Code of Conduct

Default Have a doubt about Pure Malt (reformulation) Pics and a crazy story inside.

Hi there!

A few weeks ago I bought a bottle of Pure Malt from a fishy vendor on the streets of my city, I paid around 15 Us dollars for the bottle and didn't mind if it was original or a cheap imitation, the box seemed original enough and when I got home I searched for its code on checkcosmetic and check fresh and both sites list it as a 2015-02 batch.

I stumbled upon a place on downton mexico city where you can find lots of perfumes at very cheap prices, some seem very fishy (sometimes people pay for empty bottles, dunno if also for the boxes) but I thought (who woul'd like to fake a flanker?) and this was the only bottle, the box was battered and the bottle has its marks but nevertheless was full. I also found some bottles of dior homme, homme sport, intense, one million and bvlgari black at the same prices but I was very short on cash and with no access to an atm so I only bought that.

IMG_20171113_211448.jpg

The smell is pretty strong, pretty rich, it gives me around 3-4 hours of sillage and lasts on my skin for around 12 hours without problem, and 12+ on my clothes, that thing is a beast! But there is a single problem:

Last week I went to my local mall and found the stand of Thiery Mugler on two different department stores (Palacio de Hierro and Liverpool -both are like SEARS-).

But they have on exhibition a new bottle, the box has a circular logo on top, and the bottle has the ingridients and the name of the fragrance embbeded in gold letters. All the other aspects remain the same, rubbery bottle and shitty sprayer/button included.

I then applied the fragrance on the back of my hand (Palacio on my left hand and Liverpool on the right) and it was the same weak smell, with little resemblance to the one I found, both applications left my hand oily (as if I had applied perfume) but the performance was very weak, with around 30mins of sillage and a longevity of around 3 hours before dissappearing. The price is around $90 us dollars.

What is happening? This was supossed to be a beast, has it been reformulated? Was it always like that? Which is the real deal? the cheap bottle I found or the very expensive and mediocre one on the mall?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Have a doubt about Pure Malt (reformulation) Pics and a crazy story inside.

I've only tried it once, about a year ago. I was in a big department store and gave it a spritz, rough alcohol smell, I waited, and nothing! To me, it was super weak and barely detectable. Perhaps it's supposed to smell like you've just rubbed a little booze on your arm.
    Currently wearing: Cuirs by Carner Barcelona

Default Re: Have a doubt about Pure Malt (reformulation) Pics and a crazy story inside.

Some people claim that A*men and Pure Malt have great performance, my bottle has great performance but I don't know if that is the intended smell (woody and boozy) or if the department stores is the intended smell (Weak woody and not boozy smell)

I bought mine online about six months ago. I haven't worn it much but, from what I remember, it lasts quite a long time and seems pretty potent. Your post has got me wondering, though. I'm going to check it out tonight and I'll report back.
    Currently wearing: Oud Immortel by Byredo

Quote Originally Posted by davidson View Post
    I bought mine online about six months ago. I haven't worn it much but, from what I remember, it lasts quite a long time and seems pretty potent. Your post has got me wondering, though. I'm going to check it out tonight and I'll report back.
    But how is your bottle? Some posts on here claimed that 2009 batch is the real deal, later the 2015 batch claimed it is a reformulation and maybe this is a new shitty reformulation, I don't know.

TM probably tweaked the formula.

This was an insanely strong fragrance originally with superb tenacity and performance along with its rich smell. Can't speak on the latest version though.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by davidson View Post
    from what I remember, it lasts quite a long time and seems pretty potent.
    Mine happens to be quite potent.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

My recent bottle is potent as well.

I just think Pure Malt doesn’t match up well against its it’s more expensive competitors. Take Nasomatto Baraonda, which is light years better. This may seem obvious to some and snobbish to others. But in any case, the value equation doesn’t work as well for me here as it would with some other fragrances that punch above their weight.
    Last edited by NickZee; 14th November 2017 at 09:32 PM.

I have a 2016 bottle with very good performance

I purchased mine in 2014 or so and its a weak formula. I've always wondered about the potency of this juice, especially because of the reputation A*Men has. Also, because people on here have said they get great performance m thinking the formula was changed recently.

Could anyone post photos of his bottle/box? My doesn't have that circle printed on the white top but I just entered to the website circle.mugler.com, created my account and I was able to register the code printed on the inside of my box, only problem is that every video review I've seen of that fragrance from 2015 or actual is different from my box, and not knowing if the smell I have is the original and intended one is killing me!

Your box looks genuine to me. If I'm correct the original box (without 'Limited Edition' on the front) had a circular gold sticker on the cellophane wrapper but nothing on the box itself, just like yours. The later version (with 'Limited Edition' printed on the front of the box) has a circular white logo on the box top. This version is somewhat weaker in strength. I think yours is a late bottle of the original 'strong' formulation.

I bought it around 3 years back and it works very well. Long lasting and rich smell. your box and the bottle looks legit. The tester bottle carries those golden notes pyramid on the back.
    ------------------------------------------------
    For what its worth!

They did recently change to box to look like this with the new Mugler logo:

https://goo.gl/images/bgfDuJ

My 2012 bottle looks like this one:

https://goo.gl/images/cxf1dt

Quote Originally Posted by actstunt View Post
    But how is your bottle? Some posts on here claimed that 2009 batch is the real deal, later the 2015 batch claimed it is a reformulation and maybe this is a new shitty reformulation, I don't know.
    My bottle is the plain black rubbery one without any gold letters or a circle logo as you described. It appears to be from August 2015 according to Check Cosmetic and it smells perfect and as powerful as I would expect. It is definitely not weak.
    Currently wearing: Oud Immortel by Byredo

If you bought it in Mexico city for that price (I'm from Mexico) you most likely were sold a refilled bottle. Even if they gave you the box. These people buy the box and the empty bottle for let's say $2 dollars. Then they refill it and sell it for $15 like in your case. If you notice the box is kinda worn, which means someone used it before you. Not trying to get you down, but I could bet you don't have an original fragrance my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by sic1337 View Post
    If you bought it in Mexico city for that price (I'm from Mexico) you most likely were sold a refilled bottle. Even if they gave you the box. These people buy the box and the empty bottle for let's say $2 dollars. Then they refill it and sell it for $15 like in your case. If you notice the box is kinda worn, which means someone used it before you. Not trying to get you down, but I could bet you don't have an original fragrance my friend.
    That's what I thought at first but:

•who would like to fake a flanker?
    •The color of the fragrance is the same there is no change or another color, again who woul'd put so much effort in that.
    •the code worked on mugler cirle.
    •The codes on the box and the bottle are the same.
    •And last but not least: the smell is really powerful as I have stated before, I really liked it, I've received compliments already both from strangers and close friends/family, and what if I want to buy another one? I won't be able to do it and I won't get the same smell because the new bottles lack that power.

Maybe I'll go to the same vendor and buy some more bottles and see how they fare against the real ones. Not everything must be reformulated.
    Last edited by actstunt; 15th November 2017 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by actstunt View Post
    That's what I thought at first but:

•who would like to fake a flanker?
    •The color of the fragrance is the same there is no change or another color, again who woul'd put so much effort in that.
    •the code worked on mugler cirle.
    •The codes on the box and the bottle are the same.
    •And last but not least: the smell is really powerful as I have stated before, I really liked it, I've received compliments already both from strangers and close friends/family, and what if I want to buy another one? I'll can't and I won't get the same smell because the new bottles lack that power.

Maybe I'll go to the same vendor and buy some more bottles and see how they fare against the real ones. Not everything must be reformulated.
    I agree. Sounds like a lot of work for $13. Perhaps it had been stolen from a shop.
    Currently wearing: Cuirs by Carner Barcelona

Edit.
    Last edited by Hothamwater; 15th November 2017 at 11:03 PM.