Code of Conduct

Default Eyes burn for a week after using facescrub and or moisturizer

When I scrub my face my eyes are irritated and are burning for a whole week.
    I will start crying and stuff like that.
    When I moisturize my face this happens aswell, I don't know why this happens to me.
    I am not applying any of these products near my eyes. Just forhead, cheeks, nose etc.

If I don't scrub and moisturize my face I don't have this problem but my skin will be really dry and flaky.
    Just not a nice face to look at. It will look like i don't give any attention to my face.

Do you guys know what causes this? Anyone else with this problem?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Eyes burn for a week after using facescrub and or moisturizer

What product are you using to scrub your face and moisturize it? Sound like something inherent in the product might be causing the irritation.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I am using the following products...

Face scrub: Nivea Men Face Scrub
    Face wash: Nivea Men Sensitive Face Wash
    Moisturiser: Nivea Men Sensitive Moisturiser

What do you think?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by rikdokter View Post
    I am using the following products...

Face scrub: Nivea Men Face Scrub
    Face wash: Nivea Men Sensitive Face Wash
    Moisturiser: Nivea Men Sensitive Moisturiser

What do you think?
    Well since they're all from the same company, it sounds like something they all share. Perhaps try a different face scrub, wash or moisturizer and see if it causes the same irritation. If not, it's something in the Nivea products. If so, it's an ingredient found in all products of this type and would be harder to isolate.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks for your answer.
    I had a different face scrub before this which irritated me aswell.
    That's why i bought these new products to see if it would be better.
    I think its slightly better but still iritating.

I used to have that. I think it was something to do with AHA's or something??

As hednic said, try a different brand. Perhaps give clinique a try. You can get some good deals at the moment in the run up to Christmas.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Stop posting about it on a message board and go and get allergy tested along with a chemical sensitivity panel.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by rikdokter View Post
    When I scrub my face my eyes are irritated and are burning for a whole week.
    I will start crying and stuff like that.
    When I moisturize my face this happens aswell, I don't know why this happens to me.
    I am not applying any of these products near my eyes. Just forhead, cheeks, nose etc.

If I don't scrub and moisturize my face I don't have this problem but my skin will be really dry and flaky.
    Just not a nice face to look at. It will look like i don't give any attention to my face.

Do you guys know what causes this? Anyone else with this problem?
    What you might need to be careful of is getting moisturiser/face scrub near the eyelid membrane. It spans quite far, i.e. not just immediately above and below the eyes, and is fantastic at channelling 'stuff' towards the eyes themselves. They are also porous so anything in contact with them tends to wash over the eye and is subsequently 'cried' out or gathered at the tear duct. I've moisturisers which cause eye irritation if I get them around the eyelids so am careful of them.

I would agree with others, however, that it might be a particular component in the ingredients. As Palmolive says, get a patch test done and you'll have an idea whether you're sensitive to any of the ingredients. That'll help you out going forwards for sure.

I guess you may want to try Neutrogena stuff instead (only one item) and see if it affects you too.

Or read the ingredients list on the boxes of whatever you try next, and see if the ingredients seem substantially different in chemical names to those on the Nivea boxes.

Alternatively, if you have been using some aftershave balms without a problem, check their ingredients list and use it as a baseline when trying to purchase other products.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 8th December 2017 at 03:28 AM.

Also had problems with my skin and the burning sensation, albeit, for for a whole week. I've found that 'Aloe Calming Foaming Wash' from The Body Shop and Bulldog sensitive moisturiser work well for me.

As suggested though, get an allergy test just to make sure.

Stop using drug store or designer drug store type hygiene products. Switch to a natural plant based product without fragrance. Remember products that state unscented will have additional chemicals to mask the fragrance in the product. Also when a product mentions fragrance it is anyone's guess how many chemicals are contained relating to that one ingredient listing of fragrance. I know it may sound like heresy on a fragrance board but aside from a spray or two of fragrance a day I am essentially fragrance free in all the other health, and home care products I use. I have had good success with Jason Naturals, Earth Science, Avalon Organics. I have easily dried and sensitive skin and since I spend so much time year round outdoors I had to find product that didn't irritate my skin. Jason Naturals was my go to for face and hair and then they changed their formulas (were purchased by Hains Celestial Group) so I went to my next favorite which was Earth Science. I prefer to keep things simple and so seldom use a scrub and find that Earth Science A, D, E Creamy Fruit Oil Cleanser for dry/sensitive skin keeps my skin clean, clear, and moisturized all on its own. Their formula was a ph 5.5 for the longest time and recent bottles I purchased are a ph 4.5 so milder yet. Not affiliated, not a shill just purchased way too many products over the years only to toss them in the trash bin wasting time and money. Others have mentioned seeing a doctor which you may decide on. Many products state to continue use if irritation results and that is an option. Check out Earth Science for the cleanser I mentioned and they have moisturizers too. If they discontinued this product I don't know what I would use. Its been my go to for at least the last 12 years and I first used it over 20 years ago but like I mentioned Jason Naturals had a product out that was even better for dry/sensitive skin but after they were acquired they discontinued the product.
    Last edited by Titan; 9th December 2017 at 04:20 PM. Reason: typo
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain