Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances You Gave a Thumbs Down!

Antaeus for me

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    I still think these are awesome, but I can't wear them in the versions I've tried so far:

Youth Dew (tested recent EDP from store)
    Tabu (vintage cologne from 1950's-60's)
    Habanita (vintage EDT and current EDP)

From time to time, I think about trying Tabu and Habanita in the vintage parfum formulation or Youth Dew in the vintage bath oil, but I realize that I am becoming ridiculous.
    I've now tried Youth Dew vintage bath oil, and I love it, so strike that one off my Thumbs Down list.

And it really isn't ridiculous to keep trying. I've realized that many of my vintage Nays turn out to be Yays once I get my hands on the right formulation and the right bottle. I first tried Diorissimo in a purportedly vintage EDT sample, and it was totally meh. Tried again with vintage parfum, from my own bottle, and I could see what a great perfume it really was. I owned a pristine1980's Narcisse Noir EDT that was also unimpressive, but my vintage extrait is glorious. I have more examples, but you get the idea. If a particular vintage perfume really appeals to you, based on what you read about it or its history, it is sometimes worthwhile to give it a few tries.
    Currently wearing: Métal by Paco Rabanne

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Good guess, Oviatt.

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    I've realized that many of my vintage Nays turn out to be Yays once I get my hands on the right formulation and the right bottle.
    Experimenting with different concentrations and bottle styles pays off. I usually end up liking all of them.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Although it sometimes seems like it to me, not all vintage fragrances are super awesome, are they? What are some you've given a thumbs down?
    Indeed. It's pretty much like any other time in perfume history, good/bad/mediocre/whatever.

For me, so far... Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. Modern formulation, granted. But, yeahhhhh... not for me, haha.
    Not sure how far back we can go for vintage, but also: cK be. Don't know if the bottle was bad/off or what, but it basically just smelled like hairspray to me?
    Angel EdP - doesn't smell bad, but it's just too.. much of something. Doesn't jive with me.
    Monsieur de Givenchy - modern bottle, don't remember what it smells like, but I rated it a 2/5.
    Roma Uomo - 2/5
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Freed from BN Institution

The most thumbs down that I gave were from Avon. From the Sample Pass I remember not being happy with half of them.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

Brut cologne
    Currently wearing: 33 by Chris Rusak

terre d'hermes- AWFULL,
    Issey Miyake- cant stand it, disgusting to me
    Roma UOMO - gave me headaches the entire day

Trussardi Uomo vintage imo is an incredible scent -love it to death...same as JAZZ YSL

Basenotes Plus

I know they're very popular with certain perfumistas, but I can't tolerate the heavily and/or sweetly powdered natures of Shalimar, Emeraude, or Chantilly.
    Currently wearing: 1000 by Jean Patou

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Interesting commentary on Trussardi Uomo. I have a sample, and I've enjoyed wearing it, and been impressed, at least mildly or tentatively.

I like the theme in the thread about reserving final verdict pending further wearings; interesting to have this one go from a thumbs up to a thumbs down.

Who are you giving it back to? It was a gift?

Is this the bottle you're talking about? (Photo courtesy of the venerable AlanG.)

Attachment 71644
    Have anyone realized that there are what I think that must be 2 different versions of Trussardi uomo with this snake's skin bottle? The first one (truly amazing) has a big greyhound logo as shown in AlanG's photo. The second one has an identical bottle, but was produced by "Selective Beauty". The box has a small greyhound logo. Almost identical. The smell is clearly watered down, the powdery vibe reduced drastically. It seems they wanted to reduce costs and modernize the fragrance. Failed miserably.
    Bought it on italian ebay 4-5 years ago. I don't think It's fake. Trussardi wasn't a best seller after 2000s to justify the effort.
    Has anyone ever noticed it?

I only had a brief whiff of Trussardi, one to revisit, the newer versions of it is an entirely different scent I remember that. My hard thumbs down is Oscar de la Renta pour lui, recently read a review here mentioning Tide laundry musks and yes, that.
    Last I posted here I couldn't do Kouros, I need to delete that ridiculous post lol

Trussardi UOMO vintage i love in wintertime, same as Ferre for men, those more darker scents

i had Pour Lui but it was a bummer, i didnt get any smell of it...lol, i had a new version, never had the vintage, i ilke to try vintage

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by relus View Post
    terre d'hermes- AWFULL,
    Issey Miyake- cant stand it, disgusting to me
    Roma UOMO - gave me headaches the entire day

Trussardi Uomo vintage imo is an incredible scent -love it to death...same as JAZZ YSL
    ???

Terre d'Hermes is not vintage.

The Issey Miyake - are you talking about L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme? Might qualify as vintage due to release date, but it smells pretty modern. Released in 90's.
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme
    thread reviver

yup your right, terre hermes nog vintage, lol it was still in my system tough....

Freed from BN Institution

One of my recent samplings, Eau d'Hermes in vintage formulation. It really doesn't sit well on my skin. I get a strong dose of cumin with spices and citrus backing it up.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Talking Re: Vintage Fragrances You Gave a Thumbs Down!

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    One of my recent samplings, Eau d'Hermes in vintage formulation. It really doesn't sit well on my skin. I get a strong dose of cumin with spices and citrus backing it up.
    Any indication of what Vintage you've sampled? My experience has been the Coppertop exhibits this character you describe.
    That being said all Vintages I have scented characterize this vague discord.
    Your choice of Guerlain has me scenting the same for this evening.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

I dare saying it but I was not impress by gucci rush for men, it s not bad but nothing particular in my opinion, i get a bug spray feeling in the opening, i have one bottle but i never use it...
    Maybe i was expecting to much but I found envy for men and gucci homme far superior.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
    Rochas Moustache
    EdT Concentreé
    Argee on that one!)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Aw man, you seem displeased with Eau d'Hermes and Kouros as well, two of my favorites haha.

Quote Originally Posted by keram View Post
    I dare saying it but I was not impress by gucci rush for men, it s not bad but nothing particular in my opinion, i get a bug spray feeling in the opening, i have one bottle but i never use it...
    Maybe i was expecting to much but I found envy for men and gucci homme far superior.
    Envy for Men is good stuff - awaiting a bottle to arrive today.
    All Hail King Kouros!