Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Junkie Man Of The World's Avatar
    Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Default I Think I Have Become Addicted To The Smell Of Iris!!

The first time I ever tried DHI I almost gagged. That lipstick/makeup vibe was not good.

Fast forward a couple of years and I really got into Prada L'Homme. Now the iris vibe in this one is much more subtle and I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed it so much that it became my favorite part of the scent. I was now looking to "UP THE IRIS". I bought myself a bottle of Valentino Uomo Intense a few weeks back because I saw it as a more wearable DHI and the lipstick vibe fades after 30 minutes. The problem I now had was that I really started to miss the opening 30 minutes (the iris). I am now in the process of hunting down a bottle of DHI. I find the smell of iris very luxurious and very addictive. I think the first time I sampled iris it was so new to me that my nose couldn't relate/deal with it but after time it has become an extra special note to me.

Anyone else have a similar experience??

Thanks in advance!!
    All Time Favorites

Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior
    Musc Ravageur - Frederic Malle
    Carnal Flower - Frederic Malle
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Sandalwood Cologne - Geo Trumper
    Eucris - Geo Trumper
    Tabac Rouge - Phaedon
    Terre d'Hermes - Hermes
    Havana - Aramis
    Chergui - Serge Lutens
    Reflection Man - Amouage
    Dior Homme - Dior
    Uomo Intense - Valentino
    Currently wearing: Eucris by Geo F Trumper

Default Re: I Think I Have Become Addicted To The Smell Of Iris!!

I went from meh to loving it.
    I think there's a good thread in the General Fragrance Discussion forum where they sample a number of the leading Iris scents.
    Thr most intense iris I've tried was Iris Silver Mist, but it was just too rooty and carroty for me. It was only once I layered it did I get that silky, plush feeling that Iris often gives me.
    Current favorite iris scents are 28 La Pausa for a fresh clean Iris and Orris & Sandalwood for a violet, sandalwood, iris and Amber experience.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    I went from meh to loving it.
    I think there's a good thread in the General Fragrance Discussion forum where they sample a number of the leading Iris scents.
    Thr most intense iris I've tried was Iris Silver Mist, but it was just too rooty and carroty for me. It was only once I layered it did I get that silky, plush feeling that Iris often gives me.
    Current favorite iris scents are 28 La Pausa for a fresh clean Iris and Orris & Sandalwood for a violet, sandalwood, iris and Amber experience.
    28 La Pausa sound great. I love Sandalwood as well!!
    All Time Favorites

Eucris - Geo Trumper
    Tabac Rouge - Phaedon
    Terre d'Hermes - Hermes
    Havana - Aramis
    Chergui - Serge Lutens
    Reflection Man - Amouage
    Dior Homme - Dior
    Uomo Intense - Valentino

Can relate to this quite a bit and while not liking iris in the regular Dior Homme EDT, liking it far more in nearly all of its flankers, as well as in Pierre Cardin Iris Sauvage and L`Erbolario Iris among others, in no particular order

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Can relate to this quite a bit and while not liking iris in the regular Dior Homme EDT, liking it far more in nearly all of its flankers, as well as in Pierre Cardin Iris Sauvage and L`Erbolario Iris among others, in no particular order
    I'm glad it's not just me. It obviously takes a little time to warm to.
    All Time Favorites

Eucris - Geo Trumper
    Tabac Rouge - Phaedon
    Terre d'Hermes - Hermes
    Havana - Aramis
    Chergui - Serge Lutens
    Reflection Man - Amouage
    Dior Homme - Dior
    Uomo Intense - Valentino

I second the suggestion of 28 La Pausa. My favourite iris as well, along with Divine's L'Homme de Coeur. I too admire Iris Silver Mist a lot and have owned it twice, but have decided that I cannot take it.

...try l'Homme de Coeur by Divine...!

Banned

The new Valentino Uomo Noir Absolu is worth a sniff. Waxy Iris and incense do their thing for ages and ages off my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    The new Valentino Uomo Noir Absolu is worth a sniff. Waxy Iris and incense do their thing for ages and ages off my skin.
    Has this been released yet??
    All Time Favorites

Eucris - Geo Trumper
    Tabac Rouge - Phaedon
    Terre d'Hermes - Hermes
    Havana - Aramis
    Chergui - Serge Lutens
    Reflection Man - Amouage
    Dior Homme - Dior
    Uomo Intense - Valentino

so... it's time to hunt down the REAL iris beasts. let's see if you're really addicted to it... haha

SL Iris Silver Mist
    Hermes Hiris

Sorry.....Just seen it online. I can only see it with Harrods. Man......Those notes look amazing.
    All Time Favorites

Eucris - Geo Trumper
    Tabac Rouge - Phaedon
    Terre d'Hermes - Hermes
    Havana - Aramis
    Chergui - Serge Lutens
    Reflection Man - Amouage
    Dior Homme - Dior
    Uomo Intense - Valentino

Quote Originally Posted by Man Of The World View Post
    The first time I ever tried DHI I almost gagged. That lipstick/makeup vibe was not good.

Fast forward a couple of years and I really got into Prada L'Homme. Now the iris vibe in this one is much more subtle and I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed it so much that it became my favorite part of the scent. I was now looking to "UP THE IRIS". I bought myself a bottle of Valentino Uomo Intense a few weeks back because I saw it as a more wearable DHI and the lipstick vibe fades after 30 minutes. The problem I now had was that I really started to miss the opening 30 minutes (the iris). I am now in the process of hunting down a bottle of DHI. I find the smell of iris very luxurious and very addictive. I think the first time I sampled iris it was so new to me that my nose couldn't relate/deal with it but after time it has become an extra special note to me.

Anyone else have a similar experience??

Thanks in advance!!
    Exact same experience. Only difference is that, although I disliked DHI on the blotter, I fell in love with it the first moment I tested it on my skin. I liked it so much that I instantly bought a 150 ml bottle and almost finished it in a year Also I think Valentino Uomo Intense's drydown is a cloying mess, not even close to what the regal and complex Iris note is capable of. Iris is mostly what I am looking for in perfumes now. Still lots of iris ground for me to cover, as I haven't sampled all the basic ones yet, but from the ones I ve tried, I strongly recommend Iris De Nuit by James Heeley, L' Attesa by Masque, Infusion D'Iris by Prada (if you can get hold of the Absolue version you're even luckier), Soavissima by Profumum Roma (BEAST mode Iris) and Dior Homme Parfum.
    Last edited by astaldohen; 12th October 2017 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by astaldohen View Post
    Exact same experience. Only difference is that, although I disliked DHI on the blotter, I fell in love with it the first moment I tested it on my skin. I liked it so much that I instantly bought a 150 ml bottle and almost finished it in a year Also I think Valentino Uomo Intense's drydown is a cloying mess, not even close to what the regal and complex Iris note is capable of. Iris is mostly what I am looking for in perfumes now. Still lots of iris ground for me to cover, as I haven't sampled all the basic ones yet, but from the ones I ve tried, I strongly recommend Iris De Nuit by James Heeley, L' Attesa by Masque, Infusion D'Iris by Prada (if you can get hold of the Absolue version you're even luckier), Soavissima by Profumum Roma (BEAST mode Iris) and Dior Homme Parfum.
    I agree about Valentino Uomo Intense. The drydown is not a mess to me but nowhere near the level of the first 60 minutes. That opening is rather special. I haven't tried Infusion D'Iris but I did recently get my hands on a bottle of Infusion d'Homme which I believe is similar.
    All Time Favorites

Eucris - Geo Trumper
    Tabac Rouge - Phaedon
    Terre d'Hermes - Hermes
    Havana - Aramis
    Chergui - Serge Lutens
    Reflection Man - Amouage
    Dior Homme - Dior
    Uomo Intense - Valentino

Another possible, viable, quite easily/readily available and inexpensive masculine iris choice could be Zara 9.0 - remarked by quite a few YT fragrance reviewerrs, not just by me, as a good value for money alternative to most mainstream iris male choices, at a fraction of most designer/niche offerings with similar style and performance

Banned

Sorry.....Just seen it online. I can only see it with Harrods. Man......Those notes look amazing.

Yep, Harrods exclusive. Picked it up for the splits a while back and was quite impressed, my review:

Quick impressions:

As most of us expected this is Valentinos rendition of Dior Homme Parfum and indeed just like the formula before this composition holds a lot in common with the Dior offering just with a little twist here and some rearrangement there.

This time round you get a really nice, prominent and waxy iris accord thats roughed up a bit with a sprinkling of pepper. The scent overall feels smooth and easygoing and is nowhere near as dense/thick as DHP due to the leather being switched out for incense and this makes it a heck of a lot more versatile as the juice feels a lot more casual and playful because of how it combines the iris top with the creamy sandalwood base. Quite a simplistic and a fairly linear composition and just like VUI the iris sticks around for the whole performance and the incense undertone actually makes this feel like its wafting off your skin which is a a nice touch.

A moderate projector that wraps you a nice scent bubble with around 9 hours showtime from 3 sprays.

Will update after I've given it a proper blast as I was in "polite company" today and couldn't hammer the trigger like I usually do.
    Need to dig it back out for a full wearing so thanks for reminding me about this one

Another exceedingly dope on is the discontinued Lanvin - Arpege Pour Homme, smells like a prototype of Dior Homme and is an altogether stunning scent. Iris Oriental by PG is also worth tracking down.

Yep, Harrods exclusive. Picked it up for the splits a while back and was quite impressed, my review:

Need to dig it back out for a full wearing so thanks for reminding me about this one

Another exceedingly dope on is the discontinued Lanvin - Arpege Pour Homme, smells like a prototype of Dior Homme and is an altogether stunning scent. Iris Oriental by PG is also worth tracking down.
    Nice review. Sounds like something I would like!
    All Time Favorites

Eucris - Geo Trumper
    Tabac Rouge - Phaedon
    Terre d'Hermes - Hermes
    Havana - Aramis
    Chergui - Serge Lutens
    Reflection Man - Amouage
    Dior Homme - Dior
    Uomo Intense - Valentino

I agree about Valentino Uomo Intense. The drydown is not a mess to me but nowhere near the level of the first 60 minutes. That opening is rather special. I haven't tried Infusion D'Iris but I did recently get my hands on a bottle of Infusion d'Homme which I believe is similar.
    Infusion D'Homme is discontinued and repackaged by Prada as Infusion d'Iris Cèdre. It is fairly enjoyable, but there is something in the mix of the Cedre version that makes it lack the austerity and true Iris character that the original has. Also there are no gender issues, since the original is considered totally unisex Wish you an enjoyable iris hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by astaldohen View Post
    Infusion D'Homme is discontinued and repackaged by Prada as Infusion d'Iris Cèdre. It is fairly enjoyable, but there is something in the mix of the Cedre version that makes it lack the austerity and true Iris character that the original has. Also there are no gender issues, since the original is considered totally unisex Wish you an enjoyable iris hunt!
    Yes....I actually managed to get my hands on Prada Infusion D'Homme a few weeks ago so the original is the only one I have tried.
    All Time Favorites

Eucris - Geo Trumper
    Tabac Rouge - Phaedon
    Terre d'Hermes - Hermes
    Havana - Aramis
    Chergui - Serge Lutens
    Reflection Man - Amouage
    Dior Homme - Dior
    Uomo Intense - Valentino

All my Iris favourites are from Dior.
    -Dior homme edt
    -Dior homme Intense
    -Dior Bois d'Argent

Sure...it's a great note. Check out the following:

Prada L'Homme
    Bruno Fazzolari Feu Secret
    Van Cleef & Arpels Bois d'Iris
    Orlov Star of the Season
    1899 Hemingway
    Valentino Uomo Intense (it takes the DH iris note to steroidal levels)
    Top 10 Rotation: December, 2017: Spice and Wood, Bleecker Street, Invasion Barbare, Layton, Ormonde Man, Viking, Club 75, Dia Man, Note de Yuzu, Tabac Rouge

Iris Silver Mist is gorgeous, but I really need to be in the mood to wear it. It's really a gloomy, cold weather kind of scent to me (think the surrounds of 1999s Sleepy Hollow film).

Chanel 19 and the Poudre flanker are great when layered with a leather scent. I do so sometimes with Daim Blond.

Dior's Bois d'Argent and VC&A's Bois d'Iris (very similar to each other) are nice, smooth, and sophisticated iris scents too.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I find the smell of iris very luxurious and very addictive.
    Happen to enjoy it also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Bought Valentino Uomo Intense. Not an obvious pick for me but got intrigued by the scent. Specially on the dry down.
    Ansiously awaiting for the package [emoji3]

Quote Originally Posted by joao_solo View Post
    Bought Valentino Uomo Intense. Not an obvious pick for me but got intrigued by the scent. Specially on the dry down.
    Ansiously awaiting for the package [emoji3]
    Hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I do!!
    All Time Favorites

Eucris - Geo Trumper
    Tabac Rouge - Phaedon
    Terre d'Hermes - Hermes
    Havana - Aramis
    Chergui - Serge Lutens
    Reflection Man - Amouage
    Dior Homme - Dior
    Uomo Intense - Valentino

...for a drier variety
    ...and THE (boozy) make-up bag scent
    Last edited by easyfish; 12th October 2017 at 02:19 PM.

L'homme de coeur is excellent .

Also a big iris fan. A couple that haven't been mentioned yet which I enjoy are:

CdG Sugi - classy, meditative scent meant to replicate the aroma of a Japanese bathhouse. Opens with a bracing blast of mentholated, peppery woods and gradually transitions into a soft iris/incense/woods drydown. Excellent for work or casual wear.
    Iris Nazarena - only sampled this so not sure it's worth a purchase given the price, but I really enjoyed it. Again its an incense/iris mix, very classy smelling.

Intrigued by all the recommendations for L'Homme de Coeur - will try to get my nose on this

Love and often wear Prada L'Homme and VUI but I still can't deal with DHI, have a bottle of DHP, but that's a completely different scent.
    Last edited by techt; 12th October 2017 at 10:43 PM.

DHI was love at first sniff. Own two bottles. Iris can be tricky. All depends on how it's blended with other notes.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    DHI was love at first sniff. Own two bottles. Iris can be tricky. All depends on how it's blended with other notes.
    Can I ask what sort of reactions you get from others while wearing DHI??
    All Time Favorites

Eucris - Geo Trumper
    Tabac Rouge - Phaedon
    Terre d'Hermes - Hermes
    Havana - Aramis
    Chergui - Serge Lutens
    Reflection Man - Amouage