Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dependent

Default SOTD: Sunday, 22nd October, 2017

Scent of the Day Thread for Sunday, 22nd October, 2017

Useful Links
    * SOTD for yesterday, Saturday, 21st October, 2017 (FFD)
    * SOTD for yesterday, Saturday, 21st October, 2017 (MFD)
    * SOTD Feature

Members celebrating a birthday on Sunday, 22nd October, 2017
    AdamCarver98, EmanuelGomes862, deaftolight, aaron2406, barclaydetolly, Javiero, RobSanjuan2, Fp102281, Ladonah, eyeballjake, krooze, joelle, Khalid Almutairi, Circo, Suspended, myrrhman,

Basenotes Robot's SOTD
    Today I'm wearing: Féminité du Bois by Serge Lutens

Bloop bloop bleep

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: SOTD: Sunday, 22nd October, 2017

Sugar by Franck Boclet

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Pure Tonka

Freed from BN Institution

Continuing the 4160 Tuesdays sampling with Time to Draw the Raffle Numbers

hello all,

Wishing you all a good day!!!

SOTD:

Oriental Essence Collection : Roi d'Orient
    by Rituals

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Still looking for Big Bottle of Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all.

The SA gave me a sample yesterday so wearing L'Art et la Matière : Rose Barbare by Guerlain
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all !. Yesterday's "storm" never really happened for us. We had a moderate breeze and the odd shower but it was ultimately a non-event.

Hit a few perfumeries and came away with a number of ideas and one purchase which is today's SotD.

Acqua Di Parma - Colonia Pura.

This retains the dna of the original Colonia but adds a fresher / floral and more contemporary twist. I expect it to get panned by the experts but I really don't give a damn. I love it.

Also had a big surprise in finding the first fragrance from the hugely disappointing (for me anyway) Juliet Has A Gun that has real potential. Primrose and (I think) thediamondsea waxing lyrical about Oil Fiction prompted a sampling and I came away seriously impressed. Seems to stride an excellent balance between retro and contemporary and the rich iris accord is to die for. Further investigation is inevitable with this one.

Pleased to report that Larimar is bang on with his assessment of the current Vol De Nuit EDT. I always considered previous versions to be a waste of shelf space but the one we tried in Fortnum and Mason was extremely good and I would have no hesitation in recommending it.

ExtremeK, we didn't get around to trying Bracken Woman but it is on the to do list

thediamondsea, many congratulations on your news - you must be thrilled

PerfumedLady, those bridge pictures were stunning. Thank you for sharing
    Currently wearing: KL Homme by Lagerfeld

20171018_125901.jpg20171018_101527.jpg

As requested - a few potos of our holiday on the Cote d'Azur last week. I have no idea why they are side-on!! The first is of the coast at Nice and the second is a soap stall in the Cours Saleya, Nice.
    I took a few samples of Mitsouko and Le Parfum de Therese with me and wore those
    during the vacation.
    Today I am in Datura Noir.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Empreinte by Courrèges

in a fragrant coma always

Amber Gris - Balmain.

kewart Oooo! Soaps! I'd have gone broke, buying from him. I love bar soap.
    blah, blah, blah...
    Currently wearing: Patchouli by Molinard

Good morning all,

Thanks for sharing these romantic (to me) pics of old bridges, PerfumedLady! There is still one looking exactly the same near my hometown.
    Thanks to Shades for confirming with regard to Ambre Doré and Soir d'Orient!
    And I am thrilled to hear Jon's nose is approving of my assessment for the new design Vol de Nuit EdT!
    Kewart, Thanks for posting it's always good to see Nice!

I can still smell the remainders of yesterday's vintage Shalimar extrait on fabric and I'll keep enjoying it for a bit longer.

Have a nice Sunday!

Blog Entries

Morning all, & Happy Birthday to Suspended!

Thanks for the pics kewart, l love soaps too!

lt's bright & breezy here today, & feeling chilly. We're off out for lunch & several beers, l'm wearing Alien Liqueur de Parfum.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    20171018_125901.jpg20171018_101527.jpg

As requested - a few potos of our holiday on the Cote d'Azur last week. I have no idea why they are side-on!! The first is of the coast at Nice and the second is a soap stall in the Cours Saleya, Nice.
    I took a few samples of Mitsouko and Le Parfum de Therese with me and wore those
    during the vacation.
    Today I am in Datura Noir.
    *sob* I love Nice! Lucky lucky lucky you .

Yes, Jon, that was me raving about Oil Fiction. I have to be in the mood for it, because wearing it is kind of a commitment--but it is freaking fantastic.

It's still dark outside (it's that time of year where the sun doesn't appear until well after 7--which will change very shortly, as Daylight Savings is coming). We were supposed to get a big storm last night; I heard a huge crack of thunder earlier, but I can't really tell if it rained or not. I guess I should try actually sticking my head outside of the house, but that would involve getting out of bed for real, and I'm not ready for that yet. But I woke up unaccountably early (5-6 ish) and was in the mood for some Myrrhe Ardente, which is currently very high on my wishlist--and also, sadly, disco'd, so I'll probably have to make do with my decant and get on with my life. But wearing this is so comforting and perfect for autumn--it's not too sweet, and it seriously reminds me of the inside of a tobacco shop more than anything else--the slight dampness mixed with bitterness and a little bit of benzoin . . . and myrrh, of course, one of the most soothing things on earth. I really do love it, but the prices I've seen for full bottles on eBay are extortionate. (C'mon, DS; move on, sister . .. .)
    The road to excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
    --William Blake

Basenotes Plus

Hello and best to all. Happy birthday, Suspended!

SOTD is Serge Lutens Chergui. Wish you all a lovely day.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Tabac Blond by Caron

Have a good one, Suspended!

It feels like a decidedly Stashish type day today.

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    Amber Gris - Balmain.

kewart Oooo! Soaps! I'd have gone broke, buying from him. I love bar soap.
    I actually bought a soap scented with pastis! Sounds a bit weird but it smells really good. I could spend hours
    and a small fortune in Cours Saleya. Fragonard has a lovely shop there too.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Empreinte by Courrèges

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Creed Neroli Sauvage.

Currently wearing: KL Homme by Lagerfeld

in a fragrant coma always

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    I actually bought a soap scented with pastis! Sounds a bit weird but it smells really good. I could spend hours
    and a small fortune in Cours Saleya. Fragonard has a lovely shop there too.

I refuse anymore, to buy mass-produced bar soaps. [ I detest liquid soap. ] I'll purchase mass quantities of handmade soap or French triple milled, remove the wrappers, and let them dry out for a year or more. They last much longer, this way.

Wearing pretty much nothing but favorites this weekend. On to, Angel by Mugler.
    blah, blah, blah...
    Currently wearing: Patchouli by Molinard

Good morning, all!

Kewart, your photos are lovely. I love the soap shop and all of the bright colors. I'll bet it smelled divine!

It's properly chilly here this morning, so on goes the down vest for a quick trip to the grocery.

I'm sampling Parfum d'Empire Tabac Tabou -- it's shot through with a lovely goldness and isn't nearly as heavy/sticky-sweet as other tobacco fragrances. The immortelle also seems to be behaving itself, which is an unusual treat.

Blog Entries

Back from the pub, & we've put the heating on for the first time this autumn.

Champagne de Bois this evening.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Wearing MFK's Grand Soir today. Thank goodness it's getting cooler.

Hugs to all who wish one!

Happy birthday Suspended.
    "You smell like sunshine and happiness."
    Currently wearing: Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

Hi all,

Happy Sunday! My scent of the day is French Lover. I’ve worn it a few times recently and I’m growing very fond of it. It’s a big, green, woodsy vetiver. I keep reading it’s the ultimate masculine but it works great on me. I like the bold ones sometimes.

Happy birthday, Suspended!

Have a good day.
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Good afternoon, everyone! We definitely got some rain last night, but the sun is already out and it's a nice albeit damp day. I'm still feeling autumnal after all the cloudiness, so I'm wearing part of a sample of CdG Floriental, a handsome and kind of spicy perfume that feels in both mood and color a lot like Annick Goutal's Mon Parfum Cheri Par Camille and Coco conceived a replicant love-child: there's something pleasantly and unabashedly synthetic in here, which I think has something to do with the clove note(s). Or maybe it's more like MPCherie, Coco, and Kenzo L'Elephant had a three-way--it has something that smells like concrete, which I think is a lot of Cashmeran, and when I spell spicy Cashmeran I think of L'Elephant (speaking of which, I really miss the bottle of that I traded away. I should maybe replace it . . . ).

--William Blake

Freed from BN Institution

My SOTE 4160 Tuesdays Doe in the Snow.

Basenotes Institution

Lazy day...I've been in Mysore Sandalwood all day. This was a 'new' distillation, given to me as a sample, when I bought some vintage Mysore from Imperial Oud (UK). It's great. It's not on the market yet, but he offered me some to buy, so I might jump at it. It's very well done & would only continue to age and improve if I bought some and stowed it away.

Going to get sun after I eat my roast beef lunch (I made homemade gravy from the pan juices...first time I ever made gravy!) and then I am going to workout and might go to the local sauna for some steam/sauna relaxation!
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Je Reviens by Worth

Smellcheck

OMG it's Suspended's birthday! And I didn't find out til mid-afternoon, so by the time I think of something sufficiently smart-alecky to say, the day will be over!

Maybe I'll just comfort myself with a few more sprays of Eau de Guerlain:

Last edited by Cook.bot; 22nd October 2017 at 08:18 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Lazy day...I've been in Mysore Sandalwood all day. This was a 'new' distillation, given to me as a sample, when I bought some vintage Mysore from Imperial Oud (UK). It's great. It's not on the market yet, but he offered me some to buy, so I might jump at it. It's very well done & would only continue to age and improve if I bought some and stowed it away.

Going to get sun after I eat my roast beef lunch (I made homemade gravy from the pan juices...first time I ever made gravy!) and then I am going to workout and might go to the local sauna for some steam/sauna relaxation!
    Really? Congratulations! Gravy is so easy, and when you have pan juices there's nothing nicer.

I'm just fresh from my first experience with Lush's Rose Jam shower gel, and I think I had a minor religious experience while I was using it. It's so intense that I'm just sort of marinating in it for the moment. It's worth noting that CdG's Floriental barely budged even after a pretty vigorous scrub, which is fine because I like it, and it plays very nicely with the Rose Jam. I'll probably do a spritz of Femme du Bois before we head out; we're celebrating my sister-in-law's birthday today, and on the way there I have a cute outfit waiting for me at the local Loft store. I bought it online and I hope it fits--their pants usually hit me just right or a little short, so fingers crossed.
    --William Blake

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

SOTE: XXL Live by Daniel Hechter

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.