Code of Conduct
o

Default Top 5 Affordable Artisanal Ouds

Artisanal Ouds are precious treasures which can be exorbitantly expensive. But here and there some hidden gems do surface to bring us much joy. Hence I would like to share my personal list of favourite Oud oils from 2017 which were priced well. This should help beginners. These oils are as good if not better than their pricier cousins.

5. Malay Incens by House of Misk: a superb wild Malaysian oil with a healthy amount of foresty oudiness. Damp, earthy, vegetal tones in the opening drying into mineralic sweetness. Classic Malaysian feel and transitions. The oil needs to be applied lightly and not smudged. Under chin works best especially on a cold/pleasant windy day. Around 200USD/3ml.

4. Choco Bo Rai Extreme by Feel Oud: Sweet barny leather, caramelized tobacco, sweet molasses. Gives a very nice feeling to wearer. Excellent performance and complex transitions. Less is more. Around 120USD/3ml.

3. Maroke Noir by Feel Oud: Marokes (Aq. Filaria) are very unique in aroma. Medicinal, resinous, foresty. They are more about the feeling as compared to the fragrance aspect of Oud oils. They are non barny. Adam has presented this Maroke beauty in a very approachable manner. The bitter coffee-dark chocolate top notes add oomph to the textbook bittersweet forest floor dampness of Marokes. Very soulful. Needs a breeze to shine. And needs just a dab not a rub. Under the chin and earlobes. Longevity is average. Regardless, the most economical introduction to a very interesting Oud subtype. Around 250USD/3ml.

2. Laos 95 by Agarwood Assam. Agarwood Assam has been one of the best finds in my journey. Fantastic Wild Indian Oils at unbeatable prices. However, Laos 95 was a brilliant deal. 20 years of aging has mellowed down the sweet leather barn of Laos Oud. A soft, medicinal incense adds oomph to the oil. Drydown is sweet and delicious. The more you apply, the more it reveals. I am not sure if it is still available but it was released around 150usd/3ml. Best Laos ever released.

1. Sri Lankan Artisan by Feel Oud. Another gem by Adam. My first introduction to Wallapatta Gyrinops Oud from Sri Lanka. A unique, non-barny Oud species. Exquisite Oceanic tones, a little too fishy in the opening. Mid and heart notes being a brilliant peppery aroma, aged red sandalwood and cedar, sprinkled with forest greens. Incensy and perfumey like Wallapatta chips baked on low heat. Linear, yet long-lasting aroma which is refreshingly bright and uplifting. Great option for those who don't like barny Oud oils. I have sniffed a few Oils in the market with similar feel at double the price. Definite winner in my books. Around 250/3ml. It was a private release.

Honorable mentions: Mei Tei, Laos 99 & Manek 1 by Agarwood Assam, Jing Shen Liu by Ensar Oud, Bruneian Hues by House of Misk, Sri Pada by Imperial Oud.

Would really appreciate if you guys share your top 5s. Cheers.
    Last edited by exoticscents; 5th January 2018 at 08:14 AM.
    Currently wearing: Musk Aoud by Roja Dove

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Top 5 Affordable Artisanal Ouds

Is Choco Bo Rai Extreme still available? I thought it was gone.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Kolonya by Rasei Fort

Basenotes Member

great list already above.

i would add harita from agar aura $250 as a great sri lankan, green, summer, invigorating oil.

ensar oud yusuf or jing shen lu for dried fruits, floral and gourmand quality of former and same notes alogn with more piercing green, cooling ntoes, green tea in latter.

the new people's sultan at $150 from ensar sounds like is on a mission to beat any oud in or near its pricing. if other entry levels like aroha... are any indication this oil is liekly going to punch WAY above its weight.

for a bitter medicinal fresh unearthed ginseng and yellow beets chinese oud look to fragrant harbour from imperial oud.

Does anyone have a link for the Laos 95 by Agarwood Assam?

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Does anyone have a link for the Laos 95 by Agarwood Assam?
    even at the day of the OP this were long gone, only the Malay and the maroke were available not sure if still are, laos 95 was sold out in a few days around middle of last year.
    Lao 95 was the best oud money can buy and the best bargain of the last few years.
    Last edited by peter4ptv; 11th January 2018 at 11:28 PM.
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1993 - Insense by Givenchy
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

Quote Originally Posted by peter4ptv View Post
    even at the day of the OP this were long gone, only the Malay and the maroke were available not sure if still are, laos 95 was sold out in a few days around middle of last year.
    Lao 95 was the best oud money can buy and the best bargain of the last few years.
    Boo! If anyone wants to part with theirs, pm me.

Basenotes Plus

What are today’s top 5 affordables?