Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Community Manager

Default The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

Thread one is 63 pages long, time to start a new thread and perhaps get a few new perspectives on Viking?

Thread one is here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/429...-Viking-Thread
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

Default Re: The Official Creed Viking Thread - Part 2

what batch are we talking about now ?

Dependent

Finally received my original Viking sample. After not receiving the original I had emailed one and got a sample shortly after, but they didn't put any postage on it so I had to go to the post office to pay postage. This one actually had postage on it. I guess they finally sent out the original requests for samples.

Ive come to appreciate Viking. It's pleasant and my other half loves it. Not sure if ill get another decant once Ive used my 20mls though.
    Currently wearing: Chrome Pure by Azzaro

Quote Originally Posted by guitarphil View Post
    Finally received my original Viking sample. After not receiving the original I had emailed one and got a sample shortly after, but they didn't put any postage on it so I had to go to the post office to pay postage. This one actually had postage on it. I guess they finally sent out the original requests for samples.
    i noticed that many people are receiving their samples in the past few days even those who only did one request 2 months ago.
    Currently wearing: Lost Cherry by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by joov84 View Post
    i noticed that many people are receiving their samples in the past few days even those who only did one request 2 months ago.
    My guess would be Creed must have had trouble meeting the initial demand and things could be evening back out after the initial rush of interest. It will be interesting to see what the long term success is for this fragrance.

I give them no points and no credit. Never got my sample.

However, good ol' Neimans came through......twice!
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

After 3 different full wears of this; I'm slightly changing my mind to the "middle of the road" or lukewarm (5/10) whereas I liked it enough (3.5/10) to purchase since it fit a particular corner of my wardrobe that only one other scent occupies.

I don't regret the purchase; however I am starting to think that I will not be reaching for this as much as other scents I own. Luckily enough, the wife likes it well enough - it's one of her faves. Just wish the longevity was a greater though. But the hushed projection fits alongside my other Creed favorite (Windsor/Royal Mayfair).

And here's to hoping that this discussion remains civil. Even in disagreement.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I'd like to compliment the great way this thread is starting out. In fact, the mods have decided we're going to keep it this way.

Have fun!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Night by Azzaro

Still haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure it's just overrated like most Creeds. Nevertheless, if anyone wants to sample swap, and has Viking, hit me up.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Jaguar Pace by Jaguar

So can I just spray this on my arm 3 or 4 times at my local Neiman Marcus and then leave? I've never stepped foot inside but I really want to know what this smells like.

After wearing my sample for a couple days it has really grown on me. Longevity is great and the fresh rain forest vibe with the spices is enjoyable. I love the salt and sandlewood notes, and I also find myself smelling it throughout the day and discovering new notes. It is incredibly complex yet the first two applications seemed pretty lack luster for some odd reason. just don’t think it’s worth the 400+ retail price. know there’s a lot of hype around it but I really think it will take its place next to Green Irish Tweed and Aventus as one of Creeds top offerings.

I really like it, it's becoming my go-to work scent for Autumn. Getting a lot of rotation at the moment. As someone above me said, it's a complex scent that reveals new facets over time. I think it smells best around 30mins-1hr after applying.

Still waiting for my sample. For those in the know, have we officially decided the color of the bottle? Orange? Red? I'm guessing orange.
    THE COLOGNNOISSEUR
    OMAHA, NE
    USA

It's definitely red - bright fire engine red!

Rain forest? Now that sounds interesting.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Jaguar Pace by Jaguar

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    It's definitely red - bright fire engine red!
    I like this description.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I like this description.
    Thanks hednic!

Can't remember when my last blind buy was (quelle horreur!), so... I've just ordered Viking. The discussions here have intrigued me. Will definitely report back.
    For swap/sale: Fougère Royale, AdP Colonia Club, Tauer Lonesome Rider, MDCI Cuir Garamante, vintage Tiffany for Men, 1 Million Intense, Montale Cuir D'Arabie, Bentley Intense, Prada Amber PH Intense, Prada Amber PH metal travel spray, Loewe PH, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Obsession, others.
    http://tinyurl.com/ju9yuu6 (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/hx7yws8
    (sales)
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

Duplicate post
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 13th November 2017 at 08:24 AM.

Subtle spices over synthetic woody ambers. First impression? Just another glorified mall scent from the House of Creed. But there’s some fairly interesting undercurrents that warrant a repeated wearing, especially if you’d spent all that moolah on a bottle. If you haven’t though, it’s probably best to go with first impressions.

I'm still at a loss on this one. Top notes alone, this is revolting. But the dry down really is quite nice. Nothing groundbreaking, but actually quite bearable. I could live with that. But as others have said, it's a 'mall scent' or something too generic, so I am still on the fence about it. Maybe I ought to be getting 5-10ml and see if I keep coming back to it.

At the weekend I had an interesting experience. I happened to be at the shops, so I put some on my hand (just a light spritz). As I also wanted to test another scent, I put quite a lot of the other one on my neck (not for the purposes of doing a side-by-side I might add). It was Chanel AHS Eau Extreme.

After going home about an hour later, everyone was telling me that I smelled "lovely". I proceeded to ask each person what it was they were smelling that was so nice - I let them sniff both hand and neck. Everyone told me it was my neck after they came close to take a sniff. They all described the scent on my hand as 'awful', 'digusting', etc. Thing is, I was getting whiffs of Viking and enjoyed it more than the Chanel. In fact I liked the opening of the Chanel and the heart especially, but now my scarf has that dry-down note on it and I am getting a headache from it.

I think I'll try Viking again on its own and see if it projects better. It could be one of those 'new age' scents (as I like to call them now) that tends to smell really good from further away but gets overwhelming up close. I am going to try and settle this once and for all, but agree the price point is off-putting.
    Currently wearing: Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Jack103 View Post
    So can I just spray this on my arm 3 or 4 times at my local Neiman Marcus and then leave? I've never stepped foot inside but I really want to know what this smells like.
    Yes, you can. If you feel nervous about it you can always say you'll go for a walk around he store to let it settle on the skin.

I tried it this weekend at the department store and I was warned about the opening. I kinda like the opening. Then it gets dull. I really hope my little brother wont be over the moon with this one too. Its nothing special. I'd rather get him a a fancy Tom Ford one or Andy Tauer.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.
    Currently wearing: Poison Pear by Voronoi

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I'm still at a loss on this one. Top notes alone, this is revolting. But the dry down really is quite nice. Nothing groundbreaking, but actually quite bearable. I could live with that. But as others have said, it's a 'mall scent' or something too generic, so I am still on the fence about it. Maybe I ought to be getting 5-10ml and see if I keep coming back to it.

At the weekend I had an interesting experience. I happened to be at the shops, so I put some on my hand (just a light spritz). As I also wanted to test another scent, I put quite a lot of the other one on my neck (not for the purposes of doing a side-by-side I might add). It was Chanel AHS Eau Extreme.

After going home about an hour later, everyone was telling me that I smelled "lovely". I proceeded to ask each person what it was they were smelling that was so nice - I let them sniff both hand and neck. Everyone told me it was my neck after they came close to take a sniff. They all described the scent on my hand as 'awful', 'digusting', etc. Thing is, I was getting whiffs of Viking and enjoyed it more than the Chanel. In fact I liked the opening of the Chanel and the heart especially, but now my scarf has that dry-down note on it and I am getting a headache from it.

I think I'll try Viking again on its own and see if it projects better. It could be one of those 'new age' scents (as I like to call them now) that tends to smell really good from further away but gets overwhelming up close. I am going to try and settle this once and for all, but agree the price point is off-putting.
    I have some on clothing after testing and it smells great. Obviously it's subjective but there is something about the dry-down for me that keeps me coming back for more.

You may be right with your theory that it smells better from further away. When I tested it, I wasn't impressed when I kept sniffing my hand (not until later in the dry-down, anyway).

I've ordered a 20ml decant. For me it's worth getting that amount for that dry-down. If I continue to like it, I'll order more.

Finally got my 10 ml of this, after bypassing the whole free sample deal. First impression - underwhelmed. Smells like a mall scent to me. Nothing I have to scrape off my wrists, but nothing I couldn't live without. I have no problem with it, but this is no Aventus killer, not by a mile or a light year, imho. This is very average. Wife unit said "Eh....whatever."
    Last edited by tostig; 14th November 2017 at 01:03 AM.

Well I'll be dang... the sample from Creed finally showed up today. Originally requested in August 27th, received November 13th. I totally wrote this off...
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

Using Viking for nearly 8 weeks (2 months) and it's found a home with me. I get great longevity (10+ hours) and my better half loves it. It has quickly risen to one of my favorite Creeds.

The name, the bottle, and the fragrance are a complete mismatch to me. I like the "rain forest" description (never occurred to me), but the tropics and vikings are a suspect combination!

Crazy how differently this one can be perceived by individual noses. I actually love the opening of this one all the way through the dry down, but actually wished it was a bit more linear so I could keep smelling the opening throughout. I may be the only one on this, but I actually like this more than Spice and Wood which I was going to buy. It's like having Spice and Wood with a bunch more things added in. I decided I wasn't going to get Spice and Wood a few weeks ago after wearing my old bottle of Essenza di Zegna, which sure smelled alot like Spice and Wood to my simple nose. I'll have to get S&W another wearing to see if I can break down the individual notes to differentiate it.
    Current Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    MFK Baccarat Rouge 540
    Creed Royal Oud
    Armani Prive Myrrhe Imperiale
    Amouage Jubilation XXV
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Amber Absolute
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Amouage Interlude Man
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais

Well, everybody Hello I just received my cardet Sample of Viking yesterday fairly fast after request, my impressions, first remind me something from previous Creed maybe Tabourome Millesime, but anyways not long lasting nice smell but not in the League of Aventus , VIW, GIT, Royal Oud, etc , and thats all for me would not go for a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I'm still at a loss on this one. Top notes alone, this is revolting.
    I gave my sample to my 17 year old son. I don't even like it on him. I have to say, the more I have experienced Viking, it may be my least favorite Creed I've tried. Just being honest.
    At first I thought it passed for pleasant, but something in it almost makes me queasy.

And if you've been on basenotes long, you'll know I'm a Creed fanboy.

Every scent is not for everybody. Viking ain't for me.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast