Code of Conduct

Default wool or cashmere?

Been looking into cashmere sweaters lately. I like it's feel and warmth, but caring for it takes effort. Which is warmer between the two?
    I don't ever pay full price for a gift card, some of your favorite stores have gift cards selling for over 10% off. Buy them from Giftcard Granny:

https://www.giftcardgranny.com/secur...EE1m1EQQU3HMMR

Default Re: wool or cashmere?

They're both warm but one is softer and gets you more cuddles.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

For me - cashmere.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Two-ply cashmere is generally warmer (and more comfortable)...but is also more expensive. I generally try for cashmere sweaters, but will definitely be happy with merino wool.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Speaking of "warmth", anyone here ever mess with Alpaca based clothing? From what I understand wool is from sheep (?), cashmere is from goats? There should be a fancy name for Alpaca based clothing.

I read Uniqlo sells cashmere for less than $100.
    I don't ever pay full price for a gift card, some of your favorite stores have gift cards selling for over 10% off. Buy them from Giftcard Granny:

Quote Originally Posted by snifsnif View Post
    Speaking of "warmth", anyone here ever mess with Alpaca based clothing? From what I understand wool is from sheep (?), cashmere is from goats? There should be a fancy name for Alpaca based clothing.

I have a few alpaca sweaters which I like. They're soft, but not as soft as cashmere.

- - - Updated - - -

Even in Brick and Mortar stores at this time of year you can find cashmere for under $100.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Is it the kind of "cashmere" that comes from China and seems to have an awful lots of grey rabbit hair in it?

How do you know what's in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Suspended View Post
    Is it the kind of "cashmere" that comes from China and seems to have an awful lots of grey rabbit hair in it?
    - - - Updated - - -

which company you got your alpaca sweaters from?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I have a few alpaca sweaters which I like. They're soft, but not as soft as cashmere.

- - - Updated - - -

Even in Brick and Mortar stores at this time of year you can find cashmere for under $100.

My alpaca sweaters were Armani.

How do you know what's in it?

- - - Updated - - -

I've never known cashmere to have short white hairs through it and the Chinese process a lot of rabbit fur. They try to recycle the leftovers into everything woolen. I've seen cheap cashmere that's full of those hairs. Keep your eye out.

Basenotes Plus

Uniqlo has merino wool jumpers and cardigans which are incredibly warm for how thin they are.

aren't they all made in China? I have one from H&M.

Quote Originally Posted by Suspended View Post
    I've never known cashmere to have short white hairs through it and the Chinese process a lot of rabbit fur. They try to recycle the leftovers into everything woolen. I've seen cheap cashmere that's full of those hairs. Keep your eye out.
    - - - Updated - - -

Been curious if merino wool is different from just wool?

This description from Lands End: "merino wool is as close as wool gets to cashmere without actually being cashmere".

Are they saying that merino wool is the "cashmere" of all wools, therefore, it's not just regular "wool" but MERINO WOOL aka the "cashmere" of all wool? Did I paraphrase it right?

In terms of "prestige" or warmth, I'd assume cashmere is first, then Alpaca, then wool (or vice versa)? Is that how it goes? There's lambswool too. Is wool simply wool, those other sub names are just marketing stuff?

Isn't a cardigan more of a "style" of sweater not the material used?

I'm also curious if one should wear something underneath a sweater, like a thermal undershirt (Uniqlo etc.) or is a sweater to be worn as the sole source of "warmth", no undershirt thermal necessary (unless one is in North Dakota)?

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDalloway View Post
    Uniqlo has merino wool jumpers and cardigans which are incredibly warm for how thin they are.

I've got my cashmere jumpers and blanlets made in Mongolia. There is cashmere and cashmere, I would have to touch the one under 100$ to see if it even resembles what I'm used to call cashmere.

Yak wool is very warm and pleasant but I only have it as a blend. I have to find something made only of yak wool. Love it.

Cardigan can be made out of anything you like. It's just an 'open' sort of jumper. Often with buttons but they are not essential.

Just google the different types of wool. Meriono is just one.

Prestige, as I understood, means price to you? Or what is the prestige about?
    “You must have a perfume. A perfume is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?” Oscar Wilde

Prestige as in "quality" which is technically pricier. There's DVD and then there's Blue Ray DVD, you get what I'm saying?

Quote Originally Posted by Pallas Athena View Post
    I've got my cashmere jumpers and blanlets made in Mongolia. There is cashmere and cashmere, I would have to touch the one under 100$ to see if it even resembles what I'm used to call cashmere.

Yak wool is very warm and pleasant but I only have it as a blend. I have to find something made only of yak wool. Love it.

Cardigan can be made out of anything you like. It's just an 'open' sort of jumper. Often with buttons but they are not essential.

Just google the different types of wool. Meriono is just one.

Prestige, as I understood, means price to you? Or what is the prestige about?