Code of Conduct
o

Default Fendi Theorema - rara avis no longer?

To my observation, Fendi Theorema was an obsession in much the same way of Biagiotti's Venezia for a while. Discontinued, coveted, very few bottles circulating.

Now there seem to be bottles of FT available fairly readily among the usual (reputable) discounters. Are these a re-issue, an uncovered cache from some years back, or what?

They don't seem very costly or difficult to obtain. I'm just afraid to order one and find that it's a situation similar to, say, certain Roberto Capucci scents where the license was sold. Those came out in packaging almost identical to the real thing, but with telling detractors in the details (printing on the boxes totally flat, no embossing, cheap cap and cheaper spraying mechanisms).

So - time to satisfy my curiosity on this one or not?

Thanks!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fendi Theorema - rara avis no longer?

The ones on Beauty Encounter are likely a legit cache that somebody sat on. That price is what my 3.4 oz went for years ago while discontinued.

It's worthy. The top notes will be a tad flat, but the opening accord and heart are so brilliant, it doesn't matter. It's a subtle and almost androgynous fragrance. Easy for the guys.

Nick Tesla here loved this and Mitsouko, and there is a connecting genius between the two fragrances. I say go for it, buy a BE bottle, keep the box, and sell at 99% with no loss if you don't like it.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Thanks, Redneck P.
    Your thoughts on the provenance were much like what I was thinking. For years I could only stand the eau d'ete version of Theorema, but I might be ready to graduate now. Especially now that it's winter!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    Thanks, Redneck P.
    Your thoughts on the provenance were much like what I was thinking. For years I could only stand the eau d'ete version of Theorema, but I might be ready to graduate now. Especially now that it's winter!
    You're welcome!

I thought I had reviewed this, but I have not. I merely mentioned it in another review!

My wife thinks it smells feminine, but she thinks Derby smells feminine! I'd say it's very "Hermès unisex" and partly "Ellena" in style. No worries wearing this out and about.

Where can this masterpiece be found for cheap? I gotta jump on it.

The rotten fruit top is addictive...

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

cacio
    Not cheap but guaranteed legitimate:

https://www.beautyencounter.com/theo...r-women-156346

Thanks! Not cheap, but not unreasonable, and worth it.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

cacio
    I can totally deal with the fruit notes in Theorema. The ones that throw me are the ones in Mauboussin. Those are rough - just shy of stomach-turning for me. Theorema is just perfection for me - especially in winter.

Well, thanks guys, you made me just have to go look at the BE site. LOL
    Totally agree. Not cheap, (espec as it's a 50 ml bottle) but reasonable for a serious fume fiend. I think it is DIVINE. I haven't bought any fumes in a few years actually, but I did not think BE was price gouging for such a rara avis.
    Currently wearing: Absolu by Rochas

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the information, because I have wanted more Theorema for some time (but not enough to pay a crazy price).

I do have a cautionary tale, which I will share since others may be able to add more information. A few years ago, a similar resurgence of another Fendi rara avis occurred...Fendi by Fendi. I (and others) purchased these and concluded that they are not from a vintage cache and the perfume inside is definitely not the same as the original Fendi.

I hope these Theorema bottles prove to be good, but I am beginning to wonder what is going on with Fendi...
    Last edited by grayspoole; 12th December 2017 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I can totally deal with the fruit notes in Theorema. The ones that throw me are the ones in Mauboussin. Those are rough - just shy of stomach-turning for me. Theorema is just perfection for me - especially in winter.
    You are probably referring to the classic Mauboussin - with the prism-infused pyramid bottle, yes? Right, the plummy note is pretty strong. But have you ever tried the Histoire d'Eau by same company? Like Dundee marmalade spilled on a suede jacket. Love that bitter orange simmered with spice and honey. It's as if Eau d'Hermes were playing the James Fox character (Chas) in "Performance" - you know, that shot where he's wearing a wig and a silk kimono bathrobe.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 12th December 2017 at 04:06 PM.

Basenotes Plus

You are probably referring to the classic Mauboussin - with the prism-infused pyramid bottle, yes? Right, the plummy note is pretty strong. But have you ever tried the Histoire d'Eau by same company? Like Dundee marmalade spilled on a suede jacket. Love that bitter orange simmered with spice and honey. It's as if Eau d'Hermes were playing the James Fox character (Chas) in "Performance" - you know, that shot where he's wearing a wig and a silk kimono bathrobe.
    +1,000

Mauboussin's Histoire d'Eau is one of the reasons that I can live with my tiny mini of vintage of Theorema...it's wonderful stuff.

Especially if from a trusted retailer, would second the opinions in favor of and thus recommend going for it if and when the possibility arises and is also remains within a reasonable fragrance budget (even though the actual budget limits may vary)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Especially if from a trusted retailer, would second the opinions in favor of and thus recommend going for it if and when the possibility arises and is also remains within a reasonable fragrance budget (even though the actual budget limits may vary)
    Thanks, Ken. Budget limits tend to get a little elastic added!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Yes, exactly! The little pyramid where Queen Fruitopia was buried 4000 years ago and just ripened!

And no, have not sniffed this other, but it sounds awesome, and I must investigate!

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    +1,000

Mauboussin's Histoire d'Eau is one of the reasons that I can live with my tiny mini of vintage of Theorema...it's wonderful stuff.
    Excellent! I saw this years ago and punted on it - clearly a mistake.