Code of Conduct
    Banned

Default i think many ebay sellers use fake accounts or friends to bump up auctio bidding

A fragrance sits with no bids and then i bid and right after someone outbids me.I even tested and they keep bidding me up to what i can get at retail or online so i retract all my bids and then they do as well.

Default Re: i think many ebay sellers use fake accounts or friends to bump up auctio bidding

Was this right at the end of the auction? If so that happens all the time. You could always contact Ebay and see if they will investigate this, it is strange that the other bidder would retract all his bids. And of course try to decide before you bid how much you are willing to spend on the item in the auction. Don't get lured into any bidding wars.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver Geranium by Creed

Banned

Default Re: i think many ebay sellers use fake accounts or friends to bump up auctio bidding

It has happened to me with clothing as well so i know it happens. I would rather buy the fragrance from an ebay place for $2 more i know is reputable and has a return polics like perfume 1 and fragrancenet or scented monkey then a private seller who is asking just as much or more for theirs. Some sellers just dont realize what used means. But then again there is always a buyer who will buy that inflated one.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by RichMan'sOldSpice View Post
    Don't get lured into any bidding wars.
    Sound advice.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

What you are describing here is shill bidding. It is a huge problem on a eBay and eBay does little to address it. You can report it, but chances of eBay taking action on this are nil

Banned

Shill bidding happens when anyone—including family, friends, roommates, employees, or online connections—bids on an item with the intent to artificially increase its price or desirability.

sounds like it could be this.
    Just seems odd that as soon as i bid someone else bids me up and thats with 4-5 days left on the auction. When i sell on ebay i always do buy it now and find an attractive fair price that is in line with other online sellers and maybe even somewhat less if used or no box with 95-99% juice left... if new is $30 on ebay i sell at 32-35.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarissochka View Post
    What you are describing here is shill bidding. It is a huge problem on a eBay and eBay does little to address it. You can report it, but chances of eBay taking action on this are nil
    +1 Ebay has been plagued with shill bidding forever, and I agree they do little if anything to correct it. I am sorry to say it, but there a lot of dishonest people in this world, and many of them are on eBay. Ebay only exacerbated the problem whence they started disguising bidder identities. Too, "private auctions" are a hot bed of shill bidding. There is no doubt in my mind that I have been the victim of shill bidding on eBay many times over the years.

I recall bidding on one item from a well known and very respected seller. Someone else outbid me on this item within minutes of my placing a bid. Finally, the price rose so high that I simply stopped bidding. Shortly before the auction ended, this bidder withdrew all of his bids, and I received a notice from eBay that I was once again the high bidder--at a very high price. I immediately notified the seller of what happened and asked him to cancel my bids which he did so. In fact, he ended the auction, blocked that bidder, and re-listed the item. I did not suspect this seller of any wrong doing. I think whoever was this bidder, s/he either was a bidder who just want to interfere with auctions and had no plans to pay if s/he won (several sellers have told me this has happened to their auctions, and the bidders are usually supposedly in China), or the bidder had a similar item to sell and wanted to "establish" that previously this sort of item sold for X amount of money.

Ebay is now also doing something else I feel is unethical. They are not revealing the price for which an item sold after a "best offer" is accepted. The pages show the items sold at the asking price whence this is not always true---I know because I have seen it on many "best offers" that I have won.

I believe there is a special place in hell waiting for eBay.
    Last edited by Oriane; 6th December 2017 at 08:38 PM.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts

Basenotes Plus

I remember bidding on a jacket and there was an option where you provided a "maximum bid," so if someone outbid your current claim it would automatically outbid you to a certain point. The colognes I like tend to be listed at prices not far away from online discount retailers so I tend to stay away from ebay because it's not worth the risk over a few bucks. I guess when you're trying to get something discontinued it would be a good option, but you're going to have to deal with the BS uncertainties of a largely unregulated service.

Dependent

You used to be able to see each user who was bidding on a auction, then they started masking the names. You could run a advanced search to see how many times a user bid on someones auction to spot them.

Banned

i have had ok luck with some fragrance sellers on ebay-buy it now stuff like fragrancenet..Its a few bucks cheaper at their online site but you have to pay shipping under $59 so if i have a few i want i just will go to their site..but if only 1 or 2 things under $50 i just buy them now with free shipping.

Ebay scares me.
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

Banned

not me. As a seller it scares me more but as a buyer no way.Why??
    Because ebay favors the buyer in most transactions- as a buyer you are covered in many ways if your item isnt as described or is a fake or isnt accurate. I mean i have been on both sides and its less scarey from a buyers side then the sellers. Thats why i post tons of pics from all angles and give super detailed descrips and measurements if needed. The more accurate you are the better you are protected. For instance in measurements i show them in pics( say pit to pit on a shirt laying flat) and always list APPROX MEASUREMENTS-May very if stretching out. This way a buyer cant use his measurement pic to say i measured wrong. Its always a slippery slope but i would say in 99.5 transactions in 10 yrs on ebay i have had 2 issues and even then they were resolved fairly. The partial refund option can be your friend as a seller as well in returns.

I'm also a seller and what you are saying is completely accurate. Most recently I sold a used bottle of perfume, listed as used, stated as much in the description, stated that it was ~75% full in the description, and pictured it from multiple angles as 75% full. Buyer gets it and immediately opens an "item not as described" return. Reasons: bottle is clearly used, only 75% full, terrible. Uh, that's exactly how I described it! Because it's "item not as described" and not a simple return, I have to pay return shipping and I'm not reimbursed for the original shipping. Now, I probably could have argued with them and gotten ebay involved, but that would have been risking my 100% feedback, which corresponds to years of work. Someone can come along and ruin that work because they didn't bother to read the description or even look at the pictures.

One time, sold something to someone in Mexico. Shipped it to the address registered with both ebay and paypal, which is supposed to protect me. Like 4 months later buyer opens a case with paypal because she never received the item. Turns out that the address is incorrect. The buyer forgot to put her street number on the address when she registered with ebay and paypal. Item gets to within a few blocks of her address, but never past that, just sits at the post office, until it disappears. I show paypal this information, but it's not good enough for them. Per their policy, I have to show them that the item was delivered. But how was it supposed to be delivered when the registered address was incorrect? They don't care. Paypal takes my money and returns it to the buyer. I'm out a $300 item and whatever it cost to ship it to Mexico. Buyer sends an email accusing me of being unprofessional.

I have numerous stories like this. As a buyer, the only thing you risk is your time. The only way you'll ever lose money is in cases of buyer's remorse or you just don't like the thing you bought, even then you can use INAD because one of the options is "doesn't seem authentic" not "isn't authentic" but "doesn't seem authentic" for whatever subjective reason. I had someone claim INAD on a lot of 100 various carded perfume samples almost immediately after receiving them. I mean, is their a counterfeit sample ring out there? Did I waste my time collecting 100 empty carded samples then filling them with various inauthentic perfumes in order to scam this one person out of a small amount of money? No, the person just wanted a partial refund, which they knew they could get because it was an international order and it would have been more expensive to pay to have the items shipped back to me than to refund them some money.

Unless you're selling really inexpensive items that fly off the shelves, 700 feedback at 100% represents a hell of a lot of work. Only 1/3 of buyers even leave feedback. I can't imagine anyone with feedback like that risking it in order to scam someone. I go out of my way to be extremely accommodating, even when the buyer is at fault. I grovel at the buyer's feet because they hold absolute power over me with their ability to leave negative feedback for any reason whatsoever. I've actually had a buyer complain because there was a fingerprint on an item. I've had a buyer flip out because I opened a sealed box of vintage perfume to show them the amount in the bottle and it turned out to be about 1/2 full, before they even purchased the item!
    Last edited by beleriand; 10th December 2017 at 07:45 PM.

They are not revealing the price for which an item sold after a "best offer" is accepted.
    You can get a rough idea if you organize sold listings buy highest price. The item's place in the results will depend on the actual invisible selling price and not the displayed asking price, which means the selling price will be somewhere between the preceding item's selling price and the succeeding item's selling price.

Quote Originally Posted by conkhi View Post
    Some sellers just dont realize what used means.
    Here's the problem with this. Ebay defines "new" as being exactly like you'd find an item if it was in a retail store, so in the case of fragrance, sealed in cellophane, but Ebay does not and will not enforce this definition. Pretty much every serious perfume seller lists a full bottle of perfume as "new" even if the box has been opened, even if the box is damaged. Because of the way the search works, they are going to have an edge listing their items as new over items listed as used, even if they are in the same condition. So, what are you supposed to do if you want to compete with them? I asked myself this question, and my answer was to start reporting items that didn't abide by ebay's listing policy. I spent hours reporting hundreds of items, not out of vindictiveness, but because I didn't want to have to suffer for not breaking the rules and being dishonest. The result - absolutely nothing happened. No listings were removed and the sellers continued to list their items as "new." And who knows, maybe these sellers started doing this in order to compete with non-serious sellers who were listing theirs as new because they didn't bother to familiarize themselves with ebay's definitions.

Another example is that everyone claims their bottles of Jean Patou Joy are in Baccarat bottles, even though I'm 99% sure Baccarat never made the standard Joy bottle. The confusion probably stems from the fact that Baccarat has made a few special edition Joy bottles and that the Jean Patou logo looks a lot like the Baccarat logo. Seriously, search for Patou Baccarat on ebay and you will see that nearly everyone claims their Joy is in a Baccarat bottle. Now, even if you have no idea what Baccarat is and you're shopping for someone else, if you keep seeing "Baccarat bottle" on every listing, you're gonna think that's important for some reason and make sure you get one in a Baccarat bottle. Obviously, not everyone is going to care about this, but still, it makes some difference. I called ebay once and reported this phenomenon. Again, they did nothing about it.

Banned

if you are in usa contact me 1st before ebay or let me know your ebay name so i can see what you are all selling

Quote Originally Posted by Oriane View Post

Ebay is now also doing something else I feel is unethical. They are not revealing the price for which an item sold after a "best offer" is accepted. The pages show the items sold at the asking price whence this is not always true---I know because I have seen it on many "best offers" that I have won.
    I think they started doing that for people with multiple items, it was revealing what they were willing to take for an item so people just made that same offer, never higher.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Suspended View Post
    I think they started doing that for people with multiple items, it was revealing what they were willing to take for an item so people just made that same offer, never higher.
    i too thought that was odd they they dont reveal the offer....i mean why not?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by conkhi View Post
    i too thought that was odd they they dont reveal the offer....i mean why not?
    Ebay (and the seller) do not want buyers to know how low a buyer will go (if they are selling multiples of the same item).

Dependent

Also, those of you who use Ebay, why on earth would you bid on an item when there are several days (or even hours) left to go on that auction? There is absolutely NO point in bidding earlier than 6 seconds before an auction ends. Don't kid yourselves, you will never "frighten off" other bidders with your early bids, unless your bid is an astronomical one. Simply wait until the very last seconds of the auction and then put in the most you are willing to pay. You will win auctions this way and won't get involved in bidding wars. This is the only way to retain your sanity on Ebay and to win auctions.

It could be that, or someone could just be bidding with a "MAX RESERVE" set so they continue to automatically outbid you until it reaches a certain level.

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    Also, those of you who use Ebay, why on earth would you bid on an item when there are several days (or even hours) left to go on that auction? There is absolutely NO point in bidding earlier than 6 seconds before an auction ends. Don't kid yourselves, you will never "frighten off" other bidders with your early bids, unless your bid is an astronomical one. Simply wait until the very last seconds of the auction and then put in the most you are willing to pay. You will win auctions this way and won't get involved in bidding wars. This is the only way to retain your sanity on Ebay and to win auctions.
    This.

Additionally, if I become suspicious that a seller is participating in shill bidding, I never do business with them again. On a positive note, if I deal with a good seller, I add them to my "follow" list. If they're good sellers, they deserve my repeat business and should get priority over an unknown.

Selling is a very sticky subject. I always list the fragrances that I'm selling as no returns and I don't ship outside of the CONUS. I've been a member of Ebay since 1999 and have 100% feedback and I can sympathize with a previous poster who doesn't want to risk years of work but, in the end, sometimes, there's not much you can do to avoid that anyway.

As an example, a few days ago, I was checking out Aventus and one of the few sellers that I trust completely is "finescentsllc", which some of you may know as a member of the BN community. He has over 3400 feedbacks with a 99.9% positive rating. Two of those negatives have been within the last three months and in one case, he responded to the negative feedback as "Buyer literally gave me 2 hours to respond today, just the worst buyer ever!

stinkin' to high heaven

............................. ◘ surrounded by squares ◘
    Blog Entries

What irks the crap out of me is, when a seller ends an auction days before the listed end date. They cancel my bid (and the bids of others) with no explanation, then relist the item as Buy it Now for a higher price. Or, they relist immediately the item in a new auction, after canceling bids (still with no explanation).
    Currently wearing: Poison by Christian Dior

I quit Ebay altogether several years ago after Paypal helped a couple of buyers scam me. But when I was heavily into buying myself... my biggest peeve was 3rd party auction snipers. I don't know if they're still around, but it's pretty much what happens at the opposite end of the spectrum.

In this case no one bids on an item until about 59 seconds until close. The thing is that it's automated. The snipers can still lose if their max bid isn't high enough. But if you're bidding on several auctions you can only manually do so much in the span of a minute (mind you this is when DSL internet was still a thing) while the snipers can be everywhere at once.

So yeah Ebay has been dead to me, but I have gotten family to do a quick buy it now for me on a couple of occasions (after all other options are thoroughly exhausted).

I use eBay a lot both ways and the best advice above was to stay away from bidding wars and have an established maximum amount as a buyer.
    Cheaters will always find a way to cheat and that includes sellers cited above and buyers with false claims of damaged or broken bottles.
    Best strategy for a seller is not to be lazy when listing an item. Include a very detailed description and many detailed photos. Be prepared to block and/or report questionable buyers with unusual and harassing questions too.
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido