Code of Conduct
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 LastLast
o
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

Hm. Yeah I don’t meant to say it actually smells like designer “bleu” fragrances, but more that I can see a structural similarity, with the fresh element (mint here) over norlimbanol-driven woods. And I must say, to me the norlimbanol is clearly present here, and is doubtless what is being called “driftwood.” I suppose there may be some Ambroxan as well, though it isn’t as overt here as it is in a big Ambroxan-fest like Sauvage. I need to wear Viking more, like you guys suggest, since it really is different. But certainly enjoyable right off the bat. I’m just not sure yet whether it’s full-bottle love. I’m pleasantly surprised by it, though.

Viking is really amazing these winter days, compliments after 10+ hours, amazing dry down ... very masculine , sensual, I am very satisfied.
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

This one just gets better and better over time. It's become one of my favorite daily-wear fragrances and I've worn it every weekday for about the past two weeks. It's got this nice, icy-spicy, bracing opening and by midday it hits that classic, musky aftershave phase that has that traditional, masculine appeal. The thing I hear most while wearing it is something along the lines of, "I smell something...like a men's cologne around here." It's not said with a negative connotation, but I think that's just the impression Viking gives off--a very classically masculine scent, that people seem to notice, and respond to positively.

I've liked Viking since day one, but it really is a slow burn. I wonder how many people have come around to this one over time who may not have loved it at first. I also haven't noticed to much "batch code" talk regarding Viking. I have an old bottle from the first month of its release, and it's definitely macerated since then and has a fuller smell with better longevity.

Basenotes Plus

Ive heard people question who this is marketed for. Me. Normal guy, wants to smell good, masculine, but updated. Lasts all day easy. Not for clubbing or seeking attention. It really is awesome. Would work great as a signature scent.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    This one just gets better and better over time. It's become one of my favorite daily-wear fragrances and I've worn it every weekday for about the past two weeks. It's got this nice, icy-spicy, bracing opening and by midday it hits that classic, musky aftershave phase that has that traditional, masculine appeal. The thing I hear most while wearing it is something along the lines of, "I smell something...like a men's cologne around here." It's not said with a negative connotation, but I think that's just the impression Viking gives off--a very classically masculine scent, that people seem to notice, and respond to positively.

I've liked Viking since day one, but it really is a slow burn. I wonder how many people have come around to this one over time who may not have loved it at first. I also haven't noticed to much "batch code" talk regarding Viking. I have an old bottle from the first month of its release, and it's definitely macerated since then and has a fuller smell with better longevity.
    I think It's a great fragrance. It gets better and better.
    All Time Favorites
    Fahrenheit (Vintage) - Dior
    Aventus/Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Jubilation XXV - Amouage
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Danger/Fetish - Roja Dove
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - MFK
    Naxos - Xerjoff
    Coromandel - Chanel
    Patchouli Nobile - Nobile 1942
    Baraonda - Nasomatto
    Incident Diplomatique/Private Label/Psychedelique - Jovoy
    Layton/Pegasus - PDM

I might need to revisit my samples. I was not a fan, but thought it might grow on me one day.
    Currently wearing: 17/17 Richwood by Xerjoff

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post

Agreed. This one is tremendous, and interestingly, one of the few fragrances I feel totally comfortable wearing regardless of weather. I wear Viking in the Summer, Winter, and everything in between, and it always works for me. I have a decant that's got maybe 10ml left, and after that it's a full bottle buy for me, for sure.

I absolutely adore this fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Aventus Cologne by Creed

I received my manufacturer sample a few days ago, and been obsessing over this ever since lol. First impression was bad for me.. kinda harsh opening with something that is loud (my mind tells me cloves, but likely just the initial combination of notes, it doesn't last more than a few mins though). The more I kept smelling it after the opening, the more I liked it. Absolutely I get the aftershave vibe - that is, a high quality clean aftershave, and I can pick up on the Creed DNA. I actually love the aftershave vibe, for me, it's a plus at my work because others might be inclined to assume I'm just wearing aftershave verses cologne (technically not suppose to wear cologne). I did find myself smelling my wrist a LOT.

With Creed Aventus, I knew at first smell that my checking account was going to suffer. With Viking, I was CLOSE, but nowhere near wanting to commit to a big bottle. Gradually, (we're talking no more than 3 days), I started liking it more and more (still not loving the opening though). Second issue I have with Viking is performance. After an hour or two, I find it to go into skin scent mode. Possibly I have some olfactory fatigue, but I don't get that vibe completely. Now, I am able to pick up on a very soft skin scent about 7hrs after spraying, and I was able to smell if on my hand the next morning after sleeping (which for the most part is a good thing)... My issue is I'm not convinced the sillage will be detected past 2hrs ( and possibly after 60 - 90mins).

I've been having this debate in my head since I started liking this more and more.. I wonder, If Creed Viking had the same exact juice released by a designer fragrance company - lets say "Mont Blanc". Would it have done as well as it has? I feel like I have this thinking that because it's the prestigious "Creed", that the fragrance MUST be high quality. But if it was released by Mont Blanc, would people like it the same? The performance would merit a Mont Blanc price range imo. I certainly think the hype would be less because Creed has such a big reputation in this field. hope that makes sense, just kinda rambling, but those are the thoughts that go through my head while I'm driving my self nuts with big bottle worthy purchases.

I did end up buying a new Viking 100ml bottle, like literally just a few mins ago. Batch number 18B01. I snared it at auction for $142.50, I feel I like I got a pretty good deal given my performance considerations. I look forward to generously spraying myself to get a better picture of it's performance...With the 2ml sample, I only really spray it 3 sprays at a time. Wish me luck!!

From a Basenotes Newbie's perspective - I really don't understand why there's so much bickering in these threads - that irrelevant content (although sometimes funny), simply wastes my time and the time of others that are only looking for fragrance specific content. I would like to say thanks to everyone who contributed to the Official Creed Viking Threads - Parts 1 & 2, you helped me get a bigger picture of this frag.

Welcome to Basenotes, CL.

Your initial take on it sounds pretty much like mine when it first came out. As far as just the overall smell goes, I did like it from the start. But I was unhappy with it because of its price (you could ONLY buy it from Creed when it first came out) and because of its VERY limited projection and longevity. I was also working from just the sample at the time, so I wasn't able to give myself a good spraying with it until I finally bought my first bottle.

Fast forward a couple of years later and I will say that Viking does seem to be ANOTHER Creed that seems to "blossom" in the bottle with time. Not all Creeds do this, but there's no question that some do. And I would add Viking to the list because, for me, the overall performance of the juice is much better than it was when I first sprayed the bottle. So if your opinion is the same after initially spraying your bottle, give it some time to "bloom".

Viking is extremely versatile and appropriate for any occasion. And I can't imagine anyone being offended by the smell, so it's a great office/work scent.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Basenotes Plus

I think my bottle of Viking performs fantastically. I get smells of it with movement at 14 hours, not digging in. I'm not sure it projects, but I smell it on myself. Longevity to me is really good, not even just above average.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstitutionLost View Post
    I've been having this debate in my head since I started liking this more and more.. I wonder, If Creed Viking had the same exact juice released by a designer fragrance company - lets say "Mont Blanc". Would it have done as well as it has? I feel like I have this thinking that because it's the prestigious "Creed", that the fragrance MUST be high quality. But if it was released by Mont Blanc, would people like it the same? The performance would merit a Mont Blanc price range imo. I certainly think the hype would be less because Creed has such a big reputation in this field. hope that makes sense, just kinda rambling, but those are the thoughts that go through my head while I'm driving my self nuts with big bottle worthy purchases.
    Welcome to the group and well done on a great first post.
    You make an interesting point. I bought a bottle as well but ended up moving it on not long after. It's an OK scent but just not worth that price in my opinion. If you got it for less than retail, then that's good.
    On the point of whether there is a designer scent like it, the answer is not quite a designer scent, but a niche and still cheaper than Creed's price point. It's Villoresi's Piper Nigrum (= black pepper) which isn't exactly the same but has a close resemblance to it. Both have a weird moth-ball like opening, a nice peppery heart and an attractive woody, slightly sweet dry-down.

Basenotes Junkie

Wore Viking yesterday after a really long break, at least 6 month and I got an olfactory orgasm! It was a perfect combination together with my smart casual style - fresh, masculine, classy, but modern. Love it!

First post here.....
    Reading all your comments makes me sad..... I love this scent but on me it has literally no longevity or sillage. I am using 4-6 sprays. In like 2 hours i can barely smell it. Got it from costco- S9618E01 (anyone got this one?)

I am still optimistic and will try to exchange or if i cant, return it and rebuy it at a later time. I love how this one smells. I hope i just got a bad batch.
    Currently wearing: Layton by Parfums de Marly

Quote Originally Posted by Cg006 View Post
    First post here.....
    Reading all your comments makes me sad..... I love this scent but on me it has literally no longevity or sillage. I am using 4-6 sprays. In like 2 hours i can barely smell it. Got it from costco- S9618E01 (anyone got this one?)

I am still optimistic and will try to exchange or if i cant, return it and rebuy it at a later time. I love how this one smells. I hope i just got a bad batch.
    There is a decent chance you are over spraying and burning your sense of smell out. Other than traditional colognes like 4711 that are meant to dissipate quickly, I can't think of anything else that is completely gone in two hours with six sprays. I haven't come across anything that dies out that quickly with half a dozen sprays, especially from Creed sprayers, which tend to put out a lot of juice.

I did a single spray of Viking under my shirt the other day, and I was getting nice wafts of it throughout the day. I will say that the first 30 minutes or so I couldn't smell much, since I think I inhaled deeply right after applying and overwhelmed my nose. After that initial half an hour or so I was able to clearly smell it. Before returning your bottle, try taking a break from the scent for a few days and then trying with just one spray under your shirt.

Basenotes Junkie

First post here.....

I recently ordered one from Costco, but I got 17W01 and it’s a phenomenal performer for me (I’ve had 17U01 and 18B01 in decants before this and all performed well). I wore it yesterday and got 12 hours of longevity with 3-4 hours of solid projection. Used 3 sprays.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigserver1 View Post
    I recently ordered one from Costco, but I got 17W01 and itís a phenomenal performer for me (Iíve had 17U01 and 18B01 in decants before this and all performed well). I wore it yesterday and got 12 hours of longevity with 3-4 hours of solid projection. Used 3 sprays.

Just wanted to clarify about the sprays... I started with 2. And it just fizzled out so fast. So i increased it. I even sprayed on my clothes since some scents will linger for a while. By lunch i couldn't even smell it. Ive been told maybe i just have a bad bottle. I am looking into exchanging it.

I can spray GIT in the morning and through the day i could still smell it in my shirt collar. Viking.... it like non existent.

Just wanted to clarify about the sprays... I started with 2. And it just fizzled out so fast. So i increased it. I even sprayed on my clothes since some scents will linger for a while. By lunch i couldn't even smell it. Ive been told maybe i just have a bad bottle. I am looking into exchanging it.

I can spray GIT in the morning and through the day i could still smell it in my shirt collar. Viking.... it like non existent.
    Interesting! I likewise ordered a bottle off of Costco, it should arrive either tomorrow or Monday. I'll let you know my batch and how it performs. The one I sprayed earlier this week was a tester at Nordstrom, so I don't know what batch that was.

I can put 2-3 sprays of Aventus, GIT, ADG profumo, AHSEE, Royal Water and i can still smell it throughout the day. Jut keeps radiating in waves of smelly goodness. Since i spray my neck my collars also pick up the smell and it can last a few days.

First post here.....

Welcome to Basenotes.

Give your bottle some time to age a little. Some Creeds are well known to "blossom" in the bottle over time, so it's possible that your Viking will do the same. I know mine did.

But the one that really bloomed for me was a 2010 bottle of GIT. When I first got it in 2011, it literally smelled like nothing when I sprayed it. After a few months I tried it again and there was a noticeable difference. Now, 9 years later, it's an absolutely beautiful/powerful fragrance.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Basenotes Plus

As my bottle has matured so far the cinnamon, that I couldn't smell when I first bought this over 2 years ago, is now easily detectable. Maceration has given this scent a new character for me. I still think this is a complex, ever-changing masterpiece. I still don't get the whole "Old Spice" comparisons as this is very, very different in terms of the woods and the Aldehydes and the mint. The only comparison to Old Spice would be the "genre" of old school aftershaves. The scent itself bears no comparison for me. Viking is a highly original scent that clearly is tipping a hat to an older style.
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

I started with 2 and it was barely detectable. Tried again in case I was just having a bad day but had exactly the same experience.
    Had to go up to 6 sprays to get the performance I get from most scents with 3 sprays which makes it's price doubly inflated to me.
    Considering I see it as no more than a decent designer scent I'd be paying about 5 times what it's worth to me.

I agree. Viking has strong longevity and projection. Have you tried Jovoy's l'art du Guerre? It is another gorgeous freshy with a hubarb note. Close call as to which one my wife prefers!
    Currently wearing:
    Amouage Journey Man
    Frederick Malle French Lover
    Creed Viking (trialling it)

Wearing 3 sprays of Viking today. Very nice.
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Longevity from both different bottles i have are all day. I do 4 sprays, each side neck, each forearm. I can detext it after mist of the day has gone. Could need to blossom, or nose fatigue.

Viking as amazing!!! I also recently purchased my first bottle of it through Costco and performs just as well as the 50ml decant I had before (release time decant). Need to check which Batch did I get.
    Top 10 Seasonal Favorites - Fall 2019:
    Roja Creation E Parfum (Enigma)
    Roja Sweetie Aoud
    Roja F&M the Exclusive Perfume
    Roja Fetish
    Xerjoff Alexandria Orientale
    Xerjoff Naxos
    Xerjoff Uden Overdose
    Initio - Rehab
    Parfums de Marly Herod
    Dior Homme Parfum

What did Costco price it at? Just curious. I'm a member but can't find anything but the womens' Aventus on their site. Maybe it sold out.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Seyrig by Bruno Fazzolari

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    What did Costco price it at? Just curious. I'm a member but can't find anything but the womens' Aventus on their site. Maybe it sold out.
    It was on sale for $160. 100ml bottle. I believe itís already sold out. This was over a week ago.

On a side note- 3 sprays of Royal Oud from a 25mm decant. I can still smell it and itís projecting. By now my Viking. Arch would be non existing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Yep. We missed the boat.

I've been wanting to buy a backup Viking for a while too, but most places are asking more for it now than when it first came out. I wish I caught that Costco sale when it was around.
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

It was on sale for $160. 100ml bottle. I believe it’s already sold out. This was over a week ago.
    That's a real good price.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 LastLast