Code of Conduct

Default wool or cashmere?

Been looking into cashmere sweaters lately. I like it's feel and warmth, but caring for it takes effort. Which is warmer between the two?
    Earn $25 when one friend makes a purchase. They'll get $10.

https://www.ebates.com/r/CHICHI1336?eeid=28187

Default Re: wool or cashmere?

They're both warm but one is softer and gets you more cuddles.
    Currently wearing: Acteur by Azzaro

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

For me - cashmere.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Two-ply cashmere is generally warmer (and more comfortable)...but is also more expensive. I generally try for cashmere sweaters, but will definitely be happy with merino wool.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Speaking of "warmth", anyone here ever mess with Alpaca based clothing? From what I understand wool is from sheep (?), cashmere is from goats? There should be a fancy name for Alpaca based clothing.

I read Uniqlo sells cashmere for less than $100.

Quote Originally Posted by snifsnif View Post
    Speaking of "warmth", anyone here ever mess with Alpaca based clothing? From what I understand wool is from sheep (?), cashmere is from goats? There should be a fancy name for Alpaca based clothing.

I have a few alpaca sweaters which I like. They're soft, but not as soft as cashmere.

- - - Updated - - -

Even in Brick and Mortar stores at this time of year you can find cashmere for under $100.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Is it the kind of "cashmere" that comes from China and seems to have an awful lots of grey rabbit hair in it?

How do you know what's in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Suspended View Post
    Is it the kind of "cashmere" that comes from China and seems to have an awful lots of grey rabbit hair in it?
    - - - Updated - - -

which company you got your alpaca sweaters from?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I have a few alpaca sweaters which I like. They're soft, but not as soft as cashmere.

- - - Updated - - -

Even in Brick and Mortar stores at this time of year you can find cashmere for under $100.

My alpaca sweaters were Armani.

How do you know what's in it?

- - - Updated - - -

I've never known cashmere to have short white hairs through it and the Chinese process a lot of rabbit fur. They try to recycle the leftovers into everything woolen. I've seen cheap cashmere that's full of those hairs. Keep your eye out.

Basenotes Plus

Uniqlo has merino wool jumpers and cardigans which are incredibly warm for how thin they are.

aren't they all made in China? I have one from H&M.

I've never known cashmere to have short white hairs through it and the Chinese process a lot of rabbit fur. They try to recycle the leftovers into everything woolen. I've seen cheap cashmere that's full of those hairs. Keep your eye out.
    - - - Updated - - -

Been curious if merino wool is different from just wool?

This description from Lands End: "merino wool is as close as wool gets to cashmere without actually being cashmere".

Are they saying that merino wool is the "cashmere" of all wools, therefore, it's not just regular "wool" but MERINO WOOL aka the "cashmere" of all wool? Did I paraphrase it right?

In terms of "prestige" or warmth, I'd assume cashmere is first, then Alpaca, then wool (or vice versa)? Is that how it goes? There's lambswool too. Is wool simply wool, those other sub names are just marketing stuff?

Isn't a cardigan more of a "style" of sweater not the material used?

I'm also curious if one should wear something underneath a sweater, like a thermal undershirt (Uniqlo etc.) or is a sweater to be worn as the sole source of "warmth", no undershirt thermal necessary (unless one is in North Dakota)?

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDalloway View Post
    Uniqlo has merino wool jumpers and cardigans which are incredibly warm for how thin they are.

I've got my cashmere jumpers and blanlets made in Mongolia. There is cashmere and cashmere, I would have to touch the one under 100$ to see if it even resembles what I'm used to call cashmere.

Yak wool is very warm and pleasant but I only have it as a blend. I have to find something made only of yak wool. Love it.

Cardigan can be made out of anything you like. It's just an 'open' sort of jumper. Often with buttons but they are not essential.

Just google the different types of wool. Meriono is just one.

Prestige, as I understood, means price to you? Or what is the prestige about?
    “You must have a perfume. A perfume is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?” Oscar Wilde

Prestige as in "quality" which is technically pricier. There's DVD and then there's Blue Ray DVD, you get what I'm saying?

Quote Originally Posted by Pallas Athena View Post
    I've got my cashmere jumpers and blanlets made in Mongolia. There is cashmere and cashmere, I would have to touch the one under 100$ to see if it even resembles what I'm used to call cashmere.

Yak wool is very warm and pleasant but I only have it as a blend. I have to find something made only of yak wool. Love it.

Cardigan can be made out of anything you like. It's just an 'open' sort of jumper. Often with buttons but they are not essential.

Just google the different types of wool. Meriono is just one.

Prestige, as I understood, means price to you? Or what is the prestige about?

Prestige as in "quality" which is technically pricier. There's DVD and then there's Blue Ray DVD, you get what I'm saying?

I fail to see why would one be objectively better than the other. Are oranges technically better than apples just because they cost more (at least here where I live anywa)? I don't think you understand the concept of quality. iIt's all about what parameter you are after. Some clothes are better made from wool some from cashmere. I wouldn't want a parachute from either. If you want pricey quality just go to Scabal. Why do you bother asking about 'prestige' when it should be obvious that one is more expensive than the other.

You must know that price is derived from simple arithmetic of supply and demand. English wool will be more prestigious in places where it is harder to get hold of it.

Today I'm wearing a jumper made from yarn of 60% wool 30% cashmere and 10% silk. If you want prestige just go for pure alpaca or silk.
    “You must have a perfume. A perfume is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?” Oscar Wilde

Do you guys use a portable dry cleaner to clean your wool or cashmere clothing such as this one:

https://www.swash.com

It's $300, not sure if it's worth it or maybe there's other alternatives out there than going to the dry cleaners. I'm not sure how a dry cleaning machine works if it uses steam to clean clothes or what but I'm looking around for it so I don't have to go to a dry cleaner.

Swash was $500 when it first came out according to this article:

https://www.wired.com/2014/09/heres-...n-your-closet/

Or how about these "garment steamers" for under $100:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...yABEgL2Q_D_BwE

https://www.target.com/p/sunbeam-174...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.boscovs.com/shop/prod/co...m?fromsearch=1
    Last edited by snifsnif; 29th November 2017 at 05:48 PM.

Dry cleaning doesn't use water in either form. Those machines won't sufficie as cleaning. They just 'refresh' clothes.

Doesn't your washing machine have something like 'wool mode'? If you could take pictures of the washing instructions from your clothes it would be easier for us to help. I imagine 20°C without any crazy spinning won't harm your precious clothes.

I love cashmere.

Merino has its place, too, more as a functional, utilitarian option, and depending on the knit, has a cleaner look.

I've been partial to Kinross for cashmere. They're not especially thick, but that's OK with me. I have a few heavier two-ply cashmere sweaters and don't wear them nearly as often.

Cashmere seems to retain more warmth for me.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I don't dry-clean my woolens because I don't like that residual chemical smell. I've seen drier sheets in the supermarket for dry cleaning in your own tumble drier. Not sure if they're any good.

I choose a gentle cycle on the washing machine, like Hand Wash, and set the temperature to cold (never wash wool in warm water unless you want it to shrink.) Use wool and silk soap. When the items are done, pull them back into shape and air dry on a towel or over a rail (never in the tumble drier or on a radiator.)

No my machine has delicates cold option which is probably the most gentle of all cycles. The sweater I bought says either dry clean or hand wash and dry flat. I hanged dry it and it stretched. I guess because of the water was heavy on the material it stretched it while hanging to dry. I'm sure there's a way for me to get it back to its original size by soaking it wet again using Woolite and then drying it flat this time on to a towel. It's a pain in the ass to leave it drying flat on a towel, I was hoping there's gotta be a better way to get this done faster and more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Pallas Athena View Post
    Dry cleaning doesn't use water in either form. Those machines won't sufficie as cleaning. They just 'refresh' clothes.

Doesn't your washing machine have something like 'wool mode'? If you could take pictures of the washing instructions from your clothes it would be easier for us to help. I imagine 20°C without any crazy spinning won't harm your precious clothes.
    - - - Updated - - -

I'd have to look for that kind of sheets then. Does that mean no washing machine is needed and just go straight to the dryer using the sheets? I'm assuming "delicate" setting in the dryer could be an alternative to dry cleaning considering it's not even warm, more like an air fluff. Are you talking about a product like this one:

https://www.target.com/p/dryel-at-ho...s/-/A-14711590

Air drying them over the shower curtain holder seem to stretch these wool sweaters out compared to drying them flat on a towel. Does it go back to its original size when it's dry though? I guess the water is heavy on the wool for it to be hanged dry.

I need to find a faster adsorbing towel other than this bathing towel.

I don't dry-clean my woolens because I don't like that residual chemical smell. I've seen drier sheets in the supermarket for dry cleaning in your own tumble drier. Not sure if they're any good.

I choose a gentle cycle on the washing machine, like Hand Wash, and set the temperature to cold (never wash wool in warm water unless you want it to shrink.) Use wool and silk soap. When the items are done, pull them back into shape and air dry on a towel or over a rail (never in the tumble drier or on a radiator.)
    Last edited by snifsnif; 30th November 2017 at 10:13 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post

I love cashmere.

Merino has its place, too, more as a functional, utilitarian option, and depending on the knit, has a cleaner look.
    Where does alpaca fall in this hierarchy?

And what exactly is mohair?
    Last edited by Cook.bot; 2nd December 2017 at 12:42 AM.

I just picked up at Walmart those dry clean sheets at home and it does work to my surprise! So it's $8.88 per box which includes 6 dry clean sheets. You put 1 sheet in the dryer set on medium heat and put your "dry clean only garments" (up to 5 garments) in the dryer for 20 minutes and voila, it's clean!

I tried it on my wool sweaters that was dry clean only and or hand wash only, and it even brought back my wool sweaters to their original size since when I hanged dried it it stretched really big! Check this out for a $2 coupon too:

http://www.drycleanerssecret.com

I think the sheets releases a special liquid since I could feel the sweaters were still slightly wet even though it was in the dryer on medium heat for 20 minutes without being on water!

Last edited by snifsnif; 2nd December 2017 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post

Not sure on either count!

Hednic mentioned owning some nice alpaca pieces, so maybe he can chime in. The only alpaca I’ve owned was from a shop in Peru, and it’s soft, but it was fairly ruggedly knitted (by design), so I think my impression is skewed. Not sure where it falls on average.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 3rd December 2017 at 01:43 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post

Mohair is that, big in the 80s, fluffy wool with an afro frizz. It casts everywhere and you end up picking fibres out of your mouth and scratching your eye a lot. Horrible stuff. My wife had a scarf made out of it and I had to ask her to bin it. I felt like I had the flu every time she wore it.

Basenotes Plus

Mohair is that, big in the 80s, fluffy wool with an afro frizz.
    From what animal?

Edit: Well, hell, I just succumbed to Wikipedia's fundraising pleas earlier today; I might as well put my pennies to use:

Mohair /ˈmoʊhɛər/ is usually a silk-like fabric or yarn made from the hair of the Angora goat.[1][2] Both durable and resilient, mohair is notable for its high luster and sheen,[2] which has helped gain it the nickname the "Diamond Fiber",[3] and is often used in fiber blends to add these qualities to a textile. Mohair takes dye exceptionally well. Mohair is warm in winter as it has excellent insulating properties, while remaining cool in summer due to its moisture wicking properties. It is durable, naturally elastic, flame resistant and crease resistant. It is considered to be a luxury fiber, like cashmere, angora and silk, and is usually more expensive than most wool that is produced by sheep.[citation needed].

Fine hair from younger animals is used for finer applications such as clothing, and the thicker hair from older animals is more often used for carpets and heavy fabrics intended for outerwear. Mohair should not be confused with the fur from the angora rabbit, which is called angora wool.

Angora goat. Reminds me a little of the young Roger Daltrey.

Last edited by Cook.bot; 3rd December 2017 at 12:52 AM.

Tomasz Starzewski wore a mohair suit in this interview.

Quote Originally Posted by stevediaz View Post
    I will choose cashmere any time anywhere....So there is no confusion for me...!
    Likewise.

Cashmere is warmer, Eric Bompard make some nice sweaters, and their socks can handle a regular machine wash. John Smedley makes good quality extra fine merino wool sweaters for warmer weather. For cashmere scarves, go Begg & Co, the quality is better than Johnstons and they're much cheaper as well.

Been looking into cashmere sweaters lately. I like it's feel and warmth, but caring for it takes effort. Which is warmer between the two?
    I personally love Cashmere as they provide better insulation and keep your body warm. You will need to choose the cashmere very properly as all cashmere are not equally soft and luxe.