Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default NEW: Bruno Fazzolari - Ummagumma!

Ummagumma is a dark, rich, mysterious, intoxicating amber fragrance, loaded with real tonka bean absolute and notes of chocolate, tobacco and woody notes.

Ummagumma was launched in 2017.

The nose behind this fragrance is Bruno Fazzolari.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: NEW: Bruno Fazzolari - Ummagumma!

Weird thing is it's only offered in the Discovery Set, not as a bottle or sample only option.
    Last edited by thebeck; 28th November 2017 at 03:15 PM.

Always be smelling

Hmm. Seems like he is a Floyd fan
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Basenotes Plus

Pink Floyd - Ummagumma Live Album

(Wish I had a $1 for every time we used to get high and listen to this, 'back in the day'.)
    Currently wearing: Patchouly by Etro

Really really REALLY want to sample this one. Five is one of my favorite scents actually... while some of the others aren't for me those that I have tried seem to me so finely crafted.

It sounds like a toothache and in the hands of any other house I would assume it is too sweet (tonka in the base, really?), but in the hands of the right perfumer, could be a magical combination.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Weird thing is it's only offered in the Discovery Set, not as a bottle or sample only option.
    It should be available as individual sample and full bottle format on 12/2. Looking forward to this one myself, have wondered what a Bruno amber-ish thing would smell like for a while. Unsettled has grown on me a little bit, but I'm still not crazy about it. I recognize it's well done for what it is, but it's not really my style. Feu Secret on the other hand I find to be absolutely outstanding, and turned into my most worn scent since I got a bottle (which is more than 1/2 empty already). Orris, spices, and woods will usually win me over.

Ummagumma was the first PF album to not have any Syd Barrett input, correct? Aside from compilations and soundtracks? I like early Floyd and while I haven't listened to it in toto since I was an undergrad and full of Bob Hope, I recall it being a departure from the weirder Piper and Saucerful. Unfortunately I found the name one of the cringiest slang terms for sex I've ever heard, and incredibly British (not a knock, just a thing), so I have a feeling no matter what Bruno's Ummagumma smells like, I'm going to think it smells British...whatever that means.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post

Ummagumma was the first PF album to not have any Syd Barrett input, correct? Aside from compilations and soundtracks? I like early Floyd and while I haven't listened to it in toto since I was an undergrad and full of Bob Hope, I recall it being a departure from the weirder Piper and Saucerful.
    Almost no input. Astronomy Domine was written by Barrett. His influence on Ummagumma is still pervasive though. About 3 years later they'd transitioned to what became the modern and hugely successful version with Dark Side of the Moon.
    Currently wearing: Patchouly by Etro

It should be available as individual sample and full bottle format on 12/2.
    Good to know, I am interested in trying this, but I already have the previous portfolio sampler set. Will definitely check this out when the individual samples are available. It will be interesting to smell what Bruno does with Tonka absolute.

I smelled it today at Fumerie in Portland, Mr. Fazzolari will be there in person on Saturday night. It has too much chocolate for me but otherwise is really nice. Smooth.
    It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.--Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

I'm excited to try this. If this goes really sweet I'll be very disappointed...

guess his next outing will be...DarK Star!

Quote Originally Posted by foxbins View Post
    I smelled it today at Fumerie in Portland, Mr. Fazzolari will be there in person on Saturday night. It has too much chocolate for me but otherwise is really nice. Smooth.
    The chocolate has me worried. Same reason pineapple worried me in Unsettled (although I do like some of the popular pineapple-centric fragrances...can't recall the name though).

How prominent did you find the tobacco, amber, and/or woody components, foxbins? Did you feel that chocolate was the focus?

I don't like most tonka-heavy scents either, although I do have tonka bean absolute and think it smells nice on it's own.

I like chocolate notes, looking forward to sniffing this though I hate the name.

Notes on the website are more complete than listed from the ad in the first post here. Complete list from Bruno's website:

Saffron :: Carnation :: Chocolate :: Tobacco :: Leather :: Labdanum :: Sandalwod :: Cedar :: Frankincense :: Tonka Bean :: Vanilla

30ml bottles are for sale, but still no individual samples. My spidey senses are telling me this is not a safe blind buy so I'll have to wait to sniff it.

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Almost no input. Astronomy Domine was written by Barrett. His influence on Ummagumma is still pervasive though. About 3 years later they'd transitioned to what became the modern and hugely successful version with Dark Side of the Moon.
    Floyd is perhaps my favorite band. But I do not like Barrett's Floyd. It became much better after his departure.
    A few of my friends disagree with me on this
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

30ml bottles are for sale, but still no individual samples. My spidey senses are telling me this is not a safe blind buy so I'll have to wait to sniff it.
    Ehhhh I might have to take that back - Claire's review makes it sound right up my alley.

It's already in my cart...and I'm pretty close to checking out. I already have ambers I truly love (Mitzah, Ambre Sultan) and a few amber-ish type of things that also see a lot of action (Rochas Lui, Absolue Pour Le Soir, Scent Intense) but Ummagumma sounds unique enough to not be redundant. Plus I think Bruno is one of the most exciting and talented "new" perfumers to hit the scene lately, so that's egging me on too.

Have sample ordered from Luckyscent

I blind bought this. Love this perfumer, the notes sound great, and Claire's review is wonderful. Cannot wait to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    I blind bought this. Love this perfumer, the notes sound great, and Claire's review is wonderful. Cannot wait to try it.
    Ditto, bought it Sunday. TwistedLily had extended their 20% off sale so it seemed a good a time as any. Will post impressions when it arrives.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Requested a free sample with a purchase from Luckyscent.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

What happened to ClaireV's site? Am I the only one who can't read this review?
    Currently wearing: 1000 by Jean Patou

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    What happened to ClaireV's site? Am I the only one who can't read this review?
    Looks like the contract with the website's hosting service needs to be renewed

I think Claire's review is spot on. My experience is fairly close to how she describes the scent. It's a fairly straightforward, very comforting, warm creamy amber-tobacco fragrance with a dark chocolate opening on me. The sweetness is average among chocolate-themed fragrance in my opinion, but sweeter than Slumberhouse Ore. My only gripe is that the sandalwood and the tonka has a somewhat oily texture during the first two hours that is not my cup of tea. I was debating either to get Ore or Ummagumma, and ultimately decided to go with Ore as I prefer a less sweet and more woody perfume.
    Currently wearing: Community by The Zoo

Bruno Fazzolari fans (which I am) may be slightly disappointed because nothing in this scent is part of his signature. Ummagumma just smelled on it's own merits without preconceived opinions will delight your senses.

I would like to just rubber stamp my agreement with Claire V. She said everything I wanted to and more.

If you think you're interested in Ummagumma but don't want 30ml, strifeknot is doing a split on this one.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/428...e-splits-added

After smelling Ummagumma today I went and bought 10ml from him.
    Last edited by thebeck; 8th December 2017 at 07:56 PM.

For those who have received this, how is the tobacco? Is it noticeable as a note?

Last edited by thebeck; 17th December 2017 at 02:01 PM.

For those who have received this, how is the tobacco? Is it noticeable as a note?
    I do find it noticeable, but it blends well with the amber in the dry down, not the absolute focus of the fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Community by The Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by StellaDiverFlynn View Post
    I do find it noticeable, but it blends well with the amber in the dry down, not the absolute focus of the fragrance.
    For me, tobacco really isn't that noticeable.

The short version of Ummagumma is it's all about chocolate with all the other notes adding some interest or just keeping that chocolate from going to sweet.
    Thanks guys! My wife got this today and she said she got incense in the drydown... weird.

Bruno Fazzolari fans (which I am) may be slightly disappointed because nothing in this scent is part of his signature.
    I was disappointed when I first smelled Feu Secret, I felt like it didn't have any trace of his signature in it. The more I wore it, it turned into one of my overall favorites and most worn, and of the 60 or so 2017 releases I've tried, I think it's the best. Unsettled seemed to further mark a departure from his typical style (or development of it) so I'm fully prepared for his take on amber to continue in that vein. I'm still not crazy about Unsettled, but I can appreciate it on technical merits.

I wish I could say! Ordered my bottle from TwistedLily last Sunday and haven't heard a peep about shipping - kind of unlike them. I wondered if ordering it was really like pre-ordering it but they just didn't put any language up about it. Perhaps an email is in order.

Ordered a sample yesterday, I look forward to trying it.