Code of Conduct
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default NEW: Yves Saint Laurent - Black Opium Eau de Toilette (2018) For Women!

The new fresh Eau de Toilette edition for 2018 is labeled as the Black Opium New Glowing Eau de Toilette and invites you to "experience the new fizzing addiction".

"Energetic, impulsive and addicted to fun, BLACK OPIUM EAU DE TOILETTE woman enjoys trying new experiences with her friends.

She lives in the moment and she is always in quest for the unexpected.

Her fragrance signature: the new glowing eau de toilette fizzing addiction."

The composition is a zesty and sweet floral-oriental with a recognizable gourmand coffee accord that is refreshed by pear and citrus accords in the top in this variant.

The heart is composed of white flowers placed on an oriental and woody base.

The bottle mixes the Black Opium legacy and the new attributes of The New Glowing Eau de Toilette: the signature shape with a new transparency which expresses the lightness and the freshness of the scent.

Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium Glowing Eau de Toilette is available in quantities of 50 and 90 ml.

Black Opium Eau de Toilette (2018) was created by Nathalie Lorson, Marie Salamagne, Honorine Blanc and Olivier Cresp.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Member

Default Re: NEW: Yves Saint Laurent - Black Opium Eau de Toilette (2018) For Women!

It is irritating how some houses, assuming that there is no intention, do not seem to realise how unnecessarily confusing these variants are. Is this going to replace the existing toilette? If so, is it different and also, is there a reason for this change? I see that patchouli was added, which until now has only or mainly been part of the composition of the parfum. Does this mean that this new version attempts to be an intermediary? And if so, may I send these concerns of mine to it?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: NEW: Yves Saint Laurent - Black Opium Eau de Toilette (2018) For Women!

I always wondered why I loved this franchise. It's the coffee! Our local Sephora had some kind of comparative display setup, and compared them to different coffees, and I still didn't make the mental connection of that being why I like this one so much. They all smelled great - I couldn't pick a favorite.

All 4 perfumers here have made stuff I love, too.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Basenotes Member

It is funny because I do not find coffee to be intriguing in fragrances, here though it is very creamy, like a deliciously rich dessert cream and that is beyond just an imagination. I perceive it as almost an actual texture. I also like its sweetness accompanied by darker contrasts and how it plays with certain associations.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xaml View Post
    It is funny because I do not find coffee to be intriguing in fragrances, here though it is very creamy, like a deliciously rich dessert cream and that is beyond just an imagination. I perceive it as almost an actual texture. I also like its sweetness accompanied by darker contrasts and how it plays with certain associations.
    There is a very nice balance of effects that I like. The original Opium (especially vintage EDT) had that, too, but with completely different accords. YSL seems generally unafraid to update classics and do homage in this way, rather than just timid tweaks. Kouros Silver only retains very high-level similarities to the original Kouros.

Wondering if a Black Opium Pour Homme is in the cards. I would very likely buy it!

Basenotes Member

I share what I assume to be your sentiment in regards to some of the reactions that the use of this name has caused. The original fragrance, which I believe to have never experienced, continues to be made available, in addition to certain special releases which some say have improved over time. I have to say that personally I do not need a male variant of line discussed here and I actually prefer it the way it is now. I only have a sample of the original eau de toilette of "Black Opium" and I would like to decide on whether to get it or the eau de parfum. I like that the eau de toilette has a refreshing element, but I would probably also welcome additional longevity of an eau de parfum. I have raised this question in another thread and so forgive me for asking it again but are there differences in composition to you? It might be of help to know that, as the eau de parfum seems to contain a licorice element, I am conflicted in regards to "Au Masculin" and "Hanae Mori".

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xaml View Post
    I share what I assume to be your sentiment in regards to some of the reactions that the use of this name has caused. The original fragrance, which I believe to have never experienced, continues to be made available, in addition to certain special releases which some say have improved over time. I have to say that personally I do not need a male variant of line discussed here and I actually prefer it the way it is now. I only have a sample of the original eau de toilette of "Black Opium" and I would like to decide on whether to get it or the eau de parfum. I like that the eau de toilette has a refreshing element, but I would probably also welcome additional longevity of an eau de parfum. I have raised this question in another thread and so forgive me for asking it again but are there differences in composition to you? It might be of help to know that, as the eau de parfum seems to contain a licorice element, I am conflicted in regards to "Au Masculin" and "Hanae Mori".
    I know that I can sense the differences among all three I have tested (EDT, EDP, Nuit Blanche), but those differences are subtle. The EDP does have really great longevity on paper, and the balance I love lasts longer that it does with the EDT. The EDP's richness is compelling, and the more vanillic, creamy nature of the Nuit Blanche flanker is also very attractive to me. I was not really looking for licorice, so I don't remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by xaml;4587684[B
    ]It is irritating how some houses, assuming that there is no intention, do not seem to realise how unnecessarily confusing these variants are.[/B] Is this going to replace the existing toilette? If so, is it different and also, is there a reason for this change? I see that patchouli was added, which until now has only or mainly been part of the composition of the parfum. Does this mean that this new version attempts to be an intermediary? And if so, may I send these concerns of mine to it?
    +1 I think Dior wins the prize here with Miss Dior which requires a veritable guidebook in order to navigate the various releases, none of which smell like the original Miss Dior. The numerous iterations, all called "Miss Dior," are so different from the original as to warrant totally different names. Dior obviously wants to capitalise on the iconic name and reputation of the original, much like YSL with Opium, but this strategy fell flat on me. Ironically, although I love the original Miss Dior, their endless recycling of the name actually has caused me to steer clear of them for the most part.

As for Opium, I love and own the original, but I have never tried any of the others including Black Opium. Me thinks a house's name and reputation and not an iconic fragrance's name should be the reason why customers should be interested in trying the house's new perfumes. Can you imagine how it would it be if great artists e.g. Michelangelo, had utilised YSL and Dior's approach with names? "You all know and love David, and now there is Black David, a new and stunning interpretation of the original that...." blah, blah, blah.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts

+1 Oriane.

Fresh & fizzy. First they give us fresh; now they give us fizzers. Fresh-smelling Fizzers.
    I wonder what’s wrong here?

Nonsense notes thrown together nonsensically.
    Last edited by Shemelimelle; 4th April 2019 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Swizzels Matlow Fizzers.
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)

Basenotes Member

Thank you, Redneck.

Quote Originally Posted by Oriane View Post
    Me thinks a house's name and reputation and not an iconic fragrance's name should be the reason why customers should be interested in trying the house's new perfumes.
    That could be a motivation, curiosity could also be. And the example that you mention sounds like it would have been hilarious. Though I think that there was not enough awareness and reflection at that time in order to even consider this particular kind of a variation. I have never experienced the original fragrance and this limits me from making any absolute statements but I tend to think that in regards to this flanker, it could be seen as somewhat of an acceptable example as I believe to be reminded of the poppy, which in my experience only "Flower" by Kenzo has evoked before. Alongside its sweetness, there is indeed a contrast or a darkness as it was referred to.