Code of Conduct

Default Slımberhouse Ore- Pencil shavings problem

I love gourmands, especially when they are so woody they are only tip-toeing into the genre. Ore is something I always wanted to get my nose on, right from the first day. And last week, my decant arrived.

It is so balmy, so rich in that it is its own world. The chocolate is rich and fulfilling all my gourmand pleasures... BUT:

After 20 minutes or so, the cacao dissapears on me leaving its place to pencil shavings.. exactly pencil shavings.

Some of the woodier fragrances tend to go that way, and when I apply more the problem seems to be solved. But I only have a 1 ml decant of Ore so I can not try.

Anyone else had the same scent? And if so, did you get along with it and how did you solve this if you did not like it? Is there anything similar without this vibe?

Thanks!

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gnderildi

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Slımberhouse Ore- Pencil shavings problem

Its funny you posted this, because I recently tried Ore and noticed this exact same thing. It turned me off of the fragrance.

Unfortunately, even perfumers like Josh Lobb have been bitten by the ISO E Super bug, which I suspect is the culprit (though it might be a combination of this and another cheap aroma chemical). I recently read an older interview where he extolled this nasty molecule.

I wonder if perfumers realize that a substantial segment of the population perceive this chemical in a negative light. So, perfumers, if youre reading this, stop. Just stop. Find some other ingredient, PLEASE.
    Currently wearing: Pulp by Byredo

As mentioned above - welcome to the world of Iso E Super.

Thanks for the replies! I have the oil form of ISO-E Super, though, and it smells really faintly of some soft woods (something like a vouge sandalwood). Anyway, its odor profile is really soft. The pencil shavings ARE NOT. I actually kind of enjoy ISO-E Super if its used correctly. I dont really think thats the problem.

Basenotes Plus

Iso E = pencil shavings? That's a new one on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Iso E = pencil shavings? That's a new one on me.
    It's true. Nearest thing I can say that ISO E Super smells (if anything) of is pencil shavings. I get this vibe from Escentric 01 (which is this molecule plus a small amount of other things to enhance the smell). If a scent has a note described as cedar, you can bet ISO E Super is in there.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

This is the most-recent bottle to arrive for me, and thankfully I don't get pencil shavings at all. Just an absurdly rich cocoa note with woods and musk behind it. Like the old tin can of Hershey's cocoa powder. Not very sweet, but awfully appealing.

BTW - I was given a 15ml bottle of something called Brosse, which I never even heard of before. It is unbelievably well done. Boozy, gourmand leather from my one tiny wearing. And it is nuclear in strength. I need more time with it, but I really enjoy it right now.
    Last edited by krooze; 7th December 2017 at 05:51 PM.

I never had this issue with Ore.

You might want to try Jovoy Psychedelique. It's treated very similarly but instead of getting left with "pencil shavings," you be left behind with a beautiful, dusty, earthy patchouli. But if you don't like patchouli then you should definitely avoid this.

Also, on the topic of woody gourmands, have you tried Nasomatto Pardon or Mancera Aoud Vanille. Both are tipped to the woody side but display delicious gourmand facets as well. Pardon via cocoa, and Aoud Vanille via vanilla and something that kind of smells liked baked cake.

I haven't tried it yet but I am really looking forward to Bruno Fazzolari's Ummagumma--apparently people say it is reminiscent of Ore, but slightly sweeter (more of an ambery base).

Fazzolari is such a talented perfumer, I can't imagine it being bad; and maybe there isn't this Iso E Super problem?

I blind bought a bottle so I hope it's good.

I just can not get enough of the opening... It lasts crazy long, but I reapply it for the opening! My decants almost done Should I go for the full bottle despite the pencil shavings? Will it be less of a problem with a larger spray?

Hey bilo, another one that just came to mind that's really good and definitely a woody-gourmand (and more woody than gourmand) is Nishane Fan Your Flames. Tonka, coconut, and rum over tobacco and cedar wood. It's worth a sample, in my opinion.