Code of Conduct

Default Kinam/Kyara: The Ultimate Experience !

For those exposed to the World of Ouds, Kyara or Kinam, has always been revered as the finest aromatic wood known to man. However, this rare material has always been surrounded by mystery
    due to it's extremely limited availability but moreso by lack of scientific literature on the subject esp outside China and Japan. Both countries utilise fine aromatic woods as staple, well, almost because of the ancient cultural association with incense. Aromatic woods form the major chunk of the Incense practices. And they certainly have taken it to another level with dedicated disciplinary schools of Incense. A fine example of traditional perfume culture is the Japanese Kodo or way of incense. Kodo or way of incense, is a traditional ceremony where different aromatic woods are burnt and enjoyed among the students/connoisseurs of incense. Guessing and describing woods is performed by the most respected noses and individual findings are then matched and documented for future reference. There are fixed five types of aroma categories. Such sessions are known as Monkoh or the practice of burning incense. As opposed to the flamboyant Oud burning practices in the Middle East where large precious chunks are burnt in large incense burners to create a fragrant and spiritual atmosphere, the Japanese way focuses on minimalism and conservation. To understand the smell in purity without subjecting one to extra or auxiliary notes from smoke etc. Tiny wood pieces are gently baked over Mica plactes supported by specifically raised Ash mounds in traditional cups.

Kyara, a Japanese term, and equivalent to Chinese Qi Nam or Kinam was given to a certain type of aromatic wood which has been speculated to be an Agarwood type closely related to the Aquilaria family. So basically a very precious form of Aloeswood. It's origin is debatable but this type is usually found in Vietnam most widely accepted to come from Aquilaria Sinensis subtype of Agarwood. It is believed that Agarwood when subjected to different physical forces over a period of hundreds and thousands of years turns into Kyara wood. It is evident in it's high density of resin content almost transforming the usual hard wood fibre in Oud to a rubbery consistency. The Kyara wood aroma is spell binding and is superior than the most precious chunk of Oud.

I recently found myself searching for a nice Kyara chip after having saturated myself with the most enchanting Oud aromas from the World over a respectable period of time. It's a whole new world of fragrance and I was really motivated after watching the Al Jazeera documentary - Scent of Heaven. But first I equipped myself with the necessary tools to experience the pure aroma of these precious piece of wood as the cost can be anywhere from 300USD for to a thousand for as little as 1 gram. It requires special heat settings as compared to Agarwood. A gentle baking instead of heating or burning.

So I got myself a tiny piece of Green Kyara Oil wood chip from Kyara Zen who is considered a global authority on this subject. The noble gentleman has written many educational articles related to incense especially the mysterious Kyara with scientific details. I finally received my package and here are my findings that I would love to share with you all.

Unlike agarwood this wood is highly fragrant at room temperature. No need to burn even. Bracelets made with Kyara beads would make for a great naturally perfumed ornaments. On placing it on the electrically regulated ceramic burner at low heat for approx 5 mins, I get very uplifting gentle whiffs of piercing bittersweet terpenoid aroma spiced with Cinnamon and Licorice with a soft creamy vanilla flavoured milk aspect in the opening. It's unusually clean and crisp. A unique aroma which has a spectacular fragrance. Beats my most precious Vietnamese Agarwood chip aroma by miles. It has a very calming effect on me.

I have utilised the same chip multiple times for my electric Monkoh sessions lol lasting about 15 mins each time. I definitely wasn't able to fumigate my clothes with it like regular Oud but it has left a certain scent memory in my brain scent so distinct I can re-imagine it in my brain everytime with a surprising clarity. I do believe it is in close relation to Agarwood because the baseline bittersweet undeniably Oudy aroma they share but Kyara is just way too clean and crisp. I can only find a hint of Kyara in some of the really precious old wood chips from Vietnamese namely Vietnam Incense Wood from respected Mr. Tony Bolton. If you haven't heard of him. Do yourself a favour and head off to Facebook now and look for him !!!

To wrap it all up, I just want to say, the Kyara Experience is definitely the most memorable highlight of my Olfactory journey until mother nature throws something more spectacular than this. It's always surprising us in new ways. Lucky are those Japanese Kings and Queens who had their thrones and staff carved out in Kyara ! It took me a good amount of time to grasp it's aroma and some more to be able to get completely hooked on to it. I am hooked but cannot have more...
    Last edited by exoticscents; 4th January 2018 at 05:52 PM.
    Currently wearing: Musk Aoud by Roja Dove

Basenotes Member

Default Re: Kinam/Kyara: The Ultimate Experience !

nikhil brother,

happy to see you got to experience the green oil kyara from KZ. i LOVE IT.

few quick things to add on my end:

small correction: the scent from heaven documentary is not BBC but rather al jazeera.

KZ green oil kyara is bordering black kyara category: it has lost most of its cooling, green, camphoric/minty notes and is gone mostly sweet condensed milk with vannila note route.

now that you have tried this beautiful kyara, it is time to explore further and try kinam from sinesis variety, purple kinam, white kyara, yellow oil, etc. all have a common theme-naturally- but each with such minor gentle but noticable nuances.

lastly for your and everyone else's interest. dont forgo seeking out soil wood. it is certainly not kyara/kinam, but it also isnt agarwood as we know. soil wood is its own unique category. what i like about them is the subtlety. the way the aromas are rounded and devoid of angularity, sharpness and otherwise lmpurity. not all soil wood are the same and price is highly varried. i have found, look of a piece does nothing. if you have the means try samples before making a sizable purchase. to date i have been left more or less 60-40 in my success/failure ratio of seeking out soil wood. some terrific and some not so much.

Thank you wise brother. One more aroma profile added to the list. I will have to look the topic up. Cheers. The Vanilla accord is common to most woods on low heat esp on Mica plate/Ceramic. It's not particularly a Kyara thing. Manipuri woods have a nice creamy vanilla accord in abundance too. Cheers.

Toronto_NDN here from youtube ( Toronto bro ) Anyway, it would be amazing experience to smell all these. Great info you have provided and I will look into this. GREAT INFORMATION AGAIN!!!

Thanks brother!

If not now, when?

Ensar Oud has Kinam oil, if I remember correctly, you posted a small review of it no?
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Marrakech Intense by Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Ensar Oud has Kinam oil, if I remember correctly, you posted a small review of it no?
    Lots of Kinam oils. He had put up major discounts on Boxing Day! May still be on.

Basenotes Member

for those interested in exploring kinam/kyara:

just a heads up to all. 99% of the oils carrying the name kinam, are NOT actually made from kinam. but rather carry scents similar enough to kinam. to amke matters more confusing, there is no such thing as just kinam. the origin and and which category (green, purple, red, yellow, white, black) the kinam/kyara belongs to makes a huge difference as well.

lastly kinam is not jsut about the scent but the emotion or energy it transmits. as nikhil pointed out other woods of different origin and much much much lower price can emit that milky sweet vannlic note, but try a piece of black oil kyara on low heater and is as if that scent is tripped away of all other notes, zoomed in, in 4k HD and somehow gives you wings and feeling of taking flight.

my 2 cents.

Basenotes Member

hi all
    been putting this off for longer than i should have. i have tried below pieces multi times on their own and in a row with the other pieces as well as various heating techniques. below are my impressions and guidelines based on trial error, literature and my own direct experience.

size:
    on average i get 10 to 15 uses from each 0.1 gram of top kyara/kianm and 5-10 uses from soil wood and lesser kinams.

i have found what works best for me. i use two pieces each time. one chunky (relatively speaking( piece, think shape of rice grain but half the size) and also use a very very thin shaving piece along. i find the scents to be very different in strength and is quite nice two pieces with different thickness used in tandem.

method of heating:
    1) subitism over one thin mica sheet and then the half the rice grain piece is placed away from the element, over element for half a second then away. i find this to be the best method of capturing both the very subtle nuances as well as the more powerful notes with ooomph.

2) ceramic heater at 130-150 for the longest and cleanest burn but one misses the "bit hit" or " the all revealed instantly" that is experienced with the subitism.

note: whatever you do, do NOT go on super hot temperature cause not only you are not going to get an intense hit, but you are all together toasting the little that was there. low and slow. best to go super (even less hot) low temp first and slowly crank it up, rather than reverse.

list of pieces:
    kyarazen: yellow oil kyara, green oil kyara (verging black kyara classification), hainan green kinam, HK purple kinam, vietnam red fusen soil
    agar aroma (tony bolton): red soil kinam, yellow soil wood (both vietnam)
    ensar: brunei kinam
    no brand pass me down vietnam kyara from a vietnamese friend (which i actually think is just a old heartwood nha trang or hue wood)
    yamadamatsu: shin kyara (2017 purchase from japan incense as part of rikoku gomi set)

Impressions:

kyarazen:
    yellow oil kyara: yes, this will work just fine as an example of kinam/kyara for a virgin nose to get "it". intense, light clour honey, menthol, powdered milk note. "cooling" intense note mixed with "intense" sweetness is basically the profile here

green oil kyara: this piece is closer to black oil kyara as almost all of the "green" "cooling" "menthol" notes are gone and replaced with intense vanilla, condensed milk and an unidentifiable "perfume" scent. this is a WOW piece. i get what the fuss is all about kind of experience, and remains for me the most treasured piece out of all the above pieces along with purple kinam.

hainan green kinam via wu shuang ge: nice and certainly appropriate to have Kinam attached to teh name as the dna is there but nowhere near the intensity, the oomph and the wow factor of other pieces. more like an amazing old heart wood piece of hainan. the scent can be found in many of wu shuang ge incenses, namely the nine lifetime and hainanese.

HK purple kinam also via wu shuang ge: scent of ensar purple kinam oil and also agar aura's ayu mixed with more wood, spice, and a deep dark and cant put to word perfume scent. iris? violet? another super WOW piece.

vietnam red fusen soil: coconut nectar, coconut shaving and white chcoloate mouse. vanillic too. intense but very short lasting. unique and mouth watering. lovely stuff.

agar aroma (tony bolton):

red soil kinam: i dont know. it took me the longest and most practice to get it. quietest and shiest of all pieces listed above. the kinam in the name barely fits. i reserve judgment for further study and exposure to other red soil material. as a kinam, this wont do for someone looking for that AHA moment.

yellow soil Vietnam wood: also quieter and doesnt really work or last on high heat. on low heat a general pleasant dusty, woody, sandal but also vietnam sweet, honey, vanillic note comes out. closest scent is the extract imperial oud released of sinesis agarwood.

(super sinking nha trang and other vietnam pieces from tony have been much more enjoyable and far stronger QPR)

Ensar:
    Brunei Kinam: falls somewhere between yellow oil kyara of kyarazen and a top top old brunei heartwood piece. the kianm in name is definitely appropriate as the notes are both that of kinam and the intensity is huge. if someone for the first time is looking to experience kinam/kyara i still think this is not it. best to go straight for the real deal, the actual vietnam kinam or even shin kyara from japanese houses (not great but good enough) or try kyarazen and see if you can manage to score 0.1 gram of the yellow or green oil kyara

Yamadamatsu:
    the kyara in their current rikoku gomi set is definitely young and not kyara kyara but shin kyara (read kyarazen on this). there is that old old heartwood nha trang note to this piece. honey vannilic, cooling and intense spearmint. somehow doesnt have the ethereal and that "dont know what i am getting but certainly there thing" i get in kyarazen green and even yellow oil kyara.

hope this entry is of help to fellow scent hounds.

cheers

^ What a a wonderful read!
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write share your impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasoul salehi View Post
    Impressions:

kyarazen:
    yellow oil kyara: yes, this will work just fine as an example of kinam/kyara for a virgin nose to get "it". intense, light clour honey, menthol, powdered milk note. "cooling" intense note mixed with "intense" sweetness is basically the profile here

[...]

cheers
    Good God... kinams and soil agarwood... my two Kryptonites!
    Don't forget to use the 'pump and cruise' method with the kinams/kyaras. Mind-boggling experience. As for the Phuoc Son ('Fuson') red soil wood, I suggest starting low, with only one very slow tapered pump near the beginning, and bringing it down to a low temp cruise for the remainder of the session.

I'm badly tempted to make some Phuoc Son red soil agarwood incense, and even crazier - distill an oil (tiny batch) from wild Thai soil agarwood. The problem is.. the cost.
    Any how, since you're into these high end WuShuangGe sticks, I'm now tempted to send you some of my own Nha Trang and Hainan sticks, see how those compare..

So many incredible varieties of Kyara, so little time and so few $$$ to experience all of it. Sadly, the current Japanese incense is sorely lacking from what I knew years ago and I don't think that is my imagination.

And now "soil agarwood", which is completely new verbiage to me.

Thanks for the amazing information guys! I'm going to need to get much deeper into the burn along with the amazing oils. :-)
    Last edited by evogel; 7th February 2018 at 05:08 PM.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    So many incredible varieties of Kyara, so little time and so few $$$ to experience all of it. Sadly, the current Japanese incense is sorely lacking from what I knew years ago and I don't think that is my imagination.

Thanks for the amazing information guys! I'm going to need to get much deeper into the burn along with the amazing oils. :-)
    enjoy the journey. it is a wonderful one. it may at first sound crazy to spend $100 or more on 0.1 gram but that 0.1 can be further spliced to 10-15 smaller pieces. all you need to have an experience is a teeny tiny bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    ^ What a a wonderful read!
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write share your impressions.
    my pleasure. enjoy the hunt and the journey

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tahasyed View Post
    Good God... kinams and soil agarwood... my two Kryptonites!
    Don't forget to use the 'pump and cruise' method with the kinams/kyaras. Mind-boggling experience. As for the Phuoc Son ('Fuson') red soil wood, I suggest starting low, with only one very slow tapered pump near the beginning, and bringing it down to a low temp cruise for the remainder of the session.

I'm badly tempted to make some Phuoc Son red soil agarwood incense, and even crazier - distill an oil (tiny batch) from wild Thai soil agarwood. The problem is.. the cost.
    Any how, since you're into these high end WuShuangGe sticks, I'm now tempted to send you some of my own Nha Trang and Hainan sticks, see how those compare..
    TEASE. you are a TEASE

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post

Yeah, these China-market grade woods are a deep black hole.. with a strong magnetic center. Better hold on tight to your wallet if you dare to venture close.
    But the aroma, ooooooohhhh the aroma. You've already smelled Kiyosumi and Wanmei. Now imagine little chips of kyara, when heated, emitting that same aroma and making your space smell like them.
    Then there's laterite soil agarwoods. Outside of China, hardly anyone even knows about them. And for a good reason. Crazy good stuff.

Hello, I kind of wanted to give this a bump, and hopefully acquire some ideas from you all that have some experience and expertise. I have just recently been diving into Kyara with some incense and a fragrance, but really wanted to see where I should begin with trying to purchase some chips to burn?? I will definitely look back through the previous posts and take some notes, but any main tips for a basic beginner in this area would be much appreciated!

- Any ideas for fragrances/chips/ or other burning incense

Thanks

Is Kinam/Kyara actually a different tree or just a name for high quality agarwood? I think you'll find different theories, but I believe it is just a name given to agarwood of the highest quality.
    Currently wearing: Oud Maximus by Bortnikoff

Quote Originally Posted by oudaddict View Post
    Is Kinam/Kyara actually a different tree or just a name for high quality agarwood? I think you'll find different theories, but I believe it is just a name given to agarwood of the highest quality.
    I think that is correct, also mainly from a specific region I think. Possibly the Vietnamese agarwood??