Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: NEW: Tauer Perfumes - Attar AT!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah1919 View Post
    Luckyscent is not doing samples. Need to find a sample somewhere!
    I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if anyone did a sample of this - it's only 5ml undiluted. Tauer's initial release was a sample size. (If I were in the States I'd be happy to pass that on when I get the 5ml). It's a pity tauer.com doesn't remove VAT, though other places that do are now stocking it. Still, I like to buy from mothership sites if possible.
    No live organism can continue for love to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Does it actually have real oud (or synthetic) in it? It mentions a "Arabic wood accord", that's a bit vague though.
    When Andy reported on his saudi trip, he said that he has been gifted with a quality oud. If I remember correctly he told his blog readers that this oud inspired him to do this attar. Given the moderate price and the wide availability of this scent I have some doubt that there's (much) real oud in it. On the other hand: Andy not only sais he's doing things a bit differently - he actually does. So I wouldn't be surprised too much if he managed to put at least a bit of the real stuff in this. Just speculating

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Does it actually have real oud (or synthetic) in it? It mentions a "Arabic wood accord", that's a bit vague though.
    Ah I see what you mean
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Bois de Mysore by Mizensir

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roky View Post
    When Andy reported on his saudi trip, he said that he has been gifted with a quality oud. If I remember correctly he told his blog readers that this oud inspired him to do this attar. Given the moderate price and the wide availability of this scent I have some doubt that there's (much) real oud in it. On the other hand: Andy not only sais he's doing things a bit differently - he actually does. So I wouldn't be surprised too much if he managed to put at least a bit of the real stuff in this. Just speculating
    Thanks for the input. Will wait and see what the man himself confirms first before springing!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah1919 View Post
    Luckyscent is not doing samples. Need to find a sample somewhere!
    strifeknot still has a couple of 1ml spots available on his split of Attar AT

It says "pre order" but I believe it's ready to ship now since he shipped mine already.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/428...ce-Patch-Flash

I have 2ml coming in two days.
    Last edited by thebeck; 8th November 2017 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    strifeknot still has a couple of 1ml spots available on his split of Attar AT

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/428...ce-Patch-Flash

I have 2ml coming in two days.
    Great, thanks!

My ladyfriend and I received it today.
    Here's our very first impressions.
    Comes in one of the most pretty presentations we both have seen for a long time. This cute bottle even has a filigrane Tauer logo embossed in the glass & heavy bakelite screw top. So this is by far more top notch than necessary (for us .
    At first it is ultra-dense, dark and strangely familiar. Reminded of something. It is oudy, really is, but in a non-Montale, non-Mancera kind of way. Strong floral and even fruity aspects as it develops, quite a bit of jasmine.
    At some point it reminded me in parts of Andy's L'Air-base in super-concentrate. It both of us reminded of my old floral-dirty'ish Maxim's pour Homme (a fave of mine), again in a super-concentrate.
    There's an enveloping creaminess as it moves on. Can get cloying, I guess, if applied too generously. Sandalwood plays a distinct role, but not as much as the labdanum.
    Applied it two hours ago. Going to sleep right now. Let's see what happens when waking up.
    We both used 4 dabs of it. It sits close but oh so powerful (no regular oil/attar wearers here) - so 5ml might last months. 79 Euros feel like a fair price to us for what it does right until now.
    Glad we own this.
    Last edited by Roky; 11th November 2017 at 06:24 AM. Reason: made it 10 Euros more expensive than it actually is

Basenotes Institution

Like Roky I smelled that familiar Tauer-ade accord (smoke, cresote?) but with a light non-invasive, non-barny oud. How nice. It's not crazy strong and yet it's very present, very *butch*. I can't wait to see how this develops over the day.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Like Roky I smelled that familiar Tauer-ade accord (smoke, cresote?) but with a light non-invasive, non-barny oud. How nice. It's not crazy strong and yet it's very present, very *butch*. I can't wait to see how this develops over the day.
    Can it compete with attars from Agaraura, Ensaroud, Sultan Pasha's grade-1 stuff, or is it "just" a Tauer perfume albeit in higher concentration? Does it have this synthetic vibe that all Tauer's seem to have?

Your description sounds like it has some similarities to "Lonestar Memories" which is one of the most disgusting perfumes I have ever smelled. I'm considering a blind buy but even a faint similarity would be terrible.
    Last edited by hoschhti; 15th November 2017 at 04:49 PM.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Vinyl can suck my Discman
    Currently wearing: Daria by Sammarco

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by hoschhti View Post
    Can it compete with attars from Agaraura, Ensaroud, Sultan Pasha's grade-1 stuff, or is it "just" a Tauer perfume albeit in higher concentration? Does it have this synthetic vibe that all Tauer's seem to have?

Your description sounds like it has some similarities to "Lonestar Memories" which is one of the most disgusting perfumes I have ever smelled. I'm considering a blind buy but even a faint similarity would be terrible.
    I need more time to answer your first question. And by no means, am I an expert on ouds...only having smelled a handful of ouds over the years. But I will re-post, after several wearings of the Tauer. This smells like an oud blend - not like oud. Hope that makes sense...

I do not think this smells like Lonesome Rider (which I happen to love).

-- Eckhart Tolle

Dear Mike (one of the first names on the internet I can remember from my early online perfume career - as a sandalwood lover, what do you think about the sandal used in AT? To my nose, I think it's voven in the floral, vanillic drydown phase that comes across on the next morning. I don't think it is a sandalwood dominated scent.

Hoschthi - right now, I'm comparing the AT side-by-side with the Lonestar Memories. (Of which I'm thinking as one of the most beautiful scents I've ever smelled). Well, there's certainly a very similar smoke note and drydown creamyness. On the other hand the floral, oud and woody notes are completely different to LM.

I'm wearing AT now for over a week and very much enjoy it, maybe get myself a backup. The oud note is especially nice as it is a clean, camphorous, almost minty sort of smell. Theres a green, dry herbal interplay with a non-indolic jasmine. I still get more than just a vague similarity to vintage Maxims pour Homme that has also jamine, herbal, sandal, vanilla and castoreum notes. AT wears close, more of an aura scent, but it's hellishly potent. Applied once or twice a day and there's still 5/6 of oil left in my bottle. My leather jacket has soaked the scent, even if I would never dab leather clotes with a perfume.
    The only problem is the filigrane bakelite top of the cap as it breaks easily. But there's a nice plastic/rubber screw top under it, so it doesn't leak at all.
    Pretty much impressed with this one.

Basenotes Institution

Dear Mike (one of the first names on the internet I can remember from my early online perfume career - as a sandalwood lover, what do you think about the sandal used in AT? To my nose, I think it's voven in the floral, vanillic drydown phase that comes across on the next morning. I don't think it is a sandalwood dominated scent...
    No, I don't think Attar AT is very sandalwood prominent at all. The sandalwood is there, doing it's woody base thing. It doesn't smell synthetic but it also doesn't smell creamy/lactonic/aged/resinous/etc. I am sure that the sandalwood contributes to the overall scent profile itself, of course, but wearing it I don't feel like it's a sandalwood-prominent attar. Which I am okay with...there are many sandalwood-prominent attars already on the market, done very well (Rising Phoenix Perfumery has a handful).

I think it was very interesting how this attar smelled buttery and aldehydic to my nose...in the most pleasing way. There is a niche scent line, January Scent Projects, and he has a scent called Selperniku that I have talked about on that thread, and gosh when I was wearing Attar AT I kept thinking of Selperniku...and it's unusual accord of butter. It had a rich creaminess that is very pleasing to my nose. The Tauer is smokier and richer, complex...the January Scent Projects is much more so a fragrance so it's airier and more radiant. The Tauer wears very close.

I am going to test the Tauer again soon and if I like it just as much as last time I am tempted to buy a backup bottle.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I sampled AT yesterday and again today. A couple of thoughts. First, I don't get any Tauerade or signature accords (for me that's a good thing) I wouldn't know this is Andy's work if I sampled blind.

Does this have oud in it? If it does my nose detects none. I have ouds from Ensar, Feel Oud, Rising Phoenix Perfumery etc - and they all smell distinctly oud. I think if it did have oud I would be able to detect, - it's really hard to hide oud, even in small amounts. I'm no expert and could be wrong. Maybe Andy will let us know. Typical of ouds I get a camphor mint smell(very light) which is typical for ouds. Many ouds choke me with their camphor note. Not interested in smelling like a hospital. Has Andy managed to dilute oud in a way to just get some of the top notes from oud, without it shouting - here I am? Or has he created an accord that mimics some aspects of oud? There are those notes that make you think you're smelling some oud, but so subtle they never call attention to themselves. It allows you to just enjoy the scent without it ever getting in the way.

Like "Rokey"in post #37 I get a nice non indolic jasmine floral with a creamy backdrop. For me this is a very simple super easy to wear masculine scent. Has a beautiful sweetish dry down. Wears close to the skin and not challenging or cloying in any shape or form. Simple smell with some tenacity.

Recommended, and at this price I think it's a bargain. The beauty of this attar - if there's oud, it's used in a very subtle supporting role. For me, oud in noticeable amounts would ruin this beauty of a scent.

I hope Andy sells this out quick and encourages him to make an entire attar line.

For me this is the best Andy has done since Carillon Pour Un Ange in 2010.

Don't expect a typical Eastern style attar. This is Andy's vision of a unique Western style attar - my words, not his...
    That's why I like - totally different and unexpected. Thanks Andy for the nice surprise of AT.

AT doesn't smell anything like Agaraura, Ensaroud,or Sultan Pasha's grade-1 stuff - and I do like their stuff. AT stands on its own for being distinctly different as it should - otherwise it would just be a copycat. The materials Andy used are good quality but surely not in the same league as Agaraura, Ensaroud, Sultan Pasha's grade-1 stuff, and for the price, you can't expect it either.

Even the bottle size of 5ml is Western. Not the typical Tola (12ml) 1/2 Tola(6ml) or 1/4 Tola(3ml).
    Last edited by thebeck; 23rd November 2017 at 08:31 PM.

Dependent

I think this reviewer has read my post:

http://takeonethingoff.com/blog/2017...r-at-a-review/
    Last edited by hoschhti; 20th November 2017 at 05:26 PM.

Basenotes Institution

What a great bunch of reviews!

I'm going to wear it tomorrow...

I see Luckyscent has it now ($89)

-- Eckhart Tolle

Dependent

I ordered a bottle directly from Andy. I have to smell for myself what the fuss is all about. Normally when I read reviews, the description on the website, the list of notes etc., I can already imagine how the perfume smells and when I actually smell it, my imagination and reality often concur (more or less). But with this Attar I have still no idea what really to expect.

So this is smoky birch tar leather, right?

Maybe it's time for me to get my first Tauer to my collection.
    Currently wearing: Bracken Man by Amouage

Basenotes Institution

I think the smoke note is very ash-like...almost like burning sage. But not aggressive.

Does anyone else smell fruit-like notes, when first applied? Sort of like Arabie by Serge Lutens without the syrup or sticky texture...

For the life of me I cannot smell jasmine. WTH

-- Eckhart Tolle

I think the smoke note is very ash-like...almost like burning sage. But not aggressive.

Does anyone else smell fruit-like notes, when first applied? Sort of like Arabie by Serge Lutens without the syrup or sticky texture...

For the life of me I cannot smell jasmine. WTH
    Yup, Mike, absolutely smelling fruity notes here. Also mint. The jasmine to me comes off as non indolic, supporting this fruity touch.

Hey, thebeck: nice to see some Carillon pour un Ange fans around here

Basenotes Institution

Yup, Mike, absolutely smelling fruity notes here. Also mint. The jasmine to me comes off as non indolic, supporting this fruity touch.

Hey, thebeck: nice to see some Carillon pour un Ange fans around here
    My BF smelled it on me and he smells the jasmine so I guess I must be anosmic to it. Today I put two swipes on and it was a bit too much...I need to not overapply this one. One swipe is enough yo.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Has anyone noticed some similarities to the oud notes of Oud Imperial, Perris?
    Smelling them side by side makes it quite clear.

Basenotes Institution

Has anyone noticed some similarities to the oud notes of Oud Imperial, Perris?
    Smelling them side by side makes it quite clear.
    Interesting. Haven't smelled anything from that line.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Dependent

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for the link hoschhti.

What do *you* think about it (I know you bought yours unsniffed)?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thanks for the link hoschhti.

What do *you* think about it (I know you bought yours unsniffed)?
    Yeah, Hoschhti, that's the reason I just came here, also

Further experience with this if interested:
    For both myself & my ladyfriend AT Attar is such a nice wear. In fact I'm wearing it everyday since we got it, and we bought a backup bottle, maybe getting another one.
    The reason why I enjoy this so much is, that it performs just the way I like it most from a perfime: It changes a lot and offers quite some entertainment throughout the day, it lasts a good while but isn't overpowering, more of a skin thing: Meanwhile I get minty, dark smoky, tarry, rose-like oudy, clean jasminic and dry vetiver aspects. I get woody-vanilla sweetness when waking up. Sometimes there's even a dry cedarwood, aromatic, quite oldschool smell. This is nice on cold days and there are these "gentle whafts", one hears a lot of talking about, but very pronounced, like an on/off thing and very surprising. Given this, AT feels calm, quiet, personal yet persisting.
    I still get my first comparisons with Oud Imperial and vintage Maxim's pour Homme clearly, but it also layers well with Andy's own L'Air, Kandahar Rose, Rose Flash and Lonestar Memories. So, overall this very well might be my 2017 discovery.

Further experience with this if interested:
    For both myself & my ladyfriend AT Attar is such a nice wear. In fact I'm wearing it everyday since we got it, and we bought a backup bottle, maybe getting another one.
    I am still using the sample version that was released prior to the 5ml, but plan to get a 5ml one soon.

So, out of interest, how long is that 5ml lasting for you? (I don't have much experience with roll-ons).
    No live organism can continue for love to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.

Basenotes Institution

Oh layering with Rose Flash sounds like a great idea Roky. I'll try that.

I see a full bottle in my future. Mine was just a 1 ml from strifeknot's split and I feel like I want to have more to last me.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Dependent

I didn't have the time (and nerves) to properly test it yet. I'm already totally caught in the Christmas stress, cleaning my flat, buying presents etc., and it's my birthday in a few days, so I have to prepare for that as well. When I have more time I will write a review.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    I am still using the sample version that was released prior to the 5ml, but plan to get a 5ml one soon.

So, out of interest, how long is that 5ml lasting for you? (I don't have much experience with roll-ons).
    Anthony ... so we are two persons. I'm wearing it excessively since about a month. She's wearing less of it. Right now we have used up 1/3 of a mini bottle. So this isn't too different to a 50ml Tauer in my view.
    The mini of AT is a splash btw.

Mike ... I'm not much of a layering person, but I'm doing it with oils, combining them with traditional EdCs sometimes. Layering Tauer was new for me. A nice combo with the AT also is layering it with Hermès Eau de Gentiane Blanche. This is exquisite. Have fun !
    Last edited by Roky; 3rd December 2017 at 06:55 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Sounds great Roky. I just got a sample of that Hermes, for my bday, so perfect timing.

I am wearing the Attar AT again today. I swear, for the life of me, I get absolutely no jasmine from this. So weird...

-- Eckhart Tolle