Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
o
    Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default Re: Vintage Chanel For Men Cologne

Quote Originally Posted by peter4ptv View Post
    thank you, yes i think you are correct i got it shipped from Canada.
    and it was for sure made after 1989 not before as i was hopping to be version of Pour Monsieur Cologne from right after Chanel for Men Cologne.
    it smells really good and i think has better performance than the green juice EDT.
    so it is may by from after 1989 and before the green EDT, do you know when the green EDT was first introduced to market?
    In another thread, Pluran speculated the change to green juice was around 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    But the most radical change occurred around 2005 (?) when they changed the color of the juice from light gold to light green.

thank you for all info Bavard,
    so that puts my between 1989 and 2005, good enough vintage for me, now i need to find me some Chanel for men in the same bottle......
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1993 - Insense by Givenchy
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

thank you for all info Bavard,
    so that puts my between 1989 and 2005, good enough vintage for me, now i need to find me some Chanel for men in the same bottle......
    I think it will smell the same as what you have.

Attachment 91506

These two smell the same as each other.

The orange coloration in the bottle on the right was a surprise when I got it. It had been sealed in cellophane. The lighter colored juice with the same labeling, but in 2-ounce bottles, pictured below, smells a little different. My conclusion is that the labeling on the bottle doesn't matter as much as the bottle style.

Attachment 91507

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I think it will smell the same as what you have.
    what about the Chanel for men splash cologne like the one you have?
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum

what about the Chanel for men splash cologne like the one you have?
    I updated my post above. I don't think the reformulations coincide exactly with the renaming - the same bottle style can indicate the same-smelling juice inside.

Here's another picture of my Chanel for Men Splash, with my Chanel for Men Spray. They smell the same as each other (and as the orange-colored Pour Monsieur Cologne).

Attachment 91508

I see up above that there's a Chanel for Men with light-colored juice in the 2-ounce splash. That throws me off a little. I'm not sure what to think. Maybe they were playing around with the packaging/labeling periodically.

Overall, I'm fairly confident that the bottle of Eau de Cologne you have will smell indistinguishable from a good bottle of Chanel for Men.

Appreciate your help Bavard, so I do not need to go deep vintage on the PM.
    now I can sleep better….LOL
    with today’s 2 accusations of:
    Monsieur De Givenchy Haute Concentration
    YSL POUR HOMME SUPER CONCENTRATE
    I got all the good vintage lemon Masculins fragrances in all forms and versions.
    And no more lemons for me
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum

Overall, I'm fairly confident that the bottle of Eau de Cologne you have will smell indistinguishable from a good bottle of Chanel for Men.
    with all this basenotes stuff i am getting really paranoid about all this vintages forms and versions LOL
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum

Appreciate your help Bavard, so I do not need to go deep vintage on the PM.
    now I can sleep better….LOL
    with today’s 2 accusations of:
    Monsieur De Givenchy Haute Concentration
    YSL POUR HOMME SUPER CONCENTRATE
    I got all the good vintage lemon Masculins fragrances in all forms and versions.
    And no more lemons for me
    I think your bottle of Pour Monsieur Eau de Cologne looks like the good stuff. I'm not convinced it's as late as 1989 - in any case, from the look of it, I think the best you could do is back it up with something that smells the same.

with all this basenotes stuff i am getting really paranoid about all this vintages forms and versions LOL
    That can happen, although your collection sounds too awesome at this point for any more paranoia.

The Givenchy and YSL - I know them from the regular concentrations - are right up there with the best fragrances I've smelled.

This is the Chanel For Men splash (4 oz.) that was a Christmas present to my grandfather. Unfortunately he didn't get a chance to enjoy much of the fragrance and I inherited this bottle. As others have said, it is identical to Pour Monsieur. I find it's quite formal but also rather understated in terms of its projection. Definitely a beautiful fragrance that I will always feel a connection to.

DSC00774.jpg

That can happen, although your collection sounds too awesome at this point for any more paranoia.

The Givenchy and YSL - I know them from the regular concentrations - are right up there with the best fragrances I've smelled.
    Thank you, I have Givenchy and YSL the regulars for a long time, I am trying to have of the old lemon masculins in all versions now.
    Thought the Chanel PM in concentration smell like a complete different cologne from the original but I still like it a lot.
    Oh, and I just thought I was done with the lemons today after the last 2 I got today LOL
    I just got another lemon Eau de Guerlain, but interesting I try to find any vintages and there was none anywhere on eBay there was not even any at all.
    I found this spray bottle on amazon, not sure how the vintage looks not much info at all about Eau de Guerlain. Or what year is the one I got

9EFBCBF8-60D4-49BA-B405-8AE9F57F91EA.jpg
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    This is the Chanel For Men splash (4 oz.) that was a Christmas present to my grandfather. Unfortunately he didn't get a chance to enjoy much of the fragrance and I inherited this bottle. As others have said, it is identical to Pour Monsieur. I find it's quite formal but also rather understated in terms of its projection. Definitely a beautiful fragrance that I will always feel a connection to.

DSC00774.jpg

Thanks for the confirmation, I am sorry about your Grandpa RIP.
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum

Some oldies. "CHANEL FOR MEN COLOGNE", CHANEL "POUR MONSIEUR", and "A GENTLEMAN'S SPRAY COLOGNE." The older bottles still have a tangy citrus note. Very mossy. The latest of the bunch, at the far right, has a stronger sweet floral component at the onset. Less moss. But still no doubt same DNA. The bottle on the far left is the matching "FOR MEN AFTERSHAVE" to the COLOGNE. You can see how the tint is lighter. Yet, it still has a potent bouquet.
    Currently wearing: Gomma by Etro

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

In these times of oak moss restrictions, you just have to stock up like that. It's a survival kit.
    I sorta think this style will more and more be dependent on artisanal perfumers who don't give 2 s**ts and a handshake about chem firm-lobbied industry "regulations" to ensure the profitability of their patented captives. Not saying people can't get sick from oakmoss, but I've had reactions to modern aromachem perfumes while bathing in mossy oldies gives me zero respitory distress. Just food for thought.

I've a healthy sample of the older "A gentleman's cologne" UK nomenclature Chanel PM, but the citrus is very muted possibly from wilting/storage.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Vigorate by Avon

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post

Some oldies. "CHANEL FOR MEN COLOGNE", CHANEL "POUR MONSIEUR", and "A GENTLEMAN'S SPRAY COLOGNE." The older bottles still have a tangy citrus note. Very mossy. The latest of the bunch, at the far right, has a stronger sweet floral component at the onset. Less moss. But still no doubt same DNA. The bottle on the far left is the matching "FOR MEN AFTERSHAVE" to the COLOGNE. You can see how the tint is lighter. Yet, it still has a potent bouquet.
    If had more juice of the vintage, I could wear this days at a time if not longer. Unfortunately haven't smelled any juice prior to the 80s. The dry down is the best part.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Nobile by Gucci

I think, at least in the U. S., there was a name change from Chanel for Men Cologne, to Pour Monsieur Cologne, and then to Pour Monsieur Eau de Toilette.

There was a reformulation from Chanel for Men Cologne to Pour Monsieur Cologne. I almost always, or always, say the older the better, but this could be a case where it's a tie. The early stages of Pour Monsieur Cologne are more exciting, in my experience, but Chanel for Men is more oak-moss rich and rewarding in the base.
    i have and early 60s version of A Gentleman's Cologne and is so mossy that to me smells almost identical to my vintage Mitsouko eau de cologne. still opens green citrusy like pour monsieur edt but quickly fades a way and the dry down is all about the moss.
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum