Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default Vintage Fragrances You Gave a Thumbs Down!

Although it sometimes seems like it to me, not all vintage fragrances are super awesome, are they? What are some you've given a thumbs down?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances You Gave a Thumbs Down!

Youth Dew by Lauder. I've tried, and tried, and tried.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Capucci Pour Homme
    Aramis
    Last edited by hednic; 28th December 2017 at 01:05 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Azzaro Pour Homme. Blasphemy, I know. Was just underwhelmed by it.

I still think these are awesome, but I can't wear them in the versions I've tried so far:

Youth Dew (tested recent EDP from store)

Tabu (vintage cologne from 1950's-60's)

Habanita (vintage EDT and current EDP)

From time to time, I think about trying Tabu and Habanita in the vintage parfum formulation or Youth Dew in the vintage bath oil, but I realize that I am becoming ridiculous.

Always be smelling

Lheure Blueu
    Habanita
    Jules
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Coriolan by Guerlain

Vintage Good Life by Davidoff

Always be smelling

And echoing sentiments for
    Good Life
    Youth Dew
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Coriolan by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    From time to time, I think about trying Tabu and Habanita in the vintage parfum formulation or Youth Dew in the vintage bath oil, but I realize that I am becoming ridiculous.

Yeah, it's not like there's a shortage of easy-to-love vintages worth spending our time hunting down.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Jules
    50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Most 18th and 19th century Eau de Colognes, including the original Farina and it's most famous knockoff (that ironically surpassed it in sales) 4711.

I get that they helped ease aristocratic men of the 18th century into fragrance as they were genderless and refreshing enough to not make them feel like a tart. I find it amusing even that they eventually became a holdover for bathing to some folks later without easy access to running hot water. Their continued promulgation however, well into the 19th century and early 20th left a slew of lemon and herb spritzes that all seem slight variations on a theme and boring.

Some of the ones made by famous barbershop brands go more floral or leathery, but all of them have longevity of 30 minutes and the silliage of mouthwash, and unlike those poor fellas of centuries past, I'm not going to sponge bath my fragrance on myself before work. I keep a bottle of 4711 as a linen or loo freshener, but I never use it on myself. Even more modern scents made at "Eau de Cologne" concentration in sprays or pours have at least a -few- hours of life, which I can extend with reapplication.

Bay Rum has the same problem with smell-alikes, but I like Bay Rum and it lasts much longer, so it's fine once you've decided which version (or handful of versions) you want to stick with. Outside of traditional Eau de Cologne, there hasn't been too much -yet- to disappoint me.
    oh look, I have a signature

Sillage Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Youth Dew by Lauder. I've tried, and tried, and tried.
    Agreed! Worst scent ever devised to my nose.
    July Picks

Russian Tea, Salome, Satori, Cryptic, Vermilion Promise, Leather Up, The Calling, Obscure Oud

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Although it sometimes seems like it to me, not all vintage fragrances are super awesome, are they? What are some you've given a thumbs down?
    And how about you, Bavard? You're usually such a generous critic, but surely there's been something that you really, really disliked?

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    And how about you, Bavard? You're usually such a generous critic, but surely there's been something that you really, really disliked?
    For classics, I usually like them, or at worst give them a neutral. Scrolling through my more than 300 reviews, the only thumbs down for a vintage (pre-1996) fragrance I found was for Private Number for Men (1992) by Etienne Aigner. According to my smelling notes, it's a scrubber.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    For classics, I usually like them, or at worst give them a neutral. Scrolling through my more than 300 reviews, the only thumbs down for a vintage (pre-1996) fragrance I found was for Private Number for Men (1992) by Etienne Aigner. According to my smelling notes, it's a scrubber.
    As I said -- generous.

And look what showed up in my Word-a-Day email today. Quite the opposite of what would describe the Basenotes Bavard:

Attachment 76107

Arden's Sandalwood. I returned it.
    Also, I can't mess with Kouros.. Sorry lol

I am surprised to see such dislike for vintage Youth Dew... Strong it is, but I like it. The bath oil is stronger.

Perhaps, most of the old scrubbers have disappeared, so we do not know about them...

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I am surprised to see such dislike for vintage Youth Dew... Strong it is, but I like it. The bath oil is stronger.

Perhaps, most of the old scrubbers have disappeared, so we do not know about them...

cacio
    Totally by coincidence, I'm wearing a somewhat vintage Youth Dew bath oil today for the first time. The opening is harsh but not totally off-putting if you're used to heavy aldehydes. I'm really liking the base, though. I'm getting a strong moss presence, where I was expecting a heavy powder/spice/oriental beast. There's a hint of the opening aldehyde bomb, but overall it's pretty friendly.

I struggle with:

Aramis
    Aramis 900, and its cousin, Aromatics Elixir - I respect these (and Aramis original) but cannot comfortably wear them.
    YSL Jazz - it's harsh, dry and acidic on me (shocking! I do love my Live Jazz, though).
    Cartier Santos - just blah. Not much personality.
    Creed Acier Aluminum - overripe bananas, spice, and blue airplane toilet juice. Yum.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Plus

I, too, am not fond of Youth Dew or Habanita. I am also not a fan of Bandit or Private Collection or Azuree or Knowing.

I love to smell Tabu and Aromatics Elixir and Opium on others, but not on myself.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    I, too, am not fond of Youth Dew or Habanita. I am also not a fan of Bandit or Private Collection or Azuree or Knowing.

I love to smell Tabu and Aromatics Elixir and Opium on others, but not on myself.
    Funny I actually like Youth Dew a lot when it's just a whisper. Real easy to overdo it.

Bandit gives me the hebeejeebees.

I'm not a fan of Aramis. Give me the Cabochard.

The only scents that having me think thumbs down are heavy Vintage Tuberose.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Antaeus, didn't like it when it first came out and don't like it now either
    Currently wearing: Moods Uomo by Krizia

Tabu and Habanita for me as well, both are too thick and powdery for me. I do love Youth Dew, though, and have loved it since my teens.

Is Drakkar Noir considered vintage? I've never been able to handle that one.

Creed Cuir de Russie --Gave it a try many moons ago. I just could not understand how anyone would want to smell like that.

Rochas Moustache
    EdT Concentreé

Cacharel pour l'homme
    Avon Wild Country
    Stetson

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

What is the most horrifying old-school animalic fragrance for women among the old classics? Something that smells positively fecal. Is there anything like that?

A woman who otherwise wore amazing classics, wore it to work one time, and I was absolutely just knocked back from her. It was involuntary. I was breathing through my mouth, tucking my chin, backing away.

It was like Satan's bespoke Guerlain. It made vintage Tabu (the kind with tropical powdery dirty musk) smell like Boss Pure.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Night by Azzaro

Basenotes Plus

I have a mini of Givenchy III edt which I've tried to love and failed - once I did get a bit of peach but mostly it smells musty to me. I recently got a Meilleurs Parfums set where the Givenchy III mini doesn't specify concentration, so I must try that to see if it's parfum and any different. My minis of Pucci Vivara and Antilope also have that mustiness.

Modern Mitsouko horrified me when I was starting out and I suspect I still wouldn't like it. I should maybe try a vintage but I spend too much already, so why chase trouble...

I wonder what Redneck's satanic perfume could be? Bandit seems to be quite scary but meaty rather than fecal.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    What is the most horrifying old-school animalic fragrance for women among the old classics? Something that smells positively fecal. Is there anything like that?

A woman who otherwise wore amazing classics, wore it to work one time, and I was absolutely just knocked back from her. It was involuntary. I was breathing through my mouth, tucking my chin, backing away.

It was like Satan's bespoke Guerlain. It made vintage Tabu (the kind with tropical powdery dirty musk) smell like Boss Pure.
    So I will jump on the Habanita hate, first of all. But I disagree about Youth Dew; the musky mossy jasmine is pleasant enough.

As to your fecal one, Redneck, is it perhaps vintage Shocking? Sweaty and civetty and if over-applied, I predict it could do that. Mostly to me it smells of unwashed female parts, but I suppose it's all in the application with civet. Keep in mind that the modern is much more floral and even a bit fruity and absent of any real civet.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

I love vintage Shocking. Yes, really musky, but not fecal in any way.
    Indeed, I am wondering whether what redneck was smelling wasn't the perfume but the person herself.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    As to your fecal one, Redneck, is it perhaps vintage Shocking? Sweaty and civetty and if over-applied, I predict it could do that.
    Agreed, Shocking is a good candidate, although I love it. I have two diferent vintages (pre-1960), and they both live up to their name.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I am wondering whether what redneck was smelling wasn't the perfume but the person herself.
    Also a possibility. There's a halitosis quality to Shocking, and if she already had a case of her own, the combination could be lethal.