Code of Conduct
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Results 511 to 540 of 571
o
  1. #511
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil
    Posts
    304,194

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by succio View Post
    and it is such an easy wear any time
    Feel the same.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  2. #512

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    I find some commonalities between Viking and Amouage Beach Hut Man. Big fan of both after an ambivalent start with Viking.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

  3. #513
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,295

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    I didnít care for this one at all when I first got it, but I did a big 180 with the decant I originally bought. Looking forward to the cooler weather to wear this one again. Itís one of my favorite creeds now.

  4. #514
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    41

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    I've got a batch of 18G01. The scent certainly grows on you the more you wear it. I get a strong cinnamon smell and I love it. It reminds me of Christmas. The smell is great, heavy but not too heavy, a bit sweet, it's just perfect. However, I'm not sold on projection and longevity. Let's see how the bottle blossoms with time.

  5. #515

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by leo015 View Post
    I've got a batch of 18G01. The scent certainly grows on you the more you wear it. I get a strong cinnamon smell and I love it. It reminds me of Christmas. The smell is great, heavy but not too heavy, a bit sweet, it's just perfect. However, I'm not sold on projection and longevity. Let's see how the bottle blossoms with time.
    I really, really love Viking. It's a great scent that is much more complex than it gets credit for. It's also way overpriced, even at discounters. Decants make it better, but still way too pricey.
    Currently Rotating:

    *Creed Bois Du Portugal
    *Armani Code Absolu
    *Creed Aventus Cologne
    *Fragrance.One Office For Men
    *Parfums De Marly Percival
    *Mancera Black Gold
    *Imaginary Authors Telegrama
    *Imaginary Authors Cape Heartache
    *Neandertal Black
    *Chanel Bleu de Chanel

  6. #516

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I find some commonalities between Viking and Amouage Beach Hut Man. Big fan of both after an ambivalent start with Viking.
    Your comment made me revisit my decant of Viking and you're absolutely correct. The opening is a ringer for Beach Hut.

  7. #517
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    41

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
    I really, really love Viking. It's a great scent that is much more complex than it gets credit for. It's also way overpriced, even at discounters. Decants make it better, but still way too pricey.
    I agree! It even reminds me of a barbershop scent to be honest. I hope longevity increases in the long run when it matures like other Creeds

  8. #518

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by leo015 View Post
    I've got a batch of 18G01. The scent certainly grows on you the more you wear it. I get a strong cinnamon smell and I love it. It reminds me of Christmas. The smell is great, heavy but not too heavy, a bit sweet, it's just perfect. However, I'm not sold on projection and longevity. Let's see how the bottle blossoms with time.
    Me too, same batch. I am not big fan of the opening, but the dry down is lovely. Longevity similar to aventus, 8-10 hours.
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

  9. #519
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    41

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by TopoGigio View Post
    Me too, same batch. I am not big fan of the opening, but the dry down is lovely. Longevity similar to aventus, 8-10 hours.
    How long can you actually smell it on you? I usually get fatigued after about 2-3 hours

  10. #520

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by leo015 View Post
    How long can you actually smell it on you? I usually get fatigued after about 2-3 hours
    That is strange, I can detect the scent even in the afternoon, 6-8 good hours maybe even more. I am not sure about projection, do 2-3 sprays in the morning. I work in an office, maybe because of this the scent is more present. The performance is similar to other creeds to me.
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

  11. #521

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by leo015 View Post
    How long can you actually smell it on you? I usually get fatigued after about 2-3 hours
    Definitely an all-day scent for me. I don't get nose fatigue on this scent, nor any spicier scents for that matter, so I would say its a good performer.
    Currently Rotating:

    *Creed Bois Du Portugal
    *Armani Code Absolu
    *Creed Aventus Cologne
    *Fragrance.One Office For Men
    *Parfums De Marly Percival
    *Mancera Black Gold
    *Imaginary Authors Telegrama
    *Imaginary Authors Cape Heartache
    *Neandertal Black
    *Chanel Bleu de Chanel

  12. #522
    Basenotes Plus
    tspencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    4,885

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
    Definitely an all-day scent for me. I don't get nose fatigue on this scent, nor any spicier scents for that matter, so I would say its a good performer.
    Me too. The scent transitions and it smells mostly woody after 6 hours but that woody scent lasts all the rest of the day and I even smelled it the next morning up close.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

  13. #523

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    No longevity issues for me. I was getting wiffs fourteen hours after a couple of sprays yesterday. Not strong, but it was certainly still there.

  14. #524
    Super Member afterdark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Zurich, Munich
    Posts
    135

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    hated it the first time i smelled it. I came across as a dated, old manish scent. Gave it another try a year later and liked it a lot. The drydown has similarities to Bois du Portugal which is one of my absolute favorites. I have no longevity issues with this one. I unfortunately have an issue with Bois du Portugal and its lasting power.

  15. #525

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    I have gone the entire opposite direction on this scent. Can't say that I hate it, but the reasons why I purchased it no longer apply. My enjoyment has diminished on this scent.

    I hope that changes.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

  16. #526
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    41

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by afterdark View Post
    hated it the first time i smelled it. I came across as a dated, old manish scent. Gave it another try a year later and liked it a lot. The drydown has similarities to Bois du Portugal which is one of my absolute favorites. I have no longevity issues with this one. I unfortunately have an issue with Bois du Portugal and its lasting power.
    That’s the feeling I get and I love it. Cinnamon barbershop scent that reminds me of Christmas and a classy man at the same time.

  17. #527
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    41

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    I have gone the entire opposite direction on this scent. Can't say that I hate it, but the reasons why I purchased it no longer apply. My enjoyment has diminished on this scent.

    I hope that changes.
    Can you explain why?

  18. #528
    Super Member afterdark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Zurich, Munich
    Posts
    135

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by leo015 View Post
    That’s the feeling I get and I love it. Cinnamon barbershop scent that reminds me of Christmas and a classy man at the same time.
    I fortunately get no cinnamon and no christmas vibe. I would hate it if it had a distinct cinnamon vibe. The classy man vibe it has, i agree on this one.

  19. #529

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by leo015 View Post
    Can you explain why?
    I can only attempt to explain.

    After the initial spray, Viking doesn't build past that initial crescendo of notes that works well. The top notes definitely hooked me but I enjoyed its vibe. Well, after quite a few more wearings, it hit me. It really doesn't develop into anything past the middle notes worthy of my attention. Sure, it's a rather masculine scent that is somewhat unique. So is Creed Windsor. But it just doesn't really do it for me any longer.

    It feels like a car stuck in 2nd gear. Starts off nicely, shifts to the next stage... and just stays there. Even the stages of Bois du Portugal has a dry down that I look forward to experiencing whereas Viking just sprays, impresses, then just drones on.

    Hope that clears it up a bit. I still like it, but my love for it has dwindled due to the monotonous nature.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

  20. #530
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    41

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    I can only attempt to explain.

    After the initial spray, Viking doesn't build past that initial crescendo of notes that works well. The top notes definitely hooked me but I enjoyed its vibe. Well, after quite a few more wearings, it hit me. It really doesn't develop into anything past the middle notes worthy of my attention. Sure, it's a rather masculine scent that is somewhat unique. So is Creed Windsor. But it just doesn't really do it for me any longer.

    It feels like a car stuck in 2nd gear. Starts off nicely, shifts to the next stage... and just stays there. Even the stages of Bois du Portugal has a dry down that I look forward to experiencing whereas Viking just sprays, impresses, then just drones on.

    Hope that clears it up a bit. I still like it, but my love for it has dwindled due to the monotonous nature.
    That's a really good explanation. I can definitely see what you're saying, thanks! On the note of BdP, I currently have GIT and I'm thinking what to do when it runs out. Get another bottle of it or switch to BdP for my fresh scent. What would you say?

  21. #531

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by leo015 View Post
    That's a really good explanation. I can definitely see what you're saying, thanks! On the note of BdP, I currently have GIT and I'm thinking what to do when it runs out. Get another bottle of it or switch to BdP for my fresh scent. What would you say?
    Not sure if I'm the right person to ask. I like both, have found myself liking BdP quite a bit in the cooler weather and/or whenever I have certain meetings as it and Royal Oud have become my "power scents". GIT will forever stay in my collection. I love the scent to death but truly find that BdP has become a slightly more versatile scent that I can dress down or dress up. GIT has become a scent I wear whenever I'm just kicking it about.

    I just wouldn't call BdP a "fresh scent". And I love fresh scents. It's a gentleman's scent that quite honestly I've learned how to appreciate. My hope is that Viking will end up about the same.

    If you could do it, I'd do both bottles in your collection.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

  22. #532

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    If you like vikinf, be sure to try l’immensite

  23. #533
    Basenotes Plus
    tspencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    4,885

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    It feels like a car stuck in 2nd gear. Starts off nicely, shifts to the next stage... and just stays there. Even the stages of Bois du Portugal has a dry down that I look forward to experiencing whereas Viking just sprays, impresses, then just drones on.
    All fragrances I have encountered act something like this where you get a symphony of notes and then slowly, over many hours, you get down to just the base, which stays until it's undetectable. I think what this comes down to is how much you like the base. IMO, the Viking base is mostly woods (driftwood and sandalwood) and for me there is a tad of that salty-aquatic that lingers very faintly around it. I suppose there is a tad of cinnamon in there too. Basically, if you like that base, you'll enjoy this dry down. I enjoy it.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

  24. #534
    Basenotes Plus
    notspendingamillion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Middleof, Nowhere
    Posts
    2,029

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    Preparing to wear this tomorrow I was considering it today. I really like it a lot. I get a spicy minty pink pepper drying down to a sandalwood ambroxy. I think it is better and more complex than it gets credit for. The price here is the ONLY issue. Its expensive. But that is subjective.

    The other day I got a L'Anarchist connection. I put a couple sprays of that on my hand with 1 spray of molecule 02, then Viking on the other. That gave me the approximation, just not quite smelling as good. I think you could mix those two and sell it closer than a bunch of those "our version of" fragrances out there.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

  25. #535
    Basenotes Plus
    onethinline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,686

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    I JUST sprayed this on about ten minutes ago, for the first time, from a Creed sample set that arrived yesterday. It’s certainly likable right from the start, to me, and the opening accord does indeed feel unique. Bright mintiness with lavender and norlimbanol. The norlimbanol of course reminds me of any number of designer “bleu” fragrances, with its slightly scratchy but bright “woods” effect. It’s a tricky note for me because it can easily become overwhelming and thudding if dialed up just a little too much, or if combined with other try-hard components like overly-keening citrus. Here, so far, it seems well-behaved, and the mint is standing in for what would be other “freshness” blasts in bleu frags like YSL Y EDP or Versace Eros. Thinking about it now, actually, you could make the case that Viking is Creed’s entry into the “bleu” category, with its freshness-over-norlimbanol structure. Anyway, I’ll see how it continues to wear.

  26. #536
    Basenotes Plus
    tspencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    4,885

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    I JUST sprayed this on about ten minutes ago, for the first time, from a Creed sample set that arrived yesterday. It’s certainly likable right from the start, to me, and the opening accord does indeed feel unique. Bright mintiness with lavender and norlimbanol. The norlimbanol of course reminds me of any number of designer “bleu” fragrances, with its slightly scratchy but bright “woods” effect. It’s a tricky note for me because it can easily become overwhelming and thudding if dialed up just a little too much, or if combined with other try-hard components like overly-keening citrus. Here, so far, it seems well-behaved, and the mint is standing in for what would be other “freshness” blasts in bleu frags like YSL Y EDP or Versace Eros. Thinking about it now, actually, you could make the case that Viking is Creed’s entry into the “bleu” category, with its freshness-over-norlimbanol structure. Anyway, I’ll see how it continues to wear.
    Give it some hours to develop and tell me what you think. Virtually everyone notices transitions over many hours as pieces of the composition fade away and it ends up mostly woods. I, personally, don't get the designer comparison, but then again, many people seem to have wildly different takes on what they are smelling in the first 2-3 hours then it seems to me that most people are getting the same woody notes dominate the finish.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

  27. #537
    Basenotes Plus
    notspendingamillion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Middleof, Nowhere
    Posts
    2,029

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    I dont get norlimbanol at all. I get ambroxen. I also dont find it particularily woody.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

  28. #538
    Basenotes Plus
    tspencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    4,885

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    I dont get norlimbanol at all. I get ambroxen. I also dont find it particularily woody.
    It's pretty much 'all' driftwood and sandalwood on the dry down. Impossible not to notice. Those woods carry on for 12 hours. A good long time after all the other notes have left the building. This happens even on paper strips, so it's not just my skin.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

  29. #539
    Basenotes Plus
    notspendingamillion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Middleof, Nowhere
    Posts
    2,029

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    Yea, i suppose. Im gonna accede here. It does smell like sandalwood and ambrox. I have been wondering what driftwood smells like. I have no reference. I saw it listed in notes somewhere lately. I guess sandalWOOD just doesnt smell super woody to me. Ha.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

  30. #540
    Basenotes Plus
    tspencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    4,885

    Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    Yea, i suppose. Im gonna accede here. It does smell like sandalwood and ambrox. I have been wondering what driftwood smells like. I have no reference. I saw it listed in notes somewhere lately. I guess sandalWOOD just doesnt smell super woody to me. Ha.
    The woods are blended, so if you know what sandalwood smells like you might be able to eek out a possible idea of driftwood. I honestly don't have any familiarity with driftwood myself, but can say the wood blending smells 'sort of' like sandalwood, but different, which must be the driftwood melding into it to give off that scent. I enjoy it. I try not to wear Viking often because I fear I might get bored of it if I wear it too much. Then again that is just a fear, it's not necessarily going to happen. I have the same fear of many of my favored scents.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior




Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Official Creed Green Irish Tweed thread!
    By G Man in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2402
    Last Post: 28th January 2020, 06:10 AM
  2. The Official Creed Viking Thread
    By MonsieurChanel in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1888
    Last Post: 10th November 2017, 03:21 PM
  3. Creed Viking
    By jct6 in forum Fragrances Wanted
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 8th September 2017, 03:04 AM
  4. Creed Viking
    By NachoWagon in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 9th May 2017, 09:11 PM
  5. The "Official" Creed Spice and Wood discussion thread
    By ziffy321 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 18th December 2015, 04:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000