Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Just Started Not Too Long Ago

Hi. I'm just another teenager beginning to dip into the world of fragrances. At first I started out by wearing bodysprays like BOD and Axe (arguably, some of the less-popular scents are a bit good if you don't overspray). My dad has been wanting me to take the plunge for awhile and after testing out a few scents I'm pretty sure this is going to turn into an addiction.

Here's my current stack:

CK Eternity
    CK Euphoria
    CK Reveal
    Versace Blue Jeans
    Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb

This Fall I'm pretty sure I'm going to be wearing Reveal and Spicebomb (these are my two favorites) often, however, I'd also like to find a 'signature'. I've been looking for something that's tobacco-y, warm, and also possibly has spices or some cream. I want it to be something versatile so not too 'formal'. I also don't want it to be a boring fragrance. Something that carries a unique or memorable scent. I don't want it to be one of those that smells like every other frag on the market. My budget for this would probably be around $60.

I'm okay with wearing scents that are obscure or lesser-known. However, if it's something you'd only be able to find online, I'd prefer if samples or smaller mls were easy to acquire.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Just Started Not Too Long Ago

Welcome to you selcouth! Enjoy your time here at Basenotes! Just keep looking and trying other scents. You're bound to find the one that hits all the buttons for you.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

CK1 Shock (the male one)

Basenotes Plus

Perhaps sample London for Men by Burrberry - tobacco, cinnamon, leather, etc. $

or Tobacco by Franck Boclet - less well known outside Basenotes community - $$

Welcome to Basenotes Selcouth and hope you have fun here.
    Last edited by CapriDog; 10th October 2017 at 09:51 PM.

Welcome! Also adding Eau des Baux.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post

Perhaps sample London for Men by Burrberry - tobacco, cinnamon, leather, etc. $

or Tobacco by Franck Boclet - less well known outside Basenotes community - $$

Good suggestions!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Welcome to the community!
    There isn't anything better than smelling good and being complimented on how good you smell!

"We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time." ~ Huey Lewis & The News
    "If you don't stop and take a look around once in awhile, you might miss it." ~ Ferris Bueller

How about Pure Havane. http://www.basenotes.net/ID26132173.html
    Price is where you are looking, tobacco and vanilla.
    I prefer Pure Malt with this a close second in Thierry Mugler AMen Flankers.
    Welcome.
    Currently wearing: Herod by Parfums de Marly

Welcome aboard

Quote Originally Posted by selcouth View Post
    I've been looking for something that's tobacco-y, warm, and also possibly has spices or some cream. I want it to be something versatile so not too 'formal'. I also don't want it to be a boring fragrance. Something that carries a unique or memorable scent.
    Burberry London fits the bill dead on.

For something a bit more intense, Michael Kors Michael for Men.

Pushing your budget a bit, Diptyque Volutes.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I thought of L'occitane - Eau des Baux and Thierry Mugler - Pure Havane, but I was beaten to it. CK Shock is in the same ballpark and with a nice price tag. Best of luck and tell us what you think of them.
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for the warm welcome as well as the suggestions, everyone! I'll be going down to a few local stores either tomorrow or Saturday to try the ones I can find out.

I also forgot to ask this in the O.P, but I've had this question for a few days. What do people mean when they call something a 'niche fragrance'?

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for the warm welcome as well as the suggestions, everyone! I'll be going down to a few local stores either tomorrow or Saturday to try the ones I can find out.

I also forgot to ask this in the O.P, but I've had this question for a few days. What do people mean when they call something a 'niche fragrance'?
    http://www.perfume.org/all-about-per...the-difference
    Last edited by ladida; 12th October 2017 at 10:45 PM.
    Current favorites:

- Bleu De Chanel EDP
    - 1969 Revolte
    - Narciso Rodriguez For Him EDT
    - Aventus
    - Dior Homme Parfum
    - Nio
    - Bois d'Argent

http://www.prayforfrance.org/

Basenotes Plus

Welcome!! I second (or third or fourth..) Burberry London and cK One Shock! Good fall scents for not a lot of money. There's also John Varvatos Vintage, the original John Varvatos, and Polo Red Intense. And, finally, I like Boss Bottled No 6 and the newer Boss Bottled Intense EDP (not the EDT) in the fall, especially. Cinnamon, apple, and wood. [emoji106]

Someone else mentioned Franck Boclet Tobacco, and I love and wholeheartedly recommend it too! But it's pretty pricey compared to the suggestions above.

Basenotes Plus

I think you may find an answer here

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/416...-Should-Sample
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: 1000 by Jean Patou

Blog Entries

Another firm +1 for Burberry London for Men. Will always be my wardrobe staple, right next to the pricier, glorified ultra niche stuff.

welcomesign.gif

I've always been a fan of Opium YSL and recently cheapy Japanese Cherry Blosom.
    Favorites: BN9 SOPFH - Amouage Reflection Man - PDM Layton - D&G Velvet Exotic Leather - L'Homme YSL - Dior Fahrenheit - Prada L'Homme

This might not be the most concise, as I will be replying from mobile. The verdict so far is:

I didn't really care for Burberry London. Perhaps this is because I heard so many favorable things about it before I even began this search, that actually smelling it caused disappointment? Imo, it reminded me of an old guy. This is odd.

Quote Originally Posted by rms2112 View Post
    There's also John Varvatos Vintage, the original John Varvatos.

Coincidentally enough, a few hours before your comment I happened to accidentally try both of them. Vintage is great, though it seems to be something I'll only wear during special occassions. I don't think I'm quite ready yet to tame it as an everyday.
    ---

I also tried Pure Malt and (unsurprisingly) wasn't able to find Havane. Malt, like Vintage, was also great. Couldn't really smell much tobacco, though it'll definitely end up in my collection. I do want to sample Havane before purchasing however.

There was one an attendant recommended that she said reminded her of pipe tobacco. That happened to be CK Obsession. It reminds me of a 'younger' Varvatos Vintage. I could definitely smell tobacco in there, but was quite shocked when it didn't seem to be any in the notes. Not to mention, it didn't smell as old-mannish to me as London, even if it's regarded as such by a many It is the one I feel the most inclined to buy, however, I still a bit anxious to do so based on the 'mature' reputation associated with it.

The others (both surprisingly and unsurprisingly) I couldn't find. Though I'll definitely scour for samples of Pure Havane, Boclet Tobacco, Michael Kors, and CK Shock as these seem to pique my interest the most.

And thanks Ladida as well as Purecaramel for the article links.