Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Pictures not downloading

I am not able to download pictures. I push the picture icon and the whole page turns gray but that's it. No window opens up or request for my photo selection. This is the latest problem. Recently, I have given up trying to access photos from the internet via hosting site tinypics as it no longer works.

Edit- I just tried again and now it's working. Now I should try the tinypics again, maybe.
    Last edited by kumquat; 27th December 2017 at 03:08 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pictures not downloading

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I am not able to download pictures. I push the picture icon and the whole page turns gray but that's it. No window opens up or request for my photo selection. This is the latest problem. Recently, I have given up trying to access photos from the internet via hosting site tinypics as it no longer works.

Edit- I just tried again and now it's working. Now I should try the tinypics again, maybe.
    kumquat - I've suffered the same problem. It's related to the server being slow. When it gets in that really super-slow state, everything is slowed down, including actions like picture uploads to BN.

The only thing one can do is hit the button a few times - that seems to work for me. Refreshing the page does, too, although that may mean I have to finish the post and come back to add a picture.

Hosting sites are no longer really reliable for pictures, and I don't recommend them. People who put things on Photobucket are now faced with either paying a rather steep fee for hosting, or just downloading their pictures from Photobucket and uploading them to Basenotes, which is what I recommend. You could also try using imgur.com, which still has free hosting, but it's probably best to keep them on BN, in case they follow Photobucket's example. When I find old threads with "hostage" Photobucket photos, I simply edit the posts and upload a copy of the original pictures to BN. It takes about a minute per photo.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Azzaro

Blog Entries

Ok, thanks for your prompt answer, Red.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    kumquat - I've suffered the same problem. It's related to the server being slow. When it gets in that really super-slow state, everything is slowed down, including actions like picture uploads to BN.

The only thing one can do is hit the button a few times - that seems to work for me. Refreshing the page does, too, although that may mean I have to finish the post and come back to add a picture.

Hosting sites are no longer really reliable for pictures, and I don't recommend them. People who put things on Photobucket are now faced with either paying a rather steep fee for hosting, or just downloading their pictures from Photobucket and uploading them to Basenotes, which is what I recommend. You could also try using imgur.com, which still has free hosting, but it's probably best to keep them on BN, in case they follow Photobucket's example. When I find old threads with "hostage" Photobucket photos, I simply edit the posts and upload a copy of the original pictures to BN. It takes about a minute per photo.
    Yesterday I couldn't load an image all day. Every time I hit the Upload Image button, it would go back to the post but there would be no text showing the link to the image. It was just blank.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Blog Entries

How do I upload photos to BN? The feature has disappeared.

Community Manager

Maybe Grant is doing some work on the site. I will alert him that there's a problem.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Blog Entries

Now it seems to be only a problem with personal message features. But thanks!