Code of Conduct

Default Vintage: Bottles or Giftsets?

Just a quick question for the vintage collectors.

Which is more sought after.. bottles in their boxes or gift sets? Something tells me both would be worth similar amounts but for some reason I feel the boxed bottle would be slightly more desirable.

For example: If you had a 100ml Kouros sealed in original box.. and you had an 100ml Kouros in a giftset.. maybe with a little extra tube, shower gel or aftershave balm or something.

Whilst I know if you're buying the giftset you're probably only buying it for the bottle.. the other stuff not really mattering.. in that case, which would be the most desirable vintage? Or would it be irrelevant?

Thanks
    Last edited by MonsieurChanel; 14th November 2017 at 10:39 AM.

Default Re: Vintage: Bottles or Giftsets?

Good question. I would imagine everyone has different views on this. Personally I am not usually particularly interested in the 'other stuff', only the fragrance itself, so I would not pay a premium to have a giftset over a single boxed bottle. In fact I actively avoid giftsets as a boxed bottle takes far less space in my limited amount available too.

in a fragrant coma always

When buying vintage, I stay away from gift sets with lotion or shower gel, and the like. Lotions and gels have shelf lives. Anything over 2 years old, I wouldn't trust. Bar soaps or powders, may be usable.
    blah, blah, blah...

I see exactly what you mean, but I'm wondering more from the perspective if for example you didn't really care about the "extras". Say you were just buying for the bottle itself.

If having to buy any vintage fragrance and really wanted to get that particular fragrance, would personally choose either without any clear, distinctive preference, possibly with a marginal preference in favor of the gift set especially if the price difference is minimal-but all in all would be happy with whichever of the two is available
    Currently wearing: Ambré Noble by Zara

I forgot to add, as I keep fragrances in their original boxes I'd probably go for the standard boxed fragrance over the giftsets myself.

I would prefer the gift set over the individual fragrance. Even if the other stuff expires, it's a neat little time capsule, and seems even harder to find than just the boxed fragrance.

in a fragrant coma always

I suppose if I really, really wanted a particular scent, I'd purchase it with the additional items. Especially, if there were no other option. If the extra items came in interesting containers, worth keeping for display, I could easily empty their contents.
    blah, blah, blah...

I have not done research on this, but my little experience suggests you are right, gift sets don't demand a premium or anything, and don't seem to be collectable per se. What matters is the perfume. But since the market is much smaller, it's harder to say.

cacio

I agree
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsieurChanel View Post
    I forgot to add, as I keep fragrances in their original boxes I'd probably go for the standard boxed fragrance over the giftsets myself.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieurChanel View Post
    Just a quick question for the vintage collectors.

Which is more sought after.. bottles in their boxes or gift sets? Something tells me both would be worth similar amounts but for some reason I feel the boxed bottle would be slightly more desirable.
    Monsieur, I think it varies from fragrance to fragrance.
    If it's something ultra rare for example, I'm sure it wouldn't matter to most. Packaging is always good to have (as most frag-heads know already) so I guess that implies the 'not a gift set' answer. But I find there is no 'one size fits all' answer here. There are to many variables (IMO) to take into account.