Code of Conduct

Thread: Christmas Help

Default Christmas Help

Howdy folks,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I need your expert help in surprising wifey with a new fragrance or two for Christmas this year. She's 68 and worn the same for quite a while. She wears Obsession, Cinnabar, Joop, Knowing and Daisy. Not asking for a critique of these as much as pleasant step forward. What new fragrance would most likely be received well based upon what she wears?

And please let me thank you all ahead of time. I've followed too many Male threads and have learned so much. Without reservation, you folks are the "pros from Dover".

Thanks,

and so it goes,

peace,

rono

Default Re: Christmas Help

Obsession and Cinnabar are both spicy orientals, so she may enjoy Coco Chanel EDP. NOT Coco Mademoiselle just COCO.

Good luck, and Merry Christmas !!
    I smell marshmallows!

Yes, your lady likes orientals. So do I. I'm 62 so we had exposure to similar perfumes during out youth. I like Chanel Bois des Iles parfum, Tauer Le Maroc pour Elle and Une Rose Chypree, Malle Musc Ravageur, and Tom Ford Shanghai Lily. All have an element of spiciness like Obsession and are heavier fragrances like we grew up with.
    It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.--Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

Basenotes Plus

Hi there! We love these questions over here at FFD.

The ladies above made great suggestions in the Cinnabar/Obsession mold of things. Since you didn't specify designer or niche, I'll throw in a couple of other ideas just for funsies: Parfumerie Generale Cadjmere is another delicious, spicy oriental that smells both edible and not, and it's really great this time of year. Another one I really like is Hermes L'Ambre des Merveilles, which is caramelly but still elegant (be sure it's the L'Ambre--there are several Merveilles variations and the other ones are great but may not be to the lady's taste). If you wanted to try a little curveball in the same family, I think Atelier Cologne's Blanche Immortelle has some of the sexy-snickerdoodle vibe of Obsession.

Since she wears Knowing, she also likes crisp rose chypres. There's a really great one out there that goes for a song--Agent Provocateur, the original one in the pink egg-shaped bottle. It is dry but sassy and rosy and it is strong as heck, and it SINGS. It has a touch of saffron which updates it a little from the beautiful vintage style of Knowing.

Daisy is a freshie; they're lovely things to have around, especially for professional situations or other occasions where a light touch is required. I fall back on Hermes (again) for this type of thing, with the original Eau des Merveilles--it's not particularly floral the way that Daisy is, but it is chic as all get-out and it works year-round. If you want to go the stocking stuffer route, or just gild the lily, then you could add some samples of some of the other stuff we've suggested to the main gift. We ladies do like to try new things . . . .

Good luck and keep us posted!
    The road to excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
    --William Blake
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

Hello Rono-

Do you think your wife might enjoy the experience of a sampler set? There are so many good ones, but I think the Tauer Explorer set of 3 15 ml atomizers, packaged in a stylish metal box is a particularly nice one:

http://tauerperfumes.com/explorer-se..._store=default

You can have fun picking the three scents!

Basenotes Plus

I concur with the Hermes Eau de Merveilles,, Chanel Bois de Iles, and Malle Musc Ravageur.

If the cost of the Chanel and FM is a bit too steep for a perfume you're not sure she'd truly like, the Hermes is a safe bet.

There is still time to shop in stores, but you are leaving it rather late for on-line orders given shipping times. Be that as it may, as a devotee of Orientals, I suggest the following.

Estee Lauder Spellbound is a great Oriental, and it is easily found on eBay and Fragrancenet. It may also be available through Macy's, Dillards, etc.

Estee Lauder Youth Dew is a classic Oriental that may never be discontinued at least not in my lifetime. YD is available in stores and on-line at e-tailers such as Fragrancenet.

Avon Rare Rubies is an outstanding Oriental from a house that is often under appreciated. It is discontinued, but you can still find it on eBay for a reasonably fair price considering how much some discontinued fragrances would cost. I wore RR yesterday in fact, and six sprays (I tend to spray a lot : ) gave me excellent projection and sillage for at least five hours. Longevity on my skin was an unbelievably good twelve hours, too.

Dior Dolce Vita is a new love for me. It is an Oriental woody that borders on gourmand territory but never quite gets there.

Lutens Feminite du Bois is also a lovely Oriental and easily obtainable. Some reviewers think FdB and Dolce Vita smell the same, but I disagree. I find them to be quite different from one another.

If you are on a budget, consider Revlon Ciara and Houbigant Chantilly. Both are amazing fragrances that are very affordable. In fact, given their price points, you probably could afford to buy both for your wife.

I have not sniffed the current YSL Opium, but the original is definitely a classic Oriental. You can find vintage bottles as well as the current formulation on eBay.

Really, you have a wide range of Orientals from which to choose. My advice it to decide quickly and place your order. The clock is ticking, and it will soon be Christmas.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts
    Currently wearing: Fracas by Robert Piguet

Wow! Many thanks to everyone. You've given me some great ideas. FYI, I'm going to go in two directions - buying a nice bottle of Coco and a promise for another that she selects from mini's and sample sizes of most everything else. That way she can experiment and see which of the others she likes and I can go from there.

BTW, I did this with the House of Creed before I bought GIT. Years ago, when we redid the front of our house, I had 4 different colors on my shutters at one time and was polling the neighbors.

thanks again,

rono

Also adding Dior Dune, Chanel Coco Noir and No. 19 EDP, Shalimar, L'Erbolario Osmanthus to a possible (re-) testing list before purchasing

Coco is an excellent choice!
    Currently wearing: No. 19 Poudré by Chanel