadly reduced to synthetic poo. It goes much beyond that. Since I am from India I have been exposed to pure oils esp Mysore Sandal Oils and about 3 years back discovered the fascinating world of Ouds. But sadly Oud has become a world full of lies and deceit even in the local scenario as it can really bring in millions of dollars. Anyway, I have really admired Russian Adam s works. And his latest venture Areej Le Dore is also topclass. Lets talk about his oils that I have but before we get into that lemme give you a brief sketch of what to expect from the different Oud oils mostly depending on the region. Every Oud is different. Its usually preference for a certain regional profile which dictates our purchases.

OUD: Origin India. Spread to Gulf and also to Japan and China via Buddhist cultures. Agar word comes from "Agaru". It is household incense item everywhere in India in forms of incense stick or agar-battis. The Nagchampa sticks which people love everywhere will have Agar and resin along with the Nagachampa/Champaka perfume :-) So its not an Arab thing. Even in Biblical history, the 3 wise men gift gold, myrrh and aloes from Assam. Hence its important we know a bit about Oud. I hope you will all like what I have to share about it.

India - Hindi (Aquilaria Agallocha/Aquilaria Malacennsis) Upper Assam: The birthplace of Ouds. Ouds are distilled the old way. Mostly animalic fermented top notes due to fungal invasion of soaked wood. However, these top notes will be not there is an oud distilled by a master distiller who tried to capture a soft tan leather laden tobacco caramel laced with forest honey. pepper or fennel seeds. The animalic tones are an anomaly. But its preferred in the gulf. The North Eastern (Lower Assam) Varieties (rare wild) will have an intense fiery peppery accord with a sweet pickled lemon sort of aroma (Revered as Kalakkassi). It is considered the destination of Oud. Extremely complex and soulful scent. One's actual journey shouldn't start here. Hahaha.This is the last piece of the puzzle. But once you reach here there's no going back. You will need chips to burn for fumigation for the ultimate meditative experience. (See Agarwood Assam on Etsy.com, Ensar Oud, Feel Oud). Dr Hindi and Royal Bengal are some of the loved Hindi oils from Feel Oud.

Bengali - Basically Bangladesh border with India. Sylhet is the popular Oud city. Species is similar. But Old bangla oils are basically really thick and coffee laden. Exquisite oils. They are extremely rare to be found. The newer oils are typical Upper Assam oils as described above. (See TreasureOud.com,UK or Holioud Habib,UK). Hindi = Indian = Bengali.

Burma/China/Laos - Aquilaria Sinensis - Very intense greenish incense profiles with sweet rose like undertones. Typically not funky. Some of the best oils are Chinese esp the oils from Hainan Region (Ensar Oud, Agarwood Assam, Imperial Oud, Agar Aura). Fragranant Harbour Supreme by Imperial Oud is HR. Unisex and extremely beautiful oil.

Cambodia/thailand - Aq. Crassna - Known for a balanced profile. Soft pleasant barn with fermented fruits. Tinge of detergent like soapiness. The most preferred woods of all. However, wild variety is almost gone and what you get now are extremely fragrant fruity luscious Ouds. Most user friendly along with the floral fruity oils of Thailand Plantations. Woods/Oils from these areas vary a lot for this reason. The overlapping and accidental wild finds. (Feel Oud, AgarAura, Imperial Oud). Most Unisex oils. Delicious. Compliment getters. Best for beginners esp oils from Trat region. Feel Oud s Choco Bo Rai with its palpable milk cocoa tones is quite a stunner and very well priced. Koh Kong oils by him and Agar Aura were also stunning. The most stunning and perfumery/creme de la creme is Oud Yousuf by Ensar Oud. The most sought after Artisanal Oud with a universal appeal.

Indonesia/Sri Lanka/Papua NG - Gyrinops - Intense spicy tones of cardamom, nutmeg, menthol and forest green with a touch of florals. No barn. Great for summers (Imperial Oud, Ensar Oud, Feel OUd). Sri Lankan Artisan by Feel Oud is HR or Sri Pada by Imperial Oud.

Vietnam/Meroke Oils - Aq. crassna/Aq. Filaria - Oak barrels, dried leaves and dust, damp earth mixed with magical Oudy transitions. Sweet floral tones. (Agaraura, feel Oud, Ensar Oud). Smokey to bittersweet. Feel Meroke Noir, Ensar Xiao Liang Ling and Al Shareef Oud Al Rubaie are great e.g. Also Mr Tony Bolton from facebook has an immense collection of lovely incense grade vietnam woods and oils. Very kind gentleman.

Malaysia - One of the most intense minty, incensy strong woody ouds with hints of muskiness. (House of Misk Malay Incens 150USD, Ensar Oud 550USD are excellent prototypes)

KYARA/KINAM : Wild. A special breed of Oud. No one knows specifics of how its formed but a common belief is its usually extremely old Vietnam agarwood (Aq. Sinensis). Even without burning the wood is so aromatic. It smells like vanilla incense and sweet red cherries without any hint of barn. Three different grades are identified. And it is an extremely costly affair reserved for japanese spiritual monkoh sessions. Kyara in japan. QiNam/Kinam in China.

KYEN: Plantation. Term coined by local traders. Basically when the infection is allowed to reach the heartwood in plantation trees which is an extremely rare phenomenon as opposed to wild tress, you get kyen. It has a bittersweet green floral tone to it. Very specific. Try Jing Shen Lu by Ensar Oud or Velvet Kyen by Feel Oud for same. I love it.Usually plantation wood is harvested early to meet supply so the agar formation is limited to periphery. However, Kyen is plantation equivalent of a wild heartwood agar.

WHITE OUD - can be of two types artificial and another agarwood species (not aquilaria) Aetoxylon Semptalum or Gaharu Boya aka Crocodile Wood found in Indonesia. It is a swamp tree and the agarwood formation is very rampant in it. It was used to adulterate THE agarwood oils before or mixed with agarwood for burning. However, on its own it has very nice spicy woody smell with spices like cloves. It also produces a nice smoke on burning. So with a little lobbying it has become a new perfume ingredient because Oud technically is Wood. How smart ? lol. So beware of that. It is extremely cheap and easy to carve or make bangles etc with. Its not toxic. And will eventually make it big as exotic wood in the market.

Every Oud will still have its signature tone. Sampling is key. An Oud requires hours and hours of study for complete understanding. Thing of patience and acquired taste. However, the experience of burning woods is o a different Olfactory Level in totality. Fumigation from a precious agar wood would last ages on clothes with a smell that is nearly divine and makes one ecstatic. Its pychoactive. Even the best oils enhance focus and help immensely with emotional stress.

SANDALWOOD:

Indian Mysore Alba - Extremely buttery with Curd like sourness at the top. Base is spicy woody and colossal. Extreme longevity is a trademark with soft projection. There's nothing like it in the whole wide world. Very rare to get. (Cauvery Emporium India, Agarwood Assam, Ensar Oud). Red Sandal is rare variety and its not available to everyone. Cauvery Emporium is the only official distributor of Govt. owned KSDL venture which handles factories at Mysore and Kuppam. Sandalwood is an endangered species. Cultivation farms/Plantations are coming up everywhere trying their best to match up to classical Sandal/Chandan smell but its far from reality.

East India - Spicy profile with low Santalol content. Mostly from Plantation not old wild trees.

Bangal Sandal - Spicy top notes. Not curdy. Very woody. Most wearable but not exquisite.

Australian Spicatum - Spicy Sandal with tinge of citruses. Great fore perfume making.

DISCUSSION:

Well, the discussion, quite honestly is beyond the scope of this forum. I will post about the ouds that I have from Feel Oud. And if you all want I can review about 200 odd Oud oils that I have :-) Some really rare ones that you can still grab. The Oud world is so murky. I would love to have you watch my videos for proper information of different Ouds and Eastern Perfumery in general. Because I have been studying this side of the perfume world for quite sometime now. Anyone having personal queries is always welcome. Cheers.
    Last edited by exoticscents; 21st October 2017 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Adding info
    Currently wearing: Musk Aoud by Roja Dove

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ctboom View Post
    Sure you are: Oud Zen!

Strong fermented notes, dark, can have funk elements but that's not the case for me with either of Oud Zen or Asli.
    I've never smelled Oud Zen

-- Eckhart Tolle

I'm confused. Surely you're familiar with Oud Zen, by Areej le Dore?

You're quoted in Kafkaesque as struggling with the powdery aspects of saffron in Oud Zen.

And, look at entry 465 of the following link:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/439...-Thread/page16

I've never smelled Oud Zen

Basenotes Institution

Velvet Kyen

Quality smoke and inky woods at a budget price. Before discovering oud, I'd despaired of finding a smoky scent that worked on me, they were too "aromachemical" and / or invoked BBQ'd meat. This one is fantastic. Full on psycho-therapeutic satisfaction. Get the full tola and do some layering.

Feel Oud retains a real, raw old school aesthetic in a world where everything is made overly precious.

Great solid stuff here guys.
    Good to know. I just saw the video, on the Feel Oud website, showing them distilling Velvet Kyen.

$90 / 2.5 gr is a pretty good price.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

I'm confused. Surely you're familiar with Oud Zen, by Areej le Dore?

You're quoted in Kafkaesque as struggling with the powdery aspects of saffron in Oud Zen.

And, look at entry 465 of the following link:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/439...-Thread/page16
    lol, you are right! My bad, I have smelled Oud Zen. I was thinking of Ottoman Empire there. Yes, the powdery pseudo-animalic beast on my skin. I understand now what you mean, when you said 'fermented'. That was the aspect that surprised me. Not barnyard-y, you are correct. But def something that is turning sour... I love how Feel Oud, on the website, in the description of Hindi Asli calls that aspect in all Hindu oils "Hindi funk" lol. It's not cheap = $190 / 2.5 gr and the site says there's a limited supply.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by exoticscents View Post
    Hello everyobody. Nikhil here from Exotic Scents. I apologise for my late participation in the discussions. I love Oud and have an informative YouTube channel called Exotic Scents where I discuss in detail about Oriental Scents and Artisanal perfumes. I love to feature independent artists and stuff like Oud the image of which has been sadly reduced to synthetic poo.
    Nikhil , Thank you so much for such informative insight.
    It really helps to understand the basic of oud , given the (internet) jungle of information available ..

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by exoticscents View Post
    ...Feel Oud s Choco Bo Rai with its palpable milk cocoa tones is quite a stunner and very well priced. Koh Kong oils by him and Agar Aura were also stunning...

... Sri Lankan Artisan by Feel Oud is HR...

...Feel Meroke Noir...

...Velvet Kyen by Feel Oud for same.
    Nikhil I would love to hear more about these Feel Oud scents from you, on this thread. Feel free to post more impressions/comments. Thanks!

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thank you so much. I would love to contribute if you all feel the need of it. Cheers.

Thanks a lot Mike. Glad I could be of help. I would love to post detailed thoughts on all these Ouds. I have a decent collection on oils from these artisans and many classical eastern/indian perfumes and attars. I adore the community's enthusiasm regarding Ouds and I will do my level best to explain in detail about each and every Oud you all are interested in. Cheers