Code of Conduct

Default Help me dissect Acqua di Gio

My scent quest continues. I find that Acqua di Gio behaves differently on me than not on me. Here's what I mean:

Stage 1: There's the citrus blast opening which is lovely.

Stage 2: After a while it settles down into something I associate with clean laundry.

Stage 3: 12+ hours later/the next day, when I'm not wearing whatever clothing it was sprayed on, and if I sniff said clothing, I catch that smooth aquatic heart that attracted me to the fragrance in the first place.

Stage 3 is the smell I really love, and it's what I smell on somebody else who is wearing it. But it's like when I'm in close proximity to it, I can't smell it.

What specifically am I smelling in "Stage 3?" I don't have enough experience to put names to the scents but hopefully somebody knows what I'm getting at and can identify that aquatic component for me.

What can I do to get that "stage 3" smell most prominent? Is there a different fragrance that contains more of that specific AdG "stage 3" smell?

Default Re: Help me dissect Acqua di Gio

Calone is my overriding memory after a nice opening

I would say stage 3 is like a musk that's gone off a bit

Without being an expert on the subject, getting quite a strong watermelon-white musk-"laundry clean lavender" and even yuzu experience almost at once from this fragrance, the more it settles on skin
    Currently wearing: Ambré Noble by Zara

1. Take one "smell like everyone else"
    2. Divide by yourself
    3. ??????????
    4. Profit

Have you tried the Essenza flanker? Its AdG perfected to me as I found the OG quite humdrum but the retooling is perfect on every level.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    1. Take one "smell like everyone else"
    2. Divide by yourself
    3. ??????????
    4. Profit

Have you tried the Essenza flanker? Its AdG perfected to me as I found the OG quite humdrum but the retooling is perfect on every level.
    I just ordered an Essenza sampler. I read that it's formulated to emphasize the "woody" side of AdG. Maybe that's what I'm after and I don't know how to describe the "woody" aspect. I do like "woody" scents, like sandalwood, or Bvlgari Aqva Amara, or this stuff my mom wears that has a wonderful woody-ness to it.

I like the drydown of standard Bvlgari Aqva and AdQ Profumo a lot, and those seem to have patchouli and amber notes (from what I've read). AdG Profumo nauseates me though so unfortunately that one is out.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by eicca View Post
    I just ordered an Essenza sampler. I read that it's formulated to emphasize the "woody" side of AdG. Maybe that's what I'm after and I don't know how to describe the "woody" aspect.
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this one.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

My guess would also be calone. Very potent and long lasting, but it's really not too "in your face" so to speak.

Currently test driving the Essenza sampler. To me it seems to fall somewhere in the middle of AdG Profumo and Bvlgari Aqva. My initial impressions are quite positive, but the sampler sprayer really sucks and I didn’t get enough on this morning so I’m going to have to give it another go in a few days when my nose has sufficiently forgotten.

Musk and calone with a bit of floral notes.