Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tauer L'Oudh

o

Default Re: Tauer L'Oudh

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    You're killin' me remik! Hahaha. I might need to check this one out. Maybe I'll be responsible for once and grab a decant.
    Please do, because I know you're a Russian Oud owner. I imagine anyone that blind buys L'Oudh at retail (which is more than Russian oud I might add) while owning Russian Oud will be quite pissed.

It's an enjoyable oud frag but probably only "$150 enjoyable", but hey it's your money and you can do what you like.

Thanks to generous basenoter mikeperez, I was able to give this one a try last night.

I mostly get hints of castoreum and oud against a tall wall of smokey-oily-inky nagarmotha. I wish the cypriol was used in a lower dosage so I could get to the more refined nuances of the oud and castoreum. I love me a good smokey, oily and murky fragrance and this ticks all those boxes...but not at this price point. Not to say that this isn't any good, but smokey fragrances are not something I typically pay a premium for. So many expensive and wonderful ingredients in this didn't really have a chance to shine...the funk of the oud, the old must of castoreum and that creamy dry wood of Mysore never really make an appearance for me. A really well blended sludgy dark motor-oil esque fragrance - A different take on smokey -- Smoke without the BBQ or incense.
    MadHat Scents

Under the Shade of Santal - (A dark, woody-spicy fragrance devoted to sandalwood, specifically santal album.)

Tears of Boswellia - (Incense & Woods with 4-year old Boswellia Tear Tincture.)

Basenotes Institution

rynegne - I do notice that the notes tend to 'separate' more when I spray it on, rather than dab it on. Maybe that's why.

But I see what you mean about the deeper, more complex elements, being hidden underneath the stronger, woody and smoky parts.

I also notice that when I spray this on fabric the oud is much more tenacious.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

The darkest Tauer yet. Closer to Lonestar Memories / Lonesome Rider in creating the olfactory illusion of an exploding petrol station in a desert, but even those two will feel "pretty" next to L'Oud, an endless black hole of billowing black fumes. Don't get me wrong. I'm not suffocating on this thing, but rather diving straight in. I actually love it, but agree that perhaps the cheaper elements (smoke, rather... exhaust) are so strong that the expensive and highly prized natural elements could have been left out and you might not notice—at least at the onset, or on skin.

If you're testing this... spray in on paper at the same time as you spray on skin. WOW. Never sensed such a distinction in how the adhesion surface affects the illusion of a fragrance. Suddenly (on paper), this is a rich, woody OUD and bone-dry-vetiver scent afterall. It's still quite dark, and I don't get the warmth of castoreum or sandalwood, but definintely enjoying a beautiful oud whose smoke is of its own creation—not the collateral damage of heavy cypriol that masks the native characteristics of oud on my skin. In the drydown, I do get suggestions of these elements, but think they will be best on clothing.

I think this will be a great fragrance to layer over an attar - perhaps Tauer's own (not nearly as dry as L'Oud), though I'd be more likely to go for something even warmer and perhaps a bit creamier... sandalwood.

I'm happy L'Oud is not at all floral or Herbal. Happy it's not citric. Happy there's no powder here. This is quintessential Andy Tauer and, if you like his style—turned up to 11, you should definitely check this out. Seems expensive. But I imagine I'd be arrested in Singapore for spraying more than once (on a sidenote... has anyone ever worked Durian into a scent?) so I imagine this will last a few lifetimes.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (the femme version), Ubar, Tribute, Badr Al Badour, Opus VI • Puredistance M, Sheiduna • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, 1861 Renaissance, 1888 (Casamorati), Uden, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale, Fidelis • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Cafe Milano, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Baque • MDCI Chypre Palatin • Nicoläi Vie de Chateau Intense, Oud Sublime, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud, Oud Ispahan, Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Songe d'un Bois d'Ete, Oud Essentiel • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Nawab of Oudh Intensivo • Papillon Anubis • Bogue Maai •

Basenotes Institution

Great comments FumeHood. Have you 'dabbed' it on skin, as opposed to spraying it on? If so, did it wear any differently for you?

The last time I wore L'Oudh I sprayed it on and experienced that intense smoky/charred/solvent smell you've described. I made a mental note then - Mike, just dab this one on! lol

Great idea about layering it with sandalwood. I'm gonna try that next time I wear it. Or for that matter I might spray a tiny bit on some sandalwood oil and wear it in my hair.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Just tried L'Oudh today, after a long period of not trying anything new and generally feeling uninspired by perfume.

This may have snapped me out of it. Beautiful, dark, a little animalic, wearable. Lots of wood and damp earth. If it smells like any other perfume I'd say a cross between Kurkdjian's Oud Cashmere Mood and Xerjoff's Oud Stars Zafar (both of which I like a lot). But warmer and friendlier, if that makes any sense.

I went to my favorite shop to smell L'annee 25 but might need this instead.

Basenotes Institution

I have to be in the mood to wear this one, but when I am it really satisfies.

Andy has a bath soap he made named "Solar Engineer", I have a bar in my shower now. There is a whiff of the smell of this soap in L'Oudh.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Wearing it today evening. Medicinal, rubbery, yet approachable, wearable, very balanced. Lots of cypriol.

This is definitely worth checking out. Very well composed.
    Currently wearing: New West for Him by Aramis

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Wearing it today evening. Medicinal, rubbery, yet approachable, wearable, very balanced. Lots of cypriol.

I agree. I don't wear it regularly but when I do its so quietly satisfying.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I've fallen a little bit in love with this.

Oh dear...
    "Colourless green ideas sleep furiously."
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I can't imagine why anyone would want to smell like this. This is the worst perfume I've ever smelled why would you want to smell like burnt tires and rotten mushrooms??

Basenotes Junkie Andy the frenchy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I agree. I don't wear it regularly but when I do its so quietly satisfying.
    Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    I've fallen a little bit in love with this.
    My thoughts also. I just wish it was cheaper... Enjoying my sample 1 spray at a time during relaxed nights at home... while it lasts

I agree this one is perfect when it’s perfect(that seems to be a crisp rainy day for me, while I open the windows but stay inside).

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    I can't imagine why anyone would want to smell like this. This is the worst perfume I've ever smelled why would you want to smell like burnt tires and rotten mushrooms??
    Haha - fair enough. As to the 'why'...not sure. Just feels right. Feels natural, earthy, masculine, rugged etc. all those things men have tried to find in perfumery for most of the 20th Century as well. This just uses oud and Arabic components to get there - but really, it smells very Westernised to me, and is the perfect mid point between East and West. Arabic scents are a bit too much for me, but this is as much about woods and, fortunately, styrax and cypriol which makes it less pungent and more earthy (mushroom/truffles). It's the niche version of Encre Noire in my opinion - earthy, musty, daring, challenging, alluring, and takens 'real' scents not typical to perfume, and added to the natural body, smells amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    My thoughts also. I just wish it was cheaper... Enjoying my sample 1 spray at a time during relaxed nights at home... while it lasts
    Yeah, price is disappointing, but I'm honestly leaning towards buying a bottle at the moment. Am I mad? Possibly...

To give a bit of a running review on this, I've tried it twice now on skin, and twice on paper, with the second piece of paper being saved - it's a good 5 days old or so, I think, maybe more.

Each time on skin I've enjoyed it, but the rubber/petrol smell people mention is incredibly prominent when wearing it, to the detriment of the other ingredients.

On paper, however...wow. It's just so clearly a majestic, wonderful fragrance.

This is one of the most volatile scents I've tried on skin, and probably the most disappointing in terms of difference between paper and skin. I haven't tried it nearly enough to give up on it but this is worth mentioning.

My second point, though, is what's happened to this paper after a few days. It's now gloriously balsamic as well as everything else, and is honestly an absolutely beautiful masculine Western oriental scent. Just about pefect.

I wonder, then...in terms of application...due to the cost of this fragrance (nearly £5 per ml) and its incredible longevity, if it might not be better as something applied to a scarf or similar item of clothing, allowed to drydown or at least hold the scent for a while, and then worn that way. As not only am I scared to overapply this on skin - but also don't want to waste the scent by underapplying, either. And, of course, if it takes hours if not days to really reveal the very best elements of the drydown, then given how divisive this fragrance is, and how situation-specific, I can see this being quite hard to apply. For instance, how many mornings are you going to deem this suitable? And how many days would you want to smell like this from 7am onwards? Yet if you apply on a cold winter evening, are you just going to smell like rubber for a few hours before washing it off?

All questions that remain up in the air for me, but I thought I'd note this down as I wonder if anyone has had a similar approach or thoughts of applying some to the skin, but also some to an article of clothing days before they intend to wear the fragrance.