Code of Conduct

Default Dunhill Blend 30 is it worth a blind buy if I run across a bottle?

I've read most of the reviews. I am very curious about this one. Some reviews mention a sulfurous note. I don't believe I'd care for that very much. Other reviews liken it to Patou pour home which I already have. If I already have Patou pour home would this one just be redundant? Is it worth a blind buy if I run across a bottle? Is it safe to purchase a splash? How is the sillage or longevity on this one? I'm sure I will probably get some mixed responses on this post but I feel its worth asking the question.

Cheers all,

Rick
    " I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors
    Currently wearing: Sagamore by Lancôme

Default Re: Dunhill Blend 30 is it worth a blind buy if I run across a bottle?

One of the best ever from Dunhill -- quite mossy and herby and has something most fragrances lack now --- complexity

Don't know about blind buying though -- I'm guessing it's not cheap especially if fully sealed

Thanks for your in put Kaern. I think you are right about it probably not being cheap. I suspect I may have difficulty finding a bottle for sale but I shall endeavor to chase it down if I can.

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Big fan of Blend 30 here. Luckily I've never picked up on anything sulfurous. There are similarities with PPH but they diverge pretty quickly into their own unique scent. In a nutshell, I'd say Blend 30 is more herbal/tobacco-y than PPH. Longevity is average on me, and it wears somewhat close to the skin. It's never "loud" IMO, settling quickly into a quiet but fairly persistent scent.

As for the blind buying and splash procurement, I've had good luck but that doesn't mean you will, so I can't really say one way or another.

I just lost an 100ml spray bottle without box with 65EUR, here in Europe!
    *spits out broken teeth*...
    One person's craziness is other person's reality!

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

To answer the thread question, IMO - Yes.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I wouldn't blind buy it (especially since it's likely to be priced high due to its rarity), but I do really like the fragrance. I've seen references to it being similar to Patou PH, but it does not strike me like that. It's much more of a tobacco scent than PPH....at least to me. And its performance for me is at least average....to good. This isn't the type of fragrance I would want to be overly strong anyway. Its performance is just right, as far as I'm concerned.

I initially bought a splash bottle, but only because it wasn't opened yet. I personally don't like buying used splash bottles because of contamination issues. Some think that's silly, so go with however you feel about it.

I do notice some kind of a funky note in Blend 30 that develops for a time in the earlier stages. I don't know if I'd call it "sulfurous," but it is something that I notice and I wish wasn't there. Whatever the offending note is, it doesn't appear to be in the top notes, as the opening is very nice. But the offending note seems to blossom a short time later. Fortunately, it doesn't last long and the overall scent goes on to develop into the classic men's fragrance it's known for.

I know when I was looking for Blend 30, it was VERY hard to find a spray bottle of it, and also very hard to find a non-opened splash bottle of it. I was very lucky to buy an unopened 3.4 oz spray bottle of it from a fellow Basenoter about a year ago.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Pomelo Paradis & Vetiver Fatal, St James of London, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Blend 30 has a green, pipe tobacco smell. Reminiscent of the 1970's. Both Blend 30 and Patou Pour Homme are strong and rich fragrances. Blend 30 is like mahogany wood while PPH is more like birds eye maple, what I mean to say is Blend 30 has more character while PPH is very prim and brighter than Blend 30.

I have owned multiple bottles of Blend 30 in the past, If the bottles are not stored properly you will get a sulphuric smelll from it, I had this issue with one of my bottles. Naed Nitram's review also mentions about this smell.

Worth noting is the fact that Blend 30 after shave is also very strong and close to the EdT.
    Last edited by Tradition; 13th October 2017 at 11:42 PM.

Thank You all for your input. This has helped me quite a bit. I believe on E-bay there is a way I can sort through the website and have it search for me. I just have to remember or refresh my memory as to how to do that. I am sure I can figure it out. It sounds like something I would like.

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors