Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances You Gave a Thumbs Down!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDalloway View Post
    I have a mini of Givenchy III edt which I've tried to love and failed - once I did get a bit of peach but mostly it smells musty to me. I recently got a Meilleurs Parfums set where the Givenchy III mini doesn't specify concentration, so I must try that to see if it's parfum and any different. My minis of Pucci Vivara and Antilope also have that mustiness.

Modern Mitsouko horrified me when I was starting out and I suspect I still wouldn't like it. I should maybe try a vintage but I spend too much already, so why chase trouble...

I wonder what Redneck's satanic perfume could be? Bandit seems to be quite scary but meaty rather than fecal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    So I will jump on the Habanita hate, first of all. But I disagree about Youth Dew; the musky mossy jasmine is pleasant enough.

As to your fecal one, Redneck, is it perhaps vintage Shocking? Sweaty and civetty and if over-applied, I predict it could do that. Mostly to me it smells of unwashed female parts, but I suppose it's all in the application with civet. Keep in mind that the modern is much more floral and even a bit fruity and absent of any real civet.
    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I love vintage Shocking. Yes, really musky, but not fecal in any way.
    Indeed, I am wondering whether what redneck was smelling wasn't the perfume but the person herself.

cacio
    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Agreed, Shocking is a good candidate, although I love it. I have two diferent vintages (pre-1960), and they both live up to their name.

Also a possibility. There's a halitosis quality to Shocking, and if she already had a case of her own, the combination could be lethal.
    Thank you all for your theories on this! Really old vintage Shocking may indeed be what it was. The "perfume error" I was detecting was along the lines of "Where is the 'good note' balance to this? I'm not getting good notes! Just bad notes!" What may have been happening was that the fragrance was out of balance, or had slightly turned, and wasn't "in balance" at the distance I was standing. And then if there was something else adding to it, perhaps that was all it needed. But I was surprised, as she never "stank" in all the years I worked with her, and thus a stinky fragrance was....

....well.....

SHOCKING!!!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Night by Azzaro

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    What is the most horrifying old-school animalic fragrance for women among the old classics? Something that smells positively fecal. Is there anything like that?

A woman who otherwise wore amazing classics, wore it to work one time, and I was absolutely just knocked back from her. It was involuntary. I was breathing through my mouth, tucking my chin, backing away.

It was like Satan's bespoke Guerlain. It made vintage Tabu (the kind with tropical powdery dirty musk) smell like Boss Pure.
    First time I smelled Jicky EDT, I had essentially this reaction. Was there lots of lavender and vanilla involved?

I now love the EDP and don’t find it tough to wear whatsoever...but that first time with the EDT...woof. Is the EDT known to be more fecal?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Deep Forest by Bogner

Salvador Dali Pour Homme.

Youth Dew for me, too, I am afraid. I dislike Obsession and anything by Sophia Grosjman. And...... Kouros. Sorry, but there it is.
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Seems like Youth Dew has become anything but nowadays, and under the bus by several folks here. I've never experienced it. My mom was more Chanel/Dana/Houbigant/Arden when she wasn't ordering/selling Avon or Merle Normann
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    when she wasn't ordering/selling Avon or Merle Normann
    Ah, so your Avon propensity is genetic, then.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Ah, so your Avon propensity is genetic, then.
    Yes. They wring out my sweat and harvest it for the active ingredient in Skin So Soft.
    So if you see any guys in white Avon lab coats asking for me, lemme know so I can get out of town.
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    They wring out my sweat and harvest it for the active ingredient in Skin So Soft.
    I think that should be in the bio section of your Basenotes profile.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    And...... Kouros. Sorry, but there it is.
    Blasphemy ....!
    Summer Rotation: Acqua di Gio Profumo, Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche, Sel Marin, Castile, Mugler Cologne, Allure Homme Sport Cologne

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Memoir Man by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

Agreed, Shocking is a good candidate, although I love it. I have two diferent vintages (pre-1960), and they both live up to their name.

Also a possibility. There's a halitosis quality to Shocking, and if she already had a case of her own, the combination could be lethal.
    I am trying an overdosing for me, Four sprays, of Shocking. I find it very pleasurable. Only thing missing is the Musk of a woman. She will return from workin a few hours to complete the the picture.
    There is a healthy dose of Oakmoss and an absence of Ambroxin.
    Glorious stuff!!
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Always be smelling

Shocking is not really as shocking as you guys are making it out to be. It is a pleasant fragrance.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Seaward by Herbalife

Lancôme Sikkim, I thought it was sharp and unpleasant.
    Currently wearing: Gardénia Parfum by Chanel

I'm not really that good at describing why I dislike a fragrance but Here are three that are quite well liked on the Vintage boards that I just couldn't wear. Heresy I know but I just had to give these three a thumbs down.

By Man
    Furyo and
    Moschino pour Homme
    " I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Please check out my sales thread. I'm downsizing my wardrobe http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...or-Sale-Thread
    Currently wearing: Davidoff by Davidoff

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by DOCPSYCHO View Post
    I'm not really that good at describing why I dislike a fragrance but Here are three that are quite well liked on the Vintage boards that I just couldn't wear. Heresy I know but I just had to give these three a thumbs down.

By Man
    Furyo and
    Moschino pour Homme
    I haven't left a review for Furyo. I think I would give a neutral, but it's borderline thumbs down for me as well. There are moments when it's a thumbs down, and other moments I find its good side.

I'm surprised by your thumbs down for Moschino pour Homme. I enjoy it quite a bit.

I don't think I've smelled By Man.

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I haven't left a review for Furyo. I think I would give a neutral, but it's borderline thumbs down for me as well. There are moments when it's a thumbs down, and other moments I find its good side.

I'm surprised by your thumbs down for Moschino pour Homme. I enjoy it quite a bit.

I don't think I've smelled By Man.
    I find by man similar to Carven Homme. Redundant really as Carven Homme can be had for cheap.
    Furyo is challenging.

Always be smelling

By Man
    Furyo and
    Moschino pour Homme
    And yes it is heresy. Moschino PH is a masterpiece. I think you need a few more wearing of it. You will come around

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    And yes it is heresy. Moschino PH is a masterpiece. I think you need a few more wearing of it. You will come around
    Couldn't agree more

I totally understand what you guys mean by giving a fragrance a fair number of wearings before passing judgment. I really do. In regards to Moschino pour Homme it was mentioned to me before to give it more of a chance. I did. I really did and I just don't care for it. Hopefully all of you who love it can find it in your hearts to tolerate me anyway dispite this flaw in my character. I promise to revisit it from time to time just to see if I have come to see the light that Moschino pour Homme can bring.

Rick
    Last edited by DOCPSYCHO; 1st January 2018 at 08:59 AM.

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Please check out my sales thread. I'm downsizing my wardrobe http://www.basenotes.net/threads/446...or-Sale-Thread

I totally understand what you guys mean by giving a fragrance a fair number of wearings before passing judgment. I really do. In regards to Moschino pour Homme it was mentioned to me before to give it more of a chance. I did. I really did and I just don't care for it. Hopefully all of you who love it can find it in your hearts to tolerate me anyway dispite this flaw in my character. I promise to revisit it from time to time just to see if I have come to see the light that Moschino pour Homme can bring.

Rick
    No worries Doc lol, I can't do Kouros myself, granted I only wore it a handful of times..

Hopefully all of you who love it can find it in your hearts to tolerate me
    I appreciate a rugged individualist, Rick, so I'll raise your "tolerate" to "celebrate."

Always be smelling

Rick
    Since this is the beginning of a new year all is forgiven.

I really appreciate you fellas giving me a break. I think that is what makes this hobby so interesting in that not everyone will like every fragrance no matter how many others find it quite wearable. If all of us liked only the same fragrances we wouldn't have as much to discuss or discover. I learn so many new things with each new fragrance I test or old ones I revisit.

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Basenotes Plus

For me I don't care too much for Eau d' Hermes Not sure WHAT it is but something about it is a big turn off. I am talking about the copper top one. I broke the sprayer and had to decant it to two 1.7 oz glass atomizers. I have alot left if anybody wants to swap.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
    Rochas Moustache
    EdT Concentreé
    totally agree, it's just hmm... terrible

Quote Originally Posted by mgrigoriev View Post
    totally agree, it's just hmm... terrible
    You summed it up perfectly in one word sir!

Another personal example (and opinion) could be the by now discontinued and thus vintage Drakkar Dynamik.
    While, again subjectively speaking, not abysmally bad and in fact a quite nice designer fragrance on the sweeter side, it adds very little new or impressive to both Drakkar flankers and to non-Drakkar masculines by this house.

I gave vintage Trussardi Uomo a thumbs up in a review, but wearing it yesterday I'd now give it a thumbs down.
    Opening spray was fantastic and rich.
    Then it started to dry down and it had this super dry, dirty tobacco or some kind of gross "leather" (could it be described as fecal?)and that was it. I was waiting for it to get better, but after about an hour I had to find a public restroom to scrub it off.
    The paltry liquid watery soap wasn't enough to get it off.
    Used hand sanitizer, still couldn't get it completely off.

I wore this once before, and remembered a dirty moment in the middle of the dry down, but overall I considered it to be an expensive smelling, masculine 80s fragrance, that smelled even better 14 hours later.

What I smelled yesterday for that hour was just bad.
    I'm giving it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    I gave vintage Trussardi Uomo a thumbs up in a review, but wearing it yesterday I'd now give it a thumbs down.
    Opening spray was fantastic and rich.
    Then it started to dry down and it had this super dry, dirty tobacco or some kind of gross "leather" (could it be described as fecal?)and that was it. I was waiting for it to get better, but after about an hour I had to find a public restroom to scrub it off.
    The paltry liquid watery soap wasn't enough to get it off.
    Used hand sanitizer, still couldn't get it completely off.

I wore this once before, and remembered a dirty moment in the middle of the dry down, but overall I considered it to be an expensive smelling, masculine 80s fragrance, that smelled even better 14 hours later.

What I smelled yesterday for that hour was just bad.
    I'm giving it back.
    Interesting commentary on Trussardi Uomo. I have a sample, and I've enjoyed wearing it, and been impressed, at least mildly or tentatively.

I like the theme in the thread about reserving final verdict pending further wearings; interesting to have this one go from a thumbs up to a thumbs down.

Who are you giving it back to? It was a gift?

Is this the bottle you're talking about? (Photo courtesy of the venerable AlanG.)

Attachment 71644

Basenotes Plus

I LOVE original Trussardi uomo. I also really like the current formulation lol. My wife and 22 y.o. son prefer the current. I actually get more compliments on the current. But I love the original enough to have 3 bottles hahaha. OCD

Bad a Versailles?
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    What is the most horrifying old-school animalic fragrance for women among the old classics? Something that smells positively fecal. Is there anything like that?

A woman who otherwise wore amazing classics, wore it to work one time, and I was absolutely just knocked back from her. It was involuntary. I was breathing through my mouth, tucking my chin, backing away.

It was like Satan's bespoke Guerlain. It made vintage Tabu (the kind with tropical powdery dirty musk) smell like Boss Pure.
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics