Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: A Brief Sampling of Henry Jacques Perfumes

Bumpety bump bump
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

I've tried all of the below in the form of oil on blotter strips, purecaramel was kind enough to dip them and mail them - or someone dipped, mailed to him, he mailed to me? Monsieur Camel can clarify if moved to. For anyone unfamiliar with the house of Henry Jacques, these come in 15ml dab/swipe bottles and cost between $550-$1,400/15ml bottle. So, on the pricey side.

Overall they are very nice. They smell luxurious for the most part. I'd love to smell some more of these, preferably in person, but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon (confined to the UK, I believe?). They have some orientals and rose/ouds that sound marvelous. Brief notes for a thread with "Brief" in the title

Musk Oil Black

Incense. Maybe patchouli too, but mostly myrrh & frank. This smells like a headshop incense I used to burn in my dorm room to cover the gravity bong ejecta. I can’t remember its name, only that it had a teal paint dipped on the stick. Unlike many of the other HJ items, this smells on the “cheap” side. Perhaps because of association with the cheap incense. Not a big fan.

Un Bello

Warm, spicy, floral, ambery. Can’t pinpoint the floral, but if I had to guess it’s some kind of gardenia-type thing. A bit of a liturgical incense vibe. Very rich, very dense, feminine-leaning. Not for the younger crowd.

Dorilene

Aldehydic, rose-floral, white-floral, slightly resinous. Reminds me of a mix of No.22 and some woody-incense scent. Remarkable that the aldehydes, typically confined to top notes, are present on a blotter that has been in a plastic bag for months. Big and boisterous presence. Actually, smells a bit like Malle’s Superstitious. I really like this, but far too femme for me to wear personally – more femme than the Malle, which I’d wear in a heartbeat. For the non-rose florals I’d guess LotV or freesia or something like that. A real beauty.

Wood Gardens

Resins, woods, florals, something sweet, magic markers? A bit of an odd one, although quite pleasant. It smells like resinous sandal and cedarwood with a hint of sweetness (tonka or vanilla?). The “resins” I mentioned aren’t necessarily plant/incense resins in the typical sense, it smells more like resinous wood. Then there is a magic marker vibe, slightly medicinal and a bit plasticky. These have been in a plastic bag for a while, perhaps that. Perhaps some thin Trat oud. Sniffing 5 minutes later, it’s definitely an oud-y vibe. I know these are purported to contain only naturals, and maybe they do, but this “oud” smells like the oud in M7, aka synth oud. Still nice, but not like the distilled oils I know and love.

White Musk Oil

Well, it smells like white musk. The laundry variant, but somehow a bit more plushed out. Objectively, I like the smell of laundry/white musk scents. They smell better than nothing. Subjectively, I’m a bit tired of their usual use. Smelling this alone kind of reminds me of an expensive lotion – I prefer my lotions unscented. There is the tiniest hint of that same LotV/freesia floral component. This was one of the faintest remaining smells.

Yasminale

Mostly white musk, even more than the White Musk Oil. This time instead of LotV/freesia, I smell jasmine and a sweeter floral like honeysuckle. Luxurious soap. Another for the older crowd. Smells nice and feminine. Not that exciting though.

Merveilleuse

Very similar to a number of old-school masculines, and some feminines too. Chyproid/fougere structure – mossy, some spices, something green and earthy. It reminds me very much of a specific fragrance whose name currently escapes me. It was a masculine that I first smelled early on in the hobby, long time ago. Perhaps a touch of sandalwood in here too. I like it.

Ulysses Bleu Men

Fresh citrus fruits, a little smoky, patchouli, woods (maybe sandal). Very polished and fine smelling masculine. I hate to go here, but it smells like a Creed – a mix between the creativity and quality blending of their older gray cap EdT’s but with a more modern (2005+) structure and ingredients. Okay I’ll just say it…I get a bit of an Aventus vibe. Not the scent itself, but the fresh polished fruity/musky/woody vibe. The Aventus I have is from 2012 and well, I won’t go that far in a Henry Jacques thread. I like this.

Thanks PC! This are interesting in that they remind me of many modern perfumes but some of them have that little extra oomph that puts them into smelling like true luxury products.

Basenotes Plus

IsoEsuperman, thanks to the description purecamel gave to me my fiancée and I were able to test some of these on our skin and the wonderful SAs were able to card them all up for my fiancé. Had not seen them before as I usually stop at the Xerjoff boutique,,,,,, and two steps away next door is Henry Jacques.

These are really high end luxury and just when you think oh they can’t get any better ( and more crazy expensive) you experience these. As I was wearing a silk scarf I put dabs on my scarf as I was getting confused between the ones they let me dab away on my skin. The scarve is like a magic carpet ride and is really being put to good use at the moment.

They come in 15ml and 30ml beautiful bottles. Many many smackers to Camel man for being my enabler in these, as they are exquisite.

They had two beautiful limited editions which I have a photograph of. Photography is no longer allowed but the SA let me snap away at two bottles and then I added a long swipe to my scarf. These two bottles were a very limited run and only one of each was left. And I can’t remember the price it was so crazy I think either £1500 or £2100 but I may be mistaken as I was thinking this is mad.

My fiancé put his set of blotters into a type of science/forensic science bag thing but will try and get them off him tomorrow and compare notes.

Not sure if I agree with Ulysses as I specifically asked my fiancé to try that, and it was not like his Viking at all. But then I come from the island of Ulysses so it might have been I was convinced it was for him in any case. Hoping to go this week and take some silk pieces to dab on so can see which ones are the standouts and will report back. The ambrose and the rose oud were probably the best I have tried in this genre

Hope all is well

sea roses

PS camel man is a complete darling for helping me finding these.
    "For the wise it is easy to go anywhere. Because the whole world is home to a good soul"....Democritus 470-370BC

Hi Purecaramel.

I have recently discovered the Henry Jacques stand on the 6th floor of Harrods. My what I have been missing. Soudain l'Hiver is astounding, as are many others.

In your post 24.12.2017 you mention 'Wood Gardens' and list the notes. The subsequent 'this is the bomb' is in capitals and I'm presuming that is a typo and is not another perfume but your description of Wood Gardens?

Many thanks for your reviews as sampling this house is nigh on impossible.

Hi PureCaramel. Thank you for the valuable post. HJ is a wonderful house to explore. I have yet to try Angelina and from notes pyramid and your description it feels quite similar to Jeannice? Do you happen to prefer one over the other? Thank you very much.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Klaude View Post
    Hi PureCaramel. Thank you for the valuable post. HJ is a wonderful house to explore. I have yet to try Angelina and from notes pyramid and your description it feels quite similar to Jeannice? Do you happen to prefer one over the other? Thank you very much.
    My view of Henry Jacques scents are that structure is very Classical and Conservative. Focus seems to be upon Quality Synthetic and Naturals
    Of what I have briefly sampled, on paper, have been flavors , that form part of, I gather a Basic Commercial Product.
    I have made the offer to purchase with Delivery to Canada. There has been no response.
    A perfumer or indeed any business,that shows no interest in serving my wants or needs,well, quite frankly holds little interest for me to do a deep compare.
    Now if you would like to compare the differences of say Fazzolari Vintage Au Dela Narcisse des Montagnes and later Au Dela Narcisse of today I'm all aboard.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Klaude View Post
    My view of Henry Jacques scents are that structure is very Classical and Conservative. Focus seems to be upon Quality Synthetic and Naturals
    Of what I have briefly sampled, on paper, have been flavors , that form part of, I gather a Basic Commercial Product.
    I have made the offer to purchase with Delivery to Canada. There has been no response.
    A perfumer or indeed any business,that shows no interest in serving my wants or needs,well, quite frankly holds little interest for me to do a deep compare.
    Now if you would like to compare the differences of say Fazzolari Vintage Au Dela Narcisse des Montagnes and later Au Dela Narcisse of today I'm all aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    Hi Purecaramel. I am sorry to hear that they did not respond to you. Glad that still plenty of impressive houses out there. Appreciate your reply nonetheless.