Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Aggressive ads

o
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Aggressive ads

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Same here. And l don't like to feel l'm being herded like a sheep.
    Sure. But ads are the only source of funding for a lot of good stuff on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDalloway View Post
    Sure. But ads are the only source of funding for a lot of good stuff on the internet.
    This is true, but most advertisers go overboard with their ads. The classic example is telly ads, and now YouTube has become just as bad interrupting videos not only at the beginning and end but even during the middle. There is a tipping point for everyone and everything. Somewhere along the way aggravation, frustration, and weariness outweigh everything else. For example, have you ever noticed how one is unable to leave the room during telly commercials without the telly volume virtually doubling or tripling during the duration of the commercials? The FCC prohibits this, but they do it anyway. It is the mentality that says "the viewer shall not escape our commercials even if we have to blast the volume so that it can be heard two or more rooms away." This tactic does not draw in people; it pushes them away. I for one left commercial telly thirty-plus years ago. I refuse to screen commercial stations. Between the crude and often lewd ads and the all too often insipid, low brow programming that panders to the lowest common denominator, I had to ask the rhetorical question "who needs this?" PBS gives me everything I want and need in telly programming---high quality programming that does not pander to the lowest common denominator---and, they do it without ads.

I do not see the Internet as being much different from telly. I can ignore virtually any ads on web pages until they begin to barrage me with loud, intrusive ads. In the rare instance that I may be interested in an ad's content, I will click on it, but if I am not interested, I do not want the advertiser to try to force it down my throat as it were. As an aside, I do not believe advertisers are able to tell who and how many people use ad blocking programmes. However, the fact that ad blocking programmes are so popular amply demonstrates how sick and tired are people of being deluged with ads everywhere they go. Billboards, telly and radio commercials, YouTube ads, robo telemarketing, print ads, point of sale ads, junk mail, website ads, and now even ads loudly playing on monitors in queues at the supermarket where it is difficult to escape unless one wants to walk off and leave one's purchases behind---enough is bloody enough!
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts
    Currently wearing: Chloé Narcisse by Chloé

Blog Entries

Nice rant, Oriane! And l agree with every word, except l do watch commercial TV, by recording shows first & then fast-forwarding through the ads.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Alien by Thierry Mugler

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Nice rant, Oriane! And l agree with every word, except l do watch commercial TV, by recording shows first & then fast-forwarding through the ads.
    I used to do the same thing for sports programming on commercial telly until my old VCR finally succumbed to old age some years ago. I replaced it with another VCR which broke down within a year of purchase (literally days after the manufacturer warranty expired), but it was not worth repairing due to cost---the tuner died, and it was the most expensive part in the unit, and the manufacturer no longer manufactured the part even. I used to be able to record directly from the telly until they switched broadcasts from analog to digital a few years ago. The new tellies do not have tuners in them any longer, so unless one has cable or satellite, it is impossible to record over the air broadcasts directly unless one purchases a separate "converter box" for the newer telly. They call all of this progress. I have another theory about it, but I will not go into that now.

I loathe commercials in any case.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts
    Currently wearing: Chloé Narcisse by Chloé

Blog Entries

Ah. Satellite TV has been my saviour in that regard.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Alien by Thierry Mugler

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2