Code of Conduct

Default How certain are you that your favorites won't change much over a 10+ year period?

I keep returning back to my favorites sometimes within weeks and sometimes within months', so I wonder where you guys stand with regards to your favorite fragrances over a lengthy period of let's say 10+ years.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: How certain are you that your favorites won't change much over a 10+ year period?

I'm not worried at all about any of my favorite fragrances in my collection changing. I store my fragrances optimally and ones I have even had for more than four decades are still fine today.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: How certain are you that your favorites won't change much over a 10+ year period?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I'm not worried at all about any of my favorite fragrances in my collection changing. I store my fragrances optimally and ones I have even had for more than four decades are still fine today.
    My question was about change is taste vs change in fragrances. I think I already know your answer, Gengis Khan has been your favorite over the years

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Tradition View Post
    My question was about change is taste vs change in fragrances. I think I already know your answer, Gengis Khan has been your favorite over the years
    You're right about that one!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I doubt my current favorites will change, but there are always new ones introduced that I might add to them.

Some of them haven't lost their place in the past ten years.

After living few years with a fragrance, you just know. Also, it's not exactly a tragedy if you stop wearing a given fragrance at some point.

Not! (how certain are you that you are still there over a 10+ period...?)
    Last edited by Trauerkraut; 18th November 2017 at 08:53 AM.

Given how my tastes in food have changed significantly in, well, if not 10 certainly 20 years, I'd not be hugely confident that my current favourites will still be in 2027 or later.

But I hope I'm wrong and they are, makes it easier and less painful on the wallet!

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

I'm absolutely certain many of my favorites WILL change over ten years, and I'm OK with that. In fact, I think it's great. I'm constantly learning and discovering new things.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Rose 31
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    Castile
    APOM
    Curve
    Lumiere Noire
    Aqua Celestia
    Royal Water
    Petit Matin
    Dior Homme
    Reflection Man
    1725 Casanova
    Aqua Universalis
    Prada L'Homme
    Bergamote Soleil
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori HM EDT

User of Toilet Water

I HOPE I have new favorites (whether or not my current favorites are displaced) over the next ten years.

Certain ones, including the ones in a personal top 5, top 10 etc. will hardly ever or likely never change, names like Armani Eau pour Homme, Knize Ten, Blenheim Bouquet and a few more like these will be quite unlikely disappear from this personal favorites ranking

I'm most certain that they will.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    After living few years with a fragrance, you just know. Also, it's not exactly a tragedy if you stop wearing a given fragrance at some point.
    Like a marriage.

Of my Top 10, there are about 6 or 7 that have been there for a long time and I imagine will still be in 10 years. Then there are 3 or 4 which are more recent entrants and may or may not be there 10 years from now. Between my top 10 and top 20, it's more of an even split between long standing favorites and more recent favorites.

So if I were to estimate I'd say about 60% of my favorites will remain over the next 10 years with 40% being more of a revolving door.
    Top 10 Rotation: December, 2017: Spice and Wood, Bleecker Street, Invasion Barbare, Layton, Ormonde Man, Viking, Club 75, Dia Man, Note de Yuzu, Tabac Rouge

I have monolithic tastes!

always double up on your favorite scents/batches if you can never know what the future holds!

I prefer fragrances of an older crowd and I'm not getting younger anyway