Code of Conduct
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

By the way, I wore this as my SOTD yesterday and it was fantastic. All my Creed's seem to change over time; they mature and develop, and it's usually for the better. My bottle of Viking now extends the opening (which is my favorite part) for a good three or four hours. It used to hit Viking's "aftershave" phase after half an hour to an hour. Now, I get that nice mint, pink pepper and bergamot blend going for a good three or four hours before it moves into the next stage, and it's all a much more gradual and subtle transition, as opposed to the first month I had it, when it almost seemed like two or three completely different fragrances at times.

But overall I'm really happy with Viking. It's just the right strength, and lasts a very long time for me (easily a full work day). And it's much more distinct than at first. Whether this is because I just know it much better now or if it's because of some of the changes it's gone through, I'm not sure. But either way, I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    By the way, I wore this as my SOTD yesterday and it was fantastic. All my Creed's seem to change over time; they mature and develop, and it's usually for the better. My bottle of Viking now extends the opening (which is my favorite part) for a good three or four hours. It used to hit Viking's "aftershave" phase after half an hour to an hour. Now, I get that nice mint, pink pepper and bergamot blend going for a good three or four hours before it moves into the next stage, and it's all a much more gradual and subtle transition, as opposed to the first month I had it, when it almost seemed like two or three completely different fragrances at times.

But overall I'm really happy with Viking. It's just the right strength, and lasts a very long time for me (easily a full work day). And it's much more distinct than at first. Whether this is because I just know it much better now or if it's because of some of the changes it's gone through, I'm not sure. But either way, I like it.
    Thank you for your honesty and objectivity. It’s a masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Yep. When I hear this grower talk all I think of is the difference between a song that you hear once and feel the groove as opposed to one that you were indifferent to at first and then find yourself humming after the radio has played it a hundred times. The former is an organic hit, the second is due to you being programmed with repeat exposure.

No shade on anyone who's followed that process but that is actually whats at work, neurologically speaking, because for me I generally either like something off the bat or don't and having to force yourself to "get it" is foolish talk in my eyes as there are so many other great scents out there to try anyway.
    I disagree with this. People’s impressions can change for a number is reasons. If anything, I have had more instnaces of cases where my impressions of a scent diminish over time.

I’ve stuck with bad buys in the hope of programming myself to like or forcing my self to do so, and it has never worked with me. Ironically, given Sheik’s post above, 2 of the scents in this category for me were RO and BDP. I would take Viking over both, and most other creeds as well.

Basenotes Plus

I would like to address the general sentiment I've seen/heard in reviews and discussions about Viking. I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but what about when it's an objectively false opinion based on facts? I am specifically talking about comparisons people have made to Old Spice. I am a big fan of Old Spice, the classic, and I even appreciate the modern reformulations (however with each reformulation I am liking them less). The point I will make here is that in no world or universe that operates with laws and predictable outcomes does Viking smell even close to Old Spice. The composition's notes are completely different in each fragrance.

Old Spice is an Oriental Spicy which has:
    1. top of florals like carnation, heliotrope, geranium and jasmine. Although pimento pepper is a note listing, I cannot detect it in any phase of the fragrance and it doesn't play any detectable role other than to 'maybe' make the cinnamon and nutmeg more pronounced.
    2. A heart of orange, lemon, aldeheydes, tonka bean, musk, and vanilla
    3. A base of nutmeg, cinnamon, anise, benzoin, ambergris and sandalwood

Viking is in a category all of its own in that it's a citrus, spicy-fourgere, aquatic, woody fragrance. The closest genre it could be 'forced' into is 'fougere', but that is literally banging a piece that doesn't fit that is the closest shape we can come up with.
    1. The top is bergamot, lemon, vetiver and lavender (which lasts about 15-20 mins if you're lucky)
    2. A heart of pink pepper, mint (and unlisted notes which I believe are coriander, oakmoss and caraway)
    3. A 'simple' base of just watery notes, salt, sandalwood and driftwood.

These are two completely different fragrances. In no universe can they be objectively compared. There is little to no cinnamon in Viking, and the only note that could 'maybe' be mistaken for cinnamon is pink pepper blending with a woody note. I don't smell any nutmeg or anise or benzoin, which are 'critical' to what makes Old Spice smell like Old Spice. If you take out the pink pepper you cannot really call Viking 'spicy'. There is nowhere in Old Spice where I smell aquatic or salty notes. There is nowhere in Old Spice where the citrus has a distinct and separate stage in the phases. There is nowhere in Viking where cinnamon, anise and benzoin make a dominant chorus.

These are not similar fragrances by every objective analysis. Every time I hear someone say Viking is like Old Spice it really is annoying. I've carefully compared Viking to Pasha de Cartier based on the heart, and that's where my 'guess' of the unlisted notes come from (coriander, oakmoss and caraway, with caraway being extremely 'light' in Viking). Viking's heart smells much more transparent and airy compared to Pasha's and the acquatic in the base of Viking seems to be what makes Viking a bit different in the heart stage. The comparison to Pasha is just a passing phase. As the scents dry down they become very divergent, so even the Pasha comparison is arguably inaccurate.

So, I hope I've put the whole "Old Spice" comparison to bed here. Viking is not Old Spice and IMO, people have only made this comparison because they lack the ability to define their experience or they are attempting some kind of stab at Viking's price point (a valid subjective criticism). The vast majority of reviews I've read/heard about Viking is that it smells 'good', and that is a consensus opinion. It is not easy to make a unique fragrance that is mass-appealing. I think Viking accomplished that. Where people place the 'value' of the scent seems to be mostly under $150 from what I've observed.
    Last edited by tspencer; 6th April 2019 at 07:11 PM.

Try Ed Hardy Born Wild, closest thing to Viking, and cost is dirt cheap.

No need for Viking anymore since Born Wild is 75 % similar, just missing the aquatic component.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Wild Forest by Armand Basi

I agree with tspencer about Old Spice. Structurally, and to my nose, it’s apples to orangutans.

It it may just be shorthand for old school feel.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Jules by Christian Dior

There's a dry woody chemical in Viking that's not ambroxan but has some similar qualities, and my guess is you're getting that mixed with some pepper which is used significantly in both. Sauvage uses a lot of ambroxan. When I first smelled Viking I thought it used it as well, but apparently it doesn't. It uses something else to conjure a similar impression. There might be some traces of the Bergamot remaining in each as well. They both feature it in the top and it contributes to a sort of sweet, fruity smell that develops in the opening. Altogether the bergamot mixes with the pepper and ambroxan and you're left with a fresh-spicy semi-fruity-sweet woody aroma.
    Cheers, yes thought it might be a different set of ingredients that are giving the same impression.

Wowsers, the marketing copy says Viking is "fiery" . Sure does inspire some heated discussion ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Wowsers, the marketing copy says Viking is "fiery" . Sure does inspire some heated discussion ;-)
    I don't know about "fiery," but I would definitely say cinnamon. Creed apparently lists it as "pink pepper" instead of cinnamon, but it's clearly cinnamon to my nose.

Clove, too (which they don't list, either).

Those are the two things I notice most about Viking. And mint, of course.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I don't know about "fiery," but I would definitely say cinnamon. Creed apparently lists it as "pink pepper" instead of cinnamon, but it's clearly cinnamon to my nose.

Clove, too (which they don't list, either).

Those are the two things I notice most about Viking. And mint, of course.
    I think the pink pepper and woods might be giving a cinnamon effect, but it's certainly possible for a light synthetic cinnamon to be in there because the whole fragrance in the spicy range is a bit transparent in how it smells. It's not a solid/forward cinnamon for sure. I barely smell anything like cinnamon in the mix, so if it's in there, it's done tastefully and for effect, not to be a major note.

Wearing this today, as the final Creed scent from the full collection of testers i got from Creed, and hoping this to be the 4th Creed member of my cupboard (aventus, git, himalaya)

It's not quite there for me. The 3 scents i've bought, each smell different to one another and interest me. the rest of the Creed range (viking included) all smell nice, but with not enough difference/interest over the course of the day, to make me enjoy enjoy each sniff.
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

Bumping this comment that if you like Viking you should also try LV L’immensite. They don’t smell the same but share a similar vibe and both are excellent.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Try Ed Hardy Born Wild, closest thing to Viking, and cost is dirt cheap.

No need for Viking anymore since Born Wild is 75 % similar, just missing the aquatic component.
    Great tip! Thanks. Have seen this cheapie in abundance.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Night by Azzaro

Dua SW is a shallow minty facsimile of Creed Viking. Not in the same class but you pay for what you get. CV is has more depth , is richer and more masculine. After even 1 hour the Dua fades into whisps of fragrance, the CV settles in to poetry. For the video reviews who say they prefer Dua in the first 2-3 hours I can only assume a brown envelope inspired short circuit in logic.
    Currently wearing:
    Amouage Journey Man
    Frederick Malle French Lover
    Creed Viking (trialling it)

Basenotes Junkie Alonewithcologne's Avatar

I've worn a sample a few times now. It's pretty good, and I haven't smelled anything like it (young person here), but for that price tag, I won't even buy a decant.

I recently bought a bottle of Creed Viking and I've been wearing Viking for a few days now. I am most certainly enjoying it, however I'd actually go so far as to say I've had the opposite effect than what seems to be the trend when going from sample to bottle.

I LOVED my sample but haven't been as 'wowed' by the fragrance after I bought the bottle. I think it's the opening notes that don't suit my nose as much. I'm not a huge fan of the minty notes but I wouldn't go so far as to say they irritate me. Viking is a very interesting fragrance, and while it's not my favorite, it's certainly interesting enough to keep me wearing it regularly. I really like the complexity, and the dry-down process is a real pleasure.

I think it's a work-appropriate scent, and I've been enjoying it at work - hopefully I don't get any negative feedback from the office
    And it CERTAINLY smells a whole lot better than the subway stations, so I'm thankful for that - it's a keeper for me!
    I buy fragrances that match my personality. I want to smell like I'm about to embark on an exciting adventure in parts unknown.
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

This is such a great scent, maybe a step behind aventus for me. Do not understand the hate almost everywhere, I own a sample for now but certainly will buy a bottle.
    Last edited by TopoGigio; 6th July 2019 at 02:08 PM.

Having recently tried Villoresi's Piper Nigrum, does anyone else think the minty and eucalyptus notes are very similar to those in Viking? Just wondering.
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

I have not tried that one. Do you know where I can purchase a decant? Thanks!
    Currently wearing:
    Amouage Journey Man

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Having recently tried Villoresi's Piper Nigrum, does anyone else think the minty and eucalyptus notes are very similar to those in Viking? Just wondering.
    I honestly don't get much mint in either. I think Viking is missing that pronounced licorice bomb in Piper Nigrum but both are certainlly similar in the spicy jolt they emit and the fizzing quality they have especially in their openings.

Quote Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
    I have not tried that one. Do you know where I can purchase a decant? Thanks!
    Notino might do Villoresi samples, or First in Fragrance in Germany.

Thank you! Notino has sold out but yes I have not found anything First in Fragrance do not have in stock! Good idea!
    Currently wearing:
    Amouage Journey Man

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post

Yes! I mentioned this a while back to the resounding din of crickets. (If I scoured this thread I'd probably be able to find it somewhere.) I think the way the cooling mint and eucalyptus blend with the spicy pepper/cinnamon is quite similar in Piper Nigrum.

Here it is, Rum. Reply #51. You are not alone.

Yes! I mentioned this a while back to the resounding din of crickets. (If I scoured this thread I'd probably be able to find it somewhere.) I think the way the cooling mint and eucalyptus blend with the spicy pepper/cinnamon is quite similar in Piper Nigrum.

Here it is, Rum. Reply #51. You are not alone.
    Few! Thanks for that - the similarities are there even in the dry down.

I never judged PN as a mint-containing scent but after my wife suggested it, I kept picking it up quite prominently. Then it hit me that I have smelt it somewhere before. Of course I experienced PN long before Viking, but my mind definitely had "registered" that accord before.

Received my bottle yesterday ... the smell is amazing, but I think is weaker than my sample from 2017. Maybe because of first sprays from a fresh bottle, I hope.

I had to go to LV in Italy for 4 samples.
    Piper Nigrum arrived today. Fresh and minty and slightly powdery. Most reminiscent of Creed Viking in the opening then settles to a powdery barbershoppy powdery minty freshness. Almost medicinal but not terminally so. Longevity is good, Projection is C+. Lacks the smoothness and depth of Creed Viking. After 2.5 hours is a nice faint sweet skin scent.
    Will test this on my wife as she likes the more subtle ones . Let's see if it topples Byredo's Super Cedar!
    I also recieved Uomo which is a pleasant damp Vetiver. Nothing more.

Fragrance: 7.5/10
    Projection: 6.75/10
    Longevity: 7/10
    Currently wearing:
    Amouage Journey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
    I had to go to LV in Italy for 4 samples.
    Piper Nigrum arrived today. Fresh and minty and slightly powdery. Most reminiscent of Creed Viking in the opening then settles to a powdery barbershoppy powdery minty freshness. Almost medicinal but not terminally so. Longevity is good, Projection is C+. Lacks the smoothness and depth of Creed Viking. After 2.5 hours is a nice faint sweet skin scent.
    Will test this on my wife as she likes the more subtle ones . Let's see if it topples Byredo's Super Cedar!
    I also recieved Uomo which is a pleasant damp Vetiver. Nothing more.

Fragrance: 7.5/10
    Projection: 6.75/10
    Longevity: 7/10
    Interesting. I also agree that PN lacks the smoothness of Viking, and possibly the depth as well.

Uomo used to be a SPECTACULAR fragrance. It consistently ranked in my top ten of all time for many years. Really, it was wonderful. LV absolutely decimated the shit out of it and today it's just as you say, "a pleasant vetiver fragrance, nothing more." Such a shame what happened to this one and I have no idea how to find old bottles of the stuff and believe that most of them are now out of circulation. LV messed it up fr fr.

They also reformulated PN. I had gotten a sample of it and was bowled over by how complex, vibrant, and downright awesome it was, and by the time I bought a bottle it was very different. Similar in smell but much flatter, like it had been thinned out and compressed until it lost its punch. That was around 2012--2013. It sounds like it may have been reformulated again based on your description of it. LV also reformulated Sandalo, though they did a much better job with it than Uomo and Piper Nigrum. I imagine all their other classics were reformulated as well, but I'm not familiar with them so I can't say.

Basenotes Plus

Whoa. Today I'm wearing Viking. I hadn't worn it in months. I am picking up the cinnamon in spades today and it's the first time the cinnamon really stood out for me. All the previous wearings didn't have such a strong cinnamon vibe. Either this is an effect of the Creed "shelf shift" over time that seems to happen to many of their scents, or maybe my nose is just tuned into that note sharply today. I'm not picking up the salty aspect of it like I usually do. This fragrance is quite the scent chameleon. It's no wonder so many people pick up different things from this fragrance. I'm really enjoying this so far today.

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    Whoa. Today I'm wearing Viking. I hadn't worn it in months. I am picking up the cinnamon in spades today and it's the first time the cinnamon really stood out for me. All the previous wearings didn't have such a strong cinnamon vibe. Either this is an effect of the Creed "shelf shift" over time that seems to happen to many of their scents, or maybe my nose is just tuned into that note sharply today. I'm not picking up the salty aspect of it like I usually do. This fragrance is quite the scent chameleon. It's no wonder so many people pick up different things from this fragrance. I'm really enjoying this so far today.
    Thank you for this wonderful feedback. It is a marvelous scent

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Loving Viking at the moment. It's gone from a like to a love for me. Also getting lots of cinnamon. I get a fair bit of clove as well even though it's not listed. It comes across as an old school masculine which is right up my street. Really reminds me of Costume National Homme but probably better.
    All Time Favorites
    Kouros - YSL
    Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior
    Fahrenheit Parfum - Dior
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Patchouli Nobile - Nobile 1942
    Aventus - Creed
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Green Irish Tweed - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    Halfeti - Penhaligon's
    Mousse Illuminee - Rouge Perfumery
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

Having smelled most of the creeds, Viking has come to be my favorite of the house. This one just resonates with me so much and it is such an easy wear any time

Surprised at how polarizing it is

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast