Code of Conduct
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
o
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by succio View Post
    and it is such an easy wear any time
    Feel the same.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I find some commonalities between Viking and Amouage Beach Hut Man. Big fan of both after an ambivalent start with Viking.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Dependent

I didnít care for this one at all when I first got it, but I did a big 180 with the decant I originally bought. Looking forward to the cooler weather to wear this one again. Itís one of my favorite creeds now.

Basenotes Member

I've got a batch of 18G01. The scent certainly grows on you the more you wear it. I get a strong cinnamon smell and I love it. It reminds me of Christmas. The smell is great, heavy but not too heavy, a bit sweet, it's just perfect. However, I'm not sold on projection and longevity. Let's see how the bottle blossoms with time.

Quote Originally Posted by leo015 View Post
    I've got a batch of 18G01. The scent certainly grows on you the more you wear it. I get a strong cinnamon smell and I love it. It reminds me of Christmas. The smell is great, heavy but not too heavy, a bit sweet, it's just perfect. However, I'm not sold on projection and longevity. Let's see how the bottle blossoms with time.
    I really, really love Viking. It's a great scent that is much more complex than it gets credit for. It's also way overpriced, even at discounters. Decants make it better, but still way too pricey.
    Currently Rotating:

*Creed Bois Du Portugal
    *Armani Code Absolu
    *Creed Aventus Cologne
    *Fragrance.One Office For Men
    *Parfums De Marly Percival
    *Mancera Black Gold
    *Imaginary Authors Telegrama
    *Imaginary Authors Cape Heartache
    *Neandertal Black
    *Chanel Bleu de Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I find some commonalities between Viking and Amouage Beach Hut Man. Big fan of both after an ambivalent start with Viking.
    Your comment made me revisit my decant of Viking and you're absolutely correct. The opening is a ringer for Beach Hut.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
    I really, really love Viking. It's a great scent that is much more complex than it gets credit for. It's also way overpriced, even at discounters. Decants make it better, but still way too pricey.
    I agree! It even reminds me of a barbershop scent to be honest. I hope longevity increases in the long run when it matures like other Creeds

Me too, same batch. I am not big fan of the opening, but the dry down is lovely. Longevity similar to aventus, 8-10 hours.
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by TopoGigio View Post
    Me too, same batch. I am not big fan of the opening, but the dry down is lovely. Longevity similar to aventus, 8-10 hours.
    How long can you actually smell it on you? I usually get fatigued after about 2-3 hours

How long can you actually smell it on you? I usually get fatigued after about 2-3 hours
    That is strange, I can detect the scent even in the afternoon, 6-8 good hours maybe even more. I am not sure about projection, do 2-3 sprays in the morning. I work in an office, maybe because of this the scent is more present. The performance is similar to other creeds to me.
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Definitely an all-day scent for me. I don't get nose fatigue on this scent, nor any spicier scents for that matter, so I would say its a good performer.
    Currently Rotating:

*Creed Bois Du Portugal
    *Armani Code Absolu
    *Creed Aventus Cologne
    *Fragrance.One Office For Men
    *Parfums De Marly Percival
    *Mancera Black Gold
    *Imaginary Authors Telegrama
    *Imaginary Authors Cape Heartache
    *Neandertal Black
    *Chanel Bleu de Chanel

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
    Definitely an all-day scent for me. I don't get nose fatigue on this scent, nor any spicier scents for that matter, so I would say its a good performer.
    Me too. The scent transitions and it smells mostly woody after 6 hours but that woody scent lasts all the rest of the day and I even smelled it the next morning up close.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

No longevity issues for me. I was getting wiffs fourteen hours after a couple of sprays yesterday. Not strong, but it was certainly still there.

hated it the first time i smelled it. I came across as a dated, old manish scent. Gave it another try a year later and liked it a lot. The drydown has similarities to Bois du Portugal which is one of my absolute favorites. I have no longevity issues with this one. I unfortunately have an issue with Bois du Portugal and its lasting power.

I have gone the entire opposite direction on this scent. Can't say that I hate it, but the reasons why I purchased it no longer apply. My enjoyment has diminished on this scent.

I hope that changes.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by afterdark View Post
    hated it the first time i smelled it. I came across as a dated, old manish scent. Gave it another try a year later and liked it a lot. The drydown has similarities to Bois du Portugal which is one of my absolute favorites. I have no longevity issues with this one. I unfortunately have an issue with Bois du Portugal and its lasting power.
    That’s the feeling I get and I love it. Cinnamon barbershop scent that reminds me of Christmas and a classy man at the same time.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    I have gone the entire opposite direction on this scent. Can't say that I hate it, but the reasons why I purchased it no longer apply. My enjoyment has diminished on this scent.

I hope that changes.
    Can you explain why?

That’s the feeling I get and I love it. Cinnamon barbershop scent that reminds me of Christmas and a classy man at the same time.
    I fortunately get no cinnamon and no christmas vibe. I would hate it if it had a distinct cinnamon vibe. The classy man vibe it has, i agree on this one.

Can you explain why?
    I can only attempt to explain.

After the initial spray, Viking doesn't build past that initial crescendo of notes that works well. The top notes definitely hooked me but I enjoyed its vibe. Well, after quite a few more wearings, it hit me. It really doesn't develop into anything past the middle notes worthy of my attention. Sure, it's a rather masculine scent that is somewhat unique. So is Creed Windsor. But it just doesn't really do it for me any longer.

It feels like a car stuck in 2nd gear. Starts off nicely, shifts to the next stage... and just stays there. Even the stages of Bois du Portugal has a dry down that I look forward to experiencing whereas Viking just sprays, impresses, then just drones on.

Hope that clears it up a bit. I still like it, but my love for it has dwindled due to the monotonous nature.

Basenotes Member

I can only attempt to explain.

After the initial spray, Viking doesn't build past that initial crescendo of notes that works well. The top notes definitely hooked me but I enjoyed its vibe. Well, after quite a few more wearings, it hit me. It really doesn't develop into anything past the middle notes worthy of my attention. Sure, it's a rather masculine scent that is somewhat unique. So is Creed Windsor. But it just doesn't really do it for me any longer.

It feels like a car stuck in 2nd gear. Starts off nicely, shifts to the next stage... and just stays there. Even the stages of Bois du Portugal has a dry down that I look forward to experiencing whereas Viking just sprays, impresses, then just drones on.

Hope that clears it up a bit. I still like it, but my love for it has dwindled due to the monotonous nature.
    That's a really good explanation. I can definitely see what you're saying, thanks! On the note of BdP, I currently have GIT and I'm thinking what to do when it runs out. Get another bottle of it or switch to BdP for my fresh scent. What would you say?

That's a really good explanation. I can definitely see what you're saying, thanks! On the note of BdP, I currently have GIT and I'm thinking what to do when it runs out. Get another bottle of it or switch to BdP for my fresh scent. What would you say?
    Not sure if I'm the right person to ask. I like both, have found myself liking BdP quite a bit in the cooler weather and/or whenever I have certain meetings as it and Royal Oud have become my "power scents". GIT will forever stay in my collection. I love the scent to death but truly find that BdP has become a slightly more versatile scent that I can dress down or dress up. GIT has become a scent I wear whenever I'm just kicking it about.

I just wouldn't call BdP a "fresh scent". And I love fresh scents. It's a gentleman's scent that quite honestly I've learned how to appreciate. My hope is that Viking will end up about the same.

If you could do it, I'd do both bottles in your collection.

If you like vikinf, be sure to try l’immensite

Basenotes Plus

All fragrances I have encountered act something like this where you get a symphony of notes and then slowly, over many hours, you get down to just the base, which stays until it's undetectable. I think what this comes down to is how much you like the base. IMO, the Viking base is mostly woods (driftwood and sandalwood) and for me there is a tad of that salty-aquatic that lingers very faintly around it. I suppose there is a tad of cinnamon in there too. Basically, if you like that base, you'll enjoy this dry down. I enjoy it.

Basenotes Plus

Preparing to wear this tomorrow I was considering it today. I really like it a lot. I get a spicy minty pink pepper drying down to a sandalwood ambroxy. I think it is better and more complex than it gets credit for. The price here is the ONLY issue. Its expensive. But that is subjective.

The other day I got a L'Anarchist connection. I put a couple sprays of that on my hand with 1 spray of molecule 02, then Viking on the other. That gave me the approximation, just not quite smelling as good. I think you could mix those two and sell it closer than a bunch of those "our version of" fragrances out there.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Basenotes Plus

I JUST sprayed this on about ten minutes ago, for the first time, from a Creed sample set that arrived yesterday. It’s certainly likable right from the start, to me, and the opening accord does indeed feel unique. Bright mintiness with lavender and norlimbanol. The norlimbanol of course reminds me of any number of designer “bleu” fragrances, with its slightly scratchy but bright “woods” effect. It’s a tricky note for me because it can easily become overwhelming and thudding if dialed up just a little too much, or if combined with other try-hard components like overly-keening citrus. Here, so far, it seems well-behaved, and the mint is standing in for what would be other “freshness” blasts in bleu frags like YSL Y EDP or Versace Eros. Thinking about it now, actually, you could make the case that Viking is Creed’s entry into the “bleu” category, with its freshness-over-norlimbanol structure. Anyway, I’ll see how it continues to wear.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    I JUST sprayed this on about ten minutes ago, for the first time, from a Creed sample set that arrived yesterday. It’s certainly likable right from the start, to me, and the opening accord does indeed feel unique. Bright mintiness with lavender and norlimbanol. The norlimbanol of course reminds me of any number of designer “bleu” fragrances, with its slightly scratchy but bright “woods” effect. It’s a tricky note for me because it can easily become overwhelming and thudding if dialed up just a little too much, or if combined with other try-hard components like overly-keening citrus. Here, so far, it seems well-behaved, and the mint is standing in for what would be other “freshness” blasts in bleu frags like YSL Y EDP or Versace Eros. Thinking about it now, actually, you could make the case that Viking is Creed’s entry into the “bleu” category, with its freshness-over-norlimbanol structure. Anyway, I’ll see how it continues to wear.
    Give it some hours to develop and tell me what you think. Virtually everyone notices transitions over many hours as pieces of the composition fade away and it ends up mostly woods. I, personally, don't get the designer comparison, but then again, many people seem to have wildly different takes on what they are smelling in the first 2-3 hours then it seems to me that most people are getting the same woody notes dominate the finish.

Basenotes Plus

I dont get norlimbanol at all. I get ambroxen. I also dont find it particularily woody.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    I dont get norlimbanol at all. I get ambroxen. I also dont find it particularily woody.
    It's pretty much 'all' driftwood and sandalwood on the dry down. Impossible not to notice. Those woods carry on for 12 hours. A good long time after all the other notes have left the building. This happens even on paper strips, so it's not just my skin.

Basenotes Plus

Yea, i suppose. Im gonna accede here. It does smell like sandalwood and ambrox. I have been wondering what driftwood smells like. I have no reference. I saw it listed in notes somewhere lately. I guess sandalWOOD just doesnt smell super woody to me. Ha.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    Yea, i suppose. Im gonna accede here. It does smell like sandalwood and ambrox. I have been wondering what driftwood smells like. I have no reference. I saw it listed in notes somewhere lately. I guess sandalWOOD just doesnt smell super woody to me. Ha.
    The woods are blended, so if you know what sandalwood smells like you might be able to eek out a possible idea of driftwood. I honestly don't have any familiarity with driftwood myself, but can say the wood blending smells 'sort of' like sandalwood, but different, which must be the driftwood melding into it to give off that scent. I enjoy it. I try not to wear Viking often because I fear I might get bored of it if I wear it too much. Then again that is just a fear, it's not necessarily going to happen. I have the same fear of many of my favored scents.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast