Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default QUEST: Turin/Sanchez top 100 (ish!) - Index and Week 1 (Shalimar and Opium)

Ladies and Gentlemen of Basenotes, clear your nostrils!

This is a quest to go through the 100 (well ~95) perfumes in the smaller Luca Turin/Tania Sanchez book - The Little Book of Perfumes: 100 Classics.

This thread is an index and has discussions for Week 1.

There is a housekeeping thread:

Turin/Sanchez Quest HOUSEKEEPING

to arrange sample swaps of perfumes on the quest you need to get /have available for others.

Below is the list of links to weeks done so far - the current week is Week 6.

Week 6: Cristalle (Chanel) and Diorella (Dior)

Week 5: Tommy Girl (Hilfiger) / Aprés L'Ondée (Guerlain)

Week 4: Rive Gauche (YSL) / Aromatics Elixir (Clinique)

Week 3: HALLOWEEN: Poison (Dior) / Angel (Mugler)

Week 2: Eau Sauvage (Dior) / Homme (Dior)

Week 1: Shalimar (Guerlain) / Opium (YSL)

Each week, there are two perfumes nominated from the lists, and everyone is welcome to give their opinions, discuss, review... The weeks are officially from Monday to Sunday, but the next week's thread is opened on the Friday of the previous week to allow each week to span two weekends.

The thread started as I noticed that I don't know all of the 100 classics in the book.

The idea is to go through them all week by week, and that anyone who likes can comment on the week's perfumes. It doesn't matter whether you try ones you own, do some 'sniff and run' in shops, or comment from memory - all contributions are welcome!

Hopefully trying them all (or some of them) and commenting will broaden everyone's enjoyment and understanding of these classics.

Hopefully, we'll make it through them all. I've divided the Turin/Sanchez list into two parts, easier and harder to get hold of (copied at end of this post).

This thread will serve as an index to the quest and as the first week's record. There will be a new thread each week and links to each weekly thread will be added to this post.

BN has a fantastic community ranging from Yodas of Scent to complete beginners, so hopefully we'll get all sorts of opinions and discussions here!

The first ten weeks have been set up to get us going, but for later, any suggestions for pairs of scents from the lists are most welcome!

Starting with some widely available perfumes, the first ten weeks are:

Week 1: Shalimar (Guerlain) / Opium (YSL) - two orientals

Week 2: Eau Sauvage (Dior) / Homme (Dior) - two very different masculines from one house

Week 3: Angel (Mugler) / Poison (Dior) - it is Halloween week so monsters from two different decades!

Week 4: Rive Gauche (YSL) / Aromatics Elixir (Clinique)

Week 5: Tommy Girl (Hilfiger) / Aprés L'Ondée (Guerlain)

Week 6: Cristalle (Chanel) / Diorella (Dior)

Week 7: 31 Rue Cambon (Chanel) / Iris Silver Mist (Serge Lutens)

Week 8: No. 5 (Chanel) / Chamade (Guerlain)

Week 9: Azuree (Estée Lauder) / White Linen (Estée Lauder)

Week 10: Rush (Gucci) / Tocade (Rochas)

Week 11: Sycomore (Chanel) / Timbuktu (L'Artisan Parfumeur)

Week 12: Bois des Iles (Chanel) / Dune (Dior)

Week 13: Amouage Gold / No. 5 Parfum (Chanel)

================================================== ============================
    LISTS

More Accessible

Angel Thierry Mugler Week 3
    Après l’Ondée Guerlain Week 5
    Aromatics Elixir Clinique Week 4
    Azurée Estée Lauder Week 9
    Azzaro pour Homme Azzaro
    Beyond Paradise Estée Lauder
    Boucheron Boucheron
    Breath of God Lush
    Calyx Prescriptives
    Chamade Guerlain Week 8
    Cool Water Davidoff
    Cristalle Chanel Week 6
    Dior Homme Dior Week 2
    Diorella Dior Week 6
    Dune Dior
    Eau de Guerlain Guerlain
    Eau Sauvage Dior Week 2
    Envy Gucci Week 7
    Givenchy III Givenchy
    Habit Rouge Gucci
    Insensé Givenchy
    Insolence eau de parfum Guerlain
    Jicky Guerlain
    Joy Jean Patou
    Knowing Estée Lauder
    Kouros Yves Saint Laurent
    L’Heure Bleue Guerlain
    Lolita Lemicka Lolita Lemicka
    Loulou Cacharel
    Mitsouko Guerlain
    Nahéma Guerlain
    No. 5 eau de toilette Chanel Week 8
    No. 5 parfum Chanel
    Opium Yves Saint Laurent Week 1
    Osmanthe Yunan Hermes
    Pleasures Estée Lauder Week 7
    Poison Dior Week 3
    Pour Monsieur Chanel
    Rive Gauche Yves Saint Laurent Week 4
    Rush Gucci Week 10
    Shalimar Guerlain Week 1
    Tocade Rochas Week 10
    Tommy Girl Tommy Hilfiger Week 5
    Vol de Nuit Guerlain
    White Linen Estée Lauder Week 9

Maybe not so easy to find

31 Rue Cambon Chanel
    1740 Histoires de Parfums
    Amouage Gold Amouage
    Bandit Robert Piquet
    Black Bulgari
    Bois de Violette Serge Lutens
    Bois des Iles Chanel
    Ça Sent Beau Kenzo
    Calandre Paco Rabanne
    Chinatown Bond No. 9
    Cuir de Russie Chanel
    Derby Guerlain
    Dzing! L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Fracas Robert Piquet
    Grey Flannel Geoffrey Beene
    Homage Amouage
    Invasion Barbare Parfums MDCI
    Iris Silver Mist Serge Lutens
    Knize 10 Knize
    L’Air du Désert Marocain Tauer Perfumes
    La Myrrhe Serge Lutens
    Lavender Caldey Island
    Le Temps d'un fete Parfums de Nicolai
    Le Troisieme Homme Caron
    Missoni Missoni
    New York Parfums de Nicolai
    Odalisque Parfums de Nicolai
    Or Black Pascal Morabito
    Ormonde Man Ormonde Jayne
    Ormonde Woman Ormonde Jayne
    Oud Cuir d'Arabie Montale
    Patchouli 24 Le Labo
    Pour un Homme Caron
    Private Collection Estée Lauder
    S-eX S-Perfume
    Sécrétions Magnifiques Etat Libre d’Orange
    Sycomore Chanel
    Timbuktu L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Ubar Amouage
    Unifaith Elternhaus
    Yatagan Caron
    Yohji Homme Yohji Yamamoto

Discontinued
    Badgley Mischka Badgley Mischka
    Beyond Paradise Men Estée Lauder
    Enlèvement au Sérail Parfums MDCI
    Le Feu d'Issey Issey Miyake
    Promesse de l’Aube Parfums MDCI
    Scent Theo Fennel
    Vanilia L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Last edited by Ebenas; 19th November 2017 at 02:45 PM.

Default Re: QUEST: Turin/Sanchez top 100 (ish!) - Index and Week 1 (Shalimar and Opium)

Opium

I had it all mapped out...

Went to Dublin's premier department store, YSL counter had two different Opium bottles - both saying EDT (I think!), Anyway, I got a good spray or two of the square amber coloured bottle, and it immediately brought me back to my youth. I don't know who used to wear it in my family/mother's friends but the spicy dry citrussy hit was very familiar to me.

My plan was to put Opium on one arm and Shalimar on the other but couldn't find Guerlain counter. Probably better this way as I can't imagine the width of my (ample) waist is enough to separate these two!

Opium is spicy, a little peppery, with a sort of composite balsamy warm block of scent in the middle. Oddly, it reminds me of a couple of far more modern orientals (L'Artisan's Mon Numéro Dix and some others I can't quite remember right now). It's a little sweet, but not in any way cloying or sugary - well, on the cloying front, it is a windy autumn night here and it's quite strong so I imagine it wouldn't be the best for a crowded lift. In the beginning there was a nice sharp dryness to it too.

That block of smells also reminds me of Youth Dew, which was a firm favourite of my mother's crowd - there's an odd sort of 'manufactured' feeling to the mixture, something like the unnaturalness but goodness of Coca-Cola - it doesn't actually smell like Coke - more that the blend is clearly a man-made object not found in nature.

I'd love to try the original - especially if it's less sweet.

4 hours later and it's a lovely spicy incense, and seems to have lost the sweetness - it still has that 'finished' or 'man-made' feel, which is just a comment, not a complaint.
    Last edited by Ebenas; 13th October 2017 at 12:29 AM.

Default Re: QUEST: Turin/Sanchez top 100 (ish!) - Index and Week 1 (Shalimar and Opium)

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenas View Post

Discontinued
    Badgley Mischka Badgley Mischka
    Beyond Paradise Men Estée Lauder
    Enlèvement au Sérail Parfums MDCI
    Le Feu d'Issey Issey Miyake
    Promesse de l’Aube Parfums MDCI
    Scent Theo Fennel
    Vanilia L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Yatagan Caron
    Yohji Homme Yohji Yamamoto
    Since when is Yatagan discontinued? Did I miss something?

Also worth noting that Yohji Homme has been reintroduced, though I can't comment on the new incarnation, as I haven't smelled it yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Way Off Scenter View Post
    Since when is Yatagan discontinued? Did I miss something?

Also worth noting that Yohji Homme has been reintroduced, though I can't comment on the new incarnation, as I haven't smelled it yet...
    Duly noted and lists amended - thanks!

Blog Entries

Sounds fun! Although I'm tempted to cheat on some of these with flankers.
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Sounds fun! Although I'm tempted to cheat on some of these with flankers.
    I don't think that'd be a problem - as long as we get some opinions on originals, it'd be great to hear about flankers - as we'll be looking at two perfumes a week and each week will have its own thread, there'll be plenty of room!

Just a note-you've been stickied at the top of the forum. What a wonderful idea this is; enjoy!
    Currently wearing: No. 5 L'Eau by Chanel

Shalimar
    Another one I don't have - liberally sprayed EdP in a shop.

It was quite sharp to begin with and has developed into a pretty straight amber with vanilla. I still find it a bit acrid sharp - it could be described as smokey but not in a good way. I'll give it another while - can't reject one of the greatest classics on one wearing! (dare I say it.... um, I, uh, think I prefer Opium...)

Basenotes Plus

I love Shalimar. I do remember reading that the modern edp is not the best concentration, so perhaps it would be worth you trying edt or even edc if you can find them?

I have a vintage edc, which is just gorgeous, and a modern parfum (tester from eBay). I've never worn them side by side, so will do so for this thread and report back.
    Currently wearing: Diorella by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDalloway View Post
    I love Shalimar. I do remember reading that the modern edp is not the best concentration, so perhaps it would be worth you trying edt or even edc if you can find them?

I have a vintage edc, which is just gorgeous, and a modern parfum (tester from eBay). I've never worn them side by side, so will do so for this thread and report back.
    Great idea! Will go to a different shop today and see what they have.

Basenotes Plus

Ebenas, this is such a great thread!! Excellent idea! I am really looking forward to reading yours and everyone else's opinions.

Neither Opium nor Shalimar are my thing. Both being far too hardcore deep oriental. Opium far too spicy and overwhelming and Shalimar too skanky. I know Shalimar is thought to be one of the best vanilla perfumes ever, but I believe none of us who enjoy straight up, foody vanillas can find themselves in Shali. First off, the stinky bergamot part and when that is finally gone, the struggle with ashy, leathery, animalic part. Yes, the vanilla note in it is beautiful, if only I could filter it from everything else around
    Since Shalimar is so loved and respected I kept coming back to it and testing it over the years, I still spritz it every now and then when in department stores, in case I changed my mind. But vanilla is probably my favourite note and it represents comfort to me. I could never feel comforted by Shalimar. I tried various flankers too, and liked none except Parfum Initial, which is now discontinued and it does not smell like Shalimar a lot. I mean, you can link it to Shalimar allright, but most of the things I hate have been removed.
    Mi sagli smo glave, u strahu da biće još gore...i biće, jer sagli smo glave...a ljubav živi...

I love Shalimar but agree that modern Shalimar edp is not the best, as a matter of fact it's the only version in which I smelled that infamous "baby diaper" note.

This thread is a wonderful idea! I do have access to many of the fragrances on the list and look forward to sniffing, commenting and reading others' opinions.
    Currently wearing: Nuit de Noël by Caron

You started the thread! Cool! I'm joining in today with Shalimar, of which I have a small EdP mini of unknown vintage (probably quite recent though).

I far prefer the EdP to the EdT, since I found the former to be far darker, smokier, and weirder than the more polite, citrus-led EdT when I tried both side by side in the store (unlike most current day consumers, I tend to prefer heavy, thick and intense over light and subtle). In the EdP, the citrus (bergamot) in the opening is not particularly fresh, but gives of a dry vibe that, together with the smoke, gives a slightly oily earl grey like impression. However, the scent immediately also has a firm animalic presence that keeps it from going "nice". I also get a lot of rubber and of course the vanilla is present. In Shalimar, the combination of vanilla/citrus/animalics and herbs (something rosemary like?) works perfectly for me, while a similar combination in Jicky can leave me feeling nausciated at times. I think I the main difference is that Shalimar is dryer to my nose. For a vanilla-centric perfume, it's not particularly sweet, which I appreciate, although it sweetens and becomes more balsamic the longer it's on my skin. After a few hours of wear it truly becomes a comfort blanket type of scent.

Shalimar is one of the first big classical perfumes I tried when I started discovering perfumes for real about a year ago, and I liked it enough to consider buying the EdP at one point, but then I introduced my sister to it and she took to it like a fish to water, and I completely understand this match. To me, she is the perfect person to wear Shalimar: a larger than life type A personality with a big mouth and an even bigger heart (and a blonde; for some reason Shalimar is for blondes, in my mind). So I leave this wonderful fragrance to her, and just keep a small mini for myself as a reference point in my fragrance drawer. I'm more of a Mitsouko girl, as it turns out.

Smellcheck

Quote Originally Posted by yellowtone View Post
    I far prefer the EdP to the EdT, since I found the former to be far darker, smokier, and weirder than the more polite, citrus-led EdT
    Excellent notes, Yellowtone! You actually made me want to give Shalimar another chance, since I've never warmed up to it.

Cook.bot please do! I never ever reach for it, as it is "not quite me", but wearing it today makes me realize just how fucking awesome it really is. Unapologetically NOT modern; big, expansive, assertive goodness. I also remember hugging my sister's baby and smelling her Shalimar on that infant's little head, it's quite maternal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenas View Post
    Duly noted and lists amended - thanks!
    It would have been pretty tragic to lose either of these (again, in the case of Yohji Homme). I'm glad they didn't go belly-up while I wasn't looking!

Basenotes Plus

I bought a mini of Shalimar just to summon the memories of my grandmother. Ada Mae was larger than life and EXUBERANT.

The scent of original Shalimar brings back Christmases from 1958 until 1970-something. She'd come in, laden with packages, and bend down to kiss us. The tinkling noise of her charm bracelet, the feel of the fox fur collar of her coat on our faces, and the smell of red lipstick and SHALLYMAR!

Thank you, Guerlain, for putting the memory in a bottle.
    Currently wearing: Baiser Volé by Cartier

mammakay

That's such a lovely memory!

I had another run at Shalimar today.

I went and tested Shalimar EdT, and had the same not so great reaction to the opening as I did with the EdP. Now, a few hours later, it's ambery with a dry vanilla. Mammakay's story made me think... yes, Shalimar is like something that went with well put together style of another time. I think when women dressed more with make up and jewellery, a strong and dense perfume had a stage to shine on. Maybe it's my generation's (or more accurately MY) more relaxed (and probably quite careless) attitude to dress and grooming that makes Shalimar a bit of a challenge - it just isn't casual or expansive enough. I find it somewhat like a well tailored 40's coat or suit - confidently and uncompromisingly feminine, whose wearer is not hiding any curves and is wearing lipstick. But for me, it's a little too much. Although I must say I like the EdT better than the EdP I tried the other day. Funnily enough, I didn't have the same feeling at all with Opium, which seems more open in some way.

Also, I noticed that two of three large perfume departments in Dublin stores don't have a Guerlain counter - I'm absolutely sure they did a few years ago - I hope this is not an omen!

Update: several hours later - the drydown is gorgeous!!! It's lost the odd tightness and is, as yellowtone says, an expansive comfort blanket!

Good call on the EdT, MrsDalloway!
    Last edited by Ebenas; 14th October 2017 at 11:00 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Ebenas - I hope you're right. It seems like Guerlain has gone downmarket to where the money is - the Sephoras and the fruitchouli counters in mainstream department stores. Even Saks here in New Orleans has dropped the entire line.

Also - on the "hard to find" list, you might move Chanel 31 Rue Cambon to the Discontinued list. According to the Chanel rep, much of the Exclusif line is going, and more will be added. The big marketing push of Boy was a nonstarter.

The power of bleu

I love Shalimar now, but I came to it pretty late. Before I became the perfumista that I am now, I ignored Shalimar as too “old fashioned.” Boy, was I wrong! I’ve always loved sweet spicy scents, so Shalimar actually should have been a no-brainer for me. Better late than never ... so they say and in my case, true.

I have a vintage bottle of Shalimar parfum and a mini of modern EDP. Of course, the parfum blows the EDP away. It’s so much richer and smokier than the modern EDP and the opoponox note is more prominent, which I like. It feels very luxurious and like Ebanas said, dressed up. Shalimar is so very classic and definitely belongs on a top 100 list!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quote Originally Posted by mammakay View Post

According to the Chanel rep, much of the Exclusif line is going, and more will be added. The big marketing push of Boy was a nonstarter.
    Wait, what? I haven't heard about this before, let's hope this isn't true! Now excuse me while I go off to find me a large 31 Rue Cambon EdT bottle somewhere...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by yellowtone View Post
    Wait, what? I haven't heard about this before, let's hope this isn't true! Now excuse me while I go off to find me a large 31 Rue Cambon EdT bottle somewhere...
    Ha, I just scurried on to ebay and bought a partial bottle. Which is a bit absurd since I actually had a decant and gave it away, but I know my tastes have changed...

Did you get any more information, mammakay? Was Boy a flop then? The edp reformulations are not popular on here though I was told by a rep in Selfridges that they'd been a hit. There are a slew of Exclusifs with unalluring names and lowish profiles I suppose - Beige, Jersey, 1932, Boy etc.

Basenotes Plus

Just while we're looking down the list, I have a Caldey Island Lavender from 2015 but it has been badly reformulated since the Guide. Not just me; Luca has said so forcibly on here too. I've been using it as a bathroom spray but I've got rather tired of it even for that. Would be good to know if they've fixed the issue and the newest bottles are any better, otherwise I don't think there's any point people chasing after it. It's nothing like a true lavender in the version I have.

Opium

Went on another testing expedition and tried both EdP and EdT - I'm getting really fond of Opium! I really like the sweetish (but not sugary) spicy drydown, and there's a lovely clean feeling to the whole development in an odd way - by clean I mean that there's nothing jarring, unlike Shalimar, which has that rather sharp and slightly nasty quality until you get to the drydown. I'm looking forward to trying Cinnabar (which doesn't make the list) to complete the trio!

For now, really enjoying the sense of wellbeing and spiciness from Opium as I wait for Hurricane Ophelia to hit our little island.
    Last edited by Ebenas; 15th October 2017 at 10:01 PM.

I am excited to participate in this where I can. This weekend I am suffering quite a bit from motion sickness and migraine. Still adjusting after a cruise and two flights, I suppose. But I will head over to Dillard's as soon as I'm able.

In the meantime, I will note that I was at Dillard's two weeks ago and sprayed both of these in current version, as it happens. My feeling is that current Opium reminds me a lot of older Shalimar in some ways, and that they are similar enough that I could not tell at first which one was wafting that my son had sprayed (it was Opium). Current Shalimar EDT has a sharp lemony bergamot and a modern svelte quality that I don't dislike. However, I remember the EDT in the ridged bottle that I used to wear in 2005, and it had a lot more powder and depth. The older parfum I remember from the mid-90's was much more spicy and vanilliac. I miss that one.
    "Hit a tripwire of smell and memories explode all at once.
    A complex vision leaps out of the undergrowth."
    -Diane Ackerman

Ha, I just scurried on to ebay and bought a partial bottle. Which is a bit absurd since I actually had a decant and gave it away, but I know my tastes have changed...

Did you get any more information, mammakay? Was Boy a flop then? The edp reformulations are not popular on here though I was told by a rep in Selfridges that they'd been a hit. There are a slew of Exclusifs with unalluring names and lowish profiles I suppose - Beige, Jersey, 1932, Boy etc.
    It's never absurd to secure something rare that is only likely to go up in value.
    "Hit a tripwire of smell and memories explode all at once.
    A complex vision leaps out of the undergrowth."
    -Diane Ackerman

The power of bleu

I’m wearing Opium today. It is the EDT version, probably about 10 years old. The EDT is plenty strong with mad sillage. I wore it some in the late 70’s - early 80’s, but I preferred Cinnabar back then. Now, I have them both and like them equally.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

MrsDalloway I followed your example and finally bought the full 200 ml bottle of Rue Cambon EdT that I have been eyeing for weeks. It's perhaps a bit overkill since I already had a 50ml decant, but I guess I can sell that one on. This is a life time supply for me!

I will try to pop into a fragrance store today to spray on Opium and will report back later.

Basenotes Plus

I was told that Boy wasn't quite the big crossover hit that Chanel was hoping for. Beige is popular. 1932 is not; sour in a way. Gardenia is very nice, but $200 is a lot to shell out for a soliflore. Rue de Cambon was rated five stars by Luca Turin! And Chanel is dropping it.
    Who knows.

I'll try to pop into Saks this week and talk to the rep for more information for you.
    Last edited by mammakay; 16th October 2017 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Added last sentance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    My feeling is that current Opium reminds me a lot of older Shalimar in some ways, and that they are similar enough that I could not tell at first which one was wafting that my son had sprayed (it was Opium). Current Shalimar EDT has a sharp lemony bergamot and a modern svelte quality that I don't dislike. However, I remember the EDT in the ridged bottle that I used to wear in 2005, and it had a lot more powder and depth. The older parfum I remember from the mid-90's was much more spicy and vanilliac. I miss that one.
    Hi Kotori! Hope you feel better soon!
    That's interesting about current Opium being like older Shalimar - I find that the Shalimar I tested in shops this week is not what I expected on the opening notes, and that Opium is far more 'spicy oriental' from the get go, although Shalimar does dry down to a softer amber/vanilla while Opium (again from shops this week) stays more complex into the drydown.