Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Arrow Female boss demands that I smell the "right way". *Please help me*

Hey Ladies & Gentlemen.

I'm really hoping someone in here can help me out with some much needed advice.

So I just finished a very long financial education - and got a test-job-position at an investment bank, where I basically meet and talks with bigger clients: in short this means I'm a trainee aka. have a small leadership position where - and that I will be tested and weighted on everything.

It also means that I'm right now very poor (broke almost) but pretending not to be (because I have to at this job).

My boss is a younger women 27 years old, I noticed smell is a big thing to her:

Like she smelled to some flowers that was delivered and asked for them to throw them out because they did not smell good.
    She accept or rejects her coffee on how it smells and so on ...

She is quite the mix of ultra feminine and rather powerful, like I also saw her smoking a cigar with one of the other bosses (though she did not smell of cigar smoke).

Anyways I only had my first workday before the christmas holliday - and she downright told me:
    "You need to remember to wear an exotic fragrance if you want to work here, our clients care! Wear something masculine and exotic but professional, so the clients will remember your smell when you have meetings with them!". Then she turned around and walked away.

It has made me panic to be honest, because:

1) My budget for a scent is almost non exisiting and will be for the next 3-6 months, untill they start paying me a proper sallery.
    2) I have no competence in picking such a scent.
    3) It has to be: Masculine, Excotic but professional.
    4) There is a huge risk they will get to see the bottle.

Can someone in here please help me?
    I can't tell how much it would mean to me.

Thank you 🙏🏻

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Female boss demands that I smell the "right way". *Please help me*

Get a decant of Aventus and wear a discreet amount. When you get some money, buy a larger bottle or something better instead.

You're welcome.

With spelling like that, be happy that at least you have a job.

Sounds like a bird I'd like to take out.
    Life is too short to sample. Buy Blind | I am generally not interested in batch hunting or weak fragrances.

Top 10 in no particular order:

Amouage - Epic Man
    Montale - Black Aoud
    Montale - Aoud Lime
    Boucheron - Jaipur pour homme edp
    Hermes - Terre d'Hermes pure parfum
    Thierry Mugler - A Men Pure Malt
    Dior - Sauvage edt
    Rochas - Lui
    Davidoff - Cool Water
    Mancera - Cedrat Boise

Given that cost is a major factor, I'll suggest Boucheron Pour Homme or Guerlain Heritage

None of this sounds very likely but it's almost too ridiculous to be made up so I'm torn...

Woman and women. Learn the difference please!
    “You must have a perfume. A perfume is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?” Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by WhatWomenWants View Post
    Like she smelled to some flowers that was delivered and asked for them to throw them out because they did not smell good.

She is quite the mix of ultra feminine and rather powerful, like I also saw her smoking a cigar with one of the other bosses (though she did not smell of cigar smoke).

Anyways I only had my first workday before the christmas holliday - and she downright told me:
    "You need to remember to wear an exotic fragrance if you want to work here, our clients care! Wear something masculine and exotic but professional, so the clients will remember your smell when you have meetings with them!". Then she turned around and walked away.
    She definitely sounds like an interesting character . Whatever you wear, you should wear with confidence. I get the impression that that's far more important to her than the actual fragrance itself. So make sure to pick something that you are happy and confident with.

As for suggestions, I think Terre d'Hermes, YSL Opium pour Homme or Tom Ford Noir Extreme are suitable and affordable options.

Good luck!

Welcome!

What a strange request... anyway, obviously the budget makes things a little difficult. Things that pop off my mind include some classic Estee Lauder (Azuree, Knowing), that were thought to be long lasting and for professional women. Agree also on some masculine Guerlain, very classic (Habit Rouge, Heritage).

Given that she seems to have clear opinions on perfumes, you can also ask for her feedback - sample something, or spray on paperstrip and ask her what her suggestions would be.

cacio

Always be smelling

Kouros
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Paradigm by Avon

Basenotes Plus

I don't believe I'd want to work any place that dictated my perfume usage.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatWomenWants View Post
    Hey Ladies & Gentlemen.

I'm really hoping someone in here can help me out with some much needed advice.

So I just finished a very long financial education - and got a test-job-position at an investment bank, where I basically meet and talks with bigger clients: in short this means I'm a trainee aka. have a small leadership position where - and that I will be tested and weighted on everything.

It also means that I'm right now very poor (broke almost) but pretending not to be (because I have to at this job).

My boss is a younger women 27 years old, I noticed smell is a big thing to her:

It has made me panic to be honest, because:

1) My budget for a scent is almost non exisiting and will be for the next 3-6 months, untill they start paying me a proper sallery.
    2) I have no competence in picking such a scent.
    3) It has to be: Masculine, Excotic but professional.
    4) There is a huge risk they will get to see the bottle.

Can someone in here please help me?
    I can't tell how much it would mean to me.

Thank you ����
    Ask your coworkers that have worked with her the names of the frags that they were so you get an idea of what she consideres "masculine" and then post here and we can recommend something similar or at least try to help you get a decant of something affordable.

If she had said that to me I would have told her in no uncertain terms that I will not be dictated to in what fragrance I choose to wear. She sounds like a battleaxe in the making!
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Current Favorites

1. Eau de Guerlain
    2. Dior Eau Sauvage Edt
    3. Chypre Siam By Rogue Perfumery
    4. Guerlain Habit Rouge L' Eau
    5. Eau de Rochas Edt By Rochas

If true she sounds like a young version of:

The-Devil-Wears-Prada-Movie-925066656-303312-1.jpg

I'd say that 'exotic' and 'professional' are unlikely to be the same fragrance, so having difficulty thinking of a good recommendation at the moment.

Dependent

Hermes Bel Ami / Bel Ami Vetiver. Masculine, a little off-kilter from the common sugary bubblegum junk that fills fragrance shelves these days, definitely memorable, professional (works great with a suit), "upscale" if you will, but won't break the bank.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I don't believe I'd want to work any place that dictated my perfume usage.
    You and me both.

Lanvin L'Homme is classy, understated, office friendly and very reasonably priced.
    For something a little more exotic - Penhaligon's Endymion.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 29th December 2017 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Kouros
    +1 Kouros. Hit about 5 or 6 sprays at home when you get dressed, then top if off with a couple more sprays when you get to work. Preferably right by boss lady's desk. She'll be impressed.
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Sounds like a genuinley stupid woman. Having said that, if you still want to impress her go for Secretions Magnifique by Etat Libre D'Orange (ELDO)

Well known as a professional / classical Scent and sure to leave an impression. Quite affordable too.

Quote Originally Posted by ION-ONE View Post
    Having said that, if you still want to impress her go for Secretions Magnifique by Etat Libre D'Orange (ELDO)

Well known as a professional / classical Scent and sure to leave an impression. Quite affordable too.
    +1, excellent suggestion

I'm calling bullshit
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Basenoters, I am surprised any of you believe this is anything other than a fiction composed for whatever reason but nonetheless a fiction.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts

Her name isn't Jan is it?

"I drank what?" -Socrates

This is one of the strangest stories I've ever read here. Are you sure she's not messing with you? Having a laugh at your expense? That's a very odd request. Are you sure you're not messing with us?

My recommendation in your scenario would be Dolce&Gabanna The One or Lalique Hommage a L'Homme. They won't break the bank, are both from respectable brands, and they're different--exotic if you will. The One is safer while the Lalique has the potential to either be a huge hit, or a flop. It's distinct, and different than the average 22-year-old scent. Both have nice bottles.

On second thought go easier on the sprays. You don't want to trigger this cougar's attack instincts, and wind up "in trouble".

cb6cf6bdf9ba0a499093fc3732efed44--tv-quotes-movie-quotes.jpg
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

when she goes out, secretly spray a full bottle of Secretions Magnifique into her office and watch her have a heart attack when she comes back.

Man I could make such a crass comment here about the true nature of reality and how it stands (or doesn't) in your boss's corner or the world but I shan't as those that know, know

Nautica Voyage is my suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Oriane View Post
    Basenoters, I am surprised any of you believe this is anything other than a fiction composed for whatever reason but nonetheless a fiction.
    Yep, although curious re: the bolded part...

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    I'm calling bullshit
    Indeed. Can smell it from here.

Basenotes Junkie

I agree with everyone who's calling bullshit on this. It reads like a child's idea of what it's like in the big, weird world of grownups.

Basenotes Junkie

To the OP. Is there an HR department there? I would politely say that you are there to learn and excel at your position. Doubt they hired you based on how you smell, but rather based on your potential to contribute to the success of the company. IMHO, based on your story, this woman is clearly unfit to manage employees.

To answer your question, maybe L'eau D'Issey Pour Homme by Issey Miyake. It can probably be found inexpensively and is IMHO appropriate for the office. As a very inexpensive alternative, +1 for Nautica Voyage. Best wishes.
    Last edited by pippin06; 29th December 2017 at 07:34 PM.