Code of Conduct
o
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default NEW: Shiseido - "MG 5" !

"Shiseido "MG 5" was launched in August 1967 as a "male comprehensive cosmetic brand" ahead of the times.

In commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the birth of the brand, Shiseido will release the original fragrance "Shiseido MG 5 Eau De Toilette" with a diamond cut design of black and silver as a limited quantity on October 21, 2017.

The realese will be presented as a collaboration with the men's clothing brand Gotairiku of Onward Kashiyama celebrating its 25th birthday this year.

Gotairiku, the image source of the theme "NEXT GENERATION - A GENT RING" of the autumn / winter season of 2017 was Nippon in the Showa 30s and 40s, subliming fashion and culture of this period, "Retro Japanese Modern".

MG 5 also swept the fashionable men of those days. There will be a set of a tie, a tie bar and a turtleneck sweater, pocket handkerchief that goes together with the fragrance." - a note from the brand.

(no notes listed as of yet)
    Last edited by hednic; 10th October 2017 at 10:49 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: NEW: Shiseido - "MG 5" !

Thanks for the info! I am intrigued. . .

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

What a terrible translation. So the smell of Japanese men circa 1955 (Showa 30) to 1974 (Showa 49)?

Considering men of that age group id expect something old school and barbershoppy, but I doubt that's what it will smell like.
    For what it's worth, there's a phrase in Japanese, Showa-Kusai that means literally reeking of the Showa era, which means something a bit outdated slightly old fashioned.

Edit - looking at Gotairiku's website, that's exactly the impression http://gotairiku1992.jp/
    the slightly dandy older gentleman. Shiseido's Japanese site lists it as citrus, floral, woody, which doesn't really reveal much.
    Last edited by Darjeeling; 11th October 2017 at 01:26 AM.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    What a terrible translation. So the smell of Japanese men circa 1955 (Showa 30) to 1974 (Showa 49)?

Considering men of that age group id expect something old school and barbershoppy, but I doubt that's what it will smell like.
    For what it's worth, there's a phrase in Japanese, Showa-Kusai that means literally reeking of the Showa era, which means something a bit outdated slightly old fashioned.

Edit - looking at Gotairiku's website, that's exactly the impression http://gotairiku1992.jp/
    the slightly dandy older gentleman. Shiseido's Japanese site lists it as citrus, floral, woody, which doesn't really reveal much.
    Is there a price in evidence? Just curious. The new Yohji intrigues me more.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Is there a price in evidence? Just curious. The new Yohji intrigues me more.
    i think it was 5,400 yen, which is probably under $50, although I haven't checked JPY-USD exchange rates recently.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    i think it was 5,400 yen, which is probably under $50, although I haven't checked JPY-USD exchange rates recently.
    Cool! Thanks! Not that bad!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines