Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Default Re: Trick or Treat Celebuscent Blind Sniff

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    You saw the meat dress in person?! Did it stink? I've always wondered. Eau de Gaga was the best. I agree. And I also agree that's JLo scents are the worst. Except for maybe Bieber.
    Lol, lol! Cracking up at all of this! Bieber, now there’s a celeb whose scents I’d be prejudiced against. Have never smelled but pretty sure I won’t like. Would have to smell his blind for them to stand a chance.

I was worried the meat dress would stink! But it did not. I saw it at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (the installment was Women Who Rock, saw lots of great stuff) and they told us it had been treated with preservatives, which did darken it some. But incredibly, no stink! I don’t know how long this preservation can hold though; it’s possible that the meat dress is no longer by now.

Basenotes Junkie

Oh my goodness, there has been so much great discussion here! I have to play catch up now! Ugh, I think my posts are going to be a mess unless I break them up into chunks again. So, let's go chronologically.

I can't wait to hear what you think of the others, IsoESuperman!

cestrum, on the topic of the popularity of sweeties across generations, I don't know. My mom is diabetic, so that might be a factor. She used to wear Chanel No. 5 extrait for formal occasions in the 80's. She also wore others like Ombré Rose, Lou Lou, Boucheron, and Sun, Moon, and Stars. She seems to have flowed with the trends. In the late 90's and early 2000's she wore Helmut Lang, Cashmere Mist, then Pivoine Angel. I think the sweeties thing started with the Angel flanker. She then wore Bvlgaru Blv Notte with the bourbon vanilla note. Then she wore Marc Jacobs Lola and Viva La Juicy. These days it's La Vie est Belle or Muse. So that's a short history of her. I think it also worth mentioning that her husband of ten years is severely diabetic, eats poorly for it, and has strongly influenced her tastes.

The woman on the janitorial staff at my building who wears Angel is also in her sixties.

I actually feel like fruitchoulis and patchouli sweeties like Coco Mademoiselle, La Vie est Belle, perhaps Coco Noir... that they took off with a far older group than had been intended. Note that the new fragrances from the big houses (Gabrielle, Gucci Bloom, Ralph Lauren Woman, etc.) are going in a less sweet, more creamy floral direction. They are using muses like J'Adore and Narciso Rodriguez, or even Fracas, rather than Angel.
    Kotori, thank you for sharing and discussing the evolution of perfume tastes as you have witnessed with your own mom. I love hearing about this type of thing, as a sort of case study! It is so interesting. I also love that you know all of the perfumes she has worn over the years! Your mom sounds very progressive and fun in her perfume tastes and that is wonderful! I think while a lot of us may find it fun to explore, others may see it as an onerous task, perhaps in part due to the fact that mall perfume counters can have some pretty bad stuff now, and it is often heavily pushed by SAs. The last time I went into an Ulta, I sniffed a few mainstream releases and actually sprayed a few on my skin. I regretted it instantly! Lol! I have a hard time convincing my mom to try new perfumes and was delighted when I managed to gift her with something that became a new favorite. (Goutal’s Matin d’Orage) My mom definitely dislikes a lot of scents, including sweet ones. She is one person who I know I can always trust to tell me just exactly what she thinks of my perfumes or sillage, lol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Good points, Kotori! I've thought about age and fruitchoulis a lot, too. Coco Mad is my mainstream fruitchouli of choice. I was right in the target group age when it was released. And I've aged with it and worn it into my middle years. Yet have been made to feel that it's too pinky and immature for me when reading around the perfume community. But it has always surprised me how often I smell it on women who are quite a bit older than myself. A happy surprise, that is!

While I do think this category can appeal across many ages, I really think it's the ones with a heavy praline accord that the younger generation likes best. I have goddaughters in their 20's and can't see them ever wearing the prominently patchouli CM. They tell me it's nice but not for them, lol. But the heavily sweetened La Vie est Belle, I think they'd like more, but still see it as something they'd buy for their mom. I suspect they'd prefer something like Gabrielle over fruitchouli altogether. As a trend, fruitchouli is long in the tooth (trends hang on too long these days, but that's another discussion). I think we're starting to see a younger generation come into adulthood who want their own trends.

As far as CM and pinkness/age are concerned, my question is this-had I been in my 20s when say, Opium came out, and continued to wear it, would Opium then be "too young" for me now? I think not. So what's wrong with wearing scents that were aimed at my generation? Nothing. There's nothing wrong with wearing a perfume from any era, if you enjoy it.

So that's my fruitchouli rant for the day, on to E! As mentioned, I do know what this is. I doubt I could have guessed it but it does make perfect sense. Strawberry/apple/very generic, vague red fruit scented no-tears shampoo, bubble gum and scented erasers. Seems to be mainly about fruit with no real base. I don't dislike this, either. Too much berry/vague red fruit for me but I don't find it badly done. For me, the worst of the bunch is C. Bad, bad C.

PerfumedLady, thank you for your input too! I am of the same mind, in so many ways! I especially loved your statement that I put in bold. Yes, that is the bottom line! lol. And like you, I would expect that most people would find scents that they like at whatever age and continue liking them throughout life, unless striking reformulation or a change of tastes occurs. It makes perfect sense to me that something that one likes as a 20 year old may still be a favorite through the years. In my own case, my tastes in some perfumes has remained unchanged since I was a preschooler! lololol...

I did not know that the “pinkness” of CM had been an issue here! It’s not Pink Sugar, after all! Lol! For whatever it’s worth, I think CM is still widely popular and worn quite a bit. In my experience, it is one that I smell most commonly on beautifully put together women on the Westside of LA. I have smelled CM wafting nicely in Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Santa Monica and various places in between, so you have a lot of company over here.

Of course there is absolutely nothing wrong with anyone of any age wearing whatever, be it Pink Sugar or La Vie est Belle, but I guess I am just surprised that apparently many women outside of the 20-30-something-year-old demographic might be attracted to the current candied perfumes, when they grew up with so many wonderful perfumes and saw and smelled new releases that we now consider modern or newer classics-- like stuff from the 70s and 80s. It is interesting to hear of the opinions of your goddaughters, PL. I was under the impression that the sweet pink fruity florals were still all the rage with this group, at least for going out or to social events. I can see these as being viewed as not entirely office or classroom appropriate. A few 20-some year olds that I met or socialized with recently were wearing sweet things, and I am pretty sure I smelled Flowerbomb and some other similar type scent at a bar with people who were so young that I felt a bit old, lol! Well, at any rate, it is enjoyable to see the trends and learn about what people of all ages are wearing.
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Maybe I will revisit and try to pick out more notes later.
    IsoE, I forgot to mention that this last line that I quoted just shows what a blind sniff warrior you are, given these scents, lol!!!! I am still very impressed with your sniffing notes! Not only funny, but you were very spot on, despite so many of the scents being of poor construction! I think you were the only participant who sensed the violet leaf in Eau de Gaga. I smell that rather strongly in it. Your reviews on B, Taylor, and E, Hello Kitty, were hilarious!!!! I had never heard of such hideous vodka, and cannot imagine drinking something like that, but I can see how the Hello Kitty could be related, at least smell wise! I do still feel a twinge of guilt over making so many people suffer with these scents! I am not sure there was enough Pocky for it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    A - Eau de Gaga by Lady Gaga - I thought it was unisex leaning masculine, but she likes to dress up, so I think it's a good fit.

B - Taylor by Taylor Swift - I think I like the perfume more than her music.

C - Live by J. Lo - This is a great fit - the perfume is as annoying as those songs that can get stuck in my head.

D - Carlos Santana for Men by Carlos Santana - It roughly matches Santana, but they could have done better by him.

E - Hello Kitty by Demeter - Perfect fit.
    Lol, perfect summations. I especially agree on B! I had her confused/conflated with Karlie Kloss! oops.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Thank-you so much for organizing the sniff. It was a lot of fun!

As for the reveal, I wouldn't have thought that Lady Gaga would have been a quiet and polite tea floral. The "eau" name is not inappropriate either. Sparkling water accord is a novelty in marketing.

Taylor Swift sounds about right for B. Another novelty note with hydrangea.

JLo has done better stuff for sure. Peony, redcurrant, and caramel are typical invocations of demonic perfumery.

And poor Hello Kitty! Animal protection needs to be notified. This is the first demeter I have smelled that lasts for more than 60 seconds; this probably also explains why demeters ought to smell only for 15 seconds. As for the notes, there must be some prize for red, green, and yellow apple.

cacio
    cacio, OMG! Demonic invocations and animal control! You had me literally LOLing at these comments! And indeed, the various colors of apple as notes for Hello Kitty were just so absurd, there should be a prize for that! And you are very welcome! Thank you again for participating!!!! I always enjoy being able to virtually explore perfumes with you!

Ha! I actually guessed C! Sort of...
    And I am amazed that you remembered Live by J.Lo well enough to place it fairly immediately! Great nose and memory!!!

Definitely did not see Eau de Gaga coming! But it gives me a chance to mention that I saw her meat dress in person. Just a weird little fact I thought I'd share. Her Fame was not bad, either. But this one is even better. I think it's the best of the group.

I probably would have chosen B as my favorite had I never smelled Burberry Women. I like the idea but BW executes it so much better. I suspect I'd find Fancy better constructed, too and will seek that one out to try.

C, not even surprised. Have never smelled, seen or heard anything with JLo's name on it that was any good. Her perfumes have always seemed among the very worst of celebuscents to my nose. I knew I recognized that plastic note!

Thank you so much, cestrum! I had so much fun! While Pocky was my favorite thing in the package, I certainly wouldn't turn away Eau de Gaga. Glad to know this one. And I learned a lot, I feel. I no longer fear the Blind Sniffs!
    You are very welcome! Thank you again for participating!!!! Ugh, the meat dress! Did is smell of aldehydes, perchance? Formaldehyde??? lol... ewww, I am so grossed out just by thinking of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Wow, the JLo was done by Dominique Ropion! WTH!? Yep, pineapple in the top notes.
    Mike, OMG, you almost made me lose my mind over this pineapple comment! I was appalled at myself, thinking that apparently I could not read a pyramid of a few notes and report back properly!!!!(???) But then I went back and looked, and I think it was B, Taylor, in which you found pineapple, not C, Live, which indicates a pineapple note. Or did you get pineapple with that one too? I do think the sweet/sour fruitiness in these cheapies gives an illusion of pineapple, as Kotori also found pineapple in another scent, and I can completely see (smell?) how that impression would arise. Anyway, whatever the case, I hope I did not miss notes or mislead in a complete host fail! I am sorry if you smelled pineapple in C and I missed noting that, too!

Thank you, cestrum-- This has been a blast! You can make me sniff stuff blind anytime if Pocky is part of the deal. Has anyone tried the Cookies & Cream flavor? My grocery store has them...
    Ok-- Now for the STORY, right cestrum?

Eau de Gaga fragrance notes

Sparkling water accord, Lime, Leather

Sparkling water accord? Really? By that they mean mojito tea accord? No wonder I couldn't find it on any searches by notes!

Taylor fragrance notes

Top Notes
    Lychee, Tangerine, Magnolia
    Heart Notes
    Peony, Hydrangea, Vanilla orchid
    Base notes
    Sandalwood, Apricot, Cashmere musk, Woods

I knew I smelled fake magnolia and fake sandalwood! And instead of peach, it was apricot. Later I realized I had a sample of something that smelled like this from an earlier present from cestrum, and determined what it was. Of course, I had to keep quiet. That doesn't come easily to me.

Live fragrance notes

Top Notes
    Lemon, Orange, Pineapple
    Heart Notes
    Peony, Violet, Redcurrant
    Base notes
    Caramel, Tonka Beans, Vanilla, Sandalwood

Peony and fruit I smelled... but caramel? Really? Although didn't someone mention caramel and Tonka?

Carlos Santana for Men Notes

Cinnamon, Leather, Cypress, Sandalwood, Tonka Bean, Amber, Patchouli, Lavender, Mandarin Orange, Musk, Benzoin, Vanilla, Apple, Cedar, And Bergamot.

Lavender and Tonka, definitely. Not sure where I got pineapple.

Sanrio - Hello Kitty fragrance notes

Red apple, Green apple, Yellow apple

Hmmm... No. I call foul. It smells nothing like apple.
    Kotori, you are very welcome and thank you for participating! I am so happy that the Pocky was such a good bribe, lolol…. I have not tried Cookies and Cream Pocky, but sounds yummy! And thank you for posting the notes for the scents. I was going to do that when I posted my reviews for the scents, but now I don't have to!!! yay!
    ~ Henri Matisse

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by thediamondsea View Post
    Wow! To tell you guys the truth, I was kind of hoping that one of these would be from Chez Gaga, because those perfumes generally get good notices around the internets. (I had kinda hoped for Chez Simpson for the same reason (and not just because she's from Texas ); I'm not a fan of hers, in that I don't think I'd be able to pick out her music from the background noise of same-y pop music, but my shoe guy at Nordstrom told me that she outsources her shoe line to the folks at BCBG, and I thought that was pretty smart (and the shoes really are well-made and usually cute--it's my go-to line for flats, especially, because they're easy to find at the discounters' sites); I figured there might be some similar thinking with the perfume line, and that's really as much as I could ask from a celeb's eponymous *anything*--that they don't stint on quality, and that they keep the prices fair, and that, at the very least, they don't offer the punters anything that they wouldn't wear themselves, you know?
    Yes, Eau de Gaga had so many good reviews that I figured it would be interesting to try. This is a particularly glowing review on Bois de Jasmin. https://boisdejasmin.com/2014/10/lad...me-review.html

And the line I put in bold: That would be ideal, but I think the aspects you mention are huge/almost impossible things to expect from celebuscents, lol! Eau de Gaga was shockingly acceptable/fairly good, and a few of Sarah Jessica Parker's scents have good reviews and she is apparently interested in fragrance-- Lovely gets a lot of attention, and Stash, too, as I think Cook.bot mentioned earlier up thread, but by and large, I do not think celebrities have much input or would ever truly like or wear their own stuff. It's so hard to prove such a thing, so they can all claim whatever they want, or let the marketing team claim whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by thediamondsea View Post
    Does anyone know why, or how, Hello Kitty has anything to do with apples?
    This :

Eating her mama's apple pie is her favorite pastime according to the Sanrio/Demeter description. Hello Kitty has been around since we were little girls, as you know, and I remember nothing having to do with apples. But there you have it!
    I think I remember seeing an apple somewhere near her in some images, but that is about it. LOL!
    ~ Henri Matisse

Basenotes Junkie

Ok, so I feel like I am spamming my own thread, but here are the reviews that I've been writing on the fragrances in this blind sniff. I also added some other notes on why I included these in the blind sniff, generally as the last paragraph in each section.

(A)Eau de Gaga

Opens as a bright citrus cologne (lime, orange, neroli) and has a sharp, fresh feel, accentuated by a hint of mint. It quickly grows more herbal; I sense a rather lovely sage note in addition to a light aquatic note, keeping the herb from being too dry or dusty. There seems to be a violet leaf aspect that is slightly masculine and clean. It is sweetened with a lightly floral, jasminey hedione plus a green tea note, making for a refreshing scent in conjunction with the citrus, neroli and greenish herbs. It grows slightly fruity, but in a nondescript sort of way, perhaps even with a touch of sweet fennel or anise. Hedione, woody sage, tea, the aquatic aspect, and probably ambroxan mostly continue through the drydown. At the end, I sense something of the generic men’s aftershave vibe, likely from the dreaded dihydromyrcenol, but it is mercifully faint. The deep drydown is more enjoyable than expected, with a sort of dry, leathery vetiver that goes nicely with the herbs and almost makes up for the cheapness of the dihydromyrcenol. Overall, it is a fairly sound, if not exciting fragrance. Aspects of it remind me vaguely of the following: old fashioned cologne (e.g., 4711) CKOne, Arden Green Tea, and Eau Sauvage. The sage like note and jasminey hedione actually brought to mind a certain aspect of L’AP Caligna in a very small but surprising and pleasant way! It smells very much unisex, possibly leaning a bit masculine.

I wore this scent twice, and both times bf complimented me on the fragrance. He does not compliment me much on fragrances. I think I was gardening both times that I wore it, and it was absolutely suitable for the job and went nicely with the scent of dirt and whatever plants and things I was trimming. It wore very close to the skin, however was long lasting (the Ambroxan, most likely) and this seems to be similar to what the participants experienced.

For this blind sniff, I selected this scent and placed it as the first sample because I suspected that it would be the easiest celebuscent to wear and tolerate across. I did not want to scare too many of the participants right at the start. I was also shocked that Lady Gaga would come up with such scent. The packaging is also very clean and minimal, clearly copying from such lines as By Kilian. It looks fairly nice but the box and liner are very cheap though. I forget how the sprayer is, but usually these celebuscents have the worst spray mechanisms that spray overly generous amounts with no hopes of controlling the volume with pressure… Sort of all or nothing sprayers!

(B) Taylor by Taylor Swift

This opens with a blast of very sweet apricot brandy atop vanilla, soft woods (cashmeran) and some amber to warm it up. A slightly salty, tangy note makes the sugary fruit a little more complex. There are some supporting florals, but no readily identifiable notes. The floral aspect is creamy although not lush or dense, somewhat like a stripped down rose, ylang, LotV accord perhaps with some lemon added for freshness. The woody note seems closer to a fake sandalwood, and the thick, sweet, fruity notes fade slowly, and it wears down to something very similar to Burberry. This comes across as fairly linear, with no real surprises or complex evolution. To my nose, it is more feminine than Burberry, based on the added sweetness and apricot scent. It is simple and fairly linear, but on occasion, I do sense a clean, powdery musk in the drydown.

Ok, so I am afraid of making bf sound like a complete perfume philistine, but he really likes this fragrance on me. And the cat, too, since apparently it rubs off on one of the cats when I carry him. And I will admit that I do actually like this one myself! It *is* sweet, but sometimes I like that. It does not smell overly synthetic to me and I’ve loved apricot brandy since I was a child, so there you go… booze nostalgia. Perhaps related to my childhood drinking, I completely confused and conflated Taylor Swift with Karlie Kloss. They are in fact, two different people. I had thought that the Taylor of the perfume was also encouraging girls to learn to write computer code, so I had thought that was really, really cool. Anyway, I was wrong. (And I’m kidding about the drinking, although the taste and smell of apricot brandy is a real childhood memory.)

I included this one in the blind sniff because I did not think it was too bad! And given the similarity to Burberry for women, which I know PerfumedLady and Bavard both like, I thought it would be a nice surprise for them and possibly others. I am still shocked that it drew so much ire! I would never have guessed!

(C ) Live by Jennifer Lopez

Opens with a nuclear fruit cocktail accord that seems to contain both sweet and sour elements of both traditional and tropical fruits, or at least the synthetic flavors that try to approximate such. The main fruit seems to be a fake sort of berry. However, it does not really recall any specific real fruit or even a chemical construction, such as the abominable so-called “blue raspberry” candy flavor. Rather, this brings to mind an air freshener version of a “berry” that never existed and never will, thankfully. The scent continues in a synthetic blast, but shockingly grows a little more realistic with some time. At this point, the pineapple alleged in the notes becomes apparent, but this could also be a product of the power of suggestion, since I read the notes before sniffing. The tartness keeps the sugar in check somewhat, but overall, this is a very sweet scent. There are some florals that become more prominent and are likely in the heart, and these seem to be trying to evince a very feminine, romantic magnolia, rose, violet, jasmine accord, however it is as subtle and beguiling as a neon sign flashing “girls! girls! girls!” Rather fittingly, the floral accord starts to smell like a much more vulgar version of Grojsman’s famous “hug me” accord, famously the base for such popular fragrances such as Tresor, There is not much evolution, although the initial fake fruit sweetness fades a little bit. The scent is powerful, and remains so even after hours. The base seems to be mostly a clean, laundry type musk, but more potent than you would expect in a perfume. This smells very feminine to me and is one of the few feminine marketed fragrances that I cannot imagine a man wearing at all.

I cannot wear this. I gave it a try once and did a smelling strip to refresh my memory and write a review for the blind sniff.

This was purchased and added to the blind sniff based on the creator. Dominique Ropion is well known for making amazing, bombastic florals, many of which I own and love. (Amarige, Carnal Flower, Ysatis, Une Fleur de Cassie, etc.) He also created (or had a hand in creating) Flowerbomb and La Vie est Belle. So unfortunately for us, this one was bombastic all right, but veered closer to the latter two I mentioned, as opposed to the others. I am convinced that this is why it smelled sooooo familiar to everyone and like a mall scent, or even a best seller! Flowerbomb and La Vie est Belle have been radiating from mall perfume counters for years now with a half life that rivals radioactive materials, and this type of scent seems to have permeated the senses such that I think almost all of us in this blind sniff associate it with malls! I am sure Live is or would be very popular with many people who also love those two scents as well. I have a smelling strip that I sprayed over a week ago, and today I took a sniff. It actually smells like a normal strength perfume now, and is quite pleasant, if still rather hackneyed and forgettable in style. It has softened over time into a clean, slightly fruity, floral musk.

(D) Carlos Santana for Men by Carlos Santana

Opens with a very strong aromachemical blast that screams “men’s cologne.” This was supposed to be all apple, cinnamon and woods with some herbs. I don’t really know if it achieves that. From a vial or on paper, I think this smells much better. On my skin, it has a very synthetic feel that seems to be due to an overdose (to my nose) of dihydromyrcenol. This detracts and covers the cozy apple pie scent. There is also a cool element from the herbal and mild lavender, likely in conjunction with something minty in effect. As it dries down, there is a noticeable tobacco like aroma, but it is fairly faint and not enough to make up for the unforgivable synthetic blast of dihydromyrcenol. There may be some coumarin and that softens the effect, but again, too little too late for my taste.

This is a rare celebuscent in the sniff, in that it was bought specifically based on BN reviews. (Although I said that I don’t seek out celebuscents, and I generally do not, I guess this one and a very few others are exceptions.) I think it must have been around 2011-2012 when I read some threads and reviews here that made it sound so yummy, and I thought I would like bf to smell like an apple cinnamon dessert. It was available very affordably, and so click, click, it was in the mail. (I did give it to bf, and yes, you all got samples from his bottle, but trust me, he does not mind.) He liked the scent more than I did, but he also said that the tissue paper wrapping that I had quickly decorated with a funky and colorful guitar drawing was his favorite part of the gift. The last time we moved, I found that he had carefully saved that wrapping with my doodle. I don’t remember the last time he wore this scent. It smells good on him, but he prefers others and has a nice little collection of his own. I think this is his only celebuscent.

I added this to the blind sniff because sooooooo many people here seemed to love it, and it is supposed to be all apple cinnamony goodness, which sounds so nice for fall! But as mentioned above, I never get that, and it seems like no one else here did either. It was only marginally liked, if at all. If anything, it may show the power of suggestion in the many reviews that suggest how wonderful and bursting with apples and cinnamon it is. BTW, I don’t even like apples all that much, unless they are fresh picked from a mountain orchard and don’t have all of that disgusting wax smothering them. I actually really dislike apple pie, but I do like the smell, so that is why I was even interested in this in the first place. Now, let me tell you more about my fruit and dessert preferences… j/k.

(E) Hello Kitty by Demeter

The fragrance smells more like a hair product than a perfume. It is fruity in the vague manner of a fruit scented shampoo or mousse, with accents of synthetic peach, strawberry and perhaps apple, in a very fake and contrived sense. There is a definite caramelized sugar note as well. It really reminds me very much of a hair product that a girl in high school used and would reek of after P.E. class when she redid her long wavy hair with tons of product. This is a simple, linear fragrance that has very little going on, but still more than the advertised apple, apple and apple, which ironically seems to be missing!

This is not a real celebuscent!!!! This was a little bit of a funny trick I played by including it in the blind sniff. However, as I told PerfumedLady, Hello Kitty is a “celebrikitty,” so close enough, I say. I will admit another shocking fact. I have bought two versions of Hello Kitty perfume. The other one that I bought years ago is in a different style of bottle. That other version also supposedly has a caramel apple like scent. It was more apple like than this perfume. It does not recall Hello Kitty erasers as much as this one, although neither are eraser-like enough for my taste. (I should just get an eraser, lol!) I don’t remember who produced the other scent, but I can probably take a look the next time I see my niece, who was the happy recipient of that bottle. This one will probably go to the other niece if she wants it.

As can probably be deduced, I loved Hello Kitty as a kid and had several Hello Kitty and friends tote bags filled with all kinds of Sanrio items that almost killed me with cuteness. I had hoped to find some Hello Kitty candy (and another kind of Japanese candy that used to have tiny and awesome choking hazard type toys in the box) to include in the treat bags for the blind sniff, but the Japanese market that I went to was having an inventory coming up apparently, and in old school style, they were letting the shelves go barren before doing the count of everything.

Besides being tricky, another that reason I included this in the blind sniff was to add to this whole apple conspiracy. Again, supposedly about apples, a fruity harbinger of fall, and yet not so much about the apples. Maybe blame global warming.
    ~ Henri Matisse

Basenotes Junkie

Why Does this Weird “Cestrum” Person Have So Many Celebuscents? Maybe She Should Change her Username to "Celebuscent Nocturnum?

“I hear she ONLY loves celebuscents.”

“I saw her picking them out of the gutter and spraying them all over, even in her mouth!”

“Evidently, she thinks she is going to turn into a celebrity if she wears them!”

“OMG, why doesn’t she shut up already! I feel sick!!! What is wrong with her??? WHY is she HERE? Can’t they, like, BAN her already? She is ruining everything!!!!!!”

(^^^ If BN were a stereotypical high school ^^^)

Apologies for dragging so long in telling this, but the story behind my amazing and rare acquisitions is actually not a very interesting one. I hate to ruin the suspense, but I fear that the celebuscents themselves are sadly the most intriguing aspect. Anyway, here goes.

As in many parts of the world, parking in LA can be really hard to find, especially at certain hours, and in certain parts of town. One area that I frequent has this problem, hence, valet parking, private parking lots, or parking structures are the only way to go. I found that one structure that I use quite often will validate for a couple of hours with a measly $5 purchase at a local discount store. Parking costs would usually be a minimum of $5 and quite often more, so many times I would run into the store and quickly buy something small. This is actually fairly easy and entertaining and of course, the money that would go to paying for the parking instead goes towards an actual item, in following true good-consumer form. This store is no different from most of the type, and is often bewildering, lacking in organization and order and it has a dizzying amount of pure junk mixed in with a small number of potentially ok or good items. Often, I just get something that I find on the small endcaps, in smaller displays, etc, as these tend to be more organized and seem to have somewhat better quality goods that the store is attempting to showcase amidst the mess. I’ve picked up perfumes in addition to french soaps, stationery, gloves, children’s knick-knacks for my nieces and nephew, and the like. Once, I even found a really cute dog jacket! It really works out rather well, except that the perfume selection is fairly meagre, and hence, celebuscents! LOL.
    ~ Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by cestrum nocturnum View Post
    [B]

Apologies for dragging so long in telling this, but the story behind my amazing and rare acquisitions is actually not a very interesting one. I hate to ruin the suspense, but I fear that the celebuscents themselves are sadly the most intriguing aspect. Anyway, here goes.

As in many parts of the world, parking in LA can be really hard to find, especially at certain hours, and in certain parts of town. One area that I frequent has this problem, hence, valet parking, private parking lots, or parking structures are the only way to go. I found that one structure that I use quite often will validate for a couple of hours with a measly $5 purchase at a local discount store. Parking costs would usually be a minimum of $5 and quite often more, so many times I would run into the store and quickly buy something small. This is actually fairly easy and entertaining and of course, the money that would go to paying for the parking instead goes towards an actual item, in following true good-consumer form. This store is no different from most of the type, and is often bewildering, lacking in organization and order and it has a dizzying amount of pure junk mixed in with a small number of potentially ok or good items. Often, I just get something that I find on the small endcaps, in smaller displays, etc, as these tend to be more organized and seem to have somewhat better quality goods that the store is attempting to showcase amidst the mess. I’ve picked up perfumes in addition to french soaps, stationery, gloves, children’s knick-knacks for my nieces and nephew, and the like. Once, I even found a really cute dog jacket! It really works out rather well, except that the perfume selection is fairly meagre, and hence, celebuscents! LOL.
    That's adorable and endearing and reminds me of how I buy things like makeup sharpeners, hair ties, and nail files to get free shipping at Sephora et. al.

Actually Notino is my new favorite place because I can get good shampoo cheaply, buy French sunscreen for reasonable prices, and throw in niche perfume samples for free shipping.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Lol! Wonderful posts, cestrum! And no, didn't even get aldehydes from the meat dress. I was scared it would smell like ELdO's Charogne. But it smelled like absolutely nothing. It was displayed in a glass case, but not an airtight one. Any smell at all would have crept out. Which begs the question, if they can preserve a meat dress so well, why can't I use that stuff on me?

I loved the story of how you came to own your celeb scents! Knowing you, I bet you use that opportunity to find a little something for your loved ones far more often than you choose something for yourself. You're a great gal, cestrum!

Now that you say it, I do remember one Hello Kitty item I had, with apples. It was a pencil set, maybe four of them, and one just had apples on it. But I never knew why and went on to forget about it. Now I know! See, I told you I learned a lot!

As for celebs involvement with their perfumes, I suspect you're right. With the exception of Madonna, who was notoriously a PITA to work with on her fragrances. Still, I can't imagine a woman with Goutals and Piguets and all the money in the world actually wearing Truth or Dare. But I could be wrong of course. I'd also give credit to Queen Latifah for her scents, though I don't know if she was truly involved. But they're pretty darned good. I'd say hers, along with Madge and Gaga have been the best celeb scents I know. Need to try more Simpsons and SJP's; some of these do seem promising.

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by cestrum nocturnum View Post
    Why Does this Weird “Cestrum” Person Have So Many Celebuscents? Maybe She Should Change her Username to "Celebuscent Nocturnum?

“I hear she ONLY loves celebuscents.”

“I saw her picking them out of the gutter and spraying them all over, even in her mouth!”

“Evidently, she thinks she is going to turn into a celebrity if she wears them!”

“OMG, why doesn’t she shut up already! I feel sick!!! What is wrong with her??? WHY is she HERE? Can’t they, like, BAN her already? She is ruining everything!!!!!!”

(^^^ If BN were a stereotypical high school ^^^)

Hmmm...I think I will go with 3 - final answer

And I think it has worked. You are a celebrity in my books FWTW.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Coriolan by Guerlain

Basenotes Institution

Celebuscent Nocturnum I'll meet you in the boys room for a cigarette. Mmkay?
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5